The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Football Reads

4 posters

Go down

Best Football Reads Empty Best Football Reads

Post by Norfolk and Good Tue 31 May 2011, 10:05 pm

Most football books are the same old same old.

Any suggestions for a good football read.

A few I have enjoyed

My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes.
Footballs Comic Book Heroes.
Those Feet.
London Fields.

Norfolk and Good

Back to top Go down

Best Football Reads Empty Re: Best Football Reads

Post by boomdangle Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:20 am

just finished reading Paul Merson's how not to be a professional footballer, some of his antics and how the managers just used to let them slide is crazy.

Graham Taylor had no control, then again some of the players in his squads at the time i dont think anyone could control them

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

Stanley Matthews autobiography 'The Way it Was' is an exceptionally good read and offers a remarkable insight into football in the pre war and postwar eras. Also has a wonderful quote from Jimmy McIlroy when he signed for Stoke at about 36 (and Stan being 45 or so), along the lines of it fulfilling an ambition to play on the same side as Matthews, and that the opportunity had nearly past because while Stan still had another decade in him, Jimmy McIlroy probably only had a couple more seasons.

Another interesting book is 'Geroge Best and 21 others', which tells the story of the players involved in a Man U v Man City youth cup semi final in (about) 1963. Obviously, Best went on to be a legend, Jimmy Rimmer and Mike Doyle had great careers and half a dozen others had varying degrees of success as pros (often curtailed by injury as much as a lack of ability), but some either never made the grade or faded away.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:20 pm

"Addicted" by Tony Adams a truly awesome book. I think especially if you're not an Arsenal fan.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down