The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas

+6
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
Nico the gman
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
wheelchair1991
10 posters

Go down

Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas  Empty Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:21 pm

This has just been confirmed by The WBC President, i thought this would be on a Floyd undercard but obviously not.

How do we see this going?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas  Empty Re: Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:31 pm

Fancy Groves but not without a few awkward moments...

Not been that convincing since Froch 2....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas  Empty Re: Badou Jack v George Groves 22nd August in Vegas

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:35 pm

I have to agree i hope Groves can pull this off

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:37 pm

Brilliant! Good luck Groves.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

Jack is tough, but just keeps plodding forward & with Groves' jab, will be easy to hit. He's nothing special in terms of his boxing technique & basically Dirrell gifted the title to him last time out. Groves on points. Then, I'd expect a Groves v DeGale rematch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:06 pm

Groves wont need any motivation for this, a focused Groves wins this, Groves is good boxer and can hit, Jack was dropped and stopped in 2014, and I fancy Groves to stop him.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:20 pm

Why shouldn't Groves be focused, Nico ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why shouldn't Groves be focused, Nico ???
Some on here have criticized Groves last 2 fights and I don't think George looked as focused and motivated, I personally put it down to an after Froch hangover.
Groves had been pretty flawless up to the Froch fights and with the World title on the line Groves will see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and I believe we'll see the same fully focused fighter that gave Froch the fright of his life and he wins this for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:44 pm

Curious little fight, although I agree about Groves being the favourite. I just wonder, if the fight gets close down the stretch, or even if he's winning, does he start worrying about that one punch which can ruin it for him?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:46 pm

If I'm Jack, I'd spend the whole press tour speaking about how I'm confident because even if Groves can build a lead, we all know it only takes one second to switch his lights off.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:51 pm

kingraf wrote:Curious little fight, although I agree about Groves being the favourite. I just wonder, if the fight gets close down the stretch, or even if he's winning, does he start worrying about that one punch which can ruin it for him?

I don't think Jack has the chin to make it to the later rounds Raf nor does he have the one punch power to turn it around in any case; if Groves is on top form he finishes it early and if he's not then he takes it on points.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:55 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
kingraf wrote:Curious little fight, although I agree about Groves being the favourite. I just wonder, if the fight gets close down the stretch, or even if he's winning, does he start worrying about that one punch which can ruin it for him?

I don't think Jack has the chin to make it to the later rounds Raf nor does he have the one punch power to turn it around in any case; if Groves is on top form he finishes it early and if he's not then he takes it on points.

Don't think he has the one punch power either... But its certainly an element of doubt I'd be putting into Groves' mind for the reasons you've listed, ie the fight is seemingly on Groves' racquet. Might as well try mental disintegration
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:55 pm

i really dont think people know much about jack, he's bang average. the fight vs dirrell was an absolute shocker for the belt. jack's chin is vulnerable too, the way edwards obliterated him in round 1 a few year back says everything. if groves turns up anything like what we know, this probably doesnt go the distance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

kingraf wrote:

Don't think he has the one punch power either... But its certainly an element of doubt I'd be putting into Groves' mind for the reasons you've listed, ie the fight is seemingly on Groves' racquet. Might as well try mental disintegration

It's a possibility and it might be an idea to play up to the fact Groves may be overlooking him with Degale and a big pot of gold on the horizon, I just don't think Jack is anything other than one of the worst world champions around.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 10:11 pm

kingraf wrote:If I'm Jack, I'd spend the whole press tour speaking about how I'm confident because even if Groves can build a lead, we all know it only takes one second to switch his lights off.

Be a surprise if he did Kingy....I mean you don't usually see fighters talking up their chances..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 10:31 pm

Groves stops him within 6. Bearing in mind Jack has fought absolutely nobody and I remember him being stopped in a round against a guy a few fights back. He made a MASSIVELY upset against Direll.....

Groves SHOULD stop this guy if he fights like he did vs Froch.

Even if he doesn't, I'm expecting yet another world champion.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:23 pm

Jack brings little more than a memorable name to the party (anthony Dirrell being a champion of rare mediocrity).

I'm not sure about where groves is at, post-froch, but if he can't beat jack he doesn't deserve to be a world champion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 12:52 am

Jack showed me he's better than I initially thought he was against Dirrell, and Groves has looked a bit off-colour since the Froch knockout. I think Groves just looked jaded in every sense in the back end of 2014 and nine months out of the ring will have done him some good. I think he will win this one in pretty good style.

Unless Groves' stamina / conditioning lets him down I don't really see any area where Jack is his superior. Groves' tank has been a topic of dicussion, but in fairness a large degree of that is based on the Froch fights, and Froch is a bit of an anomaly in that area. He basically makes everyone look a bit ragged and tired late on in fights, even when he loses. Probably makes Groves' perceived problems in that department look worse than they really are.

Jack is fit as a fiddle and keeps his pressure going in to the late rounds, albeit his output isn't particularly eye-catching, but he is very hittable, not very quick (Periban was beating him to the punch on the outside more often than not for six rounds, and Periban is no speedster) and doesn't have that big a variety of shots. Good, dependable jab which he can make in to a nice one-two as he comes forward, but he's pretty reliant on that.

Groves with his hand speed and quick feet should be able to beat him to the punch and rack up plenty of rounds, even if Jack is catching some of them on that high guard. He's not really a counter puncher and I think he'll have a hard time cutting the ring off against Groves, for the first half of the fight at least anyway. The Edwards loss might have been a case of him getting caught cold - can happen now and then - as Jack's chin has otherwise looked decent to me, albeit he's not been in there with a great number of bangers, but I think Groves could win this by a long way on the cards.

As others have said, if Groves can't / doesn't beat Jack then he either a) just isn't as good as we thought, or b) has had something taken from him never to be returned by the Froch KO.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Sep 2015, 10:53 am

I don't think Jack has the chin to make it to the later rounds Raf nor does he have the one punch power to turn it around in any case. I just don't think Jack is anything other than one of the worst world champions around.

More nonsense

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 16 Sep 2015, 10:58 am

Being fair that was the general concensus regarding Jack at the time.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:00 am

Its always easy with hindsight

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:07 am

Yeah, I didn't exactly cover myself in glory with my prediction above either!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:22 am

Not sure I posted mine but I thought GG would have gotten Jack out of there in the mid rounds. Could just be that Jack got caught cold by Edwards who is not slouch in the punch power department. I hadn't seen much of Jack apart from that and the Dirrell fight but he seems more rounded then I intiailly thought.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:30 am

I haven't seen the jack/dirrell fight (I've never rated anthony dirrell anyway), but i had seen jack edwards and jack periban. Maybe I didn't see the best of him!!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down