The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use

+31
kingraf
biugo
CaledonianCraig
break_in_the_fifth
Adam D
Haddie-nuff
ZZ
Josiah Maiestas
Mad for Chelsea
MMT1
Dolphin Ziggler
laverfan
Jeremy_Kyle
It Must Be Love
Calder106
Belovedluckyboy
Born Slippy
TRuffin
JuliusHMarx
Jahu
lags72
Silver
HM Murdock
Matchpoint
bogbrush
LuvSports!
Henman Bill
socal1976
summerblues
temporary21
hawkeye
35 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use - Page 12 Empty Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use

Post by hawkeye Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am doing a little research into the application of the time violation rule. Players are meant to take no more than 25 seconds between points. If they take longer they are meant to be given a warning on the first violation and on subsequent ones lose a first serve. It is proving difficult to find information on the number of penalties handed out and if the rule is being enforced correctly. If anyone is interested maybe they could help?

I would like to know of any instances when players have received a warning or loss of first serve and what the score was at the time.

How often players go over 25 seconds without being penalized.

The first question could be perhaps partly answered from memory and partly from noting new incidents

The second question could be answered by watching parts of any match and timing a few points. I've found this easy to do by using the timer that appears when you rewind or slow live TV as it shows the seconds but a watch or clock would work fine. According to the ATP rule book timing should start when the ball goes out of play and stop when the ball is struck for the next point. I have gathered some information but it's impossible to watch all matches so any information would be useful. 

Smile

NEW petition expressing concern about the inconsistent use of the time violation rule

Time limits for tennis players? Time for a response - a request to the ATP & ITF

We want to bring to your urgent attention the fact that growing numbers of tennis fans are raising serious concerns about the inconsistent application of the Time Violation Warning rule in ATP and ITF tournaments. This is beginning to spoil our enjoyment of this exceptional sport.

Umpires are currently issuing warnings randomly and arbitrarily, with some players who persistently go over the time limit not being penalised, and others regularly being given a warning.

In addition, it has been noted that the first warning of a match is suddenly given at a crucial point in a game - e.g. at break point - even when the time has been exceeded previously. We are concerned that this practice could significantly alter the outcome of a match.

We, the undersigned, urge you to find a way of regularising the application of the rule and respectfully request a formal response to the specific concerns highlighted in this petition.

Thank you.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/time-limits-for-tennis-players-time-for-a

Last edited by hawkeye on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add a link to a petition)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use - Page 12 Empty Re: Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 11:19 am

What he says and what he can actually do are two different things.
So speaking of bullies unlike Connors he didn't cost the man his job did he?

The Association of Tennis Professionals, which runs the tour, told The Telegraph "a number of factors are taken into consideration in the [umpire] selection process, including badge qualifications, nationality, as well as any previous history or incidents".

It is hardly news that umpires tend to be kept away from players with whom they have had a recent disagreement.

But keep on focussing on Nadal...it is after all more newsworthy than whether an Umpire(s) are being fair to all players which is after all the point of this thread  Laugh so amusing

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use - Page 12 Empty Re: Research into the use of the time violation rule - NEW petition expessing concern about it's inconsistant use

Post by Born Slippy Tue 26 May 2015, 11:39 am

In fairness, Connors got suspended following the Shales incident. So far as I am aware, there is no evidence Shales' contract was cancelled at the request of Connors and, in any event, it was renewed later that year.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 11:40 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:I think it's a massive thing for the sport if - and for Haddies sake I'll be specific - Rafa Nadal gets to have Umpires barred from his matches because he applied the rules. I can't thing of another example in sport where I've heard of it, and there's no other contemporary examples in tennis.

Please don't trouble yourself to be more specific.. you are as always  more than  transparent..I know precisely where you are coming from and I expect there are others who do too. Your response is of no surprise to me.
Lets get a few facts right.. "barred" I haven't heard that word mentioned by anyone but you. UMPIRES, we are talking of one umpire here. Nadal is doing nothing illegal, immoral or against the rules..(whether you can think of previous cases is not the issue) he is exercising his right, as any player is entitled to do, to request that an official not adjudicate at his matches if he is of the belief that the said official will not adjudicate fairly or without bias.
As... if you were on trial in a court of law and you believed there was  member of the jury that could prejudice your , you are entitled to have that said member removed.

Nadal, as has been established has been guilty of TV's without a doubt, but we are also attempting to establish that umpires are not being fair when some players are being penalised and not others.. however, you are seemingly blinkered to that problem. Have you bothered to time other players? No because in truth you don't give a damn, merely yet another opportunity for you to stick the knife in. EH Mac ??

Well I got specific because you made the point of citing my previous post to suggest it was "players". Perhaps you were being sarcastic, in which case that's not my fault.

He's had 100% of the Umpires to dock him a point in 2015 prevented from officiating. That's one umpire, but it's the only one who docked him a point. See why it's only one yet?

As for his "rights", you think it's ok that his "rights" extend to prohibiting a guy from officiating who FOLLOWED THE RULES - or, as they say in the World of officiating, "Did his job"?  

And no, I'm not focussing on anyone else because so far as I know nobody else is telling the sport who can officiate their matches. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 11:43 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:I can't thing of another example in sport where I've heard of it, and there's no other contemporary examples in tennis.

ATP umpires might recall the case of Jeremy Shales, the British official who had a huge falling-out with Jimmy Connors at the Lipton Championships in 1986, then found that his contract was not renewed the following year.
I see the response above, but apart from that I'll merely observe that you've had to go back to 1986, and one of the most notorious cheats / foul mouthed abusers. You obviously consider that good company for Rafa!! No sign of Federer / Djokovic / Murray, or Hewitt / Sampras / Agassi ..... even McEnroe?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 11:44 am

@hn, he publicly intimidated and threatened Carlos. Next we know this umpire has been "withdrawn" from Nadal's matches. So obviously yes, he actually manipulated his way around ATP and prevented Carlos from umpiring his matches - that's exactly what he said he would do. 

Dare I suggest that the title of this OP should have been "Research Into the History of Nadal's Time Violations." No one cares about umpires doing their job, we want to know more about why a multiple slam winner has so much trouble playing within the rule. That's why the hottest player is always the focus, no? thumbsup

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 26 May 2015, 11:45 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:What he says and what he can actually do are two different things.
So speaking of bullies unlike Connors he didn't cost the man his job did he?

The Association of Tennis Professionals, which runs the tour, told The Telegraph "a number of factors are taken into consideration in the [umpire] selection process, including badge qualifications, nationality, as well as any previous history or incidents".

It is hardly news that umpires tend to be kept away from players with whom they have had a recent disagreement.

But keep on focussing on Nadal...it is after all more newsworthy than whether an Umpire(s) are being fair to all players which is after all the point of this thread  Laugh so amusing

This incident is obviously Nadal specific as, it appears, he requested the ban. Whichever ATP official said it was not newsworthy is clearly living in cloud cuckoo land. Its the equivalent of a hypothetical scenario of Real Madrid being able to ban a referee from their matches for correctly awarding a red card against one of their players. If that were to happen it would be front page news.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 26 May 2015, 11:51 am

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:I think it's a massive thing for the sport if - and for Haddies sake I'll be specific - Rafa Nadal gets to have Umpires barred from his matches because he applied the rules. I can't thing of another example in sport where I've heard of it, and there's no other contemporary examples in tennis.

Please don't trouble yourself to be more specific.. you are as always  more than  transparent..I know precisely where you are coming from and I expect there are others who do too. Your response is of no surprise to me.
Lets get a few facts right.. "barred" I haven't heard that word mentioned by anyone but you. UMPIRES, we are talking of one umpire here. Nadal is doing nothing illegal, immoral or against the rules..(whether you can think of previous cases is not the issue) he is exercising his right, as any player is entitled to do, to request that an official not adjudicate at his matches if he is of the belief that the said official will not adjudicate fairly or without bias.
As... if you were on trial in a court of law and you believed there was  member of the jury that could prejudice your , you are entitled to have that said member removed.

Nadal, as has been established has been guilty of TV's without a doubt, but we are also attempting to establish that umpires are not being fair when some players are being penalised and not others.. however, you are seemingly blinkered to that problem. Have you bothered to time other players? No because in truth you don't give a damn, merely yet another opportunity for you to stick the knife in. EH Mac ??

Well I got specific because you made the point of citing my previous post to suggest it was "players". Perhaps you were being sarcastic, in which case that's not my fault.

He's had 100% of the Umpires to dock him a point in 2015 prevented from officiating. That's one umpire, but it's the only one who docked him a point. See why it's only one yet?

As for his "rights", you think it's ok that his "rights" extend to prohibiting a guy from officiating who FOLLOWED THE RULES - or, as they say in the World of officiating, "Did his job"?  

And no, I'm not focussing on anyone else because so far as I know nobody else is telling the sport who can officiate their matches. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.

Just to be clear, the penalty is the loss of a 1st serve not a point. It was decided to downgrade the penalty to encourage umpires to enforce it. I think, although HE will no doubt confirm, that Rafa has been docked a 1st serve once since.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 26 May 2015, 11:56 am

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:I can't thing of another example in sport where I've heard of it, and there's no other contemporary examples in tennis.

ATP umpires might recall the case of Jeremy Shales, the British official who had a huge falling-out with Jimmy Connors at the Lipton Championships in 1986, then found that his contract was not renewed the following year.
I see the response above, but apart from that I'll merely observe that you've had to go back to 1986, and one of the most notorious cheats / foul mouthed abusers. You obviously consider that good company for Rafa!! No sign of Federer / Djokovic / Murray, or Hewitt / Sampras / Agassi ..... even McEnroe?

In addition, the ATP at that time said that Shales had operated entirely appropriately and he umpired Connors the next week. A lot of the top players had run-ins with Shales though - there seems to have been a general feeling he was incompetent. McEnroe did in fact threaten him in very similar fashion to Rafa shortly before his contract was initially not renewed.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 12:05 pm

How do you know he told the sport anything.. you are assuming. I have quoted above the incident with Connors.. do you KNOW what Connors said to the sport resulting in that Umpire losing his job.. I have also quoted what has been said by the ATP see my post above.. but that doesn't convince you either does it.

Are you deliberately attempting to avoid the nitty gritty of my argument because it is Nadal.. you cannot disassociate my opinion because I am a Nadal fan is that the real problem here.???
NADAL IS WRONG..he is in breach of the tv rule. on more occasions than I would wish to admit. That is established yes ????
My grievance is with umpires in general.. the tv rule and indeed many other penalties and warnings are not  handed out when they should be. This I think you will find is one of Nadal's grievances, though he has admitted his fault on tvs
The implications of the "turning a blind eye" at the Kyrgos match is  alarming.
Ive been reluctant to say this, but if Umpires are not going to apply strict adherence to such events, that in effect could change the course of a match, and thus even a tournament the sport has a problem. and leads itself wide open. Imagine turning a blind eye to such a violation  in a tie break in the final of this GS..
The purpose of this thread was that research be given as to whether Umpires are handing out penalties fairly  Not whether Nadal is right to be penalised, ..it is becoming blatantly obvious that Umpires are not being fair. Therefore it is not the players at fault here but the Umpires

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 12:13 pm

bogbrush wrote:

It doesn't matter who or when ...you don't get out of it that easy.
YOU COULDNT THINK OF ANOTHER EXAMPLE.

But again.. your quest is not to know whether Umpires are being fair only that Nadal gets his dues.
Really... Rolling Eyes   you should ask yourself a serious question.. do you really care what happens to the sport.. I think your motives are somewhat more . Headscratch .

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 12:47 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:How do you know he told the sport anything.. you are assuming. I have quoted above the incident with Connors.. do you KNOW what Connors said to the sport resulting in that Umpire losing his job.. I have also quoted what has been said by the ATP see my post above.. but that doesn't convince you either does it.

Are you deliberately attempting to avoid the nitty gritty of my argument because it is Nadal.. you cannot disassociate my opinion because I am a Nadal fan is that the real problem here.???
NADAL IS WRONG..he is in breach of the tv rule. on more occasions than I would wish to admit. That is established yes ????
If the above is meant for me, then no, I didn't assume anything. See for yourself in the link below.
http://www.abc.es/deportes/tenis/20150223/abci-nadal-arbitro-bernardes-201502222225.html
"¡Voy a pedir que no me arbitres nunca más"

He was obviously going somewhere to tell on Carlos. So if not the sports (ATP), which relevant authority do you think he was GOING to tell his complaint to when he threatened that  "I am going to ask that you don't arbitrate me anymore?" Do enlighten us.

i only wanted to established the fact that Nadal was influential in removing an umpire from his matches with whom he has issues with. I'm not arguing with anything else.  No sure what you're on about with the rest. 

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 12:57 pm

Oh, sorry HN, just read your post again and realise the later part of it was in reply to my suggestion changing the OP title. Never mind.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 12:59 pm

Wasn't talking to you

Some years ago I was in a job working with someone who was affecting my wellbeing on a daily basis, to the point where I considered resigning, I went to my boss and explained the situation.. they removed that person to another department.

Things like this happen in life, not just in tennis. Does it occur to you that Carlos may well have been glad of that also.

I quote again

Now why do you not now discuss the purpose of this thread .

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 1:07 pm

Why so ambiguous? It's confusing. Could you specify who you're replying to? I'll erase my comments if they're not relevant.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:08 pm

To BB sorry

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:08 pm

But the last part was to you Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 1:14 pm

OK. Could you please address my post at 12:47. Do you now agree Nadal ousted (banned, in another word) Carlos from his matches?

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:19 pm

MP No I wont. why don't you follow what I have already said and Im sure you will find the answer

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 1:27 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Wasn't talking to you

Some years ago I was in a job working with someone who was affecting my wellbeing on a daily basis, to the point where I considered resigning, I went to my boss and explained the situation.. they removed that person to another department.

Things like this happen in life, not just in tennis. Does it occur to you that Carlos may well have been glad of that also.

I quote again

Now why do you not now discuss the purpose of this thread .

So Carlos is making Rafa ill and threatening his well being (well, maybe by forcing him to play by the rules that's a possible, but.....)?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 1:29 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

It doesn't matter who or when ...you don't get out of it that easy.
YOU COULDNT THINK OF ANOTHER EXAMPLE.

But again.. your quest is not to know whether Umpires are being fair only that Nadal gets his dues.
Really... Rolling Eyes   you should ask yourself a serious question.. do you really care what happens to the sport.. I think your motives are somewhat more . Headscratch .
This is surreal.

1. Because I can't think of anyone else doing what Nadal is doing, that makes me wrong??? Headscratch Headscratch

2. Because I object to a player interfering with the Umpire staffing I obviously am acting against the interest of the sport??? Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch

One of us is seeing the World back to front.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:32 pm

So Carlos is making Rafa ill and threatening his well being (well, maybe by forcing him to play by the rules that's a possible, but.....)?

You are a business man your livelihood requires you to have good relationships with your business associates.. If such an associate was affecting the way you conducted your business would you not wish to disassociate yourself with them. Ive have quoted twice above what the ATP attempt to do in such situations.. it may not even have been necessary for Rafa to speak to anyone.. it could well have been that that would have been their recommendation in any event.

Get back to the real question BB. your obsession with Rafa is getting unhealthy.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 1:36 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:So Carlos is making Rafa ill and threatening his well being (well, maybe by forcing him to play by the rules that's a possible, but.....)?

You are a business man your livelihood requires you to have good relationships with your business associates.. If such an associate was affecting the way you conducted your business would you not wish to disassociate yourself with them. Ive have quoted twice above what the ATP attempt to do in such situations.. it may not even have been necessary for Rafa to speak to anyone.. it could well have been that that would have been their recommendation in any event.

Get back to the real question BB. your obsession with Rafa is getting unhealthy.
Yeah, I'm a businessman. If I had two employees who couldn't get on because one of them was doing his job and the other one didn't like it I really, really doubt I'd be moving the one doing his job. Yeah, pretty sure about that.

As for Rafa speaking, he pretty much declared the course of action to the Umpire at the time. Message received by the others, I'm sure....

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 1:39 pm

HN, you won't address my post in question because you can't. How do you expect to advance your case when you evade evidence not helping your guy? So no wonder 12 pages on and you're going nowhere. Laugh Evade it all you want, but the key problem is nadal's inability to play within the rule, not so much the umpires,  I'm afraid.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:44 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:So Carlos is making Rafa ill and threatening his well being (well, maybe by forcing him to play by the rules that's a possible, but.....)?

Yeah, I'm a businessman. If I had two employees who couldn't get on because one of them was doing his job and the other one didn't like it I really, really doubt I'd be moving the one doing his job. Yeah, pretty sure about that.

As for Rafa speaking, he pretty much declared the course of action to the Umpire at the time. Message received by the others, I'm sure....

Well Im not surprised you cannot see what is of more value to you and your business the one that stayed was doing their job..... after all you spend most of your time on here obsessing over a player that you so abhor that he has taken over your life so how would you know.

Anyway temp..before you say anything.
Ive more important things to attend to Yahoo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 1:48 pm

Bizarre post.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:49 pm

Matchpoint wrote:HN, you won't address my post in question because you can't. How do you expect to advance your case when you evade evidence not helping your guy? So no wonder 12 pages on and you're going nowhere. Laugh Evade it all you want, but the key problem is nadal's inability to play within the rule, not so much the umpires,  I'm afraid.

I have answered the question numerous times before is it my problem that you cant read or understand.
You haven't read the last page leave alone all 12..so how the hell would you know Doh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 1:50 pm

bogbrush wrote:Bizarre post.

ditto

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 26 May 2015, 1:54 pm

You three. Start getting along. A dress each other's points and stop
Making personal attacks or we put an abrupt end to it

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 26 May 2015, 1:57 pm

Timed a bit of Rafa's match. Rafa didn't have any points under 20 seconds when I was watching. Every time his opponent won a point on his serve he took significantly longer. The longest two were 37 seconds and 43 seconds. His opponent went over 20 seconds once - when a ball fell back from the roof.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 26 May 2015, 2:06 pm

Were any tv's given?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 2:13 pm

temporary21 wrote:You three. Start getting along. A dress each other's points and stop
I am. Repeatedly.

I am trying to address the matter of a player corrupting the sport and am being criticised for it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 26 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Then both of you. Address the points. Stop being sarcastic. Stop ending your points with little digs at one s other. Stop being so combative every time you dont agree with each others points   It's embarassing to look at from the outside 2 people evading each other's points and taking little potshots at one another, I know your both mature adults, so simply discuss this with reason. Or not at all, or I will simply lock the thread until such time as its died down

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 2:27 pm

Matchpoint wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:How do you know he told the sport anything.. you are assuming. I have quoted above the incident with Connors.. do you KNOW what Connors said to the sport resulting in that Umpire losing his job.. I have also quoted what has been said by the ATP see my post above.. but that doesn't convince you either does it.

If the above is meant for me, then no, I didn't assume anything. See for yourself in the link below.
http://www.abc.es/deportes/tenis/20150223/abci-nadal-arbitro-bernardes-201502222225.html
"¡Voy a pedir que no me arbitres nunca más"

He was obviously going somewhere to tell on Carlos. So if not the sports (ATP), which relevant authority do you think he was GOING to tell his complaint to when he threatened that  "I am going to ask that you don't arbitrate me anymore?" Do enlighten us.

HN, seriously, I'm respectfully requesting you to point out in this thread which specific post(s) in which you had already addressed or refuted the fact Nadal caused Carlos to be banned from his matches? Thanks.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 2:28 pm

bogbrush wrote:Bizarre post.
Which one? Mine? If so, can you say how so? Thanks.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 26 May 2015, 2:28 pm

tempo, let us have some fun in a funny thread man, don't be so rough on us  Whistle
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 26 May 2015, 2:29 pm

You can behave too jahu I don't mind s little rough housing but not a full on hissy fight. This stops

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 26 May 2015, 2:31 pm

I am behaving, see I ain't flirting with anyone or kicking Djoko, all good here, no panic please Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 2:32 pm

temporary21 wrote:You three. Start getting along. A dress each other's points and stop
?? Did you include me too? If so, please show where did i post personal attacks?

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 26 May 2015, 2:32 pm

Right BACK to topic. To repeat jhm,s question. Did anyone get a tv at RG yet?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 2:42 pm

My one post on this topic then I am out of here as I know I will get shot down in flames.

Who gives a friggin' toss if a player takes 30 seconds to serve (or more). I'd hazard a guess that many of the classic matches of recent times have contained time violations here and there but the quality of tennis on show is all we care about.

Frankly, I'd prefer to leave it in the hands of the players involved in the match. If they are both happy with length of time between points then that should be all that matters. If it is bugging one of the players to distraction then let them go to the umpire and complain. I may be speaking for myself here but I don't sit there counting down the seconds between points - I sit there anticipating the drama from that point about to unfold.

That is my take on it and if Rafa wasn't the key in this subject I guarantee it would not be under discussion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May 2015, 3:18 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Were any tv's given?

None were given. Whistle

Though in fairness there weren't any 'big' points Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 26 May 2015, 3:31 pm

Now that this thread has calmed down a bit, I trust it will remain that that way.

From here forward I will archive off anything I consider to be personal attacks, then may have to make some sort of evaluation of them. I may not do it immediately due to my availability, but I will trawl back to this point if necessary.

Please remember that an argument may be termed foolish, a point may be described as silly, a player may be labelled as having a big nose, debates may even become slightly less than civil as long as they remain about a topic - but a poster may not be insulted.

Questions about this can be PM'ed to mods/admins

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 May 2015, 3:39 pm

Just catching up with latest 'developments' on this thread, after a spell of travel in isolated parts of South America where internet access can be extremely patchy.

Some interesting contributions here ; but many more that strike me as either distinctly off topic, and/or highly questionable in terms of definitive evidence.

Above all I'm struggling to see what (if any) new conclusions have been reached. And what exactly we know now that we didn't know around a month ago when the thread began .... Headscratch

My modest contribution was made on page one of what has somehow become a twelve-page thread  Shocked

Whilst not in the habit of re-quoting my own words, I will allow myself the luxury of doing so on this occasion .....

lags72 wrote:After several months of thorough research (entirely self-funded), I have arrived at the following revelatory ground-breaking conclusions :

1. Many players are guilty of time violations, although a much smaller number are not

2. Rafa Nadal is allegedly guilty of far more TV's than any other top player

3.  Umpires have shown themselves to be less than efficient at imposing the official ATP penalties

4. Er........ that's it.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 May 2015, 3:43 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:My one post on this topic then I am out of here as I know I will get shot down in flames.

Who gives a friggin' toss if a player takes 30 seconds to serve (or more). I'd hazard a guess that many of the classic matches of recent times have contained time violations here and there but the quality of tennis on show is all we care about.

Frankly, I'd prefer to leave it in the hands of the players involved in the match. If they are both happy with length of time between points then that should be all that matters. If it is bugging one of the players to distraction then let them go to the umpire and complain. I may be speaking for myself here but I don't sit there counting down the seconds between points - I sit there anticipating the drama from that point about to unfold.

That is my take on it and if Rafa wasn't the key in this subject I guarantee it would not be under discussion.
Not true.

There's been discussions about bad language on Court and that was for Andy.

That kind of comment simply endorses one side of the debate by demeaning the other side's intentions. It's not polite.

As for your point, then let them change the rules. Until then, let's play TO the rules. And applaud & support the umpires who take on the thankless task of enforcing them.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 26 May 2015, 4:02 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:My one post on this topic then I am out of here as I know I will get shot down in flames.

Not true.

There's been discussions about bad language on Court and that was for Andy.

That kind of comment simply endorses one side of the debate by demeaning the other side's intentions. It's not polite.

As for your point, then let them change the rules. Until then, let's play TO the rules. And applaud & support the umpires who take on the thankless task of enforcing them.

Any discussions though have not drawn out to the length of this one. Why?

Everyone should simply agree to disagree and move on to discuss something more interesting - like the French Open.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Tue 26 May 2015, 4:11 pm

About the enforcement of time violation rules, and to change ever so slightly the focus of the topic: If this rule was to be enforced truly, how would you see it?
It's been discussed a bit, with arguments for:
- no rule (with room for abuse)
- a HawkEye type of system (with a number of TV allowed per set or match before penalties start to drop)
- shot clock and CLARIFYing when exactly the timer would start (after the score or after the line call) and what are the opportunities for the umpire to temporarily pause the clock.

I'd like to add a couple more in the mix for talk:
- set instead an interval (with minimum 10 seconds and max 25, or 30 - maybe a green light on court and orange in the last 5 seconds)
- and for a less frantic or techno-heavy solution, and that would be my real proposition, have the receiving player involved: what if the receiver could instead remind time - after 25 sec have passed - if he's ready and the opponent is still doing whatever.

When I read the comment about X player in average 10-15sec playing against Y who is 30-35 sec, going over 40s sometimes, I imagine myself in that position and might want to have the server play more swiftly, within the set limits... Hence the second addition.
Of course the issue is that it would probably lead to some tactics, and I don't know how it could be avoided.

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 26 May 2015, 5:14 pm

Q. Can you tell me what happened with Bernardes? Is it true the situation he cannot umpire your matches, or do you know anything about it? Because I read it, but I have no exactly the clue what happened.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is easy, no? There is a lot of umpires on the tour. I respect a lot Bernardes. I consider him a great umpire and a good person, but I think when you have some troubles with the same umpire, sometimes it's easy to stay for a while away, no? I think that's the real thing. I think is better for both of us if we are not in court at the same time for a while after what happened in Rio de Janeiro. That's it. No problem with him personally.

Q. But not your request?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, it was my request, and the ATP talking about -- well, I asked if it's possible, but nothing personal against him 100%. I respect him like umpire, I respect him like person, and I consider him a good person more than that. So for me is not -- I am not happy with that situation. That's the first thing. Because I would love to have Bernardes on the court again. Will happen, but, you know, I think for both of us it is better to have a break, you know. We had some problems. For me he hasn't -- he was not enough respectful with me in Rio de Janeiro . That was my feeling when I put my shorts the other way. He wants to put me warnings four times, that's fine. But if I put my shorts other way and I ask him if I can change my shorts, I can put my shorts the right way, and his answer is, Yes, but you will receive a time warning. For me, that's not fair, you know, (smiling.) When something like that, something like this did happen on court, that I think is not fair. I think is, you know, shows not respect, because I cannot play a full game with the shorts the other way. So it's better. It's better to be away for a while. That's all. No personal problem with him, no? Seriously, I'm not saying that because I am in front of you. I respect him, I like him, but he was not right. And I believe that is for relationship and everything is better to be away for a bit.

Q.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 26 May 2015, 5:26 pm

Rafa requested, the ATP agreed. The sequence of events is simple and clear.

Now, if there was a vendetta against Rafa, if they were out to get him and him alone, as has been suggested, surely they would not have agreed. To me this is very clear evidence that the ATP do not have a vendetta against Rafa. Not that I ever thought they did. They have no reason to nor is there any reasonable evidence that they do.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 26 May 2015, 5:28 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
Matchpoint wrote:HN, you won't address my post in question because you can't. How do you expect to advance your case when you evade evidence not helping your guy? So no wonder 12 pages on and you're going nowhere. Laugh Evade it all you want, but the key problem is nadal's inability to play within the rule, not so much the umpires,  I'm afraid.

I have answered the question numerous times before is it my problem that you cant read or understand.
You haven't read the last page leave alone all 12..so how the hell would you know Doh

Did you see my request posted at 14:27? 

I wish to see your specific reply to my specific comments.

I don't mind you not wanting to address something you don't want to. It's your right. One would have thought that if your argument is that strong you'd want to repeat it to strengthen your position. But you're shying from it instead. 

So again, pls see my post at 14:27, I can't find them, I respectfully ask again where are those answers you said you posted numerous times?

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 26 May 2015, 5:30 pm

Now tempo21 with come and slap us all for being out of order with each other Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next