The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Walter Smith?

+7
marcellus wallace
super_realist
camerajuan
Nautius=HailHailTheCelts
TipToes88
Nay
User Name
11 posters

Go down

Sir Walter Smith? Empty Sir Walter Smith?

Post by User Name Tue 31 May - 19:01

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-11/1823

That this Houserecognises the outstanding achievements of Walter Smith, recently retired manager of Glasgow Rangers FC, having guided the club to a Scottish Premier League 54th league title which was the third consecutive triumph at a time when the club's future was uncertain due to takeover speculation, and when the club had very scarce resources which itself led to a very small playing squad; and expresses hope that steps have already been taken to ensure that Mr Smith, who has been widely acknowledged by numerous football professionals on and off the pitch as being one of the most successful Scottish football managers in the past 50 years, will be suitably recognised in the forthcoming honours announcements.

Arise Sir Walter Smith?

User Name

Back to top Go down

Sir Walter Smith? Empty Re: Sir Walter Smith?

Post by Nay Tue 31 May - 19:07

As a rangers fan i would be delighted if he became Sir Walter

On a side note glad to see the government busy with the important issues

🤦

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Wed 1 Jun - 9:23

His always been Sir Walter to me

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Nautius=HailHailTheCelts Sat 4 Jun - 10:16

Well tbh, in as much as he was good in Scotland his European record overall was really poor was it not? Think there are more deserving of a knighthood.

Nautius=HailHailTheCelts

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Sat 4 Jun - 17:26

Nah, Europa League final, almost reaching the Champs league final and a win ratio of around 64% over 11 years in charge doesn't seem meritorious enough really does it??

Think again. He deserves it.

camerajuan

https://www.youtube.com/user/pondguard22?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jun - 12:41

A knighthood for managing in a worthless tinpot two horse league equal in stature to the Tippeligean?

Being involved with Scottish Football either managing or playing deserves derision and ridicule for a lack of ambition, not awards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Tue 14 Jun - 20:45

Not a fan of scottish football then.A bit harsh saying anyone involved.But it is laughable to say that he should be knighted.

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Wed 15 Jun - 10:02

Another bitter one.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 15 Jun - 11:38

The man won 9 league titles in a row. Did an excellent job with a club, Everton, who were in a dreadful situation. Turned a nation from 86th in the world to the highest it has ever been.

Yes, he is without a doubt one of the worst managers ever. Seriously, the guy deserves credit. He is a cracking manager and this is coming from a Dons fan.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Wed 15 Jun - 17:11

no one has said he is one of the worst managers ever.he spent millions with rangers and failed to do what his chairman wanted.got sacked at everton.done well with scotland and had us believing again after the vogts fiasco.then left us in lurch.knighted seriously.

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Jun - 17:25

super_realist wrote:A knighthood for managing in a worthless tinpot two horse league equal in stature to the Tippeligean?

Being involved with Scottish Football either managing or playing deserves derision and ridicule for a lack of ambition, not awards.

🤦

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Jun - 17:45

As for the topic, I don't think he should be Knighted, he was lucky enough to take over a Rangers team who where miles ahead of the rest in Scottish Football in terms of finance and I believe they had the 3rd biggest wage bill in the UK when he took over, for 4 seasons he simply wasn't challenged, his 8 and 9th title he did well, got a raw deal at Everton where he spent most of his time peeing against the wind, was superb for Scotland and for me his greatest achievements came on his return to Rangers, he's a very successful manager within the Scottish game but i don't think that constitutes a Knighthood.

Also, Wattie is my uncles best mate, he was best man at my uncles two weddings in 1969 and last year and is a close family friend, i'd love to see him get one but I genuinely don't believe his career as successful as it was merits one, I think he'd have a stronger case if he was known for bringing through young talent as well as spending money

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Wed 15 Jun - 17:53

at the weekend i heard one of funniest things ever and most delusional in a debate about him with one of my mates.he said rangers punched above their weight in SCOTTISH football in his first stint more so in when he won the league for the first time.i nearly peed myself.he was serious aswell.

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Jul - 15:45

What has he done to deserve to be called SIR Walter? Sir Alex was a cert this ones a joke.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 10 Jul - 15:56

Might as well start handing out Knighthoods to managers with a good record in the conference.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down