The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescott: Khan's scared

+13
manos de piedra
joeyjojo618
eddyfightfan
Young_Towzer
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
licence_007
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Jimmythebullet
Irrational
HumanWindmill
Liam_Main
Pedro147
17 posters

Go down

Prescott: Khan's scared Empty Prescott: Khan's scared

Post by Pedro147 Mon 30 May 2011, 12:40 pm

Breidis Prescott has accused Amir Khan of being too "scared" to face him in a rematch.

Prescott remains the only man to beat Khan, inflicting a stunning 54-second knockout on the Bolton fighter in 2008 at the MEN Arena.

Khan, though, has bounced back from that loss to win - and successfully defend - the WBA light-welterweight title.

However Prescott, who was outclassed by Kevin Mitchell in 2009, is refusing to let Khan forget about that blemish on his record and the Colombian wants to go toe-to-toe with the Briton once again.

Prescott: Has accused Khan of running.
Khan has seen potential fights with Timothy Bradley and Zab Judah hit the buffers in recent weeks - and Prescott is insisting that he is the right man to step in.

Prescott said: "I don't get this guy. He's supposed to be a champion. Okay act like it.

"I shouldn't be calling you out. You should be banging down my door for this fight.

"Every time they tell Amir Khan's story on television they always cut to me knocking him out and yet my phone never rings.

"Why is that, Amir? You're supposedly a totally different fighter now, but apparently you're still as scared as ever of me."

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Firstly, do you believe there is any truth in what Prescott is saying. Secondly, do you think there is a possibility of this happening and what would the public's reaction be?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Prescott: Khan's scared Empty Re: Prescott: Khan's scared

Post by Liam_Main Mon 30 May 2011, 12:44 pm

Khan is a total different fighter too when they fought first time around. He won't fall for the same mistakes and certainly wouldn't just stand infront of Prescott like he did in the first. Late stoppage victory for Khan.

Can only see this fight happening if Khan loses his WBA belt.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 30 May 2011, 12:46 pm

I don't believe for one second that Khan is scared of Prescott, and I don't believe that Prescott believes it, either. My guess is that he's simply upping the rhetoric in an effort to get a big money fight, either with Khan or somebody else.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Irrational Mon 30 May 2011, 12:47 pm

Prescott brings nothing new to the table and Khan would probably stop him in the rematch. He was schooled by Mitchell and I think he's just looking for a pay day since Khan is one of the more marketable boxers in the game.

Think this fight would sell well in the UK though, and it would be a good fall-back option for Amir should he lose in the future. He doesn't have to take the fight now.

Irrational

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Mon 30 May 2011, 12:47 pm

Prescott hasn't put himself in a position to deserve a rematch. Khan has bigger fish to fry.

I can understand Prescott wanting the fight. Everybody loves a good payday

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 30 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Prescott is all hot air - he's been chatting like this for ages as he wants a payday, but his record since beating khan has been indifferent. If he'd been more consistent since then this fight would be more justifiable.

Having said that, I'd happily watch a rematch and I'm surprised khan has shown no desire to avenge such a spectacular loss and infamous blemish on his record. They searched everywhere for an opponent before settling on McCloskey, which was a virtually unmarketable fight and ppv flop. Prescott II wouldve sold much better in the UK based on what happened first time out, and if khan truly believes he's evolved enough to make it an easy nights work then I reckon he'd have been better off taking the fight then instead of PM and putting the matter to bed. That window has now passed, but again khan is struggling for an opponent, however having had one tune up fight he needs a more established opponent now and Bradley is likely to follow so I doubt Prescott will ever get his rematch.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon 30 May 2011, 1:08 pm

Don't believe Prescott in the slightest, but can't blame the man for trying to make a bit of money from it. As someone said though, I can't see this happening unless Khan loses his belt. Prescott brings nothing to the table and has in no way earned a title shot. Khan is primed for bigger things so there's not even the possibility of it being a tune up fight in my mind. Especially if talk is about him fighting the other champions at light-welter soon.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 1:23 pm

Prescott is just looking for a pay day. Khan has moved on to better things while Prescott has struggled.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 30 May 2011, 1:35 pm

As a fight, I think Khan could do much, much worse. But that said, I don't particularly think that he has any real need to rematch Prescott right now, and given Prescott's patchy (to say the least) form since that one-round blitz back in 2008, I think Khan would see it as a backwards step.

One thing's for sure, though; the fight would sell. Khan may have moved on to bigger and better things, but I'd be amazed if the Prescott defeat doesn't still eat away at him slightly now and then. I think the panic stations created by Maidana in that tenth round will guarantee that Khan is kept clear of any concussive punches for the time being, but if there's still no Bradley fight by early 2012 and Prescott is still waiting in the wings, then why not?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 1:42 pm

Chris surely fighting Bradley, Judah, Maidana reamtch even Alexander or Peterson are better fights and more worthy opponents. Add that to Guerrero and reportedly Rios seemingly being willing to step up and fight Khan and the possibility of Khan stepping up and taking on Ortiz should surely mean this will never happen.

Prescott doesn't deserve a shot and like you I feel that the defeat will eat away at Khan. He has moved on to bigger and better things if Prescott can work himself back into title contention then yes but if not then surely not.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 30 May 2011, 1:54 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Chris surely fighting Bradley, Judah, Maidana reamtch even Alexander or Peterson are better fights and more worthy opponents.

In purely boxing terms, yes. But given Khan's surge in popularity over the last eighteen months, I think we can safely say that he belongs to the casual boxing fan as much as he does the obsessive these days. Not the way it should be really, but it's a fact all the same. There's not a chance in hell he's going to fight half a dozen ranked contenders like the ones you've named above in succession; somewhere along the line he's going to want a high reward, low risk option. Prescott is known to the casual fan on the street who banged Khan out in style, whereas the others you've mentioned are unknown to them. Prescott represents a fair financial reward (along with something along the lines of seventy percent of the purse) as well as a chance to complete his redemption in the eyes of the boxing public.

As I said, there's no real need for this fight to happen now, but if Prescott wins a couple in the meantime and a fight with Bradley hasn't materialized by early next year, then I think Khan could do a lot worse for a number of reasons. And like we've both said now, I'd be amazed if Khan wasn't eager to avenge such a defeat.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 2:01 pm

I hope it doesn't happen but it would make financial sense and like you said he will want a 'gimme' fight at some point. Prescott is just looking for a pay day he lives off the Khan victory. He calls himself the Khanqueror!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon 30 May 2011, 2:03 pm

I hope it doesn't happen for the fact that I think it will be a farce similar to Harrison/Haye or Khan/McCloskey. Could Prescott really make it all that competitive?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 30 May 2011, 2:05 pm

As Kev says it would make financial sense, the worry i would have if i was a Khan fan, which im not is he only has one gameplan and style and that is to fight on the front foot, he can't go backwards, he just can't do it. Kevin Mitchell can fight 1 or 2 maybe even 3 ways, Khan can fight 1, Mitchell left the blueprint by using very very fast hands and in and out, then avoided shots brilliantly, that said i think Mitchell's definitely better had evading punches and can fight on the back or front foot. Khan won't fight Prescott again, but if he does he best learn how to not just stay there in range because he'll get knocked spark out again, this guy holds a HUGE, HUGE mental boost over Khan as well

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 2:05 pm

I'm not sure it would be that competitive that would depend on Khan. He would no doubt be cautious of Prescotts power but I think as long as Khan keeps his cool he would box Prescotts ears off and stop him late.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 30 May 2011, 2:06 pm

i think khan would have beat him 9 times out of 10. he had a unlucky night it was the 1 in 10 chance we saw. only time i see khan fighting prescott is if he suffered another defeat, and khan will hammer him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 30 May 2011, 2:07 pm

Its a good point from SBS that Prescott wasnt touted as a potential opponent when they were scrabbling for someone last time out. Would have done much better financially than McCloskey, and would be an easy nights work.

As unlikely as it would be, losing to Prescott a second time would be a disaster for his career though.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 30 May 2011, 2:10 pm

Prescott wasn't lucky in the first fight though that's my problem, he badly wobbled Khan with a beautiful jab then dropped him with some seriously powerful hooks twice, lucky is a 1 punch knockout when your getting outboxed, he was the man from start to finish, in Khan's case a 1st round blowout.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 30 May 2011, 3:01 pm

The Khan that Prescott fought wasnt world class. Nowhere near it. I dont believe Prescott just got lucky or Khan would have beaten him more often than not.

Khans defence was exposed regularly back then, he just hadnt faced any punchers.

The Khan now is world class and Prescott is not and never was. Right now I think the fight only appeals to sections in Britain. Khan was quite unknown in the U.S at the time so Prescott means nothing to them. A check of his history or rankings would not exactly do anything to change that over there either.

Maybe if Khan becomes a bigger star in the U.S with big fanbase he could cash in on this fight as it could be sold over there as a revenge fight but at present Khan is concerned manly with the U.S and Prescott doesnt tick any boxes there.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 3:06 pm

manos de piedra wrote:The Khan that Prescott fought wasnt world class. Nowhere near it. I dont believe Prescott just got lucky or Khan would have beaten him more often than not.

Khans defence was exposed regularly back then, he just hadnt faced any punchers.

The Khan now is world class and Prescott is not and never was. Right now I think the fight only appeals to sections in Britain. Khan was quite unknown in the U.S at the time so Prescott means nothing to them. A check of his history or rankings would not exactly do anything to change that over there either.

Maybe if Khan becomes a bigger star in the U.S with big fanbase he could cash in on this fight as it could be sold over there as a revenge fight but at present Khan is concerned manly with the U.S and Prescott doesnt tick any boxes there.

Prescott is sort of known in the U.S though because his last few fights have been on ESPN and they have constantly mentioned his KO of Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 30 May 2011, 3:20 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:The Khan that Prescott fought wasnt world class. Nowhere near it. I dont believe Prescott just got lucky or Khan would have beaten him more often than not.

Prescott is sort of known in the U.S though because his last few fights have been on ESPN and they have constantly mentioned his KO of Khan.

I thought he had only fought on ESPN once before when he lost just before Mitchell. Whenever he fights Im sure people will mention the Khan KO but just cant see what he has done over in the US to make them interested in a rematch. If he got more exposure, could attain a ranking and maybe win a ecent scalp there would be a possibility but everything suggests hes just been left behind. Havent followed him much since his lost to Mitchell to be honest, largely because there doesnt seem much to follow other than him coming out every so often trying to plug for a rematch.

The fact he is the one desperate for the rematch despite winning the first time kind of says it all about their respective positions.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 30 May 2011, 3:30 pm

i seen Prescott's last fight on the internet, highlights, he was very good, showed good speed and ability, and never got frustrated when the stoppage never come. Khan's fighting Judah now anyway in an absolute sham of a fight against a big mouth who gets battered everytime he fights someone decent.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 30 May 2011, 3:32 pm

You think Prescott's a better opponent than Judah, Steven ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 3:36 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

I thought he had only fought on ESPN once before when he lost just before Mitchell. Whenever he fights Im sure people will mention the Khan KO but just cant see what he has done over in the US to make them interested in a rematch. If he got more exposure, could attain a ranking and maybe win a ecent scalp there would be a possibility but everything suggests hes just been left behind. Havent followed him much since his lost to Mitchell to be honest, largely because there doesnt seem much to follow other than him coming out every so often trying to plug for a rematch.

The fact he is the one desperate for the rematch despite winning the first time kind of says it all about their respective positions.

His last 2 fights have been on ESPN. He headlined a FNF a month or so ago.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 30 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Why is Judah a sham of a fight? Prescott would be more of one, surely?!?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 3:39 pm

Steven_89 wrote:i seen Prescott's last fight on the internet, highlights, he was very good, showed good speed and ability, and never got frustrated when the stoppage never come. Khan's fighting Judah now anyway in an absolute sham of a fight against a big mouth who gets battered everytime he fights someone decent.

Witter and Corley were decent and he beat both of them. His last 2 wins have came against decent opponents in Matthysse and Mabuza.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 30 May 2011, 3:48 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

His last 2 fights have been on ESPN. He headlined a FNF a month or so ago.

Wasnt aware he had headlined on ESPN recently, but still has a long way ago in order to earn a viable rematch in my view. Cant see it being the case that a Prescott fight would go down well in the U.S even if Prescott has got increased coverage. He lost his way out of contention so he needs to win his way back in I think before fans over there will take him seriously as a contender.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 3:53 pm

I don't want the fight to happen but I think Prescott is going down the right roads to get one as long as he keeps winning. Where he is right now he won't get one he will need to get into World title contention first.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 30 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Witter and Corley were decent and he beat both of them. His last 2 wins have came against decent opponents in Matthysse and Mabuza.
The Witter from 2003-2008 would of destroyed him Kev, he has no heart mate, Cotto beat him up, the talk he gave it before that fight really wound me up, there's just no need for it. Baldomir battered him, Spinks who was awful imo beat him first time around, Clottey punished him. Tszyu made him do the moonwalk, the guy's a joke. Matthysse beat him as well i felt sorry for him he won that fight hands down. Khan in 10

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 5:12 pm

Steven mate I understand your scepticism. All expect the Tszyu defeat (which their was no disgrace in except the funny dance) happened at 147lbs. He isn't a WW he is a LWW and shouldn't have kept fighting at 147lbs.

The problem with Zab is application. He has the tools but at times has been guilty of not taking boxing seriously enough. He says he has re-dedicated himself I'm waiting to see if it's true but I tend to believe him he is paying Pernell Whittaker an absolute fortune to train him.

If Judah turns up on top form it will be a very hard night for Khan and I expect Judah to win. If Judah turns up on the sort of form he has been guilty of in the past Khan will beat him easy.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 30 May 2011, 6:40 pm

Steven mate I understand your scepticism. All expect the Tszyu defeat (which their was no disgrace in except the funny dance) happened at 147lbs. He isn't a WW he is a LWW and shouldn't have kept fighting at 147lbs.

The problem with Zab is application. He has the tools but at times has been guilty of not taking boxing seriously enough. He says he has re-dedicated himself I'm waiting to see if it's true but I tend to believe him he is paying Pernell Whittaker an absolute fortune to train him.

If Judah turns up on top form it will be a very hard night for Khan and I expect Judah to win. If Judah turns up on the sort of form he has been guilty of in the past Khan will beat him easy.
I just dont rate the guy Kev, he has absolutely no heart whatsoever, as soon as things get tough he doesn't want to know (Baldomir L PTS), (Clottey L TD, was getting picked off), Cotto L KO) to name a few. I hope Judah does win, i don't like Khan and the amateurs that surround him, i also think he's a greedy, greedy lad. Roach is a disgrace though in terms of picking opponents, im a big Manny fan but we've seen it with his opponents, Clottey, Mosley. He's doing the same with Khan, who has never been in with anybody world class anyway.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 6:45 pm

I'm not a Khan fan either but I do hope that the fight happens. I think this is the next best fight at 140lbs for Khan. I wouldn't fancy his chances at 147lbs against Ortiz he looked massive at the weigh against Berto.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 30 May 2011, 8:14 pm

Has anyone else been bored into oblivion by this mouthy chancer Prescott, who still - despite subjecting us to utter garbage in his outings since that night - continues to try and force a pay day from a man clearly lightyears ahead of him?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2011, 11:52 pm

Prescott is probably asked about Khan in every interview he does. I can't see any harm in what he's saying to be honest.

The fact remains that he handed Khan his backside that night in brutal fashion and if he fancies himself to repeat the feat then fair enough.

If it never happens then so be it. Prescott can go to his grave knowing he owned Amir Khan.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 31 May 2011, 12:24 am

He did demolish Khan, but conversely he was also unable (as of yet) to capitalise on that win, and has since been beaten twice, including obviously once by Mitchell who'd moved up from super featherweight.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue 31 May 2011, 12:27 pm

If Khan gets beaten again he will fight Prescott. However when he is looking for opponents it is a daft way to go, I'm not sure Prescott is even ranked high enough by any of the alphabets to get a shot at Khan's belt.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 31 May 2011, 12:31 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:If Khan gets beaten again he will fight Prescott. However when he is looking for opponents it is a daft way to go, I'm not sure Prescott is even ranked high enough by any of the alphabets to get a shot at Khan's belt.

Good to see you made it over, ian. Welcome aboard.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 31 May 2011, 12:34 pm

Whilst I don't think Khan is scared I have to be honest I would not object to seeing this fight. A blow out in les than a minute has to leave mental scars and it would be nice to see if Khan has exorcised these and the improvements obvious under Roach extend to his mental frame of mind.

Also worth remebering that the Mcloskey fight proved that Khan cannot really carry a major PPV card without a decent name across the corner and with the Bradley fight looking some way off Prescott may be an option because whatever we think of it as a match up it would be a relatively easy sell and could see Khan mend some bridges with Sky.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down