The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread

+18
LivinginItaly
liverbnz
king_carlos
Fernando
Hoggy_Bear
wisden
Good Golly I'm Olly
Mike Selig
dummy_half
NickisBHAFC
Gregers
Corporalhumblebucket
packofwolves
JDizzle
Mat
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
LondonTiger
22 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread Empty 2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread

Post by LondonTiger Thu 26 Mar 2015, 4:15 pm

As pretty much every poster that follows County Cricket seems to be a Surrey fan I am sure the Division 2 discussions will be livelier.

Hopefully there are some followers of other counties to write a little bit about their team, but as a Yorkshire member it is them I shall concentrate on.

The start of the season will be an interesting one for us. Andrew Gale will miss the first fixture at Worcester as he completes his ban. Meanwhile the first 3 CC fixtures coincide with Englands tour of the WI meaning some unfamiliar faces will be featuring against Worcester, Notts and  the first home fixture against Warwickshire. With the County unlikely to see a great deal of Root and Ballance it is nor surprise that ewe have chosen to go down the batsman route as our overseas player - Aaron Finch returns as the main player, with Younus Khan deputising at the start of the season and Kane Williamson at the end. Glenn Maxwell makes up a quality group of players, joining for the T20s.

Squad:

Batsmen: Lyth, Lees, Gale (cpt), Finch (see above), Leaning, Root, Ballance
Keepers: Bairstow, Hodd
All Rounders: Rashid, Bresnan, Rhodes, Pyrah
Seamers: Plunkett, Brooks, Sidebottom, Patterson, Ashraf, Coad, Fisher
Spinners: Carver

Likely team for first match, away to Worcestershire:

Hodd, Lees, Leaning, Younus, Rhodes, Bresnan, Pyrah, Patterson, Sidebottom, Brooks, Carver.

Compared to the side likely to finish the season against Susses (injuries permitting):

Lyth, Lees, Williamson, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Rashid, Bresnan, Plunkett, Sidebottom, Brooks.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:20 pm

Tiger - probably inevitable with 6 of your players picked for the Windies tour but feel you could be up against it to begin with. Your batting looks particularly light with Hodd pushed up to open and Bresnan coming in at 6. I don't know your spinner Carver - is he the best bet for April? Any possibility of replacing him with an up and coming batsman?

Anyway, good luck for the season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2015 - Division 1 Discussion Thread

Post by jimbohammers Fri 27 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

Tiger OK

As a Hants fan we look really light with the bowling options. Especially with Matt Coles leaving. He was a big player for us last season. Also no Kyle Abbott, who took a lot of wickets for us.

We've got Jackson Bird playing for us at some point but until then ill 'attack' is likely to be Wood, Tomlinson, Briggs, Barber and a bit of Ervine + Berg. We could struggle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Mar 2015, 1:54 pm

Hi Jimbo - as you're there and to save me looking him up, who is Barber?

Not convinced about your signing of Berg but wish all your boys the best for this summer.

PS Several of the Surrey supporters here including myself were very sorry to see that Michael Bates had been released. Apparently, he's still looking for another county. An indictment of the game if a new home can't be found for such a fine young keeper. See, we're not totally insular, Tiger!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm

Hi Guildford,

Barber is an up and coming left arm fast bowler. He has played for the Eng u19s and is a very good prospect. We don't have a lot of options at the moment, so wouldn't be surprised if he got a few games. He is in the squad to face Surrey tomorrow in a friendly, was hoping to get down there but don't think I can make it!

I'm too not convinced by Berg. He's been brought in to replace Coles, but Coles is far better in my opinion, we've lost a lot of bowling there.

I'm still gutted about Bates being released. A lot has been made about his batting, which is extremely harsh in my opinion. I actually prefer him to Wheater. He's far too good not to get another club, I read the other day actually that he's been training with Essex. A possible James Foster replacement? Both unbelievable with the gloves!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

We(Worcestershire) might have a chance in the first game of the season then with all of these Yorkshire players who aren't around.

We'll only be missing Moeen and Ajmal I think, unless some injuries crop up prior to the game. But considering it's April, can't see spin playing all that much of a part.

Team wise, limited options means the batting pretty much picks itself unless one of the younger lads gets a call-up. Steve Rhodes' son George has two centuries in his last three games for the second XI, would be funny to see him in the team considering I played against him, and lost heavily.

Will be interesting to see which pacers are given the nod though. If I were to guess at a team it'd be something like:

Mitchell(C), Oliver, Kohler-Cadmore, Kervezee, Gidman, Fell, Cox, Leach, Andrew, Shantry, Morris.

There's been a lot of talk about Ross Whitely working hard on his bowling over the winter and he may well play in place of Leach or if Rhodes wants five bowlers, then Kervezee would probably drop out of the side. Shantry might be a bit low in the order in that side, considering his Ian Botham-esque game against Surrey last season(Sorry Guildford etc al about bringing that up!)

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:15 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Tiger OK

As a Hants fan we look really light with the bowling options. Especially with Matt Coles leaving. He was a big player for us last season. Also no Kyle Abbott, who took a lot of wickets for us.

We've got Jackson Bird playing for us at some point but until then ill 'attack' is likely to be Wood, Tomlinson, Briggs, Barber and a bit of Ervine + Berg. We could struggle

Whooops, i forgot about Andre Adams Erm

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 04 Apr 2015, 6:22 pm

Mat wrote:We(Worcestershire) might have a chance in the first game of the season then with all of these Yorkshire players who aren't around.

We'll only be missing Moeen and Ajmal I think, unless some injuries crop up prior to the game. But considering it's April, can't see spin playing all that much of a part.

Team wise, limited options means the batting pretty much picks itself unless one of the younger lads gets a call-up. Steve Rhodes' son George has two centuries in his last three games for the second XI, would be funny to see him in the team considering I played against him, and lost heavily.

Will be interesting to see which pacers are given the nod though. If I were to guess at a team it'd be something like:

Mitchell(C), Oliver, Kohler-Cadmore, Kervezee, Gidman, Fell, Cox, Leach, Andrew, Shantry, Morris.

There's been a lot of talk about Ross Whitely working hard on his bowling over the winter and he may well play in place of Leach or if Rhodes wants five bowlers, then Kervezee would probably drop out of the side. Shantry might be a bit low in the order in that side, considering his Ian Botham-esque game against Surrey last season(Sorry Guildford etc al about bringing that up!)

Mat - looks like Shantry is happy enough to concentrate on his bowling so far. Incredible match figures of 10/26 off 31.3 overs in Worcs' demolition of Oxford MCCU.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 04 Apr 2015, 6:46 pm

Thinks Worcs could struggle a lot this year, unless Ajmal takes stacks and stacks of wickets. Not seen a lot of Senanayake in FC cricket, but he doesn't get into SL's Test even though he does have a brilliant FC record. Hoping to see Barnard and Clarke get some action this year, prodigies of mine...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sat 04 Apr 2015, 9:33 pm

I'm quietly confident that the young lads that have come through the ranks aw Worcester over the last couple of seasons have enough ability to surprise a few sides in Div 1 this year. Charlie Morris is a real class operator with the ball, Tom Fell has a very calm head on young shoulders and Tom Kohler-Cadmore just seems to have something a bit special about him. With the experience of older heads like Mitchell and Gidman, the folklore laden Shantry and a hopefully just as effective Ajmal from July I think we'll be able to compete.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:25 am

I actually think Worcestershire will be ok. Although they will miss Moeen a lot! Shantry will always take wickets, Morris sounds impressive and I think in terms of batting Mitchell is a top player. I think they will have enough to stay up.

I think the teams that could be in trouble this year are Sussex and Middlesex.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:26 am

Jimbo - as regards Sussex's chances this year, I think they'll be heavily dependent upon Magoffin. I rate him highly but cannot say the same about new signing Mills.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 07 Apr 2015, 5:24 pm

Guildford, they look weak in the batting department to me, Shazhad and Mills very hit and miss too.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 08 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm

JDizzle wrote: Hoping to see Barnard and Clarke get some action this year, prodigies of mine...

Prodigies or proteges - or indeed both?! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

Barnard took 5 fer in the friendly against Northants yesterday. Wickets included Levi and Wakely. I'd say he's closer to 1st XI action than Clarke at the moment, although with Leach, Whiteley and Andrew all available for the all rounder role he may still struggle to get a game in the four day side without the help of injuries.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:00 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
JDizzle wrote: Hoping to see Barnard and Clarke get some action this year, prodigies of mine...

Prodigies or proteges - or indeed both?! Wink

Haha, clearly my fingers wouldn't let me type the outrageous lie that they actually are my proteges! That or a lack of basic English. The overall point still stands! Whistle

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

Looking forward to a big season on the south coast this year, especially with hants back in the division. Mills looking to be a cracking signing but think our batting could be exposed as we still haven't replaced Goodwin. Hopefully this is there season that wells or machin kick on

Nash and Joyce key as always but reckon cachopra will be our stand out batsman. reckon we've got a chance at all 3 comps this year with mahela for t20

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 12 Apr 2015, 1:54 pm

Joyce is gonna have to save us at Hampshire. I think we have the best bowling attack in the league but I still feel we need a key batsman.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 12 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

Some great batting from Luke Wright and Ben Brown has put us probably in control at hampshire.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 13 Apr 2015, 11:36 am

Our bowling 'attack' is so weak, yet our batting is strong. Wouldn't surprise me if we drew every game this season Laugh

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Apr 2015, 12:57 pm

400 up for Sussex, who are making good job of supporting Jimbo's prediction about the Hants bowling. Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 13 Apr 2015, 2:36 pm

Superb batting from Ben Brown 144 unbeaten as the Sharks are all out for 444. Time for our bowlers to do the job!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 13 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm

Who said our batting is strong? 58-4 Rolling Eyes

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Who said our batting is strong? 58-4 Rolling Eyes

You'll be telling me next that even Mills has got a wicket!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:45 pm

Now Vince falls to McMuffin. 95 - 6 Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Apr 2015, 4:49 pm

Meanwhile - it's the Collingwood show for Durham as he takes 5 wickets then scores a century (unbeaten so far) against Somerset. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:36 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Meanwhile - it's the Collingwood show for Durham as he takes 5 wickets then scores a century (unbeaten so far) against Somerset. clap

He's a canny lad that Collingwood. The ECB could do a lot worse (and almost certainly will!) than start thinking about a role for him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 13 Apr 2015, 5:41 pm

Get him in the side!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Mon 13 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

Interesting article on cricinfo about a favourite of a few on here - Michael Bates.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/story/859595.html

Meanwhile i think Worcester today have shown one of the areas that we may be found a little wanting in this year - ruthlessness. Yorkshire at one stage were 193/7 but have closed on 298/9. Still, i would've taken that, two days in against the champions.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 13 Apr 2015, 9:14 pm

Hampshire being torn apart by us! 

Just hope this isn't standard Sussex though, off to a flyer and then slowly crumble and crumble and crumble and crumble. 

Feel sorry for Ben Brown, good little player and keeper but just can't see him ever getting a lookin as I think Butler is the man for years and years to come!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 14 Apr 2015, 2:58 pm

packofwolves wrote:Interesting article on cricinfo about a favourite of a few on here - Michael Bates.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/story/859595.html

Meanwhile i think Worcester today have shown one of the areas that we may be found a little wanting in this year - ruthlessness. Yorkshire at one stage were 193/7 but have closed on 298/9. Still, i would've taken that, two days in against the champions.

Yorkshire added a handful this morning, to leave essentially no difference after the first innings, and then blasted Worcs out for 100 even in the absence of Sidebottom (calf strain while batting). Patterson taking 5-11 and Brooks 4-28. 105 needed to get the season off to a winning start - impressive considering how depleted the side is currently.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 14 Apr 2015, 3:42 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Hampshire being torn apart by us! 

Just hope this isn't standard Sussex though, off to a flyer and then slowly crumble and crumble and crumble and crumble. 

Feel sorry for Ben Brown, good little player and keeper but just can't see him ever getting a lookin as I think Butler is the man for years and years to come!

Buttler, Bairstow, Billings - a lot of good young wicketkeepers around Nick

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 14 Apr 2015, 4:11 pm

And Yorkshire finish things off very quickly for a 10 wicket win. Pretty amazing day given that at the start of the day they were still to finish their first innings...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 14 Apr 2015, 4:31 pm

Hampshire fighting back, bowling Sussex out for 164.

Game on...

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 14 Apr 2015, 5:30 pm

Would love to say Yorkshire blew Worcester away, but sadly the home team completely capitulated.

Was good to see Will Rhodes get some runs in the second innings.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Apr 2015, 5:41 pm

LondonTiger - still a cracking effort and great start to the season for Yorks. Especially with more than half of your first choice XI in the West Indies!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Hampshire fighting back, bowling Sussex out for 164.

Game on...

... sorry, Jimbo but Carberry falling late in the day gives the initiative back to Sussex. As mentioned before, I rate Magoffin and feel he'll be a thorn in your side tomorrow. Good luck anyway!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 14 Apr 2015, 11:47 pm

Guildford, you're right we're still underdogs. The decision to send in our best batsman Vince in at 6.30pm was bizarre to say the least. What happened to a nightwatchman...

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:40 am

2 early wickets for Matt Hobden this morning puts us bsck in control. 4 wickets to go, come on sussex!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm

Nick - a 3rd morning wicket for your boys as the Ice Man melts under Shahzad's heat!

Sorry, Jimbo, but surely only a question now of whether Hants will take it past lunch ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:16 pm

Yorkshire do seem a cut above. I know it's early days but I feel they might run away with things a bit this year.

I fear for Middlesex, I really do. Robson seems to have lost a lot of confidence since struggling for (and then being dropped by) England, and the batting seems prone to this monumental collapses far too often. What is needed is for Compton and Voges/whoever replaces him to add some solidity, and hopefully the younger players like Gubbins/Stirling can come in and score a few. If they do then that will put more pressure on people like Malan/Morgan to start scoring runs more regularly.

The bowling looks fine still, even more so if Patel can start to fulfil some of his potential. I can see us getting 20 wickets regularly, but scoring enough runs to stay in the contest may well be a problem.

Decent fighting effort in this innings so far though (cue flurry of wickets before lunch).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

I was the one who said sir Chris Jordan will be the next best thing. I'm now calling it again for someone else. 

In other news, 2 wickets to win!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:44 pm

Nick - you haven't always been so supportive of ''Sir'' Chris though, have you? Who are you calling it for now? Maybe the re-emergence of Andrew Miller?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:50 pm

Chris Wood now gone. If i had any hope left it has now gone Sad

The first day the killer for Hants, having Sussex 22-3 then 128-5 and letting them off the hook, scoring over 400 Rolling Eyes

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2015, 12:52 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Yorkshire do seem a cut above. I know it's early days but I feel they might run away with things a bit this year.

I fear for Middlesex, I really do. Robson seems to have lost a lot of confidence since struggling for (and then being dropped by) England, and the batting seems prone to this monumental collapses far too often. What is needed is for Compton and Voges/whoever replaces him to add some solidity, and hopefully the younger players like Gubbins/Stirling can come in and score a few. If they do then that will put more pressure on people like Malan/Morgan to start scoring runs more regularly.

The bowling looks fine still, even more so if Patel can start to fulfil some of his potential. I can see us getting 20 wickets regularly, but scoring enough runs to stay in the contest may well be a problem.

Decent fighting effort in this innings so far though (cue flurry of wickets before lunch).

Mike - amazing performance by Yorks, particularly when you consider that 6 of their first teamers are in the West Indies. Clearly a great job being done by Gillespie. I always like him when he's in the Sky studio. Never arrogant but suitably self confident to say when he doesn't know the answer to a particular question rather than huff and puff as too many others do.

Re Middlesex's batting - I was impressed by Andrew Balbirnie's performances for Ireland in the World Cup, especially his temperament and reading of each match situation. I noticed that Gary Wilson praised him in that last regard. He made the squad for Middlesex's CC opener but not the eleven. I feel Middlesex could do worse than give him an opportunity.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:10 pm

Mike Selig wrote:

Well, there was just one but in the very final over before lunch. Young Gubbins falling to Patel. He'll be absolutely gutted - saw him in a seconds' match at Guildford last year and got the impression he was normally a hard hitting batter. Credit to him for holding out so long this morning but what a disappointment to go when he did. Massive confidence booster for Notts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:14 pm

Gubbins out just before lunch Crying or Very sad (I like Gubbins, really solid temperament) the collapse starts here... Yes Balbirnie is another who should be keeping the pressure on. I think this season should be crunch time for someone like Malan (of whoom I am a bit fan) and I guess Morgan to a lesser extent - he has too much talent to play seasons averaging in the mid 30s. Stirling also has to come of age somewhat - he's been this big talent for a while now. Start scoring big regularly or risk losing your place IMO. Although with his injured finger that point may well become moot.

I like Gillespie a lot as well guildford. Could well be Australia's next head coach. I admire people who are honest enough and confident enough (it takes a lot of confidence) to admit that they don't know, or even that they got it wrong.

As an aside I dislike the current narrative in politics in which a change of opinion is dubbed a "U-turn" or "reneging on a pledge", and the politician described as "two-face" or "uncertain" (uncertain isn't always a bad thing BTW; there are loads of things in life I am uncertain about) or whatever. Changing ones minds (especially if done because circumstances/evidence has changed) is basically saying that you were wrong before, and is not necessarily a bad thing.

To bring it back to cricket, the same applies really. In all roles you learn from your mistakes, you learn from your experience and as circumstances change so might your tactics etc. Somebody who is never wrong is surely too fixed in his ways and that can't be a good thing. As a coach myself I always say when I run coach ed courses that the day I think I'll have nothing more to learn is the day I should stop coaching.  

Sorry, I seem to have drifted somewhat.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm

Things looking bad for Middlesex. 6 down now and Malan with a damaged finger unlikely to bat. Surprised young bowler Helm has gone in at number 8 ahead of the more experienced Murtagh who is no mug with the bat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 15 Apr 2015, 5:32 pm

Great start to the season at Hampshire, Ben Brown and Luke Wright the pick of the batsman. Matt Hobden the pick of the bowlers, hopefully his breakthrough season.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2015, 5:39 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Things looking bad for Middlesex. 6 down now and Malan with a damaged finger unlikely to bat. Surprised young bowler Helm has gone in at number 8 ahead of the more experienced Murtagh who is no mug with the bat.

Well, Helm didn't last long but Harris and Murtagh currently making an impressive attempt to grit the day out ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next