The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ravenhill Review- Year 4

+7
red_stag
Gibson
Glas a du
WillyGilly
Mickado
GunsGerms
Notch
11 posters

Go down

The Ravenhill Review- Year 4 Empty The Ravenhill Review- Year 4

Post by Notch Tue May 31, 2011 11:45 pm

In one of the old 606 traditions, every year I would do an end of season 'awards' thread for Ulster. I aim to continue that tradition on here and hopefully highlight some of the major contributors to a much improved season. It's been a roller coaster ride with major progress on and off the pitch. A first visit to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals was an undoubted highlight, as was making the Top Four in the Magners League- and yet, there's a feeling of great frustration that we didn't advance further in those competitions or even secure a trophy. It's clear we've taken the first steps and we can all be delighted with the start we've made but no-one will be satisfied until we are winning in those big games. If our goal is to eventually surpass our fellow Irish provinces then we've made a start- but there's still a lot to do! One thing seems for certain, it's going to be an exciting ride.

BEST VISITING PLAYER
As ever, we are fortunate to be able to watch many great players visit Ravenhill and we've enjoyed seeing some high quality performances this season. But without a doubt the two best sides that visited Ravenhill were Munster and Leinster, and indeed they were the only two who managed to escape Belfast with a win. I wanted to give this award to Munster's Ian Nagle who had an outstanding performance in the lineout against Johann Muller but it has to go to Leinsters SEAN O'BRIEN who outclassed our backrow with a devastating display of pace and power.

BEST VISITING FANS
It's hard to remember many fans making the trip this year, and i missed the Leinster match which traditionally boasts the best support. But the game I most enjoyed the company of opposition fans in was the visit of MUNSTERS SUPPORTERS this year. All class.

ULSTER TEAM PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON
It's slightly ironic that our best performance came during the Six Nations when we were missing our top-rank internationals. But the likes of Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall and Paddy McAllister made light of the absentees when disposing of the Cardiff Blues 32-13. Not only was it our most complete display of attacking rugby of the season against a good side, it was also the moment when the bright future of Ulster Rugby really came into focus.

ULSTER INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON
There can be no contest, right? STEPHEN FERRIS at his one-man wrecking ball best against Bath Rugby at Ravenhill. Simply unplayable, you could travel the world and not see a backrow performance like it. One of only a handful of games he managed to play for Ulster this season, and certainly his best performance; we'll hope and pray that he makes it back onto a rugby pitch again so we can see more of this.

ULSTER TRY OF THE SEASON
Most debutants, especially 19 year olds, take a wee bit of time to adjust to the pace of the professional game. CRAIG GILROY is made of different stuff as he showed against the Cardiff Blues at the CCS; He went on to score four tries in his first two games in professional rugby and eight for the season, more than any other Ulster player.

ULSTER YOUNG PLAYER OF THE SEASON
Again, there is so much choice and competition for this accolade. Paddy McAllister has had a particularly impressive breakthrough season in the front row, getting the better of many seasoned tightheads and making a massive impact in the loose. Luke Marshall has looked an incredibly accomplished playmaker already and Craig Gilroy has topped the Provinces scoring charts; however, NEVIN SPENCE has been a consistent member of the first team, making the 13 shirt his own and contributing big plays in games like Bath away and Dragons away. A tremendous breakthrough season.

ULSTER PLAYER OF THE SEASON
Ian Humphreys has been masterful with the boot and the ball in hand. Johann Muller and Pedrie Wannenburg have added steel and experience to our forward pack, but the real star of the show for Ulster has been RUAN PIENAAR. His last minute exploits against the Scarlets, Dragons and Glasgow have entered Ravenhill legend and his crisp service, game management and all round awareness have gotten the best out of his outhalf partner Humphreys and a young backline. We;ll enjoy watching him for one more season because his destiny is so obviously to return to South Africa and establish himself as the Springbok 9.

ULSTER SIGNING OF THE SEASON
Ruan Pienaar has made the biggest net contribution on the field, but when it comes to the contribution both on and off the field in terms of leadership, character, breeding a winning mentality, inspiring the men around him and leading by example JOHANN MULLER towers (literally) above everyone else. He's been the best signing of the season for Ulster and probably the best signing of any season. Such has been his impact, he's likely to take on some additional responsibilities at Ulster next season and has just recently signed a contract extension. An inspiration.

Last edited by Notch on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

The Ravenhill Review- Year 4 Empty Re: The Ravenhill Review- Year 4

Post by GunsGerms Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Go Sean OBrien! I really enjoy watching Ian Humphries play. Maybe if he tightened up his defense a bit he might get some Ireland game time?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:22 am

Ferris was an animal against Bath alright. We’ll be saying our novena’s that he makes the world cup and comes out the other side!

I’d say you enjoyed writing this one a lot more than last years review Notch, next year will be even better with the quality of the signings. Exciting times!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 am

I enjoy writing it every season, just as I enjoy going to Ravenhill every season. I just prefer to be applauding great performances from the men in white, not visiting players!

Munster and Leinster certainly put one over on us at Ravenhill and that hurt a lot, but it was a hugely encouraging season all the same Very Happy
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:28 am

it's the one we've all been waiting for! Such a shame that very few Ulster posters seemed to have crossed the sea to v2.

On individual performance of the season, I thought Luke Marshall against Cardiff at home, Paul Marshall away at Cardiff and Nevin Spence away at Gwent might have run 1F close.

Most improved player? Ian Humphrey has improved his all round game no end. His kicking, which was sooo dodgy last season, has been nothing short of exceptional this season. This coupled with his excellent attacking game and close partnership with Paddy Wallace will surely see him in good sted should the need arise for him to board a plane to NZ in September (though from an Ulster perspective let's hope not!). Notch you quite rightly refer to Pienaar's antics with the last minute boot. Let us not forget this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOpvtbBpEU

Easily one of the biggest cheers I have heard at Ravenhill...

Unsung Hero of the season? David Humphreys. No arguments.

Last edited by WillyGilly on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:33 am

Great point about Humphreys (Snr.) Willy. The man has a silver tongue to go with his golden boot- the signings he's made and continues to make are incredible. The off-field side of things is so much better run in general.

Glad to see Ulster Rugby has fully embraced facebook and twitter as well, the promotion of the team is certainly on the up. And Shane Logan deserves kudos for landing us one of the biggest ever shirt sponsorship deals in Irish Rugby. The amount of money we have coming in blows our revenue from even a few years ago out of the water.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 am

"the real star of the show for Ulster has been RUAN PIENAAR."

See, I said you were a one man team!

Its a joke, I'm only joking, I know you lot are passionate, but I'm only pulling your plonceurs.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 am

'plonceurs'

Glas I'm unfamiliar with this phrase. If I attempt to google it's meaning will it get blocked by my university's firewall, and will I be banned from the library amid disgusted looks from people sitting nearby?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:42 am

If we're a one man team, it's Johann Muller. Pienaar may be our best player but he's not our most important player.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 am

Its Gibbo or creative spelling for the phrase Del Boy made famous.

Notch give over, I said I was only joking! For what it's worth I think Wannenburg got you out of the HC pool.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am

I'm just making a point; not many people realise just how important the big man is and this article is to give credit to those who deserve it!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 am

What was his name again?

(I jest)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:06 am

It has been a good season for Ulster - on many fronts.

* To challenging in the ML (Playfoffs) and The HC (QF's), from staving off Connacht the year before, for even a HC place. That is a huge leap in a season

* The emergence of Gilroy, Marshall, Spence and McCallister as Ulster-bred stalwarts, who will be pushing for Irish places in the near future.

* Brian Mclaughlin, finally putting to bed the assertion (moi included), that perhaps he was not up to the task of taking Ulster to the next level. He has a great CEO and an even better Chairman - in Humphreys, behind him. I believe his tactics, last year, took Ulster to their best season in years.

* The financial committment and nous, in bringing top-quality NIQ's to the province. This shows they mean business to the World - and to their players, who will now edge on the side of staying, rather than leaving for "the rich fields of France" and elsewhere. Would Bowe have left in the present situation, for a floundering Ospreys? I very much doubt it. He should come "home" and join the party, imo. The same "top" O's players are leaving for France in droves now. Beware.

* These top NIQ players, Pienaar, Wanneberg and Muller - should leave a lasting legacy behind them. Ulster must strive to replace them with their "own" over the next 2 or 3 seasons, thus becoming more self-sufficient and profitable.

* The loyal fan-base. The life-blood of any club. They are being kept in the picture as to Ulsters ambitious intentions for the future. Very important. It will buy patience and even more loyal support.

* Rock-solid plans for the development of Ravenhill, as a top-class stadium, are in now firmly in place. Their fans deserve this and more will come, as facilities improve. The knock-on financial effects of that, will enable them to invest even more time and money in their burgeoning academy. These are the building-blocks of any great club.

* They are marketing brand Ulster, so much better than before.

* A new initiative, to actively scour the province, for raw-talent, should pay long-term dividends. If they even get one or two top-class indigenous players out of it - it will be so worth it. And once that structure is firmly in place, they should continue to do so.

* The amount of their under 20's and "A" players, in the Irish setup, speaks volumes.

Its looking good. Next season is a huge one for them, with regard to momentum. Winning or at least making the ML Final, must be their realistic aim. This squad has it in them to do so, imo. The HC is getting tougher, year-on-year, to even get out of the pool stages - for everyone in it. But, they must seriously aim and expect, to make the knockout stages every year, from here on in.

All this, is a major boost to Irish rugby, as a whole. That pleases me no end.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 am

Great post Gibbo.

Obviously when it comes to the Heineken Cup, the pool you're dealt makes a hue difference. There's a world of difference between drawing Cardiff Blue or Toulouse in Tier 1- or Racing Metro or Aironi in Tier 4. We're still in Tier 3, which should in theory give us a tough enough draw. I'm going to wait and see who we get before making any predictions.

I don't feel that only matching this year will hurt us; it would be a season of consolidation. But we can go further if a few things go our way.

I retrieved these links off the sinking wreck of the old 606;

http://epicdocs.planningni.gov.uk/ViewDocument.aspx?uri=116763&ext=PDF

http://epicdocs.planningni.gov.uk/ViewDocument.aspx?uri=116764&ext=PDF

The artistic visions of the new Ravenhill stadium. What a ground that would be.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 am

A measure (albeit a small one) of how far Ulster have come this season. Biggest away win in the league anyone?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/23253.php
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 am

One of the games that I cite as a massive season turning game was Munsters win over Ulster in Ravenhill. Scott Deasy, Simon Zebo, Ian Nagle, Tommy O'Donnell, Peter O'Mahony, Mike Sherry etc went up and won in Ravenhill. For me that was a huge result. Ravenhill is a genuinely tough place to go.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:47 am

And the credit must go to Anthony Foley. That game, Ulster had a huge amount of possession but the defence was so well organised we only had one genuine try scoring opportunity (cross field kick to McCrea in the first half, went into touch before he could gather). I don't doubt had we broken through for a try we'd have won but Munster were masterful and held us to only six points.

So a) I'll be watching the career of Munster's outgoing defence coach and incoming forwards coach Axel Foley with great interest and
b) I'll be hoping we can muster up a bit more guile than Whitten and Spence in the centre.

It was a bit of a turning point for Ulster too. To lose at home like that hurt a lot, but the players came back stronger and more together. And then when other teams came to Ravenhill and put it up to us like Munster did that night, we broke them down and got the Win.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 am

Notch I am actually really excited to see next seasons Munster pack and how Foley gets them moving.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 am

Yeah, he's going to have a big impact. I know a lot of people weren't too happy with Laurie Fisher.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 am

Notch, he was a disaster. I felt Munsters forwards crumbled under him.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:04 am

Ulster have clearly improved no end and look set to continue to do so. The further signings, the ridiculous amount of young players coming through (even the younger players in the U20 squad) and the redevelopment of Ravenhill should guarantee that.

To me the biggest signal of Ulster's improvement wasn't qualifying for the 1/4's of the HC but getting to the Magner's playoff's. In years gone by those last minute wins would not have been achieved. Ulster would have thrown it away (I know the playoff's haven't been around long so I'm speculating to an extent). Those last minute wins signalled real leadership and belief in their team and without that, Ulster could not have got to the playoff's. The key is to build on this though. Getting to the magner's playoff's should be the absolute minimum requirement. Getting out of the Heineken cup group should also obviously be the target but it's hard to know whether it's a realistic one as of yet. As third seeds, Ulster are liable to some truely nasty groups. Off the top of my head imagine Northampton, Leicester, Racing (I'm right in that two english teams have to be drawn together, yes?).

Anyway, I'm on a slight rant here but it's great to see Ulster finally start to produce glimpses of their full potential and let's hope they continue to push on now they have the players and infrastructure to do so.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:09 am

Yes, I think so mrsuper.

Could get a horrible group, could get a group we could win. Just going to have to wait and see!

You're absolutely right about our new mentality- I give a lot of credit to the likes of Muller and Wannenburg for helping to foster that (these guys haven;t made their careers out of accepting second best) but a lot of it comes from within the squad.

Nevin Spence said in an interview he noticed after the Bath match at the Rec (which we shaded 26-22) more of a winning mentality became part of our make-up. More confidence and self-belief.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 am

I have seen those plans on 606,Notch. And my initial reaction was WOW!

My second reaction was.. Bhugger,Im jealous! We really need to re-develop the RDS. It's "quaint and unique", but not befitting a club at the top of the European pile.

Word on the street is that Mick Dawson is in talks with the RDS owners, to co-invest in demolishing and completely re-building - the Angelsea Stand.

We could use Lansdowne, for bigger games (as we do already) - while this is happening. I pray it does happen, as Donnybrook is officially off the menu for redevelopment. Huge task. But they must have the shekels to initiate it by now. Keeping 14,000 season-ticket holders happy at the RDS, while this is going on would be "tricky", to say the least. Using Lansdowne would allow the fan-base to grow in the meantime. The fans are there already, they just need to be facilitated.

A 30,000 capacity stadium would be optimum. 3,500 more than TP. Wink

Anyway, I thought it was relevant to compare plans. Enough of Leinster. Back to talking Ulster.

* Also key was holding on to key-players like Best, Trimble and Ferris. We may slag-off the IRFU at times, but their model is the envy of the NH. It is paying big dividends for 3 provinces now. It would be nice to help spread some of that experience, nous and success gained - West.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 am

I agree with Gibbo. I think IRFU do a very good job. 10 years ago they only looked after Munster and Leinster. Now they are giving Ulster the chance. I have no doubt in a few years Connacht fans will finally get their reward from IRFU. They don't bite off more than they can chew.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:16 am

I'm hopeful that some of the talented players we have who aren't getting the first team opportunities will go west. I think the signings of three Ulster Academy graduates this season bodes well for Connacht. In the past guys who didn't make the cut would go to the second tier of English rugby and be lost to Irish Rugby. Some of them fell into obscurity but some of them are now playing in the Premiership.

Guys slip through the net; either they have the wrong attitude at the time, or there is a surplus of talent in their position, or they are simply late developers. I'd much rather they stayed in the provincial system if they had to be let go and that's whats happening now.

I think Mark McCrea could be a real find for Connacht next year. We don't need another centre- we tried to jam him into a back three slot. Connacht would be advised to forget that and give him a role in the midfield. He could surprise a few people if he gets to play there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 am

Yeah that's it Notch. Just googled when the Heineken cup draw is there. It's this day week so something rugby related to look forward too Smile Hopefully no groups of death for Irish sides this year **crosses fingers**

Yeah this new mentality in Ulster will hopefully grow and be sustained now for all your exciting youngsters. You look at Leinster now with young players like Fitzgerald and Healy with two Heineken cup medals in their back pocket and who have known nothing but the good days and that's definitely thanks to the mentality and confidence previous players (both foreign and home grown) brought in. It would be nice if the same thing could happen to Ulster now. It all seems very encouraging with the likes of Muller signing an extension and getting involved in coaching. I know he's being paid a lot of money but, at the same time, he must really enjoy life up in Belfast. It's looking very rosy with these players and Humphreys looking after things outside of the pitch so a good HC draw now and ye are flying Wink

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:35 am

Yeah, I would LOVE to see three Irish sides in the HC quarter-finals next year. That would give such a strong basis for our national side to build on, and at the end of the day, that's what this is all about. I think the Saffer lads do enjoy the rugby up here.

Gibbo, Stag- what I will say is that Connacht have very different needs to the other three provinces. Ulster have a very strong support base, and a strong schools/club system that leads to us having a strong Academy system. Efforts need to be made in Ulster to take rugby into all sectors of the community in all nine counties of Ulster, but the basis is there for us. Investment is required at the top level.

Before we can invest in the top level at Connacht, we need to invest in their grassroots. Firstly you need to get more people interested in supporting Connacht Rugby and now they have a golden opportunity to do just that. The Heineken Cup campaign must be used to raise interest and awareness of rugby in Connacht. More importantly, they need to raise playing numbers in Connacht. They need to bring the game into non-traditional rugby schools and grow the club game. They require numbers through the gates and buying merchandise, they also require a wider playing base to build an Academy structure upon. Once those two things are in place, Connacht will start to grow.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:12 am

Can the Irish sides by drawn against each other in the cup?

Not sure we should really fear the Welsh, Scottish or Italians *glances around suddenly and knocks on his wooden desk*. The French I have a decidedly nasty feeling about, particularly Toulon, likewise quite a few of the English sides. If we go into the later stages of the Amlin and maybe even reach the final, what would the reaction be? Disappointment at being knocked out of the HC, or elation at succeeding at a different level of europe?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 am

Willy-

Irish sides can't be drawn together and Toulon aren't in the Heineken next year. If you were drawn in a tough group (with no Italian sides) and came second and then got into the Amlin but progressed and played well, I think that would be a good season for Ulster. If you were in a doable group there'd be plenty of regret though I imagine.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 am

Willy - I don't think they can.

Dropping down to the Amln might not hurt us at all - I would be confident we could progress further.

My concern is Muller as forwards coach. Buzz I was very disappointed with, to be honest. I thought our pack rarely looked like a truly coherent unit, and were sometimes bested by packs that worked together better, without having as good players. I'm just worried Muller is completely raw, in coaching terms.

Now, if BMcL focussed more on forwards and somebody - say a certain current Ulster no. 10's brother - felt he could contribute more to coaching, that might not be so upsetting...

Notch - spot on, not a thing I could disagree with. Perhaps, for this season, there could be Best Score With Final Kick of a Game to Win? There would be - what - three or four potential winners? And I'd have to give it to iHumph - what a moment on the terrace. Goosebumps.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 am

If we were to win the Amlin, it would be wonderful for Ulster. Remember a lot of these guys have never won a trophy. There are our Springboks of course, he veterans of the 2006 campaign and the players who were involved with Ireland in the Grand Slam.

But a lot of young guys in the squad who have never won anything. So an Amlin Cup win would represent progress for the Province and would do wonders for our European seeding.

Willy, these are the European seedings;

Tier 1: Leinster, Toulouse, Munster, Cardiff, Biarritz, Leicester
Tier 2: Northampton, Clermont, Ospreys, Bath, Harlequins, London Irish
Tier 3: Ulster, Saracens. Gloucester, Glasgow, Scarlets, Edinburgh
Tier 4: Treviso, Castres, Connacht, Aironi, Montpellier, Racing Metro

We can't be drawn against any of the other Irish sides and only one French side per group. One group will have two English sides. Which is good, we can;t get Clermont and Racing Metro together like Leinster did last year...

DonAlfonso wrote:Now, if BMcL focussed more on forwards and somebody - say a certain current Ulster no. 10's brother - felt he could contribute more to coaching, that might not be so upsetting...

I believe that's exactly what's happening, McLaughlin and Muller will divide the responsibility of coaching the forwards between them and Humphreys for a more hands-on role. Humphreys is already very involved with the team. I also suspect we will see the signing of a scrum coach to fill Buzzs contract.

I imagine Mullers purview is the lineout.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 am

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9433.php

Review of the season. Just goes to show how poor we were in the interprovincials- cost us a home tie in the semis, and a shot at the ML title.

Just goes to show; lots of progress made, lots still to do! Bring on next year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 am

Best 5 minutes of the season in terms of entertainment were for me at the end of the Dragons game. I realise we struggled throughout that game but those 5 minutes and that end feeling was Yahoo

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Best 5 minutes of the season in terms of entertainment were for me at the end of the Dragons game. I realise we struggled throughout that game but those 5 minutes and that end feeling was Yahoo

I'm not sure my heart would have held out much longer Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down