The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

+38
Bob_the_Job
Be_the_ball
EdWoodjr
sportform
McLaren
raycastleunited
liverbnz
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
ralphjohn69
hend085
owen10ozzy
George1507
Seve76
Roller_Coaster
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
MontysMerkin
Scottrf
beninho
LadyPutt
gw
twoeightnine
MustPuttBetter
incontinentia
puligny
robopz
JAS
Shotrock
barragan
navyblueshorts
SmithersJones
Davie
I'm never wrong
super_realist
GPB
kwinigolfer
pedro
sirbenson
42 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 9 Empty THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by sirbenson Sun 12 Jul 2015, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Congrats to Zach Johnson

Last edited by sirbenson on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm; edited 12 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 9 Empty Re: THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 19 Jul 2015, 1:19 pm

So Davie for those saying roll on the Open going to Sky by either saying outright or implying/agreeing that they will give it more time and coverage, really what you're saying is -

"Roll on it moving to Sky because I don't think the BBC give it enough. I know they have shown the same as Sky do for every stroke play event they show, major or otherwise. But I really have a feeling there's a chance Sky might show more"

That's a fair enough opinion but really nothing more than a hunch. And not one I subscribe to. In terms of evidence of coverage times looks like much of a muchness to me
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 19 Jul 2015, 1:26 pm

With the low scoring flying around, I don't think this will be the day when someone wins The Open, but slip up and they could certainly see their chances disappear.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 19 Jul 2015, 1:29 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:So Davie for those saying roll on the Open going to Sky by either saying outright or implying/agreeing that they will give it more time and coverage, really what you're saying is -

"Roll on it moving to Sky because I don't think the BBC give it enough. I know they have shown the same as Sky do for every stroke play event they show, major or otherwise. But I really have a feeling there's a chance Sky might show more"

That's a fair enough opinion but really nothing more than a hunch. And not one I subscribe to. In terms of evidence of coverage times looks like much of a muchness to me
That is only worthwhile for those few who have Sky Sports though. For the extra few millions that don't the BBC coverage is better than no coverage.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

Agreed sporty, unless DJ goes out and shoots something ridiculous.
I think my chances in your game disappeared on Thursday . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:15 pm

Go on Paddy! Keep piling in the birdies!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:23 pm

Englishman tied for the lead at the Open. Oops, hits a Hotel !

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

For all the low scoring, it's most likely that DJ will head out still in the lead - "put the foot down and don't stop" is what I imagine Screaming Lord Butch will tell him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:25 pm

Incredible from Harrington. If he can manage to get in at -10, who knows tomorrow.............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 19 Jul 2015, 3:46 pm

Please let Harrington and Sergio be paired together tomorrow!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

incontinentia wrote:Please let Harrington and Sergio be paired together tomorrow!

Haven't seen Harri putt this good since 2007/08............a 4,4 finish for -10 would be fine.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:33 pm

The Open is very much living upto it's name with six tied for first and 20 odd within a few shots of the lead.

Scrap that. Amateur Paul Dunne is on -11.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
Davie wrote:
The last 20 minutes were awful - all they did was focus on Tom Watson finishing in the dark.

Yes he deserved a send off but I was astounded they spent 20 minutes on him - and then the coverage finished and they didn't even show the leaderboard

No actually not astounded; just what I'd expect from the BBC
That's because no one else was actually playing at that time. The hooter had gone but they let Tom finish.
Ah, but why let a fact get in the way of a good anti-BBC rant eh?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:44 pm

Spieth to -11 & leads

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:45 pm

Davie wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:Anyone know where I can start watching Round 3....given BBC coverage doesn't start till 11!! I don't mind the beebs coverage but for this reason alone (always the same regards starting almost couple hours after first pairing have teed off) I'm looking forward to it moving to sky!

Careful you'll have NBS accusing you of whining Rolling Eyes
Yep, that you will boxing .
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:49 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:P.s. The website doesn't even have live updates rolling for this mornings action!! Appalling!
:yawn: Can I suggest someone (you? Davie?) starts a "Sky golf vs. BBC golf" thread instead of us carrying on with this here?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 4:53 pm

raycastleunited wrote:...I know mr over opinionated navy blue ostrich thinks it's all marvellous. You suggested to Davie he record it all, well that's not really possible when they chop and change coverage and timetable from hour to hour.
picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm

Certainly boiling up to a nice conclusion. The way Spieth's playing (obviously the lack of knowledge re. the course was a problem), if he gets a start tomorrow, I think the rest can pack up.
The Silver Medal is a bit of an eye opener this time around - some seriously good play from the amateurs and I don't just mean Dunne in that. Sometimes there's only one guy in round 3 to claim the medal.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:09 pm

Has Adam Scott ever been seen without sunglasses ? Probably sleeps with them on.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:27 pm

I think the BMW proves that Sky, even when the host broadcaster, won't show the entire day's play. I've though for some time now that there ought to be a BBC sport channel available fta and showing live sport when available and classic archive footage the rest of the time.

On another note, the DJ fan club are rather quiet today.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

Pressure getting to DJ again by the looks of things! Can't say the scores aren't out there because those who started day behind him are shooting them so pressure is clearly having an impact.

That said I still wouldn't like to call it even with Spieth leading ATM it's not cut and dry; if weather is same tomorrow then anyone with 2/3 of lead is capable of shooting a 7/8 under to win or indeed force a playoff!

Regardless of the sky/BBC debate (only time will tell on that front I guess so pointless arguing it) this has been a fantastic open with great scoring yet some difficulties thrown in. Out of interest can anyone remember a major with so many players within 2 going into the final round?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm

Might suit Dunne not to play in the final group tomorrow, but this is great t watch......

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Pressure getting to DJ again by the looks of things! Can't say the scores aren't out there because those who started day behind him are shooting them so pressure is clearly having an impact.

That said I still wouldn't like to call it even with Spieth leading ATM it's not cut and dry; if weather is same tomorrow then anyone with 2/3 of lead is capable of shooting a 7/8 under to win or indeed force a playoff!

Regardless of the sky/BBC debate (only time will tell on that front I guess so pointless arguing it) this has been a fantastic open with great scoring yet some difficulties thrown in. Out of interest can anyone remember a major with so many players within 2 going into the final round?
You think? No way. Not part way through round 3. Fact is, he's simply played well for the first two and is now having a day when it's not quite on. Pressure isn't going to enter into it for DJ until last round and maybe last 9.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 19 Jul 2015, 5:53 pm

Choking, plain and simple. Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:03 pm

im not saying he's choking but he most certainly isn't just having an off day! He's playing bang average on a course where most are shooting at least 2/3 under par! You can't say that has nothing to do with how everyone is playing. Sports people who say they don't feel pressure are lying plain and simple! Some cope with it better than others...DJ's game hasn't gone to shot completely, still striking it relatively nicely off the tee but his short game isn't on at all and I'd say he has had a couple of 'head scratching' shots, i.e. Two wedge shots on the back 9 where he tried to bump and run and just read it completely wrong.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:06 pm

And why don't you believe he would feel it just because it's round 3?! People who get a penalty in the 2nd min feel pressure...just because it's not the 89th minute and last chance to score doesn't mean pressure isn't there.

He was leading and shooting good scores; would have seen a group of 3/4 behind had gathered to around 9/10 and would have seen the scores being shot were decent...think that would have inevitable put some pressure on him.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:20 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Choking, plain and simple. Wink
:yawn: Very Happy
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

Nicely Dunne, Paul

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:25 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:im not saying he's choking but he most certainly isn't just having an off day! He's playing bang average on a course where most are shooting at least 2/3 under par! You can't say that has nothing to do with how everyone is playing. Sports people who say they don't feel pressure are lying plain and simple! Some cope with it better than others...DJ's game hasn't gone to shot completely, still striking it relatively nicely off the tee but his short game isn't on at all and I'd say he has had a couple of 'head scratching' shots, i.e. Two wedge shots on the back 9 where he tried to bump and run and just read it completely wrong.
Of course I can. DJ has played the first two rounds in an average of 67 at The Open. Pretty special. To assume that, just because others are making a score, he's 'choking' makes little sense. Even the best have average days and this is most likely one of his. If he misses a 2 footer on 18 to make a playoff tomorrow, I'll listen to claims of 'choke', even if it is a snide and nasty term.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:36 pm

Dustin needs a heimlich Run

This is shaping up for a great final round Drool
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:46 pm

Padraig Harrington fanbloodytastic!!!!!

Great stuff from Dunne as well!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm

Nah not having it Navy; the man can't play when out in front once the pressure starts coming...be it in the 3rd or final round. I'm not assuming he's choking because others are playing well (at this point like to make clear I didn't say choking I said simply pressure has to a degree got to him)...I'm saying that 2 odd decisions with the wedge and a couple of rather errant shots on the back 9 all whilst others are catching/ alongside him suggests he's felt the pressure yet again

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:02 pm

Well that 18th hole was not good by Dustin Johnson.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:02 pm

What on earth DJ

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:06 pm

So the the final two pairs tomorrow will feature four players from four continents. One amateur, one going for golfs 'grand slam', one looking for back-to-back St Andrews Open's and one looking to win his first major after a few near misses.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:08 pm

Dustin Johnson needs a professional caddie - even someone as good and as smart as Adam Scott proved the value of having an absolutely top guy on the bag, in your ear.
DJ made a bad decision not playing out on #14 on Friday night, turned a Friday birdie into a Saturday bogey and never looked the same after that. Laid up when he should have ripped his teeball, completely went to sleep around the greens. Whatever goes on between him and Butch before the round certainly didn't manifest itself on the course. It looks like he'll play tomorrow with Furyk, perhaps the Great One can get LaCava on his bag by then.

But he'll win Majors, wouldn't put it past him to shoot a 62 on Monday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:09 pm

I totally disagree with those saying DJ choked that in the third round, he just played poorly plain and simple....it happens

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Nah not having it Navy; the man can't play when out in front once the pressure starts coming...be it in the 3rd or final round. I'm not assuming he's choking because others are playing well (at this point like to make clear I didn't say choking I said simply pressure has to a degree got to him)...I'm saying that 2 odd decisions with the wedge and a couple of rather errant shots on the back 9 all whilst others are catching/ alongside him suggests he's felt the pressure yet again
Whatever. We'll just have to disagree on it I guess. That said, whatever the reasons, DJ made a pig's ear of the last few holes! May be better for him if he's shooting at the leaders tomorrow though.
One thing's for sure - shaped up to be potentially a fascinating last round tomorrow.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:17 pm

sirbenson wrote:I totally disagree with those saying DJ choked that in the third round, he just played poorly plain and simple....it happens
Won't hear me disagreeing with you there!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:21 pm

The problem is benson that his remarkably poor rounds/costly mistakes always seem to come when under some form of pressure (you can argue the difference between 3rd round pressure, 4th round pressure or winning shot pressure till the cows come home but ultimately all 3 come with pressure of some form)...when the tough gets going Dustin seems to vanish and it can't keep being put down to just a 'poor round that was enevitable'.

Kwini may have a point regards the caddie; but again will someone in his ear make a difference in the pivotal moments..not sure it will personally.

navy - in some ways it may be a better chase with Johnson where he is now...for him as well...I will hedge my bets that he shoots something low and sets a target for others now he is chasing rather than being chased. Simply just don't think he's comfortable in that lead position.

Can't wait till tomorrow though that's for sure!! Look forward to lots of discussion tomorrow chaps!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:39 pm

Three of the 12 Open Qualifiers are in the top 6.

Dunne, Neibrugge, and Goosen.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:41 pm

Looking at that leaderboard and the predicted forecast for tomorrow, it's hard to see past Spieth

Current odds are like this...

Jordan Spieth 5/2
Louis Oosthuizen 10/3
Jason Day 7/2
Paul Dunne 20/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Padraig Harrington 22/1
Sergio Garcia 22/1
Zach Johnson 33/1
Dustin Johnson 40/1
Danny Willett 50/1
Charl Schwartzel 66/1

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm

Can't defend the beeb with tomorrow's tv times. They've dropped a bollock with that one.

Though I'm at work till 4pm, so don't bother me!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:03 pm

beninho wrote:Can't defend the beeb with tomorrow's tv times. They've dropped a bollock with that one.

Though I'm at work till 4pm, so don't bother me!!

Agreed, I don't get why they don't at least have a red button option from 11 or so?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:06 pm

What are the TV times?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm

1.45 start on bbbc. Red button from 1.30. With the leaders off at 2.30 it's a bit late to start showing in my opinion. If weather gets up in the arvo someone could come from an early starter.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

There must be something really interesting on Country File or Homes Under The Hammer then

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm

A bit bizarre why they can't put it on BBC 3/4

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:20 pm

I've got DJ in our Open Pro am and am feeling pretty chipper about the chances of him rescuing me from a very average round today (mine not his). Dune was fantastic, but interesting that neither he nor the American am made it through the strokeplay in British Am a few weeks ago. Shows how much talent there is in the am ranks.
Interesting international leaderboard for a tourney that restricts access GPB?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:22 pm

Davie, when did Sky ever show every shot? Even Ryder Cup is effectively highlights although their promo says you will see every shot it is nothing like and you lucky to see every player!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:32 pm

What a silly reply. I never said they show every shot. With that many games on the course they can't possibly show every shot. What I said was they show coverage from first tee shot to last putt

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next