The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
SmithersJones
Faldono1fan
John Cregan
NedB-H
Redrage
venice1
Davie
Maverick
Shotrock
McLaren
pedro
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 31 May 2011, 10:44 pm

1).Hurrah! The PGA Tour is moving North, for the first time this year, to the Columbus, Ohio, area, home of Jack Nicklaus's masterpiece, Muirfield Village. We are here for the lyrically named "the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance", with a strong field including some refugees from Wentworth's Sunday play: Donald, McIlroy, Els, Aiken and EMolinari, plus Joost Luiten making a rare PGA Tour appearance.

2).Luke Donald will be playing his fourth tournament in four weeks, Florida, Spain, England, Ohio, not his usual schedule and it remains to be seen whether he'll be competitive or running on fumes. But CONGRATULATIONS! to Luke on becoming the latest Number One. Lots written elsewhere about his achievement but haven't seen this note: Luke now has 274 owgr points this year, 104 more than Charl Schwartzel in second place. That 100+ points is equivalent to a Major so you can judge for yourselves the magnitude of his achievement.

3).The European Tour, PGA Tour and Senior PGA Championship each was decided last week by a play-off, with the winner of each claiming victory on the 73rd hole. Don't see that often!

4).Many pros would consider Muirfield Village to be among the top three Tour stops all year, Majors included, and I can vouch for it being a spectacular lay-out, almost as good for spectators as it must be to play. Only criticism might be that, among the 4 par 3's, only the 12th hole (copied from Augusta National's 12th) could be described as truly memorable. But Happy Jack has redesigned the 16th hole, bringing water into play, and it will be fascinating to see how it plays this week.

5).Justin Rose defends his Memorial title, teeing off on the back of some pretty indifferent finishes. Just like 2010. Competition comes from Phil, Rory (this course should suit him, 10th last year), Kuchar, Stricker, Schwartzel, Dustin, Bubba, Mahan, Els, Furyk and, of course, St Luke.

6).Players not yet qualified for the US Open can still avoid the purgatory of 36-hole qualifying by being in the owgr top fifty as at June 13th.
Among those on the outside looking in are:
#52).Fisher: Playing at the Wales Open.
54).Woodland: Playing Memorial
55).Holmes: At Memorial
60).Marino: At Memorial
61).Ikeda: Not known if he's playing in Japan.
62).Vijay Singh: At Memorial
65).Dufner: Not playing.

7).Memorial is the second tournament in the R&A's contrived mini-money list whereby the top 2 not already exempt receive invites to Royal St.George's. The two leaders currently are 1st: Goydos and 2nd: Dufner and Holmes tied.

8).Once again, Casey, Goosen and Oosthuizen are mia on the PGA Tour. They have each only played 7 events this year and time is running out for them to squeeze in the 15 minimum. Tears almost certain for at least one of them. Hope they have this figured out. Poulter only a touch better off.

9).The Nationwiders are in Maryland with Russell Knox hoping to improve his Top 25 position from 14th. Danny Lee is curently 10th and could well have to chose next year between the Europoean Tour that's been pretty good in giving him opportunities and the PGA Tour.

10).And the Champions Tour is in Des Moines, Iowa. There was a 606 discussion recently about favourite caddies. Mine is Damon Green (Zach Johnson's eyes and ears), once apparently a mini-Tour lifer who narrowly missed qualifying for this year's Champions Tour. But he has a sponsor's invite for this week and let's hope he plays well; no word as to whether Zach and his god are on his bag.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Tue 31 May 2011, 11:09 pm

Good post - keep them coming.

Wouldn't mind Zacher on my bag -- if he could just provide me with an open line to the man upstairs (need it).

Good to see Mahan back -- I assume he likes Muirfield Village more than Las Colinas then?

Personally I can only hope Justin Rose has adopted the "Jordan Spieth tactics", ie. practising for one single tournament all year. (Don't know which one yet, but hope it's the one this week though...) Whistle

Hoenestly speaking, I however think Kuchar is closing in on another victory.

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Memorial Tournament: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 31 May 2011, 11:42 pm

Cheers pedro, they will.

I really like Mahan for the US Open, not sure how Muirfield Village suits him, only one made cut so far, but he probably needs some tournament play and this is it! Still not convinced whether Kuchar is the real thing or just a nearly man - every chance in Dallas but too much inconsistency.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:39 am

A couple of weeks after parting company with Adam Scott, Tony Navarro has a short-term deal to work with Angel Cabrera, for Memorial and the US Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

Hi kwini, great article as usual. I not only highly regard what Donald has done this year I think he may have shown us that golf in the future will not be about the bomber. It is clear that hitting it 340 or 280 makes little difference if you cannot get up and down and if you can get up and down it places so much pressure on those around you.

It seems obvious but it seems some of the top guys forget about it somehow.

What are your thoughts on Muirfield villages 14th, are there a lack of option from the tee?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

Hi Mac,
Tiger Woods used to dominate the par 5's, not just because he could hit it a mile, but also hit it high so that the ball landed softly. Plus he had the world's best short game.
Interesting that the only two players who are ahead of Luke Donald in birdie (or better) average on par 5's on the PGA Tour are Bubba and Phil, both of whom come close to Tiger's one-time m.o.
I think that's exactly my issue with Westwood and Foster on par 5's. Take 17 last weekend; both times he pushed his second shot wide right where he had far less chance of getting up and down than Luke would from 125 yards. So Lukey can spray it off the tee, lay up to wedge distance, and still have a better shot at birdie than Lee could from where he pushed his shot to the green.
You don't want to lose the advantage of Westwood's length, but you DO want to ensure that his miss is still a decent shot - I don't think he and Foster are in tune with that.

Muirfield Village's 14th is a fine short hole. There is the gambler's option of driver from the tee to cross the creek, or the precision player's option to hit 5-iron to 125 yards and then wedge it in. All Nicklaus's best holes at MV provide more than one option and that is a great example.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

Kwin - Great write up, a pleasure to read. I have a hunch about Charlie Wi this week. Coming into some form of late. Also a hunch on young Fowler. He's hardly at a turning point in his career, but a victory would help cement him as a true young gun.

For those not following some of the stateside sports news, this will be a welcome event for Ohio. OSU football coach Jim Tressel resigned in some shame and it looks like the LeBron James, formerly the chosen one for the buckeye state, will get his ring down in Miami.

Interesting that 3 of the last 4 winners of this event went on to win the AT&T National tournament, which will be held at Aronimink later this month. I'll be watching closely.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

Hi Sr, Thanks.
Jim Tressel should be fired just for wearing those extremely silly clothes. Nicklaus a tad out of line on this subject methinks. On the other hand, Mike just graduated from South Carolina where Spurrier has given Stephen Garcia his fifth second chance. NCAA sport might be great entertainment, but the rules, and their enforcement, are a joke.

So: Muirfield Village: You've played there I think?
Is it as fabulous as it looks to be from behind the ropes??
What do you think of McLaren's question about the 14th and my response??? (I've seen Ryder Cuppers pull their iron tee-shots into the creek down the lefthand side of the fairway!)

Still monsooning here . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

Kwin - Did play there but years ago and agree with you on 14. The shortish par 4 is one of the most exciting holes in golf. Causes otherwise rational men to entertain silly thoughts. Kind of like a mistress.

MV has to be Jack's jewel. That and Sebonack (designed along with Doak), which I haven't played. Not overwhelmed with Jack's body of design work, but I won't deny his business acumen build his brand.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

Sr,
Wouldn't know about the mistress part!!

Two more notes:
1). 580 weeks.
No, not the length of time elapsed since my last eagle, but Padraig Harrington's tenure in the owgr top fifty. But, barring an act of god, it's going to end this week - a big deal as he makes the turn to the back nine of a distinguished career.

2). $20K. Actually $19,831.00 to be precise.
The amount of prizemoney needed for Chezza Reavie to exit his Major Medical Exemption with full playing privilieges at the final event of his exemption. A top 40 finish at Memorial (he got in as first alternate when Brian Gay withdrew) should do the trick for Reavie to emulate Nick O'Hern who achieved that particular objective earlier this year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

Who's looking good for this week Kwini any runners and riders we should look out for specifically, I like the look of Charlie Wi to, playing very solidly even if the sky guys are over using his swing sequence to show the advantages/disadvantages of stack and tilt, also seems a very nice guy. Also fancy Mahan for a good week this week in the run up the the US Open

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

Even if it is his 4th consequetive week, I can't see past Luke for this.

Victor Chandler only offering 9/1 on him though that's a little better than I expected.

Charlie Wi is 100/1 btw

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

Charlie Wi 100/1 Outside punt on that one methinks

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

Thatr's Shotrock and Maverick for a little each way tickle on Charlie Wi then? 100/1 sounds a good shout to me.

After three weeks where I thought I knew what I was doing, my Byron Nelson hunches were amf wide of the mark, just about all missing the cut.

BUT: I like Bo Van Pelt for a place this week!
Seriously, haven't even done my yahoo fantasy team as don't really have a clue. Phil has played well there (when he's played) recently and the course should suit McIlroy (10th last year) and Laird. And no reason not to like Stricker.
Luke? Not my fancy here, but I've been wrong before. Like last week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

Good stuff, kwini. Glad you finally mentioned Rory. Does anybody know where his game is headed this year? Something seems a-kilter.

Speaking of your Point #10, recently read quotes from Lee Trevino. Here are 2, one about caddies the other not:

1. "Caddies are a breed of their own. If you shoot 66, they say, "Man, we shot 66!" But go out and shoot 77, and they say "Hell, he shot 77!"

2. "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen."

Nice comeback by Murray in the first set. Canucks in 5? Skanks loving the West Coast so far.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Hey Kwini, Is Dufner injured? It seems odd that he would miss this one given that a decent finish could see him into US Open and Open Championship spots.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

Rorys game is definately akilter. Don't think he has a Win in him this year, his puttings showing no signs of improving even though he is now working with Stockton. He just doesn't seem that interested to me, he needs to show more hunger, maturity and humility, I know he's young but in sport you don't get by playing and acting like a boy.

Im not a Rory fan at all but as a brit I do hope he has some success and soon as I fear for him fading away.

As for Padraig game still severly in decline and showing no signs of looking up despite some early promise, with his accrued points is it possible for him to be outside T100 OGWR by end of the year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

Jason Dufner: He's played five of the last six weeks and next week is almost a home game for him. Assume he's banking on making it thru US Open qualifying and playing well in Memphis. No known injury.

Rory: He and Jack Nicklaus seem to have forged a nice bond, almost a mentor / protege relationship. Hoping for some inspiration and Rory taking advantage of a course that must suit him.

Cheers venice,
Yup, good stuff from Murray. And even better from Les Yanks: 12.35 p.m. start today. 'Course, Trevino would never have included Herman Mitchell in that characterisation . . . . !

Just checking up on likely lads for this week: Don't overlook Ryan Moore, three top tens in his past four visits and his only missed cut this year is a withdrawal in his first event. Way overdue for a second win.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

I would be surprised if Rory didn't win again this year. Let's not forget what he did at Augusta. Although he made a mess of day 4, days 1 - 3 were pretty spectacular. And what he did last year at Quail Hollow was also something to watch. He'll be a world #1 and multi-major winner before it's all said and done IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Really don't see Rory as a World No1 or multiple major winner just don't think he has the game with the flatstick or current interest

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Jason Dufner: He's played five of the last six weeks and next week is almost a home game for him. Assume he's banking on making it thru US Open qualifying and playing well in Memphis. No known injury.

Is the qualifying in Memphis?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

Rr,
There will be qualifying sites at various points around the US but the biggest will be in the Columbus, Ohio are for those playing the Memorial. Haven't checked exact numbers but there are usually about ten locations with varying sized fields which dictates how many qualifiers come from each venue.
Don't even know exactly who's signed up where.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:47 pm

Maverick wrote:Really don't see Rory as a World No1 or multiple major winner just don't think he has the game with the flatstick or current interest
I'm worried that he's turning into a bit of a Garcia. A couple of years ago he was just a streaky putter, as Sergio was in his early years. The final round at Quail Hollow was an exhibition of what he could do when the stroke was working. But the Augusta back 9 was veering uncomfortably close to the yips, and I haven't seen any signs of improvement yet. Would also be surprised if he won again this year, for all he said about moving on from Augusta I'm not sure he has.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:05 pm

Weather update for the Memorial weekend:
Fair and warm, posibility of storms but not likely, light winds rather than last year's gale force stuff. All in all: Perfect conditions!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:45 pm

Great to see you on v2 Kwini. Super article as always.
Why have you lost the "aska" in your name??!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Hi John, You too! Thanks.
Kwiniaska is the name of a golfcourse but everyone on here calls me kwini so the aska seemed redundant!

An almost certain farewell from the top 50 for young Padraig this week?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

Kwini

As to the 14th I am just not sure there is enough interest for the player who takes the option of long iron from the tee. The balance between the length of the hole, how penal going for the driver could be and the challenge for using a long iron are not quite right. Another example, although a little different, is the 18th at Bethpage black. Remember the players hitting mid iron then another mid iron at the 2009 open.

Anyway they are just a few reservations I have about the quality of the hole and hopefully watching the play will remind me of how the hole actually plays.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

Kwini,
It looks like a mathematical certainty for Padraig all right. Im very dubious about all his injury problems and whether they are real or imagianed........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

'Morning Mac,
I think the secret to the hole is the green, and how small the target area is wherever they place the pin; and if you miss the green, woebetide you, a very likely bogey. Hopefully TV will do it justice.

John C,
Luke Donald has been calling Padraig's 2007/2008 successes an inspiration to him in his quest to become a top golfer:
"I think when you're around people that you're pretty familiar with, and see that they're accomplishing great things, it sets a little bit of fire in your belly that if they can do it so can I. I think we've got to thank his successes a little bit for this great run for European Golf."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

The early starters in Ohio will be on the range by now, first tee times starting at 7.20 a.m. EDT, 12.20 p.m. in Limerick.
Conditions should be fabulous: sunny, with a light breeze, and temps rising to the high 70's. Same recipe for Friday, if a touch warmer,but Saturday will get HOT, with the chance of showers both weekend days.
The Mid-West has endured a wet spring but it's been dry for a few days now and you'd think that, if the course is not in optimum condition right now, it never will be.
The apparently much fancied Charlie Wi among the first six players teeing off.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Cheers for the update Kwini had a sneaky punt e/w on Charlie Wi as well as Stricker and went for Mahan too if his chipping holds out reckon he has a chance.

Good time to see how everyones games are shaping up coming into the US open

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

Definition of "gobbledigook".
Fred Couples talking yesterday about the qualification process for his Presidents Cup Team: (as quoted on pgatour.com):
"Once you get to this point, the team will change some, but barring crazy things, a couple guys will push off and then a couple of guys will push on, and then it just works its way, even though we're only into early June, it'll work its way into itself."

And you think these guys get an education when they play College Golf? Perhaps the worst thing is that journalists just accept this drivel, just write it down verbatim and pass it on.

Just for the record, I think he means the core of his team is pretty well set, but there will be some changes that he can't predict. Exciting stuff.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

Don't you just love it? No one is more laid back than Fred Couples. I'm guessing he doesn't have a blood pressure problem!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:38 pm

Sr,
Yes, I DO love it! But sometimes I wonder if he knows what he's talking about, let alone anyone else!!
Freddie's blood pressure might flicker a touch when someonenotcalledJoeLaCava is not on his bag . . . .

I really like Steve Burkowski doing the continuity on the Golf Channel; he sounds just like Patrick McEnroe, surely one of the top three commentators anywhere, any sport.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

Halfway through the afternoon wave at the Memorial and Hal Sutton's favourite Ryder Cupper, Chris Riley, has a one shot lead after a 6 under par 66.
Number One, Luke Donald, is well placed on -2, a good recovery from an indifferent first nine holes which included getting up and down in FOUR from a greenside bunker. Home in 32.

Nothing especially remarkable halfway through the afternoon with Brian Davis and Rory both off to a promising two underpar start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

It appears the Big Jack karma is rubbing off onto Rory. kwini, I didn't pay much attention to the recent bruhaha between Roary and O'Hair. What the heck really happened and what are the ramifications? SOH doesn't seem to be playing well for a while now.

If DiMarco and Mediate were horses, they'd have been off to the glue factory a while ago. Instead, they're right at the top today.

Ole for the Canucks. Great finish last night. Lost in all the hoopla and good for hockey is that Winnipeg is likely to be granted the Atlanta franchise. Super and I hope they rename them Jets again. Love the ol' WHA teams. Exciting hockey.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

Rory starting to look very good - just think this course suits him very well, generous landing areas and no tricks around the greens. Potentially the best round of the afternoon.

Still trying to figure out why Lord Luiten got dq'd.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm

Snap venice, How ya doin'?!

As I understand it there was an incident in LA, probably caused by you?, where Sabbatini berated a volunteer and Roary and O'Hair exchanged expletive-laden pleasantries. Then there was an incident in New Orleans where among other things O'Hair told Sabbatini playing with him was an automatic two-shot penalty. More mutual affection ensued and Sean's caddie also got embroiled.

It appears O'Hair received a one event penalty, a very late withdrawal at Quail Hollow where he is a past winner getting the rumours flying. Seems Sabbatini appealed which meant that he was able to play The Players and his hometown DFW events, and then withdrew from Memorial. Widely thought he'll miss Memphis which he seldom plays, play the US Open which is under different jurisdiction, then miss Hartford and AT&T, both of which he also seldom plays.

Ugh! Fell asleep last night before the goal! Still to see a replay. But the Skanks are playing well and the Angels, if not exactly flying, at least landed safely!!

You wish the Indianapolis Racers would make a return. But I DID see Gordie Howe and Mark and Marty play together for the Whalers!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

Catastrophic finish by Brian Davis: bogey, triple bogey plunges him to +1. He could really use a good tournament - only success recently is his Open qualie.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

I see Kevin Stadler is out with DJ and Freddie, what happened to Watney? I missed the early coverage, I'm assuming he WD for some reason allowing Kevin Stadler to get in as a reserve.

Good round by Rory, bt not countin my chickems still think there's a long way to go for him. Yet another solid start by Stricker, one of my picks and Mahan too so happy with that, not sure where Charlie Wi is though guess 100/1 was a bet to far.

Seems Ernie striking solidly as usual but another struggle with the flatstick, also Fowler showing this course is again to his liking at -4

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:18 pm

Mav,
Watney withdrew due to an undisclosed illness before kick-off.
I think Wi finished +1, lots of good golf, great tournament set-up, would be surprised if the winning score got especially low, perhaps -12. Good conditions forecast Friday but could be hot and miserable by Saturday, with the potential for the course to firm up, speed up.
(Sounds like Saltman's not exactly peppered with goodwill.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Sounds like a bogus dq for Lord Luiten:
Disqualified for signing for an incorrect score after an incident on the 11th where the ball moved. "Luiten was unaware he had addressed the ball since he had not grounded his club. In a lateral water hazard, though, the player is considered to have addressed the ball after taking a stance."

One stroke gone then because the ball moved. One more stroke because he didn't replace it and therefore played it from the wrong spot. So he signed for a 76 when it should have been a 78. Sounds like he was shopped after the event by playing partners Gates and/or Stanley. Just doesn't sound quite right to me.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:00 am

Luiten being shopped after the round by a playing partner just isn't cricket. ALways think in any life scenario you need to be man enough to confront a situation as it arrises simply Gates or Stanley could have said to Lord Luiten are "sorry Jooost are you aware that you've incured a penalty there for whatever reason" Luiten could have doubled checked with Rules official and sorted there and then on course. Likely Luiten would have respected them for their input and thus prevented a dodgy DQ and making them look like the school snitch for doing it afterwards.

Good finish by DJ some early bizarre mistakes but 4 straight bidies will help iron out any issues. Good to see freddie back in action if he was any more laid back he'd be horizontal.

(Saltman is certainly not finding it easy to make friends on tour and rightly so, must feel a like a very lonely place out there for him, and if he retains card it will still be a long time (if ever) before he earns other players respect. Think he would have had it already if he'd just admitted his "mistake" at least he'd have integrity then and people could praise him for honesty and start building bridges. As it is he is viewed now as a liar and a cheat)

Last edited by Maverick on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention fatty Saltman)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:22 am

The Luiten affair might be totally innocent but it is eeerily reminiscent of a couple of Marco Dawson incidents where he waited until cards had been signed before raising the spectre of penalties that should have been called.

One involved Chamblee, the other Uresti, and the opinion surrounding both was that addressing any misdemeanour after cards had been signed, and not at the time of any alleged transgression (or at least at the scorers' table) was wilful. Quite a fuss at the time.

Oh well.

Weather at Muirfield Village should be gorgeous again today, a touch warmer but otherwise perfect scoring conditions. BUT: Hot on Saturday with the threat of afternoon storms, hopefully clearing out for fair weather on Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

Nationwide action in Maryland:
Greg Owen is tied for 2nd on 65, six under par, one shot off Chris Baryla's lead. Not so good for Matt Richardson and Russell Knox who both had rollercoaster 73's while steady-Eddie Gary Christian was just inside the likely cut line with a 70.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Catastrophic finish by Brian Davis: bogey, triple bogey plunges him to +1. He could really use a good tournament - only success recently is his Open qualie.

A bogey, double finish (at 8 and 9) for Ed Molinari too, story of his season so far. Still missing too many greens and fairways.

That sounds like poor sportsman ship re: Luiten, it wouldn't have taken long for his playing partner to point out and/or request a ruling. There should be a penalty for witnessing and not calling for an immediate ruling in incidents like these.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:25 pm

Yup, there were some really poor finishes over the last hour or so of play, Ernie and Vijay among them also.

Rr, I really don't know anything about Luiten or anything about the incident other than media reports. But this doesn't pass the smell test and one wonders whether it's just naivete by Team Luiten or a circumstance that would have played out somewhat differently had the player in question been better known to the others in the group.

Continued terrible form from Furyk as he kicks off with a double, but WOOF!, bogey for Rory.

Likely cut at +2.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

Morning kwini,
Rory playing hopscotch so far. At least he's redeemed each of his 3 bogeys followed by a birdie rather than the other way around. Call it a moral victory.

Badds, Pampling and Allenby making GJ proud for the time being. Wonder if GJ knows about the transfer to this site.

Watching Roland Garros on a streaming Al Arabiya broadcast. Don't understand a word of the announcing except when Murray, Nadal, volley, or outside is spoken. I actually wish I understood some Arabic as the announcers' voices are quite animated but keep quiet at the appropriate times. When Andy broke Rafa a few games ago, you'd have thought the upset of the decade had occurred.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Hi venice,
Rory could do with some birdies on the back nine without the bogey reciprocals.

Karlsson going nicely at four under for the day, and Eddie Molinari not far behind. Some big names sputtering to the cut-line and below, Ernie and Vijay among them while the new on DLIII is mixed:
Good: Three birds on his first nine.
Bad: He's five over for the day (which, it could be added) is two shots better than Caveman Glover.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

Hi Kwini. I think one of the Marco Dawson incidents was with Esteban Toledo. Caused quite a stir at the time.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next