The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Welterweights

+3
AdamT
88Chris05
RanjitPatel
7 posters

Go down

The Welterweights  Empty The Welterweights

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:24 am

I read last week that Paulie Malignaggi believes that, whilst Mayweather and Pacquaio are the names in the division, Brook, Khan and Thurman are actually the top 3. This made me think if there's any truth in this. Maybe Mayweather and Pacquaio aren't the top guys anymore.

Floyd struggled twice with Maidana and Maidana had only beaten Broner to get the fight. Porter's just beaten him even easier. Pacquaio hasn't gone near any of the top younger guys at the weight. There may be some truth to it.

If Mayweathers next fight was against Brook or Thurman, I'd give them a great chance. Not so much Khan.

Is Paulie right?

Mayweathers got one maybe two fights left and maybe the same for Pacquaio but are Paulie's top 3 better than those 2 now?

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

The Welterweights  Empty Re: The Welterweights

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 10:08 am

Paulie talking a load of cobblers as usual.

Granted, Pacquiao is coming off a loss now and hasn't looked like his old self for a while, but if you want to compare who beat who easier / more impressively etc, how about the fact that before losing to Mayweather he (Pacquiao) beat the brakes off Algieri and floored him six times, whereas Khan, one of the fighters Paulie reckons is now better than Manny, had a hard time of it and won by much, much smaller margins against the same man only last month? Prior to that Pacquiao scored a clear win over Bradley, not mentioned in Paulie's estimations but who has a much better resume at 147 (and in general, to be honest) than all of Brook, Khan and Thurman.

Maybe Paulie's basing some of this on the eye test, but if he is then what does Brook (good, skilled boxer, don't get me wrong) do better than Mayweather, even a 38 year old version? Brook beat Porter in a similar-ish manner to how Mayweather beat Maidana in their first fight (struggled with timing and the rough and tumble nature early on, settled down and picked out the better shots as the pace slowed later on) albeit he never looked as fluid and in control as Mayweather did in the last four rounds. But whereas it's celebrated as a cracking win for Brook, it's a "struggle" for Mayweather which is almost used as a means to criticise him. Now of course Mayweather is naturally going to be judged by different standards, but let's be clear about why he's judged by different standards - because he's better by a long way than Brook. Since those respective fights, Mayweather has beaten Maidana again and Pacquiao. Brook has beaten Jo Jo Dan and Frankie Gavin. No need to expand on that point, really.

I really like and rate Thurman, too, but he's not been in there with a really top fighter yet. He looks the part but until he's fought and beaten one of the other two twenty-somethings mentioned here, or a Bradley / Maidana type, suggesting he's above Floyd and Manny right now is void, for me.

Despite being 38 Mayweather in particular hasn't looked any less impressive or any more vulnerable than these guys and he's been doing it at a higher level, so really there's nothing to suggest that he's slipped behind them in the pecking order regardless of what criteria you use, in my opinion.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 10:52 am

Cheers Chris and good stuff as always. Tend to agree too but I'd give Thurman and Brook a good chance in September. Don't know what it is but I'd just fancy them.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

To be fair, Ranjit, I don’t like Paulie so that may make my judgement of what he’s saying a little more clouded than it should be!

I think Brook's chances would improve significantly if he was fighting Pacquiao rather than Mayweather. Just feel that even now Mayweather does everything Brook does but that bit better, ala the Marquez fight, and it would end up a similarly repetitive and predictable UD for Floyd.

I'd probably give Brook the best chance out of that trio of beating Pacquiao, but the smallest chance out of that trio of beating Mayweather based on styles. If I had to order them I'd tentatively go with Thurman - Khan - Brook in terms who who is more likely to beat Floyd and then go Brook - Thurman - Khan in terms of who is most likely to beat Manny, but not with much conviction. Aside from Khan which is a possibility for Floyd, I can't see any of these guys getting a chance against the big two before they bow out and I'm more excited / intrigued about how fights between themselves and also Bradley and Maidana (rematch in Khan's case) etc play out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 1:32 pm

I'm not saying good fights can't happen with Mayweather and Pacquaio still involved against opponents mentioned but, like you, I think the competition will hot up when they both retire.

Personally wouldn't give Khan a chance against either and think Brook, Thurman, Porter and Maidana all stop him. Getting walked down and even hurt a couple of times by a previously hammered Algieri has made me wake up to Khan's realistic chances against the aforementioned names. No hope for me.

I hope Brook gets the Floyd fight too.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 30 Jun 2015, 1:40 pm

Unless Floyd ages over night I can't pick any Welter to beat him. Don't think Brook has the style to real trouble Mayweather.

Khan has speed but after a couple of rounds Mayweather would time him.

It will never happen but I would like to see Floyd fight GGG. At least at 154, no catchweight. Not sure he would win but it would be a great way to answer critics.

Fighting GGG win or lose, would mean more than finishing with a zero and fighting others.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 1:54 pm

Too small for Golovkin and there's no chance that fight happens. An Hopkins dlh finish if it did. Lots of good names to finish off on but no greats left. Definitely won't be Berto or Mayfield though.
Brook has become more and more logical for me and it's no harder a sell than if he fights anyone else in the welterweight division.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 2:18 pm

It's as If the Manny fight never happened..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

The Manny fight has been and gone. One left and no huge names left to fight.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 2:58 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:The Manny fight has been and gone. One left and no huge names left to fight.

It's still relevant he's just banged out the p4p number 3..................So how is he number 4 at 147 ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 30 Jun 2015, 3:05 pm

Mayweather is on his own by a country mile as the best WW and solidly the p4p no.1 without much competition so Paulie is talking out of his arse.

Pac is a tougher call. Mayweather beat him fair and square, however if Manny was hampered by a bad injury then I'd still make him favourite to beat Thurman, Brook and Khan.

I've gone off Khan in the last 12 months, the Algieri fight just cements what I suspect and when he finally fights a big name at WW he loses.

Thurman looks good but I don't buy that his power is massive like some claim, just very good. I'd like to see him and Porter as they were both rated quite evenly before Brook took his crown.

At the moment I see all 3 names as very good welters but I think Paulie is just being controversial saying they are the best in the division... and he knows it.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 6:38 pm

Last person he 'banged out' was Ortiz. Paulie's saying he's number 4 in the division. I don't speak/write for Paulie but wanted to know what people thought of it.

At the risk of being repetitive, Brook and Thurman beat Manny for me and have a swell chance against Floyd. Khan loses to all of them. If Khan doesn't get Floyd in September I'll be backing him to get ko'd in his next fight. Think his head will go.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 7:34 pm

A lot of hype around Thurman.............But the jury is out for me......Looks good but still to be tested..

Brook however I would make a slight favorite to beat Manny............As for Floyd well he's 38 so there is every chance he'll get old overnight.....

Wouldn't rule any of them out or in against Floyd............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 30 Jun 2015, 8:01 pm

Thurman Mayweather could be a good fight. Would never bet against Mayweather but I think Thurman could push him harder than most. Khan and Brook would be easy nights work for either Mayweather or Pac I reckon

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 30 Jun 2015, 8:03 pm

I have yet to see anything in Thurman to suggest he gets near Mayweather, aside from being a highly touted American what exactly has he done or shown to deserve such recognition?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:04 pm

I think he hits harder and more accurate than Maidana. I also thought he performed very well against Guerrero

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:54 pm

Gerruero and Bundu lasted though Lance..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:59 pm

As did Zaveck, his power really isn't that great, he's got decent enough timing but he's not in Brook's league in that respect and isn't the quickest.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 30 Jun 2015, 10:10 pm

Im not saying hes the next superstar. But I would rather watch him fight Flloyd than either the two brits. Think it would be more exciting.

I think he would beat Maidana. Disappointed in his next fight though. WW is fast becoming as tedious as HW with too many guys treading water while they wait for other avenues to open up

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 30 Jun 2015, 11:47 pm

Welterweight to me is in the same boat as middleweight. The better fights will come when Mayweather/Pacquaio/Golovkin retire/move up.

Mayweather is the main man and everyone wants to fight him. Brook holds a title and would be seen as an easier way to win a title but no one seems to be calling him out. Doesn't make sense to me.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:20 am

RanjitPatel wrote:Welterweight to me is in the same boat as middleweight. The better fights will come when Mayweather/Pacquaio/Golovkin retire/move up.

Mayweather is the main man and everyone wants to fight him. Brook holds a title and would be seen as an easier way to win a title but no one seems to be calling him out. Doesn't make sense to me.

Don't be so sure....It's the milking age and three titles will become vacant..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:50 am

Yeah you could be right there. Nice to have a bit of hope though.

Khan will probably start making better match ups if he doesn't get Mayweather in September. Most, if not all of the top ten will want to fight him. Porter, Bradley and Maidana will fight anyone. Doesn't look too bad if any of them become mandatory for Brook.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down