The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release

+7
Atila
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
wheelchair1991
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
kingraf
hampo17
11 posters

Go down

"Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release  Empty "Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release

Post by hampo17 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 1:41 pm

Thrilling featherweight world champion Nicholas ‘Axe Man’ Walters says he doesn’t recall losing to Columbian hard-hitter Miguel Marriaga as an amateur. 

The undefeated pair do battle this Saturday night, live and exclusive on BoxNation, with Jamaican sensation Walters putting his WBA crown on the line at the iconic Madison Square Garden in New York. 

29-year-old Walters burst onto the scene last year with an emphatic sixth round stoppage over 2012 Fighter of the Year Nonito Donaire, seeing his record go to 25-0 with 21 wins coming from knockout. 

However, Walters has tasted defeat as an amateur that coming against the man he faces this weekend, something which he doesn’t remember too well. 

“Marriaga may have beaten me in the amateurs but I do not remember it. Besides, those fights are four rounds. On Saturday we will be fighting 12 rounds,” said Walters. 

“He may be bringing his ‘A Game’ but I am bringing my ‘A-Plus Game’. I have trained for a knockout victory. I am going to destroy him,” he said. The 

Montego Bay banger is also open to taking on any challengers, with a unification bout with WBO champion Lomachenko having been mooted this week, as Walters first looks forward to fighting at the legendary ‘Mecca of Boxing’. 

“I am overwhelmed to be fighting at Madison Square Garden, the Mecca of Boxing, because so many of boxing’s great champions have fought here. It is hallowed ground. It is my honour and I want to give my best performance there. 

“To be great - to be known as the best - you have to beat the best and I am ready to take on all champions in my division and beyond,” 

Walters said. Big-punching Marriaga, known as ‘The Scorpion’ due to his sting, has amassed an impressive 20 wins and no losses with 18 coming by way of knockout. 

He has laughed off Walters suggestion that he has forgot about his loss to him and is convinced he will produce the same result now as a professional. 

“Of course Walters doesn’t remember me beating him for a spot on the Olympic team - because he lost! He’s not going to remember this Saturday for the same reason,” said Marriaga. 

“I have the strength and the intelligence to beat him and I will use my strength and intelligence. After I beat Walters again on Saturday I look forward to unifying the titles in my next fight,” he said. 

This Saturday’s card also sees future superstar Felix Verdejo in action as he takes on undefeated Ivan Najera in a light-welterweight contest. 

The bill is guaranteed to produce fireworks, with the four undefeated fighters boasting a perfect combined record of 78-0 (60 KOs), which includes a victory by knockout ratio of 77%. 

Puerto Rican hotshot Verdejo, with a record of 17-0 (11 KOs), will be doing battle during the Puerto Rican Day Parade Weekend but is aware that 22-year-old Najera represents his hardest test to date. 

“It is an honour to be fighting on Puerto Rican Day Parade Weekend in boxing’s most historic building, Madison Square Garden. I have dreamed of doing this for so long. 

“And then on Sunday I will be riding on a float in the parade. But first I need to prove myself worthy of these honours,” said Verdejo. 

“Najera is my toughest test as a professional and I have worked very hard in training camp. I am prepared to go mano a mano on Saturday night. I will be fighting not just for myself but for the pride of Puerto Ricans everywhere,” he said. 

Najera, though, is confident of springing the upset and tearing up the script. 

“I am ready for my moment – my date with destiny. I am here to do what I always do – to spoil the party. I have sacrificed so much to be ready for Saturday night but I will be dining out on this victory for years to come.

“June 13 will be remembered as Ivan Najera’s ‘Coming Out Party!’,” he said. 

http://www.v2boxing.co.uk/#!Axe-Man-Walters-Looking-To-Chop-Down-Undefeated-Marriaga-As-He-Denies-Amateur-Loss-Ahead-Of-Gripping-Boxnation-Card/c1xmj/557ad2f90cf2c5991af441ba

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release  Empty Re: "Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release

Post by kingraf Fri 12 Jun 2015, 3:25 pm

Sounds a good fight. It somehow slipped under my radar. Hopefully my local broadcaster shows it, otherwise, gonna have to risk catching cyber STD's.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

"Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release  Empty Re: "Axe Man" Walters Looking To Chop Down Undefeated Marriaga As He Denies Amateur Loss Ahead Of Gripping Boxnation Card - Press Release

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:43 pm

Walters failed to make weight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:24 pm

This failing to make weight crap is becoming ridiculous

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:33 pm

Walters could not make the weight on 2nd try and is stripped of WBA title

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:45 pm

Yeh failed t lose the extra 1.4lbs I believe. Stripped of title and looked really really bad on those scales. Major upset on the cards? Probably not.

Lomachenko fight out the window? Probably.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:50 pm

Gutted if the Lomachenko fight has gone but his own fault

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 13 Jun 2015, 12:18 am

If he can't make the weight anymore, then he has to move up, good news for Selby as Walters is a massive featherweight.

He looked at least 2 divisions bigger when he fought Donaire.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 14 Jun 2015, 5:15 am

Walters won the fight. Apparently he rehydrated himself up to 145lbs before the fight. That's an 18lb increase from his official weigh in weight of 127lbs.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 14 Jun 2015, 11:21 am

Dayum, 18lbs is a lot of weight to shift even for a middleweight, let alone a featherweight

18lbs is about 15%of his body weight, that cant be healthy

Marriaga landed some good shots but just got bullied by the bigger stronger walters!

Shame about lomachenko fight, that was a huge fight

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 14 Jun 2015, 1:31 pm

Not seen the fight yet but I fear for Walters moving forward. If he's just relying on being bigger and stronger at the weight like Rios, Broner, Chavez etc all did he's going to get shown up as soon as that advantage disappears as he has to move up. Still think Donaire would have starched him if they were remotely close in size.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 14 Jun 2015, 4:20 pm

Walters looked poor, definitely needs to move up, apparently came in at 145....

That being said he beat someone who beat him in the amateurs and it was a very good technical battle.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 14 Jun 2015, 5:33 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Walters looked poor, definitely needs to move up, apparently came in at 145....

That being said he beat someone who beat him in the amateurs and it was a very good technical battle.
Yes, he beat someone who beat him in the amateurs but last night he was basically a welterweight vs a lightweight. He had all the advantages, he should have won.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 14 Jun 2015, 6:29 pm

Atila wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Walters looked poor, definitely needs to move up, apparently came in at 145....

Yes, he beat someone who beat him in the amateurs but last night he was basically a welterweight vs a lightweight. He had all the advantages, he should have won.

Very true, just wish Donaire was given the same sympathy when he got in the ring with Walters who looked much much bigger than him.

Still managed to shake him to his boots and would have had him out of there had he had 20 seconds more.... and some people think Quigg has as chance.......

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:19 am

Loma should take the last couple of fights still decent at FW - LSC, Mares maybe and Selby, then chase Walters up to SFW if he's still there. Reckon Loma's got the balls to got to Japan unlike anyone else it seems so it would be great to see him in against those two technicians.

Expect LW would be Loma's limit though, just doesn't have the frame or the pop to go higher.

That's all provided he doesn't come across someone that can throw a check-hook.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Jun 2015, 11:09 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Atila wrote:

Very true, just wish Donaire was given the same sympathy when he got in the ring with Walters who looked much much bigger than him.

Still managed to shake him to his boots and would have had him out of there had he had 20 seconds more.... and some people think Quigg has as chance.......

I think Quigg beats Donaire...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down