The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Qualifying

2 posters

Go down

US Open Qualifying Empty US Open Qualifying

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 30 May 2011, 6:14 pm

I toodled off down to Walton Heath today. Went to see the US Open Qualifying tournament. It was supposed to be over 36 holes, but there was a 3 hour delay because of fog/mist. I don't know if they are carrying it over to tomorrow. I saw a number of players play the 1st hole of the New Course, and then followed Colin Montgomerie around. He drove well, but his short game let him down. He missed the green at a number of par threes. The course was in good nick, and it is always a revelation to see the speed of "championship" greens. A touch of the putter and they went from one side of the green to the other. Number of other "names" there - Ross Fisher, Robert Rock, Thomas Levet. Left when Monty finished his first 18 - I think he was one over. His playing partner Soren Kjeldsen - I think was one or two under. They don't have scorers or scorecards in these competiotions.
But a good day out.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

US Open Qualifying Empty Re: US Open Qualifying

Post by puligny Mon 30 May 2011, 8:22 pm

Had to leave before the end but players were turning straight round after one round and back out for the next - no breaks. Some top quality golf but raining heavily when I left and didn't envy players starting late for round 2!!
Saw a few holes of Rhys Davies (no luck on the greens but superb driving and iron play) and Raphael Jaquelin (playing very good golf). Danny Willett looked in very good form and Levet and Lowery played some fantastic golf while I was watching. Biggest crowd with Monty.

All in all a great golf watching experience - thanks to USGA for insisting on informality (walking fairways and being close while players are hitting is excellent, though scoreboards would be good) and Walton Heath for staging the event so well

puligny

Back to top Go down