The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight's action

+25
Coxy001
AdamT
DuransHorse
Marky
kingraf
JabMachineMK2
mobilemaster8
88Chris05
Dipper Brown
rob-glos
milkyboy
Pound-for-Pound
BoxingFan88
Fernando
Rowley
catchweight
ONETWOFOREVER
Scottrf
Adam D
Happytravelling
wheelchair1991
Hammersmith harrier
Hands Of Stone
Derbymanc
Qoxiivi
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Tonight's action - Page 4 Empty Tonight's action

Post by Qoxiivi Sat 12 Sep 2015, 7:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

I see these started whenever there's a big fight on so I thought I'd be the one to start tonight's. Ok, there's no real big, competitive fight on, but hey.

So, tonight we have a few in interested (slightly) in: Groves, Joshua, Whyte and Mayweather.

My take? The guy Groves is fighting seems like the kind he was knocking out before he fought Froch. If he hasn't been broken by those two fights then I expect (and hope) for a stoppage in his favour.

Joshua I expect to win by stoppage within a few rounds, despite the nonsense hype. I was struck by Cornish's trainer saying that they fought similar level opponents, so I looked it up. He's fought, like, only three opponents with winning records. They're both 'untested', but they're records are a mile apart. Don't get me wrong, Cornish is coming to win, but only because he's undefeated and this circus has probably convinced him that this means they're equivalent. They're not. It's a mismatch.

Whyte will win by KO also. Another mismatch; a foregone conclusion, arranged to ensure nothing goes off the rails with regards to his and Joshua's 'rematch'.

Mayweather and Berto? UD. Hoping for a miraculous Berto KO, but Mayweather is a genius. I can't stand the guy, but he's head and shoulders above anyone in his weight division and is a living embodiment of the beautiful science. He will win. Clearly. He is a massive Mr Winklechops though and that really can't be overstated enough, I have to say.

Please post the action as it happens. I'll be following.

Last edited by Qoxiivi on Sat 12 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Tonight's action - Page 4 Empty Re: Tonight's action

Post by Scottrf Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:38 pm

Highest connection percentages of any boxer 'offensively awful'.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:41 pm

Groves isn't finished. He's young and has some good, natural attributes.

For me, Fitzpatrick hasn't improved him.

He needs a better trainer, improve his defence and stamina, and build up some good wins under his belt.

But life is going to be harder than expected for him.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:41 pm

You thought his offense was good last night ? He was awful - must have landed a maximum of 10 clean punches per round.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

Think that sums up your opinion of the man really Rodney, you like a few others become completely irrational.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:44 pm

Rodney I am not sure what to say.

I thought he used good offense. Obviously I must know nothing about boxing.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:48 pm

Entitled to your opinions - but can't see it myself, i thought he was poor - i expect more from a supposed genius. It was a hugfest and spoiling contest. Like i said be lucky if you seen more than 8-10 quality punches per round.

Cheers, rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

I suppose all those other genius' were in cruise control in their late 30's too Rodney or do we overlook their decline because of age but not with Mayweather. 10 punches of quality a round is all you need when your opponent can't land a single one on you and to say the fight was in any way close shows what you know, f^ck all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:53 pm

I forgot you can't criticise Mayweather - if he lands a shot its unbelievable classy- he laboured to a win against a guy whose lost 3 of his last 6. He was cr@p and if you enjoyed that then you need to get out more.

Cheers , Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:54 pm

You're a complete and utter moron if you class that as labouring to a win and can you point out where I or anyone else said they enjoyed. I suppose you can criticise Mayweather as much as you want just don't go criticising anyone from before 1970 or Rodney will have a hissy fit.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 13 Sep 2015, 12:58 pm

I think you need some intimacy with your other half Hammer , all this pent up aggression , have a beer , relax and stop being a d1ck.

I thought he was cr@p and laboured - you didn't - thats life.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

The moment you give a half sensible opinion on anything I won't have to call you out on your complete and utter BS will I, it's the same thing after every single fight; he was crap and it was close, do you even watch the fights or just have that on repeat ready.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 13 Sep 2015, 1:05 pm

Unfortunately I watched it - another painstaking 36 minutes - with 25 minutes of hugging.

Cheers , Rodders (have a lovely afternoon, you cheerful chap)
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 1:06 pm

Funny how Floyd is cr@p but wins every fight.

I guess Manny,Canelo etc are sh1t as well.

You are entitled to your opinion. Just a bit surprised by it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

Not sure where you're coming from Rodders. Mayweather just completely outclassed Berto, showed why it was a stupid fight. He hit at will, there was nothing close about it. Berto struggled from start to finish.

I don't like Mayweather, trust me if I could angle this so it made him look bad, I'd be doing my best, but the simple fact is he was by far the better boxer. You could only really give Berto 3 rounds and that's being very kind.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 13 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm

Fist Mayweather fight I haven't watched in several years. I think the guy has some injury concerns and didn't want to test himself so close to the end. Had to finish his TV contract though.

Rodney should be allowed to voice his opinion without getting abuse. Some people on here really are very protective of Mayweather.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 13 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

I think its an all angle to set up a massive financially lucrative 50-0 fight for 2016. They will be throwing money at him to "come out of retirement" for 50-0 and Mayweather like money too much to turn it down.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 2:14 pm

Mayweather was boring in the first half still convinced he carried berto

Second half he turned it up and looked impressive

He easily won

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 13 Sep 2015, 4:48 pm

Best part of this fight was the trash talking between rounds.

Berto gave it his all and deserves credit for continuously coming forward and applying pressure.

Thought Mayweather was poor, i cannot understand why he is given so much credit for such meagre offensive output.

His offence mainly consisted of a few jabs, lots of clinching, sticking his elbow in Berto's face and general spoiling.

Bayliss had to break them up several times in each round - not that he needs any encouragement.

Until the last round Floyd didn't have Berto in any trouble at any point, in fact i cannot recall any solid shots landed by either man until the 12th when Mayweather started to unload.

Seems with some people, all Floyd has to do is show his face and he's credited with a show stopping performance regardless of what he does between the ropes.

Gets far too much kudos for being elusive and making his opponents miss - it's almost as if his defensive skills are categorised as offence.

Whilst he is a defensive master, i don't think he did nowhere near enough offensively to warrant such a wide victory.

117-111 was about right in my opinion.

Hope he has retired, boxing needs to move on.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

....and from someone as objective as you as well...............

Joshua took a few seconds longer than I predicted............Whyte won't last a round either......

The kid is not going to be tested when he fights for the title...........Why waste his young years..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

AJ is calling the shots somewhat I think Truss, he's made it clear on numerous occassions he wants the Commonwealth, British and European titles before stepping up, seems to be following the Lewis blueprint.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:27 pm

Perhaps if he steps up too soon he gets beat.

He is doing the right thing. No point rushing him

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

He needs to make as much money as fast as he can. All it takes in one punch and he becomes a nobody. While hes selling against no hopers there will be no rush to step him up. Got the Whyte grudge match to sell next, then probably some sort of title

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

Rodney wrote:Entitled to your opinions - but can't see it myself, i thought he was poor - i expect more from a supposed genius. It was a hugfest and spoiling contest. Like i said be lucky if you seen more than 8-10 quality punches per round.

Cheers, rodders

I'm afraid the converted are converted when it comes to Mayweather and vice versa...

The only difference between the two is the converts rate what they see......The non-converts don't because they are so bitter he might be as good as the oldies they become irrational...and resort to this crap..

Shame because roddy is better than this.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:46 pm

Until the last round did Mayweather have him in any trouble?

The scorecards suggest Berto got his ar$e handed to him, that wasn't the fight i watched.

Well done Andre, you exceeded most peoples expectations and gave it a go, which is more than what some of Floyd's recent opponents have done

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm

Does he have to have him in trouble ??............Did Leonard have Hagler in trouble ??....Did Ali have Spinks in trouble ??

You don't make sense...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm

I don't get this 'he was in no trouble' argument, that isn't the name of the game and seems some fans aren't happy if there's no spectacular knockout.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 5:53 pm

He is 38 with brittle hands.

I would obviously like to see him attack more, but he gets the job done easy.

I do admit he has got less exciting, but with wear and tear these things happen.

Ryan Giggs was a great footballer at 38, but was obviously more exciting in his youth.

Mayweather is smart and calculated. It's his style.

Might not always be pleasing, but he does his job superbly.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:26 pm

Floyd didn't do enough to suggest that the fight was as wholly one-sided as some are claiming.

No, he doesn't have to have him in trouble but he didn't throw or land enough to consider it a dominant performance.

To dominate a fighter would suggest you'd had to have had him in trouble/hurt at some point in the fight does it not? Otherwise they may as well stand in the centre of the ring and tickle each other until one concedes.

Berto wasn't ever in any trouble, he seemed to be coasting, albeit to a loss.

Mayweather refused to engage for the majority of the rounds and spent more time spoiling and staying out of range then actually being offensive.

If Floyd chose to fight for more than 30 seconds each round he could have made it a thoroughly comprehensive victory, the fact is he chose not to and in my opinion, Berto made it a competitive fight.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:29 pm

It wouldn't suggest anything of the sort actually, Ward dominated Froch but he didn't have him in any trouble nor did he hurt him once.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:36 pm

Not neccesarily a spectacular knockout, just some concerted offence would be nice.

Berto wasn't rocked until the 12th, Mayweather just isn't prepared to commit himself enough to throw with any intent.

Jab to the body, jab to the head, clinch, hold, skip out of range, rinse and repeat.

I am not suggesting all his recent fights have been the same, his performance against Canelo was exceptional, now that was dominance.

What i saw last night was someone who just wanted to do the bare minimum to ensure victory

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:40 pm

Ward also threw a decent amount of leather....Floyd didn't

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm

Floyd is old school. He belongs in the old days with 15 rounds or more.

He conserves that much energy, he could do another 12 rounds easy.

Jack Johnson was a master at this.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

I am at no point saying i've found Mayweather's recent fights exciting but there's a growing trend that you can't dominate a fight boxing conservatively because you can. The word dominate seems to have grown wings and now means smashed up when it simply means Mayweather won easily, doing what he had to do.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

I usually use the term 'close but clear'. Floyd won a close but clear fight against Cotto, he won (as memory serves) 8 rounds clearly. You can win 12 rounds clearly without beating someone to a pulp and that gives you a shut out. Whereas Manny beat the absolute carp out of Cotto.

The problem is that anytime Floyd wins a decision, the hyperbolic natured use the term 'masterclass'. It's a shame really because it undermines the occasions when Floyd has been truly brilliant between the ropes.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

Yeah it wasn't the beat down he put on Hatton or Gatti.

I don't want to see him fight again. No point.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:39 pm

Great post B.A.Barracus

Sums up my feelings - i thought it was a dreadful encounter and won't be manipulated into the Mayweather masterclass club because he threw a few potshots here and there. Its a shame his retiring - he was doing wonders for getting my toddler off to bed.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:41 pm

I called it a night after the Saildo Lopez battle. I was tired and didnt need Mayweather to help me fall aslepp this time.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 9:55 pm

Hope to see a third fight between Martinez and Salido it was fantastic fight of the year contender

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:05 pm

Rodney wrote:Great post B.A.Barracus

Sums up my feelings - i thought it was a dreadful encounter and won't be manipulated into the Mayweather masterclass club because he threw a few potshots here and there. Its a shame his retiring - he was doing wonders for getting my toddler off to bed.

Cheers, Rodders

You're like Alex Ferguson giving an objective opinion on Man City..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 13 Sep 2015, 10:12 pm

City fan??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm

Watched the match room card again last night. Joshua's voice over before the fight was a bit cringe wasn't it?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:40 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Watched the match room card again last night. Joshua's voice over before the fight was a bit cringe wasn't it?

Wlad-esque it was terrible. The video took longer then the fight

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:48 pm

Anyone miss the days where they just walked to the ring and got on with it ??...

Then again I prefer Chuck Hull to Michael Buffer.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:51 pm

Are people really complaining a Mayweather fight was not a white knuckle thrill a minute encounter. That is like buying a Coldplay album and complaining it is a bit bland and middle of the road.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm

Has there been any stories of Tea boys being murdered in Yorkshire...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4