The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duran

+7
ONETWOFOREVER
DuransHorse
Lance
jimdig
catchweight
Hammersmith harrier
AdamT
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Duran Empty Duran

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:41 pm

Been watching more videos of his lightweight career.

He would of beat the sh1t out of Floyd and Manny, as if they stole something. Maybe at Welter Floyd might win. However lightweight? No chance in hell.

Definitely my fav all time fighter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Duran Empty Re: Duran

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm

You're under rating Mayweather and Pacquiao a fair bit there, Duran was a superb Lightweight, the greatest ever at the weight but he was beatable and not the monster you're portraying. Pacquiao would trouble him early on with his footwork and hand speed before getting overwhelmed while nobody is beating the sh1t out of Mayweather at Lightweight, too fast and elusive, the work rate could do for him in a close decision.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:06 pm

Floyd has the best chance, but I think Duran at lightweight was a machine.

Floyd maybe sneak a decision at welter.

Hammer you Know I love Floyd, but that f....er Duran can fight.

I honestly think he beats the snot out of Manny.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:07 pm

Another boxer who peaked over 30 years ago and as trained by a guy who was training fighters since the 30s. Surely he would be lucky to last 5 rounds with modern athletes?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

If you are going to go there, perhaps he would be as good with Modern supplements.

I have mentioned Wlad beats Louis, but would lose if Louis was born 35 years ago.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:19 pm

Catchweight adding nothing but his typical buffoonery.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

Tell you what Hammer, I might came across a bit strong but they are good fights.

Floyd could win, but like the Cotto fight, he needs to up the work rate.

Manny can win rounds but for me, peak Duran can out box and out fight him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Catchweight adding nothing but his typical buffoonery.

Sue me

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:38 pm

Duran v floyd at lightweight is a hard one for me to wrap my head around. When I think of pre-welter floyd I think of classic breakdown and destructions like that of Chico corralles, but you can't think of corralles without thinking of Castillo. The Castillo fight was at lightweight, corralles at super feather. Floyd was a monster at super feather, he only had a handful at lightweight, but those pair of Castillo fights blotch his copybook at lightweight.
If 1970s Duran turned up instead of Castillo 1, then yep you'd have to think Duran would get it.

I'm not an authority though, Durans lightweight career highs were in my mind de Jesus and Buchanan. I'm not enough of a boxing conasuer to know how bucanan and de Jesus rate against corralles and Castillo. I've always had difficulty rating Duran the greatest lightweight of all time due to my own ignorance being a hindrance in  rating his level of opposition at lightweight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm

Floyds hand problems come to play

If Floyd can throw 700 punches Instead of the the usual 4 or 5 hundred, he would stand a chance

However doing that leaves him open for the crafty Duran. I think Duran works the body hard.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:42 pm

A Mayweather thread, which gets regular replies spaced out like bulletins...

Where hav I seen this before??

Yes I know its hidden behind..'I said Flloyd would lose'...

This is far worse than D4. Funny how you remember him too isnt it

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:47 pm

Floyd would lose. Duran is a beast. What you on about?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:51 pm

3 posts in the last 10 minutes that start with...Flloyd!!!

Creepy

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:53 pm

Duran kicks his head in. Is that better?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:54 pm

Mods check this lance guy out. I am sure he is a second account. Has to be.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:56 pm

You hav mentioned Flloyd name 9 times in this thread so far. Let's stop pretending it's a Duran thread

I'll start..

I love Flloyd because he's fast

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:57 pm

You're a weird guy, to even notice that.

Like I said before, Duran wins for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:00 am

Goodnight AdamTr. Enjoy yourself later

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 20 Sep 2015, 7:51 am

Would Duran win? Yes. I would say he'd be favourite. Beat the snot? No. I rate Floyd as a fighter that would likely never get pinned down enough to take a beating or get conclusively taken apart. He's good enough to nick points here and there and at worst loses a respectable decision. Manny might get knocked out but in a decent contest up to that point. Can't see him knocking Duran out at lightweight but can see some good rounds of competitive action, Duran respecting the pop in his punch... well, as much as he Duran ever respected anything, and again, Manny not disgraced at all.

Last edited by DuransHorse on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 20 Sep 2015, 9:20 am

Ha ha this whole thread is laughable but I will entertain it for a brief moment.

Duran was a great fighter no doubt but his boxing IQ compared to Floyd is not even close. Recent fans like yourself Adam would not understand why Floyd beats Duran 10 times out of 10 but I will explain it for you.

You see Duran was only effective when his opponant took the fight TO him. Duran was then able to utilize his ability of fighting inside the pocket which he was very good at doing but Floyd is a different animal all together. Floyd will not bring the fight to you but take it from you bit by bit a real master at what he does.

I can see Duran coming forward getting picked off and then repeat. People underestimate how fit Floyd is/was he could easily box for 15 rounds Duran however had many flaws to his game which you can't say about Floyd. As a result I see Duran getting frustrated with always missing the target and getting DQed.

Adam its easy to watch a few fights back on youtube and getting carried away like you have with this thread but you must think about what you post. And remember Floyd went unbeaten 49-0 for a reason. If there are fighters from the past who could beat Floyd then its narrowed down to only a handful and we are talking special, intelligent fighters. You need a game plan for Floyd.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 20 Sep 2015, 10:02 am

Yes Adam, please think before you post. Take a leaf out of ONETWO's book. It's OK as it's an easy book to understand, there's only one page and it's a picture of what ONETWO believes is a space rocket taking off from two semi-fused moons.

Last edited by DuransHorse on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 10:10 am

Wow,wow,WOW!

49-0. Who the f..k has Mayweather fought that compares to Duran? A past his prime Oscar? Past it Shane? A decent Cotto?

He beats Duran 10/10 times. Haha. With his broken hands and low volume?

To take a leaf out of Haz book. He wouldn't even fought Duran.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 20 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Anyone saying 10/10 FACT for either fighter can't really believe it's a foregone conclusion surely?

Adam, must ask though, why are you Floyd bashing given you've always said he's your favourite fighter?

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

Why am I? The truth is, he took too many low risks.

He should of fought Pac in 09-10. But hid behind drug testing. Also I have another major reason why, but can't print it here. Let's just say I think he is a hypocrite

He ain't my fav fighter now. That's a fact.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm

AdamT wrote:Wow,wow,WOW!

49-0. Who the f..k has Mayweather fought that compares to Duran? A past his prime Oscar? Past it Shane? A decent Cotto?

He beats Duran 10/10 times. Haha. With his broken hands and low volume?

To take a leaf out of Haz book. He wouldn't even fought Duran.

ODLH was not passed it at the time mate and when had ODLH ever take a serious beating in the ring??? He was not a washed up fighter when they met.

Even a prime ODLH would have lost to 30 plus Mayweather styles make fights.

As for Mosley Floyd tried to fight him years ago and Mosley declined because he had a tooth ache. Lokk it up mate type Mosley tooth ache and see for yourself. Floyd beat more champions then anyone

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

I know Floyd would beat Oscar and Shane.

The point is both were a bit past it.

Duran fought prime fighters most of his career. Yes he lost some, but all fighters lose, if they continue to test themselves.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

He did beat more champions, but now there are more titles for every division.

It is only my opinion but I pick Duran to win. Especially at lightweight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 20 Sep 2015, 1:17 pm

You're basing a lot of it on what happened at higher weights, at Lightweight and below it's hard to say Mayweather was selective, he fought the best available.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 1:24 pm

Yes Hammer his career was fantastic up to about 07.

He still has very good wins, Cotto,Canelo and Pac past 07.

I just I'm a bit annoyed he didn't fight Pac in 2010. He has no excuse in my opinion.

Don't want to bash him.Just I believe Duran was also a very special fighter. Too much is made of no mas and Hearns. He was tailor made for Hearns. Big Tommy could possibly beat anyone at welter. He gave Leonard the fight of his life.

No matter about the bullsh1t about Srl fighting Duran's fight, that was his fault.

Fact remains Duran still has a win over Ray Leonard and is the only man to beat Ray around his peak

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 20 Sep 2015, 1:55 pm

AdamT wrote:Yes Hammer his career was fantastic up to about 07.

He still has very good wins, Cotto,Canelo and Pac past 07.

I just I'm a bit annoyed he didn't fight Pac in 2010. He has no excuse in my opinion.

Don't want to bash him.Just I believe Duran was also a very special fighter. Too much is made of no mas and Hearns. He was tailor made for Hearns. Big Tommy could possibly beat anyone at welter. He gave Leonard the fight of his life.

No matter about the bullsh1t about  Srl fighting Duran's fight, that was his fault.

Fact remains Duran still has a win over Ray Leonard and is the only man to beat Ray around his peak

You forget Hatton and Marquez.

Marquez may have been the smaller man but Floyd totally outboxed him there was no need for a war ala Pac who never outboxed Marquez and fought him 4 times.

You say Duran was Taylor made for Hearns??? with his record and reputation he was not taylor made for anyone he simply got his backside handed to him.

Floyd was the smaller man for a number of his fights against fighters like Corrales, ODLH, Canelo, Cotto so you can say he was taylor made for them too....but he won.

I get frustrated with Floyd too sometimes and sometimes I want to say he is not as good as he thinks but his career and performances are there for all to see and I have to hold my hands up and say he was a great great boxer. You took the time to look back at Duran's fights so now why don't you take a closer look at Floyd's. Lokk at his skill and fundamentals and you may change yer mind.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 2:09 pm

I know how talented Floyd is. I backed him more than most.

Just don't think he is as good as I was led to believe.

He lost to Castillo and Maidana 1 was awfully close.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 20 Sep 2015, 2:11 pm

This reminds me of when someone reads a book on Langford and instantly puts him at number 3.

Wait a while to form an opinion or it will be too strong.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 20 Sep 2015, 2:15 pm

I have seen Duran fight loads. Just been watching him more closely recently.

Hardly same as Langford. There is video evidence of Duran.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 20 Sep 2015, 3:45 pm

I've just been watching The Solheim cup..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

You're talking about two great fighters, history tells us that when two great fighters meet its damn hard to predict the result.  You can look at the difficulties duran had against quality boxers or you could say that floyd never met anyone with the mix of skill and ferocity duran would bring to the party. You can see how mayweather's pot-shotting counterpunching could frustrate the hell out of duran, just as you can see how duran never giving floyd a moment's peace could unsettle him and wear him down later in the fight. It might come down to a 12 v 15 round factor.

If we're talking lightweight, duran's big problem to solve was de jesus, who was a cracking fighter and mayweather's was castillo.

Duran maybe didn't take the first de jesus fight seriously, it was none-title, but even so it was chastening and clear defeat for him. He avenged the defeat twice in gruelling but ultimately convincing fashion.

Mayweather too, was more successful second time out... and there is the 'injury' caveat for floyd in the first castillo fight... certainly the second was easier without being a cakewalk. Other than those fights neither was ever really troubled at the lower weights.

I think de jesus was a better fighter than castillo, but that's probably irrelevant, they are merely there as examples of both fighters not having things all there own way.

Gun to head i say duran, but without conviction.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:52 am

Good post Milky!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:22 am

milkyboy wrote:You're talking about two great fighters, history tells us that when two great fighters meet its damn hard to predict the result.  You can look at the difficulties duran had against quality boxers or you could say that floyd never met anyone with the mix of skill and ferocity duran would bring to the party. You can see how mayweather's pot-shotting counterpunching could frustrate the hell out of duran, just as you can see how duran never giving floyd a moment's peace could unsettle him and wear him down later in the fight. It might come down to a 12 v 15 round factor.

If we're talking lightweight, duran's big problem to solve was de jesus, who was a cracking fighter and mayweather's was castillo.

Duran maybe didn't take the first de jesus fight seriously, it was none-title, but even so it was chastening and clear defeat for him. He avenged the defeat twice in gruelling but ultimately convincing fashion.

Mayweather too, was more successful second time out... and there is the 'injury' caveat for floyd in the first castillo fight... certainly the second was easier without being a cakewalk. Other than those fights neither was ever really troubled at the lower weights.

I think de jesus was a better fighter than castillo, but that's probably irrelevant, they are merely there as examples of both fighters not having things all there own way.

Gun to head i say duran, but without conviction.

That's a very level headed assessment. I can no longer suspect you of being a ONETWOTRUSSAdamTRowley88 alias.

As a fan of one and not the other I still wouldn't be staking a months salary on a Duran win, even though I would probably fancy him a slight favourite. As you say, there are too many variables to make this conclusive, it's just my gut that says Duran would keep coming forward and work his way to a win. At lightweight and with good hands Floyd may just have the power to keep Duran honest though.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:24 am

I think Floyd would be too scared to fight him.

He was afraid of Pacquiao before JMM knocked him out.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

AdamT wrote:I think Floyd would be too scared to fight him.

He was afraid of Pacquiao before JMM knocked him out.

I don't like to defend this attitude of possible cherry picking but maybe there is a little truth in it being a sign of the times. Would Duran have done the same thing if he had the chance to make the same or more money for less risk? I'm not sure. There are fighters out there that don't care and want a good scrap, but Floyd having that 0 has almost certainly made him more money than being in a couple of great fights against the best of the best but suffering a couple of potential loses. Like it or not, Floyd has largely sold himself using that 0 and it's worked wonders.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:36 am

Best thing that could of happened, is Castillo getting the decision.

He would of taken far more risks then.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:41 am

AdamT wrote:Best thing that could of happened, is Castillo getting the decision.

He would of taken far more risks then.

For us, yes. The thing is Floyd is now an attraction that he wouldn't be at 48-1 or 47-2. He's all about the fanfare, "TBE", always the winner, extravagance and showmanship. Most watch to see him lose. He's no warrior and he's not involved in the most exciting fights, so without that extra something he could well have faded into the land of Rigo.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:44 am

Anyway Pacquiao vs Duran would of been a mouth watering treat.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

I'll just add that like it or not, he's a sporting headline act that promotes boxing during a general downturn. Floyd is the best paid sports star at a time when the sport he partakes in is in decline. He is an anomaly.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

I can't ignore the IV situation.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

AdamT wrote:I can't ignore the IV situation.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

Well he did accuse another fighter and refused to fight him.

Big black hole for me in his career.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:51 am

Anyway not go down this road.

Would Pac's speed cause Duran much problems?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:54 am

AdamT wrote:Well he did accuse another fighter and refused to fight him.

I like Paula Radcliffe and Mo Farah. Recently both have come under scrutiny for possible doping. If they get caught I’ll become disheartened, until then it’s only possible. A lot of things in life are merely possible.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:56 am

Perhaps, I best not say anymore. Don't want banned.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:58 am

DuransHorse wrote:
AdamT wrote:Well he did accuse another fighter and refused to fight him.

I like Paula Radcliffe and Mo Farah.  Recently both have come under scrutiny for possible doping.  If they get caught I’ll become disheartened, until then it’s only possible.  A lot of things in life are merely possible.

Exactly...I often wondered how slobs like Tubbs and Witherspoon..............Could go 15 at a fast pace........When my lungs used to come out of my mouth after 2......

Often wondered how Duran regularly got down from 170 to 135.........

But that's all it is wondering....................If you're not guilty you're not guilty...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next