The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July

+10
rodders
blackcanelion
offload
wales606
Higher_Ground
aucklandlaurie
hugehandoff
doctor_grey
yappysnap
George Carlin
14 posters

Go down

TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Empty TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July

Post by George Carlin Wed 22 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Pumas_10           TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Wallab10      
ARGENTINA v AUSTRALIA

25 July 2015
KO: 19:40 ART (UTC-03)
Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza

TV TBC

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Recent History

4 October 2014
Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza
21 – 17 to Argentina

13 September 2014
Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast
32 – 25 to Australia

5 October 2013
Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario
17 – 54 to Australia

14 September 2013
Subiaco Oval, Perth
14 – 13 to Australia

6 October 2012
Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario
19 – 25 to Australia

15 September 2012
Skilled Park, Gold Coast
23 – 19 to Australia

10 October 2003
Stadium Australia, Sydney
24 – 8 to Australia

B. Squads

1. Argentina

Horacio Agulla, Matías Alemanno, Marcos Ayerza, Marcelo Bosch, Gonzalo Camacho, Santiago Cordero, Agustín Creevy, Tomás Cubelli, Jerónimo de la Fuente, Matías Díaz, Felipe Ezcurra, Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe, Juan Figallo, Lucas González Amorosino, Santiago González Iglesias, Juan Martín Hernández, Ramiro Herrera, Santiago Iglesias Valdez, Juan Imhoff, Facundo Isa, Martín Landajo, Tomás Lavanini, Juan Manuel Leguizamón, Tomás Lezana, Benjamín Macome, Pablo Matera, Julián Montoya, Matías Moroni, Lucas Noguera, Javier Ortega Desio, Guido Petti Pagadizabal, Nicolás Sánchez, Leonardo Senatore, Juan Pablo Socino, Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Joaquín Tuculet.

2. Australia

Backs: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Quade Cooper, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Matt Giteau, Rob Horne, Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Drew Mitchell, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Nick Phipps, Henry Speight, Matt Toomua, Joe Tomane, Nic White.

Forwards: David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Scott Sio, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Toby Smith, Wyclif Palu, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon, Dean Mumm, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu, Rory Arnold, Dave Dennis, James Hanson, Scott Fardy, Tetera Faulkner, James Horwill, Scott Higginbotham, Greg Holmes, Michael Hooper

C. Teams

1. Argentina
TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Julie-10
[tbc]

2. Australia
TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Rose-b10
[tbc]
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Empty Re: TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Jul 2015, 9:07 pm

Australia need to play Hooper and Pocock on the flanks with Higginbothan at 8 if they want their best backriw out there.

Against SA Hooper was too weak at the breakdown and Fardy was anonymous, the game started to turn when Pocock came on and started effecting the breakdown.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July Empty Re: TRC Round 2: Argentina v Australia, 25 July

Post by doctor_grey Thu 23 Jul 2015, 1:58 am

I agree Pocock and Hooper is probably the better combo for tis match. But I would also be a little concerned about Hooper being a little undersized. I don't think Aus are going to go after Argentina up the jumper so a mobile back row is probably the way to go.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:20 am

Australia coach Michael Cheika has made seven changes to his team for this weekend’s test against Argentina, bringing Bernard Foley back at flyhalf and giving David Pocock the start at openside flanker.

The Wallabies narrowly edged their Rugby Championship opener against South Africa in Brisbane last weekend and while Cheika lost three players to injury, he is clearly keen to take a look at a few more potential combinations in Mendoza.

Foley, who started 12 of Australia’s 14 Tests last season but was dropped for Brisbane, regains the No10 shirt from Quade Cooper, who had a patchy outing against the Springboks.

“We are fortunate with the level of depth in the squad to be able to cover for the injuries we sustained last Saturday night against the Springboks,” Cheika said.

“They all deserve their start against Los Pumas and they now have an opportunity to build on the performance last week and stake their claims. We have two fine playmakers in Quade and Bernard. Both players can make an enormous impact on our team.”

Nick Phipps replaces the injured Will Genia at scrumhalf, while Matt Toomua is rewarded for a fine performance off the bench in Brisbane with a start at inside centre in place of Matt Giteau, who is struggling with a sternum problem.

Former skipper Michael Hooper returns to the bench to make way for Pocock but there is a good chance both flankers will be on the pitch at the same time against the Pumas after being two of Australia’s best performers in Brisbane.

The in-form Joe Tomane comes in on the wing instead of Rob Horne, who aggravated a calf problem against South Africa, while Ben McCalman will play his first Test of the year in place of Scott Higginbotham at No8.
Advertisement

Greg Holmes was another replacement who impressed in Brisbane while playing his first Test since 2007 and he is rewarded with the start at tighthead prop in place of Sekope Kepu.

Kepu was named on the bench along with lock Dean Mumm, who looks set to play his first Test for five years, and versatile back Kurtley Beale, who will win his 50th cap after recovering from a quadricep strain.

After the Test against Argentina, Australia have only back-to-back matches against world champions New Zealand and a Test against the United States in Chicago before the World Cup.

Team: 15-Israel Folau, 14-Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13-Tevita Kuridrani, 12-Matt Toomua, 11-Joe Tomane, 10-Bernard Foley, 9-Nick Phipps, 8-Ben McCalman, 7-David Pocock, 6-Scott Fardy, 5-Rob Simmons, 4-Will Skelton, 3-Greg Holmes, 2-Stephen Moore (captain), 1-James Slipper

Replacements: 16-Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17-Scott Sio, 18-Sekope Kepu, 19-Dean Mumm, 20-Michael Hooper, 21-Nic White, 22-Quade Cooper, 23-Kurtley Beale

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:11 pm

Interesting side, not sure about the backrow but should beat Argentina

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 26 Jul 2015, 3:08 am

Australia 30 Argentina 9 brings Australia level with the ABs as the two unbeaten teams, with the Rugby championship being decided in a fort nights time in Sydney.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 26 Jul 2015, 3:33 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Australia 30 Argentina 9 brings Australia level with the ABs as the two unbeaten teams, with the Rugby championship being decided in a fort nights time in Sydney.
Yeah, but...........
Not a rippin' performance by Aus.  I'm not feeling worried about them based on this one performance.  Can't imagine you are either.
But the Wallabies do have an annoying penchant to up their game at inconvenient times.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jul 2015, 1:43 pm

So Hooper is probably going to miss the decider. I can understand why he will get a ban, but it does irk me that the Argentinian's foul play won't be penalised at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 26 Jul 2015, 6:03 pm

What punishment do you think he deserves Rev? Looks like he had a light grip of Hooper's wrist, and given that Hooper managed to spin 360 degrees and smash him in the face, chances are he probably could have freed himself without looking like an UTTER savage.
Lengthy ban please, doesn't matter what the guy was doing to him, that's literally outrageous and doesn't border on common assault, it is.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 26 Jul 2015, 6:35 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:What punishment do you think he deserves Rev? Looks like he had a light grip of Hooper's wrist, and given that Hooper managed to spin 360 degrees and smash him in the face, chances are he probably could have freed himself without looking like an UTTER savage.
Lengthy ban please, doesn't matter what the guy was doing to him, that's literally outrageous and doesn't border on common assault, it is.

It looks pretty bad. Won't be surprised if he misses the start of the RWC.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jul 2015, 9:46 pm

I am fully aware how serious an offence Hooper's is and I am sure he will be dealt with. I just don't think any form of cheating should go unpunished. It might be just a light grip on Hooper's wrist, but it is obvious what his intentions are and it is still cheating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 26 Jul 2015, 11:02 pm

Well yes, but you get that sort of infringement to a greater or lesser extent at every run in to the line, and given the fact that it had no impact on the outcome, I don't come away from that little vignette lamenting the fact that the sparked out guy isn't getting a yellow.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 26 Jul 2015, 11:25 pm

The commentary team never mentioned it, either during or after the match. It was the Aussie one, but I missed it when the match was live as well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 27 Jul 2015, 12:33 am

I commend Hooper for the accuracy of the punch. Shame it was on the rugby field. Will probably cost him some of the world cup - and rightly so.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 27 Jul 2015, 4:45 am

Just looked at the punch on youtube and reviewed punishments from earlier this year. I think it's pretty obvious he'll get a ban (holding back etc, doesn't seem to be uncommon in these types of incidents). It looks like a three game suspension is the norm. If that's the case he'll probably get about a 6 week ban that would include both games against NZ and the game against the USA. It would mean he'd be available for all the world cup games.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Mon 27 Jul 2015, 7:39 am

I might have to do a bit of a climb down here. Although it was completely unnecessary, and ridiculous from a man who's captained his country a good few times, I'm seeing an open hand on the zoomed in shots. I think?

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 27 Jul 2015, 9:57 am

Ozzies looking in good nick heading into the RWC. The pack is looking powered up a bit under Cheika, Pocock is getting back to his best and the backline is one of the best around. Place kicking could be the achilles heal but I fancy them to beat both Wales and England in September and think they are real dark horses for the rwc.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 Jul 2015, 10:43 am

Higher_Ground wrote:I might have to do a bit of a climb down here. Although it was completely unnecessary, and ridiculous from a man who's captained his country a good few times, I'm seeing an open hand on the zoomed in shots. I think?

Link to footage?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm

Poor showing from the Argies. They were lucky it wasn't a bigger scoreline.

The big worry for the Aussies is their scrum. England in particular could destroy it.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:13 pm

JP Socino had a decent game in the centres for Argentina. He's really making strides since we signed him from Rotherham....to playing v Australia.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 27 Jul 2015, 5:00 pm

profitius wrote:Poor showing from the Argies. They were lucky it wasn't a bigger scoreline.

The big worry for the Aussies is their scrum. England in particular could destroy it.

Agree. They seem to have gone backwards. Poor decision making from 9 and 10 and poor execution elsehere.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 27 Jul 2015, 5:07 pm

Missed this game. Did Pocock and Hooper ever get onto the field at the same time? How did that work?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 28 Jul 2015, 12:34 am

Higher_Ground wrote:I might have to do a bit of a climb down here. Although it was completely unnecessary, and ridiculous from a man who's captained his country a good few times, I'm seeing an open hand on the zoomed in shots. I think?
I can't tell whether it was an open hand or a closed fist. But he turned completely around and smacked a defenseless player. With emphasis. Screw him. Bin him until next year for all I care. That stupid teenage crap has got to go from Rugby.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 28 Jul 2015, 3:48 am

Will be a cracking decider with Aus the team to beat in my view; and Pool A teams will be definitely a little more nervous if they win. Loss of Hooper would be huge, the Hooper Pocock back row is simply irresistible and with a solid scrum and typically potent back line Aus could g all the way this year if they top the group

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down