The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care?

4 posters

Go down

Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care? Empty Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care?

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 24 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

I caught most of the final Maximum Impact show at Wembley but was mostly disappointed, apart from the main event.

I was surprised they used the Ultimate X rig for the opening tag Team title match. The 3-way match between The Wolves, The Revolution's Sanada & Manik and Bromans (DJZ standing in for Robbie E) wasn't bad, but seemed to lack the high-risk action these guys normally go for, resulting in a decent, if not brilliant match (maybe a result of the presence of the towers and cables?)

I think having 6 guys in the ring at times, made it a bit too chaotic and it lacked fluency and natural progression in places. Still reasonably entertaining though and happy that the Wolves retained their belts.

Couple of interesting moments. One where Aries called out the BDC to return his Feast or Fired briefcase. He ended up challenging Low-Ki to a winner-takes-all match for both the briefcase and the X Division title. Ki told Aries he'd have to earn them by beating Samoa Joe and a predictably good match followed (those two always seem to work well together). Aries won despite interference by Low Ki. Ki then tried to take Aries out with the briefcase, but Aries ducked and Joe ended up getting knocked out. Aries then used the distraction to floor Low Ki and get his case back (but not the title).

Cue a shaven-headed Spud running down the ramp, past Aries, with his own briefcase, yelling he was going to cash in his X Division title shot. Spud jumps in the ring, summons the ref and pins the still-stunned Ki to "win" the X Division belt.

Disappointed they decided to go this route. I'd have liked to see him have a proper title match in his home country. He didn't seem any the worse for wear, having spilled so much claret in his Hair vs Hair match with EC3, so I can't think he was under medical restrictions. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if he can defend his belt...and if so, how long for. If nothing else he deserves the strap for his loyal service to date.

This was followed by a frankly unnecessary segment with Magnus giving Bram a good beating all around Wembley Arena. Surprising how little resistance Bram offered, given he's meant to be a monster heel. Yes it provides continuity to their feud and follows on from Bram humiliating Magnus in the previous show, but wasn't really much of a spectacle in itself...they could have just left this as a shorter backstage segment.

Missed most of the Knockouts title match. For some reason it was a 3-way between Terrell, Kong and Gail Kim. Taryn and Gail decided to work together to take Kong out of the equation, with Taryn pinning Gail to retain her title.

Following that was a no-disqualification grudge match between Matt Hardy and James Storm which basically turned into a Monster's Ball match with chairs, trashcans and drawing pins. Some pretty good action, but again the match was spoiled as the rest of the Revolution were patrolling ringside and interfering at every opportunity. You could say it made Hardy look strong, taking them all on at once, but the outcome felt inevitable from the start.

The main event. Lashley vs Angle. For the Heavyweight title. For me it lived up to its billing and made the show worth watching. A little slow paced at times...but then I suppose you have to take into account Angle is in the twilight of his career. For me it just made it more incredible he put on such a match with Lashley.

A few German suplexes too many for my liking...but then they are one of Angle's stock moves. Both men showed a mix of technique and power throughout the match, with both kicking out of each other's finishers on a number of occasions as the match neared its conclusion, ramping up the tension.

Kurt survived a Lashley spear and managed to deliver an Angle slam (no mean feat on a guy Lashley's size) and for his part Bobby survived the slam and an ankle lock. Angle eventually got the win, forcing Lashley to tap out with a second ankle lock.

For the first time ever I actually felt myself getting a little emotional as Kurt celebrated his win. Maybe not the best title match I've ever seen, but for some indefinable reason it felt like a genuinely big moment.

Also worth noting the Wembley crowd were very vocal for much of the show.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care? Empty Re: Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care?

Post by Adam D Tue 24 Mar 2015, 9:34 am

The powerbomb by Magnus on the ramp was brutal!

I havent seen the main event yet but I have read it was a really good match so will check it out later. Didnt mind the cash in by spud.

And that was Joey Samoeys lastmatch for TNA by the way.

I really enjoyed last weeks EC3 vs Spud match by the way and the way EC3 swerved a face turn!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care? Empty Re: Angle vs Lashley...anyone watch...anyone care?

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 24 Mar 2015, 9:43 am

To think EC3 was one a lad called Derek Bateman. My favourite wrestler in TNA in a long time.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:19 am

Adam D wrote:The powerbomb by Magnus on the ramp was brutal!

I havent seen the main event yet but I have read it was a really good match so will check it out later. Didnt mind the cash in by spud.

And that was Joey Samoeys lastmatch for TNA by the way.

I really enjoyed last weeks EC3 vs Spud match by the way and the way EC3 swerved a face turn!

I was actually a bit worried for Bram after getting dropped on the ramp like that, (wonder if that was intentional or did Magnus get a bit carried away?) but overall I didn't think the whole segment needed to be that long, or take up any ring time.

I'll be sad to see Joe leave. He may not be the best wrestler, but he can still move well for a big guy and is a great character. I think I read somewhere he's going to ROH now?

Agree about EC3 too - he just keeps getting better as a character. For a few seconds I really thought he was turning face! Would be a waste though as he is a fantastic heel.

nadeem2099 wrote:
To think EC3 was one a lad called Derek Bateman. My favourite wrestler in TNA in a long time.

You mean he's not really called Ethan Carter?!?!?! Shocked
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:34 am

Agent B.
Agent D.
Derrick Bateman
Ethan Carter III
Michael Hutter
Mike Hutter

These are all the names he's worked under according to wiki. Agent B Laugh
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 24 Mar 2015, 2:23 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:I'll be sad to see Joe leave. He may not be the best wrestler, but he can still move well for a big guy and is a great character. I think I read somewhere he's going to ROH now?

He's already appeared a few times for Ring of Honour, by all accounts he's finished with them by mid-April and has signed with WWE.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down