The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title

4 posters

Go down

Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title Empty Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title

Post by hampo17 Fri 1 May - 11:35

By Stuart Brown

Following what many are calling ‘The Fight of the Century’ which sees Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao in their Las Vegas mega-fight comes Andre Dirrell vs James DeGale, a fight perhaps more for the boxing purist. The contest is for the IBF super-middle weight belt most recently held by Carl Froch.

Both fighters hail from a strong amateur pedigree in the middleweight division, Dirrell managing a bronze medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics and and DeGale topping the sport by achieving Olympic gold at the 2008 Beijing games. Amazingly, DeGale is vying to be the first ever British Olympic gold medallist to become World Champion.

Both fighters are tricky, evasive southpaws who both like to counter the come-forward fighter, it will be interesting to see who takes control in this one, who will take the centre of the ring and who will push their dominance from the first bell – at least let’s hope one of them will, or we could be in for a long night.

I saw Dirrell first hand against the warrior Carl ‘Cobra’ Froch back in 2009, in one of the most volatile atmospheres I’ve witnessed in Nottingham. Although Dirrell’s speed undoubtedly caused the Cobra issues, he was simply far too negative to get the decision against the hometown champion, refusing to go on the offensive and potentially expose himself to one of Carl’s vicious right-hands. He went on to fight Arthur Abraham in a highly controversial bout. Although seemingly well-ahead on the score cards Dirrell did appear, in my opinion, to overreact to the shot he took on the floor. The referee was justified in disqualifying Abraham, but was the damage really that severe?

Following that night in Detroit Dirrell has only fought on five occasions, over five years, against what many consider to be weaker opposition. Has he really earned a world title shot? Is he as fast as he once was? Is he now prepared to take the fight to a dangerous puncher and put everything on the line to challenge for the world crown?

DeGale has had a steady rise to the top. He had the early, controversial set back against Groves, but since then has a 100% record, albeit against a varying class of opponent. He went away after the Groves defeat, worked hard and kept busy, perhaps allowing him time to iron out the creases every fighter has before reaching the world stage. In hindsight something that Groves himself didn’t have the opportunity to do, which may have led to him fighting at the world stage before his time. DeGale has really shone since signing with Matchroom, getting on the big shows and really showing his class. ‘Chunky’s’ KO ability seems to have moved up a notch recently – stopping Antonio Periban within three (previously unstopped) and the undefeated Brandon Gonzales on the Froch vs Groves 2 card. Gonzales hasn’t fought since. He has worked his way to being a legitimate world challenger and looks to possess the skills and power to go all the way.

DeGale and Dirrell both have speed and both possess boxing talent, but DeGale looks to have the edge in power and in mentality. Even the added motivation to Andre of brother Anthony losing his WBC strap against the unfancied Badou Jack may not be enough. It’s not that I don’t rate Dirrell, I just feel DeGale is a more complete fighter, a hungrier fighter. DeGale must take this opportunity and not give the US judges anything to think about.

Let’s hope for boxing masterclass on May 23 and for the better fighter to take the World title.

http://www.v2boxing.co.uk/#!Dirrell-To-Face-Degale-For-Vacant-Title/c1xmj/554353960cf273133509e5c0

Stuart is one of V2 Boxings newest writers, and it is fantastic to have him onboard.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title Empty Re: Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title

Post by Guest Fri 1 May - 11:52

Let’s hope for boxing masterclass on May 23 and for the better fighter to take the World title.
Highly unlikely, if you think Mayweather stinks the place out on occasion, this fight will make him look like Gatti

Back to top Go down

Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title Empty Re: Degale To Face Dirrell For Vacant Title

Post by tunes666 Sat 2 May - 14:37

I think its a hard fight to Degale and I just have a feeling it will be close and he will not get the decision.. then again Dirrell has not fought at world level for quite a while so who knows, maybe Degale will do a number on him...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 2 May - 14:51

Well look on the bright side if you're a DeGale fan- Dirrell's opposition since Artur has been woeful.

Saying that if the fight's close, difficult to see the away fighter getting the decision over a Haymon fighter that he obviously has plans for.

Very interested to see how this one plays out personally.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 2 May - 16:20

I actually think Chunky is going to do well here - he has the talent, and has worked to get himself into the position. I can't see him wanting to try and potshot his way to a title. He knows that if it's in the US, he will probably have to stop Dirrell. I am not sure that Andre's heart has been in it since the Super Six - he appears mentally fragile and I actually think Chunky will either KO Dirrell or force a stoppage somewhere about round 9.

I wasn't much of a Chunky fan in the early days - he appeared to think everything would be handed to him on a plate and it would all be easy - but since the Groves loss he has knuckled down and got to work. Granted his opposition hasn't been great but it's been better than Dirrell's, and a potential rematch with Groves, possibly with 2 belts on the line is mouthwatering for any English fan. He has a pretty decent chance here.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 2 May - 17:37

Carl Froch has said this week he'd like to face the winner for the title. Really starting to wish he'd just go away now, did anyone see him ask Mayweather a question? If not here it is, skip to 2.10.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 2 May - 17:56

hampo171 wrote:Carl Froch has said this week he'd like to face the winner for the title. Really starting to wish he'd just go away now, did anyone see him ask Mayweather a question? If not here it is, skip to 2.10.

Why go away? He's been a helluva champion for the UK.

Maybe he felt a bit nervous meeting Floyd on camera you never know?

Bit petty to be highlighting this imo.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 2 May - 18:08

Why do I want him to go away? Because he wouldn't defend his belt against Degale, yet he wants first crack at him. He constantly talks crap, if he's not going to fight Ward or move up then there's nothing left for him.

That also had very little to do with nerves in my opinion, I honestly think it had more to do with him wanting to try and prove he is the "international superstar" as he calls himself, while Floyd was probably wondering who George Groves is.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 2 May - 19:07

Calzaghe wouldn't defend his belt against Froch(although it didn't matter, Joe became a first ballot hof'er.)

But you didn't castigate Calzaghe for that, in fact seem to remember you were one of those calling Froch a nobody at the time and not in Joe's league.

Double standards.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 2 May - 19:10

I never slated Froch for chasing the fight, I slated Froch for continuing to chase it long in to Calzaghes retirement. Worth remembering that Calzaghe had retired by the time Froch became a world champion. 

Sure you haven't got me confused with someone else?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 2 May - 19:33

I don't want to get into the Calzaghe Froch debate ever again, Calzaghe's a first ballot and yes Froch was guilty of hypocrisy. Maybe one day he might apologise to Calzaghe who knows, but people of course say things they later regret when emotions are running high. And I don't think Calzaghe was entirely blameless either. Maybe they both owe each other an apology?

Still reckon Froch gets in first ballot though regardless of fighting DeGale or not but bet my bottom dollar he fights DeGale if the latter wins next up thumbsup

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down