The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro

+12
Henman Bill
YvonneT
summerblues
Guest82
HM Murdock
slashermcguirk
temporary21
Born Slippy
laverfan
LuvSports!
kingraf
bogbrush
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro Empty US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:07 am

I will try my best to match the standard set by JHM notworthy

We have Djokovic, Nishikori, Nadal and some guy called Cillic all in action today.

In the words of Delia: "Let's be avin you!"

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro Empty Re: US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:35 am

A very good start!  clap

Cilic; he'll never do anything.

Nishikori putting some icing on Novaks cupcake.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro Empty Re: US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro

Post by kingraf Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:55 am

Much like the Apollo theatre, I suspect that at some point you're going to be pulled from stage... But good start
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:29 am

Watson hopeless here, I truly hate the moonballing so good for Davis.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:30 am

Well Watson going the way of Boggo at Wimbledon.

Davis the much more positive player. Shows if you go for your shots, the rewards can be high.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 am

Tragedy on Ashe. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:39 am

Got to love Fognini!

US Open Day 1 - I'm Your Venus, I'm Your Dolgo, Your Navarro 7IVZEXCh_reasonably_small
2h2 hours ago
Fabio Fognini ‏[ltr]@fabiofogna[/ltr]
[ltr]I THINK... Us Open transportation and players practice court is almost the WORST of the year !!!![/ltr]

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 am

Nishi had a mp....
Into a fifth we go.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:05 am

How can Sky put Venus on ahead of the rest of the other matches?!?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:28 am

I take it Djokovics odds just got even shorter!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:43 am

Is there anyone left in his half? A seeded semi final meeting with........ David Ferrer!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:02 am

Laugh

Well is there anyone who can mount a serious challenge???

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:28 am

Very strange to see Paire take out Nishikori.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:34 am

@BB...Nishikori's quarter was loaded with Frenchmen. Tsonga, Monfils, Paire. Cilic (defending champion) is also in the same quarter, a very surprising fact (will have to research similar instances from the past).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 am

If Ferrer is fit, he will make the SF. However, I doubt he is, so I reckon it will be one of Cilic, Monfils or Dimitrov. All could cause Novak slightly more problems than Ferrer but realistically he is cruising to the final. Really hoping Rafa suddenly finds form to give Novak some challenge.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 am

Nishi Sad
That pains me slightly

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:52 am

laverfan wrote:@BB...Nishikori's quarter was loaded with Frenchmen. Tsonga, Monfils, Paire. Cilic (defending champion) is also in the same quarter, a very surprising fact (will have to research similar instances from the past).

French Open 2015...

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am

This looks a thumping

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:57 am

Gotta be honest, didn't know much about paire until a few weeks ago but watched him play djokovic in Montreal or Cincinnati and he was very impressive. Really good shotmaker and crushes his backhand.

You would have expected nishikori to beat him but paire was definitely a tricky first round opponent. Get the feeling he is quite streaky but when he is on song, he is dangerous.

Not watching the djokovic match but clearly he must be playing some decent stuff

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:02 am

Nice symmetry from Novak. Wins 1,1,1 in 1:11!

Decent performance but the scoreline is more a reflection on Souza than Djokovic. The Brazilian was very poor.

Novak looks to have his serve rhythm back after losing it in Cincy though.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:18 am

Paire was in the 20's rankings a few years back, dropped outside the top 100 earlier this year. Back up to 40 odd now.

Always think he should achieve more than he does. I enjoy watching him and actually backed him to beat Nishikori today, don't think Nishi is 100% fit.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 am

Djokovic serving at 75%. If he continues doing that, he'll win it.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 am

This Wiliams / Diatchenko "match" is an utter farce, an insult to everyone in the stadium. The girl is crap, complete rubbish, she's possibly injured but neither playing or retiring, it's pathetic.

Ah she's retired. Thank God it's over.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Oh Nishi, what a shame. Who will beat Nole now? Goffin or Dimitrov? Very likely.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Straightforward first set to Rafa.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Smooth sailing so far for Rafa. An early break to love in the second set.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 pm

6:2 second set. Coric's game looks very lightweight compared to Rafa's.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Players who won the most ranking points in the first three slams this year:

1. Nole - 5200
2. Wawrinka - 3080
3. Murray - 2640
4. Federer - 1650
5. Berdych - 1080
6. Gasquet - 990
7. Tsonga - 810
8T. Nishikori - 765
8T. Nadal - 765

Players 2-6 are all in the bottom half. Nishi is gone. Nole could not have asked for a much better draw.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Unbelievably, Rafa drops the third set. And it was nothing with what Coric did. Rafa had two bad DFs in the last game of the set and another unforced error.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Rafa wins in four sets. Should have been three, Coric was never threatening. Rafa played to his 2015 standard - neither horrible nor great.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:10 pm

If that's where Rafa is - and surely it can only be so - then Djokovic is in the final already, with some gentle warm-ups to run himself into the tournament. Fair play to him, the draw is extremely easy but his standard would see him hot favourite no matter who was in his way.

For the sake of a competitive final everyone except Murray or Federer needs to fall away and let him reach the final similarly conditioned. I'm dreading Federer beating Murray in 5 gruelling sets and facing Djokovic - that could be seriously brutal!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Looking the race, with Nishikori's loss it looks like Nadal should be in 5th or 6th position after the US Open. I suppose he might slip back slightly in the last part of the season where he had traditionally not done well, but certainly under no real threat from those below him for his place at the WTF. Quite strange really when it seems like such a poor year for him.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 pm

I've said for ages that it will take some kind of total implosion for one of the top guys to miss out on the WTF. If Federer wanted to play to 38 I think he'll be qualifying.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

A poor day yesterday for the youngsters. Pouille and Ymer in particularly losing comfortably to journeymen.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Wouldn't say Schwartzman is a journeyman at 22/23.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 pm

I thought Coric, for 18, looked very promising player. He was hitting very nicely from the baseline with some good, angles, power and depth. Not many errors. Potentially due a breakout run . e.g. to maybe a slam QF next year.

I thought Rafa played well. I've seen worse this year, for sure. At times he out-powered Coric, even hitting from well behind the baseline cross court on the backhand, he has some serious power. His backhand I vaguely recall used to be weaker than that. Perhaps like Federer improved his backhand over the years while his forehand not quite the shot it used to be.

I think Schwartzman will be easy although some trickier ties coming up after.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm

Hard to call a 23 year old yet to break into the top 50 anything else (relatively speaking in a slam of course). He's a decent player but I would be surprised if he ever makes top 20.

Just noted that LK had a 66% strike rate (Navarro and Dolgo both going out) and Venus narrowly scraping through.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 am

He's 5'7. Not easy in these conditions and at that height.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:25 am

bogbrush wrote:If that's where Rafa is - and surely it can only be so - then Djokovic is in the final already, with some gentle warm-ups to run himself into the tournament. Fair play to him, the draw is extremely easy but his standard would see him hot favourite no matter who was in his way.

For the sake of a competitive final everyone except Murray or Federer needs to fall away and let him reach the final similarly conditioned. I'm dreading Federer beating Murray in 5 gruelling sets and facing Djokovic - that could be seriously brutal!
As much as my cautious pessimism makes me want to disagree, it's tough to argue with this as an objective assessment.

Djokovic falling before the final depends on things that might happen rather than things that are likely to happen.

Rafa might snap back into top form. Goffin might string together 3 sets of incredible shot-making. Raonic might serve lights out and snatch 3 sets. All of these things are possible but seem rather against the odds.

Getting to finals is the easy part for Djokovic though. Winning those finals is where he has come unstuck, so while I'm confident I'll see him in the final, I'm less confident I'll see him holding the trophy. I see him as the favourite but not an overwhelming one.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:37 am

The final looks nailed on. Good chance hell make it with plently in the tank too.
Winning will depend on,
Whether Murray gets there but takes a lot of on court time, if so, its almost a done deal
If Fed makes it, but takes a while, hes probably toast, if he gets there easily, he may well still struggle to stand up to 5 sets. If Novak returns well hell probably run him over.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:45 am

Lol at the idea of Goffin or Raonic being credible threats to Djoker. Cilic is the only guy in that half (other than a suddenly in form Rafa) who could do any damage.

Personally, I think this is more or less a done deal. No chance of Fed living with Novak over 5 sets. Similarly, I don't think Andy has the fitness to get through the challenges he is likely to face without being out on his feet after 2 sets against Novak. Stan is the only player who could reach the final AND be a live danger once he gets there.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:58 am

Watching the highlights of Rafas match.
Must say he looks like hes got TWICE he power he did in the warm up events, youd want him and Novak to get through as they look the only reasonably interesting QF

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 am

temporary21 wrote:The final looks nailed on. Good chance hell make it with plently in the tank too.
Winning will depend on,
Whether Murray gets there but takes a lot of on court time, if so, its almost a done deal
If Fed makes it, but takes a while, hes probably toast, if he gets there easily, he may well still struggle to stand up to 5 sets. If Novak returns well hell probably run him over.
Federer has to bring out the half-volley returns, not so much because they're necessarily going to render Djokovic's 2nd serve service (though I think they're pretty good) but because Novak can sometimes be a bit ruffled and I really don't think he liked that tactic.

Yes, Novak has won R1 and Federer is yet to play, and I'm mapping out tactics for the big match. picard
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 am

The half volley returns might help in a TB, but his serve is what he needs to NAIL this open. Doesnt serve well enough in the Final then hes nearly no chance

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:03 am

For sure, but I'm enjoying plotting the devilish use of this "new' shot. I'm intrigued by anything in any field that changes the ground rules, so us fun to imagine this doing something interesting. Hopefully it gets wheeled out tonight.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:38 am

temporary21 wrote:Watching the highlights of Rafas match.
Must say he looks like hes got TWICE he power he did in the warm up events, youd want him and Novak to get through as they look the only reasonably interesting QF

WAY too many short balls though.. Any of the top players would have feasted on those in the 1st couple of sets. Coric plays so far back he couldn't move in aggressively enough. The times that he did, he had Nadal nailed. Nadal trying to return closer to the baseline wasn't all that impressive either. Maybe with more time he'll become more capable at it, but his returning from deep where he could rip it was much better than the soft returns he was able to come up with when his time was taken away by being near baseline. I guess there were some flashes of power, but from what I saw- straight set victory by Novak is what is going to happen.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:49 am

I didn't think he was hitting that many short balls at all, his length was good, his problem was the unforced errors and crap second serve.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm

HB/falzy - if you only watched highlights Nadal probably looked better than in the match proper. He did hit quite a few spectacular shots - certainly enough to fill up highlights with - but overall it was very patchy.

He was again hitting great many short balls, and was overall quite inconsistent. It was very much like the rest of his season so far.

HB, regarding Coric: it depends on what the expectations are. He was playing quite well for his age, but given that he had been quite hyped before, I was expecting more from him. This was the first match I really saw him play and he struck me as very underpowered.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Kyrgios now broken to love himself - he did not look so superior in this game - so Andy just needs to hold serve the rest of the way.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Andy up a couple of breaks; should be plain sailing from here.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next