The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result

+10
catchweight
wheelchair1991
RanjitPatel
Hammersmith harrier
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Dipper Brown
hazharrison
Lowlandbrit
TRUSSMAN66
Fernando
14 posters

Go down

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result  Empty Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result

Post by Fernando Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr was stopped after nine rounds by Andrzej Fonfara on his return to the ring after more than a year out of the ring.

Chavez Jr had been out of action since March 2014 and looked out of sorts for long spells in his catchweight 172lb clash with the Pole, who ran out a convincing winner in Carson, California.

The Mexican had been a target for super-middleweight champion Carl Froch, who admitted he would love to end his career with a Las Vegas date against the former middleweight No 1, who lost his unbeaten record against Sergio Martinez in 2012.

Froch hinted last week that his decision over one final big fight was probably between taking on Chavez in Vegas and a possible home showdown with James DeGale.

Fonfara, who fights out of Chicago, landed big shots all night in the outdoor StubHub Center ring, and his left hand in the ninth knocked down Chavez (48-2) for the first time in his professional career.

Chavez made it back to his corner, but was seen to say "I'm done" to his trainer Joe Goosen and failed to come out for the start of the 10th round.

Fonfara had been on top almost from the opening bell, throwing more than double the shots Chavez managed, while also landing far more power punches.

Chavez Jr landed one or two decent body shots but rarely had Fonfara in any trouble, and the Pole revealed he was confident of victory from an early stage.

“When he hit me for the first time in the first round, I knew I was gonna win this fight,” said Fonfara, who suffered his first defeat since 2011 last summer against Adonis Stevenson.

“He didn’t punch as hard as everybody said he did. … I was a little surprised that he did not come out for the (10th round), but he was cut, been getting beat up and just got knocked down, so he knew what would happen if he came out.”

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result  Empty Re: Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

Most people would have watched it with glee......Not me.... Sorry to see a waste of potential.......Fonfara hasn't got any..

Fathers/Sons...........Yet to see a great father and son combination.........It's either one or the other..

Chavez may rue his lack of application in later years........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result  Empty Re: Julio Cesar Chavez vs Andrzej Fonfara Result

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:37 pm

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/julio-cesar-chavez-jr-gets-butt-kicked-quits-then-sa-1698758463

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Apr 2015, 12:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Most people would have watched it with glee......Not me.... Sorry to see a waste of potential.......Fonfara hasn't got any..

Fathers/Sons...........Yet to see a great father and son combination.........It's either one or the other..

Chavez may rue his lack of application in later years........

Strange opinion considering the kicking you gave a clearly shot-to-pieces Nigel Benn when he retired in his stool. This is a guy in his prime who folded the first time he met someone his own size. Surely you were disgusted in light of your previous views?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:08 pm

Might force Froch's hand into retirement. That's what I'd do in his position.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

I think Froch will hedge his bets. If DeGale looks sensational he could go for that as a retirement party.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:52 pm

Was hilarious to see, I'm sorry but he was moaning that Fonfara win because he was to obig for Chavez, chavez still probably weighed more than Fonfara on the night and hes had 10lbs advantages over everyone hes fought in the past, sometimes 20lbs weight advantages

Remember Zbik, outwieghed by 15/16lbs and should have got the decision, popped him with clean shots to the head all night but didnt have the size/power to smack around chavez.

Fonfara isnt that big a LHW but he is a LHW, and was weakened slightly by the 172 catchweight, but he smacked chavez around the ring. No head movement and reliant on a granite chin he got a tanking. Wasnt too dissimilar from vera fight but that was a LHW instead of a middleweight in there

Chavez is done, doubt he can come back from this, quit at the first time of being hurt from shots and getting pressured

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Apr 2015, 2:14 pm

In fairness I don't think you could describe Fonfara as anything but a big 175lber, he's not muscle bound like Stevenson but he has both height and reach.

I was glad to see Chavez lose and for once the judges were in his pocket, in hindsight I don't why everyone myself included (bar Raf) thought he'd win, I completely ignored him going up in weight. Fonfara in the rounds I saw (the fifth onwards) kept it very simple and smothered Chavez, he can look a bit ungainly fighting inside but it worked brilliantly, seems like a decent bloke as well.

The Jim Gray interview was priceless, he didn't quite know what to say when Chavez said he thought he won, had to point out he'd been outboxed in each and every round. The one time the going gets tough and he quits, you could see him looking around like a spoilt child waiting for the referee or someone else to save him and give him the victory.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 19 Apr 2015, 2:27 pm

The reason I went for Chavez was I thought it would be a robbery. Perhaps a few did.

Enjoyed the fight though. Chavez was never in the fight and was comprehensively outboxed. The comment he made after about winning the fight makes me think he may have been concussed. Seemed lucid enough on his stool though.

He'll probably regret quitting in the coming weeks once his father and his nation bend his ear. I don't mind Chavez and hope now that he's had a bit of an hiding, it'll give him the kick up the backside to train seriously. He's still young so he could come again but needs a lot of work.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Apr 2015, 2:45 pm

Chavez can go back to Texas where they'll waive weight limits, pee tests etc. In an era of same day weigh-ins he'd never have been known.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

It's his activity more than anything, he throws so few punches. He isnt a big one shot guy, his best performances are whe he has got to his opponents body and worn them dow but he just cant sustain attacks anymore and is a potshotter without being particularly good defenisvely

If someone can take his punch they can outwork and batter him

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:14 pm

Froch and big Eddie will still sell its as Chavez was rusty etc and its a great fight for the fans and the legacy of the warrior and the only man Joe Calzaghe was ever afraid to fight..

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

He makes too much money not to be back.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:53 pm

I don't think he is done. The kid has potential. He's got a signature left hook, a good engine (especially considering how he treats camps), the Chavez chin, and his punch stats are normally >40% so he's clearly a very accurate puncher. He isn't gonna beat any of the world champs at 175, but there's no reason he doesn't see off Arthur Abraham, for example and become a two division champion.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm

Gets a win at 168 then its an easy sell, can aay fonfara was just too big for him and hes more natural at 168

Froch can be hit and chavez has a half decent dig on him, and Froch isnt naturally as strong as Fonfara even if he is a better fighter than Fonfara so again its an easy sell if Chavez can get a W which he can given his strength and size at 168 plus his still granite chin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:37 pm

Hopefully that loss will kill the Froch fight dead. Golovkin would be a far better opponent.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm

I quite liked Chavez jr..........Wouldn't pay to lose all the characters from the sport...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:41 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I quite liked Chavez jr..........Wouldn't pay to lose all the characters from the sport...

But GGG is a fraud.... Rolling Eyes

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:18 pm

You think so ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:05 pm

Glad he lost he deserved it and it was coming sooner rather than later as he started to move up in weight

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:06 pm

Im suprised Truss you think Chavez is good for the sport but fair enough

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:19 pm

I think he's a colorful character.....I like playboys...

Vinnie Paz, Mike Rossman, Kirky Laing, Hector..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm

I can't stand Chavez myself

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2015, 10:32 am

Delighted for Froch, moaned that he couldn't get the big pay day against Calzaghe at the start of his career and now looks like he'll miss out at the end of it too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 10:37 am

DAVE667 wrote:Delighted for Froch, moaned that he couldn't get the big pay day against Calzaghe at the start of his career and now looks like he'll miss out at the end of it too.

Think he did pretty well with the rematch against Groves, was above anything JC earnt in a single fight..

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:04 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:.....I like playboys.....

There's a surprise....

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down