The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too tired to train

+3
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
lfc91
7 posters

Go down

Too tired to train Empty Too tired to train

Post by lfc91 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 9:33 am

Most of you out there will work full time jobs, so will know what I mean when I say that some days you just feel so drained that the thought of working out repulses you! Now, on these days I will usually still force out a session (usually not a very good one), but after it I will usually feel as if I may aswell not have bothered.

Question is, what do people do to get past this. Coffee, energy drinks etc? Any other new products on the market to give you that boost of energy to have an effective workout? All tips welcome.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Too tired to train Empty Re: Too tired to train

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Aug 2015, 9:38 am

I'm going through this now mate. Reckon mine is linked to a combination of overtraining and not sleeping enough. Don't take coffee or drink energy drinks, so I can't help there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 9:53 am

Not enough sleep is definatley a contributing factor for me. On a work night if i get 7 hours im doing very well, with 6 being the norm.. Definatley not doing ourselves any favours.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 11:32 am

Never been a problem training when I'm tired...The only problem has been getting myself in the car to go to the gym....However I know deep down I'll feel guilty If I don't go.....

So I go..

Depends how much you want to look good I suppose and what you're made of..

Anyone can train when they are up for it.....The trick is doing it when you're not...

Sergio Olivia used to work double shifts and then head to the gym..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 11:45 am

Yeah this maybe ties in well with your thread about the mind being the most important part of a workout. Sometimes I can psych myself up to perform a good workout when tired, other times I can't.

One fix I have considered is getting a training partner. Always push myself more when training with a friend. However this has also comes with the work problem e.g. organising sessions around different work schedules and commitments.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Aug 2015, 12:49 pm

Have you tried training first thing in the morning before you go to work?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

If he can't be bothered to go to bed on time..

He isn't going to be motivated to hit the gym at 6am..

Rest..Train hard...Eat good....Three laughingly easy steps to looking good...Yet in practice hard to follow. .

All about lifestyle and good habits..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Aug 2015, 1:57 pm

LFC, can you tell us more about your working hours, time available to you outside work etc?

How about a power nap after getting home, then on to the gym? I'm sure there are many potential solutions to your problem.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Aug 2015, 2:33 pm

Multivitamins are also an option if youre feeling run down. Could just be gym depleting your energy and mineral stores.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm

Well I'm on flexi time, however for the purposes of this discussion I will stick to my core hours (which I am usually pretty close to anyway) of 8-4.30.

The time available outside is a little trickier to pinpoint. What with various family committments etc. However, an hour of space between 7-8 is usually when i find the time (make the time).

Believe it or not Truss I have tried the morning work out. The upside being a relatively empty gym, the downside being it is hard to get going full throttle first thing in the morning (for me anyways).

RAF I take multi-vitamins. I'd dare say more than my body is able to absorb. However better to take to much than not enough I like to think.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 2:59 pm

Also Truss, I often find it difficult to get to sleep at nights (which considering how physically tired I usually feel by the end of the night is quite infuriating!). Currently due to a combination of being unable to turn my brain off at nights and having a GF who is a newly qualified teacher (and therefore unemployed) who likes to either chat to me late into the night or watch TV (both things that keep me awake sadly....).

The point being that if I was able to sleep as soon as I wanted to each night I would be getting my 8 hours!!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

Have you considered telling the GF to zip it and turn off the telly?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

Mate you're other article about uneven lifting was on the negative side.....

If you can't motivate yourself no one else can do it for you......

I followed my elder brother to the boxing gym and then to the weight gym.......He gave it up and I stayed training for nearly thirty odd years and counting..........

Saw a picture of Frank Zane who was a great bodybuilder with an attainable physique early and I put the idea in my head that every tough workout is a step closer to having a body like his...

Granted I work in an office so It's not like I'm hurting on a building site all day..............

Try to picture how you want to look.... and then how good you'll feel when you attain it......Also remember people who feel just like you drag there backside there..

Arnold always said picture bodybuilding as a staircase and each workout as a step closer to the top.....

You seem to be psyching yourself out............Psyche yourself in....

All about habits...Get into the right ones..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Aug 2015, 3:51 pm

To be honest, one of the things that's always stuck to me regarding multivitamins, was a urology lecturer telling me all I'm doing is creating expensive urine. Never really touched them since, but can never discount the placebo effect. A bit left field, but there is also the possibility if you having mono. I had it when I was 16ish, and it absolutely drained me. I was fine a few weeks later, but I was younger, and living 1700m above sea level, my red blood cells are probably better equipped to fight it than yours. Not saying that's what's happening, but if you can, it won't hurt to make sure this isn't the case.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 3:56 pm

Shouldn't really need stuff at 16.............Though I started on the juice at that age like a d**khead....

Still my Wife say's when I met her at 17 one of the attractions was my physique so I can't have it both ways......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 25 Aug 2015, 8:26 pm

It was intended to be negative Truss, if you've ever struggled with form you will know how frustrating it can be!

Tried that a few times, works short term but I pay for it down the line with a tedious argument!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 26 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

I'm addicted to training. I find it hard not to go and train

I'm always chasing PBS. It's a drug to me. I'm obsessed!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 27 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

AdamT wrote:I'm addicted to training. I find it hard not to go and train

Great attitude to have. Must certainly help with your work outs. Some days I will feel similar to that and it's great, others it is the complete opposite.

I remember watching a documentary on Arnie and he described the feeling he gets with every rep as being right up there with the feeling he gets at the end of sex. No wonder the big man was a monster in his prime!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm

Drink plenty of water.

Im guilty of drinking enough...but on the days I do...I generally feel more alert and positive. Just freshens me up.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:00 pm

lfc91 wrote:
AdamT wrote:I'm addicted to training. I find it hard not to go and train

Great attitude to have. Must certainly help with your work outs. Some days I will feel similar to that and it's great, others it is the complete opposite.

I remember watching a documentary on Arnie and he described the feeling he gets with every rep as being right up there with the feeling he gets at the end of sex. No wonder the big man was a monster in his prime!

The pump. "I'm coming in the gym. I'm coming at home. I'm coming backstage. Can you imagine how in heaven I must be?"
To be fair... the pump is pretty good when you've done it right
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm

It's a mental thing. I hate having a training partner.

I am no one special but I am very self driven in the gym. My one weakness is I do too much training. In powerlifting sometimes less is more.

I have a coach now that has me training smarter now. When you are over 30, train smarter not harder.

If you are struggling for motivation, perhaps you are pushing too hard every session. Only complete beginners can train couple of hours a day and keep improving

If your job is to build a bit of muscle, get a good split, (don't copy pro bodybuilders if natural,you will over train)train 3-4 days a week and no longer than an hour. 45 mins if training alone. If you aren't f....g about and taking long breaks between sets, there is no need to ever go over 45 mins. Honest I have had great sessions lasting no more than 30mins.

Sleep 8 hours a night and try and drink a gallon or 2 of water every day.

Get a good multivitamin as mentioned already. Don't waste too much money on sh1t supplements. You can only build so much muscle naturally and if it's legal, it's likely to do f..k all.

One last thing. If you have been training for a period of time and feel unmotivated, take a week to ten days off. Your body will thank you and you will be itching to get back.

Training is a mental thing. Get your head right and you can achieve a lot.

Good luck!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:05 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

Two things I am definatley not guilty of is drinking to little water or time wasting between sets! Drink well over 2 litres a day in work alone (3 x 750ml bottles at least) then maybe similar at home. Between sets will usually be a break of 30-60 seconds.

Genuinely might take a week break from lifting sounds like it could be a decent enough idea in terms of regaining motivation.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Aug 2015, 10:20 am

Maybe you should take a break for good....

Or buy some weights and train from home......I used to put two tables together and do dips.....

I had a set of weights years ago and did Curls, upright rows, french presses, Power cleans and close grip presses at home when time was short (Moving into a new house with a little one, job demands etc)..Just used to head to the gym for legs at the weekend...

Most people don't have to train to be happy............It's not for everybody......

Maybe look for something you're more suited to.........You don't seem to be "Into" it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Fri 28 Aug 2015, 4:30 pm

Have enough weights/equipment at home to do pretty good training sessions there if I so wish.

Thing is Truss, if I wanted to quit for good I would just quit. If I wasn't 'into it' I wouldn't frequent a weightlifting forum looking for advice on how to train better, train harder, train more effectively etc. Can't understand how a person could misinterpret the situation so badly?

As much as I value a variety of opinions, in this instance I will be choosing to disregard yours completely. Mainly due to the fact that everything you have 'contributed' to this thread, could have been condensed into the sentence "either try harder or give up".

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm

Truss is old skool. I think he is really Dorian Yates.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Aug 2015, 8:18 pm

The answers you're looking for...like on your poor form thread...You already have... without needing posters to tell you what some may feel is obvious.

Train or don't........But please be more positive...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm

Yes I have many of the answers now, because I chose to discuss the issue on a forum along with several other methods of inquiry in order to gain those answers.

As always Truss some excellent input on your part...

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 02 Oct 2015, 11:51 am

Have you tried taking BCAA's to aid muscle recovery? Maybe something like a fat burner would stimulate energy, if it's caffeine based of course.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down