The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxings peak and slide

+6
lfc91
Rowley
AdamT
shenglong2015
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boxings peak and slide - Page 2 Empty Boxings peak and slide

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 23 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Today the sport of boxing is as poor as it ever has been.

Too many alphabet titles, too many ''champions'', too many networks, a heavyweight champion NOBODY knows, the emergance of so called cherry picking, Adonis Stevenson and way too much money corrupting the game we love

So when did it start to decline?

Some say the 50's with the likes of SRR, La Motta, Bassilio, Marciano, Charles, Armstrong, Walcott and Moore was the golden age of boxing. Great fights, great champions, and titles being fought for with passion.

Some say the 70's was the greatest era with Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Duran, Monzon, Buchannon etc but the 80's was not too shabby either the fab four, Tyson, Bruno but I can't put my finger on where it got completly f**ked up as it is today.

Who knows

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Boxings peak and slide - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxings peak and slide

Post by lfc91 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:47 pm

Ah yes, the inevitable childlike and downright silly post from a person who is quite clearly out of their depth. I will be honest it came much sooner than I anticipated.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm

No answer to the All Ireland Boxing Association did you? And you have been wrong on every point you've made. "91" I think we know who the child is.

Out of my depth, been living in Ireland longer than you pal, seen more on these streets than you'll ever imagine, stick to watching BBC Newsline and politics post Good Friday Agreement.

Anyone who seperates this island when it comes to boxing is a bigot, and I quite frankly have no time to further this discussion.

It is an all Ireland cross border sport where secterianism should be left at the door.

Phrases like "Of course McGregor gets more support as he is from Ireland and Frampton is from a different country" is just antagonistic, wrong and down right insulting to a section of the community that you claim to share with in tranquilty. And you should no better given your claim to reach out to all sections of our community.

Your subtle bias has been noted and I will move on now.

Thats me done with this thread. Bye.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:02 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:"91" I think we know who the child is.
"2015" You're as much a baby as you sound.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:18 pm

Well considering all of the points I have made have been opinions, I find it very hard to believe they are wrong. (Although you are of course within your rights to hold the OPINION that they are).

So anyone who states that Nationality plays a part in sporting support is a bigot? An interesting viewpoint I must say. Somehow I get the feeling you aren't quite sure what the word means. I could educate you of course but I have a feeling that at least one school has wasted enough money on that fruitless endevour.

The simple fact is you managed to drag a post highlighting how two sportsmen may have more support in their respective countries into a pointless discussion on secterianism.

I will be sure to put the word out that age is the main indicator of the validity of an opinion. No need for any debate in future if that is all that decides it. Judging by the last post I would say you are part of a certain percentage of the generation who lived through the troubles and don't realise that this has forever tarnish/guided their opinions and viewpoints to the point that they are stopping future generations from making the changes that would ensure a better shared future for the Country. Forever passing on their biggoted/sectation views.

One final point, my experiances on the streets of Ireland are limited to one particularly enjoyable weekend in Dublin and several camping trips as a kid, so I have no doubt that you have seen more in Ireland than me.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

To be fair I was only making a point that McGregor is 100x more famous than Frampton. Maybe not in the North, but in the rest of the planet he is.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:23 pm

Oh and in response to the All Ireland Boxing Association, I was under the impression that it governed amature boxing? Thought that considering the two sports in question were Pro Boxing and MMA (and the support 2 individuals from each may recieve from the respective countries), that it had no relevance. (Especially considering you quickly dragged the topic away from even that with your misguided views).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

AdamT wrote:To be fair I was only making a point that McGregor is 100x more famous than Frampton. Maybe not in the North, but in the rest of the planet he is.

And a valid point it is.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

He is flavour of the month and has a big mouth. Works for him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:27 pm

If he keeps winning his support keeps growing. Has the potential to become extremely famous/wealthy (More so that he already is).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

I don't think he will keep on winning.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

Can never write him off. From my limited viewing of him he seems to be a pretty good fighter with tremendous self belief. Which could well be the difference between winning and losing.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 3:01 pm

WBO coming killed the sport...Three was manageable...

Who can remember Damiani as champ when Tyson was..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Sep 2015, 3:03 pm

2 was definitely optimal.

4 is a disgrace and won't mention WBU!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

I would say the from 80s is when you start seeing the most noticeable decline. There a re lots af factors involved but I think the single biggest reason was that in the U.S, where the sport was essentially based financially, other sports began to outstrip it populartiy and become more viable options for potential athletes.

After the 80s there began a major drop off in the quality of boxers the USA was producing in the higher weight classes. They started going into other sports more and more. When you look at the college scholarship opportunities for boxing and the kind of pro career security it offer compared to american football, baseball, track, basketball etc then very few athletes would go down that road at all. The heavier divisions have been more popular so the interest started to peter out when the U.S stopped producing quality fighters in these divisions. The future of these divisions will probably lie with the Eastern Europeans.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 23 Sep 2015, 8:09 pm

Adam, MMA has already started to lose it's appeal, the sport has failed to replace it's established stars and is force feeding the like of McGregor and Rousey to the public. Dana White likes to give off the impression that UFC is in better shape than ever but the current crop don't come close to Lesnar, GSP, Silva, Liddell or Couture, he however is very good at deceiving the public. Stick Rousey on a GSP undercard and then in retrospect say she was the draw when the main man retires.

UFC tends to have inflated PPV numbers compared to boxing because they are few and far between but boxing draws in significantly more viewers and crowds throughout the year.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Sep 2015, 9:14 pm

Hammer you are probably right.

Maybe it's just because McGregor is Irish, that people are nuts for him here.

Much prefer boxing anyway.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2