The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

+84
gregortree
Icu
wolfball
Marshes
sportform
greenandpleasantland
haircut
JDizzle
Gwlad
milkyboy
The Great Aukster
overlordofthewest
Barney McGrew did it
protea438
Rory_Gallagher
Cyril
Notch
Geordie
Good Golly I'm Olly
majesticimperialman
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
quinsforever
kingraf
mckay1402
nobbled
HammerofThunor
Sgt_Pooly
lostinwales
Biltong
Majestic83
Pot Hale
goneagain
munkian
Newsilure
Tattie Scones RRN
hjumpshoe
Fanster
Scarpia
tatterd
Gooseberry
doctornickolas
LondonTiger
flyhalffactory
glamorganalun
Seagultaf
GavCanDance
GavinDragon
chris_501
RDW
boomeranga
emack2
Dontheman2
MarcusHalberstram
yappysnap
Welshmushroom
gavstar
BamBam
Luckless Pedestrian
SecretFly
Steffan
TightHEAD
rodders
No9
Cardiff Dave
wales606
Liam
offload
LordDowlais
Blueschief
TJ
mikey_dragon
eirebilly
InjuredYetAgain
kiakahaaotearoa
George Carlin
Shifty
2ndtimeround
bedfordwelsh
Pal Joey
nathan
Welsh-Wizzard
RubyGuby
maestegmafia
88 posters

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Empty Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Oct 2015, 8:38 am

First topic message reminder :

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Wallab10   Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Wales_13
AUSTRALIA v WALES
10 October 2015
KO: 16:45
Twickenham, London

Live on [tbc]

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Touch judges: Jérôme Garcès (France) & Stuart Berry (South Africa)
Television match official: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

A. Head to Head

38 Played 38
27 Won 10
1 Drawn 1
10 Lost 27
897 Points 590

B. Recent Form

8 November 2014
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
28 – 33 Australia

30 November 2013
26 – 30 Australia

1 December 2012
12 – 14 Australia

23 June 2012
Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney
20 – 19 Australia

16 June 2012
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
25 – 23 Australia

9 June 2012
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
27 – 19 Australia

3 December 2011
18 – 24 Australia

21 October 2011
Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand
21 – 18 Australia

TEAMS:

AUSTRALIA
Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Yvonne10
I Folau; A Ashley-Cooper, T Kuridrani, M Giteau, D Mitchell; B Foley, W Genia; S Sio, S Moore, S Kepu; K Douglas, D Mumm; S Fardy, S McMahon, D Pocock.

Replacements: T Polota-Nau, J Slipper, G Holmes, R Simmons, B MCCalman, N Phipps, M Toomua, K Beale.

WALES
Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Erinri10
G Anscombe; A Cuthbert, G North, J Roberts, L Williams; D Biggar, G Davies; P James, S Baldwin, S Lee; L Charteris, AW Jones; S Warburton, J Tipuric, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, A Jarvis, T Francis, J Ball, R Moriarty, Ll Williams, R Priestland, J Hook.

The pool decider.

Damn those boys in the Canary yellow shirts look good, really good. Going through top of the pool Wales would be likely to meet Japan or Scotland...! Go through second and we meet a refuvinated Bok side.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by hjumpshoe Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:15 pm

I like the team! Will it be good enough to win? Probably not but who knows! Gethin, Bradley and lyds fit n bursting ready 4 the dogfight against the Boks! Tyler maybe unlucky, pro's n cons 2 North at centre and Anscomb at 15 where he was excellent in S15!

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October  - Page 6 Empty Re: Australia vs Wales RWC Pool A 10th October

Post by LordDowlais Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:16 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I don't remember North being at fault for any try? You're thinking of Cuthbert, missed tackles on Folau and Kuridrani.

No it was definitely North. Watch it. North tackled both players high, and just ran his hands down their upper bodies and fell over as normal.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:18 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I don't remember North being at fault for any try? You're thinking of Cuthbert, missed tackles on Folau and Kuridrani.

No it was definitely North. Watch it. North tackled both players high, and just ran his hands down their upper bodies and fell over as normal.

Oh dear.... naughty boy. Red card stuff if you ask me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:20 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Lydiate is injured

As must Davies and Jenkins be to not make the bench.

Crazy backline really. Very harsh on Tyler Morgan.

They initially said they had a fully fit squad to pick for but saying that Lydiate and Jenkins both took quite a battering last time out so I would say they have been rested with the quarters in mind.

I would have started James anyway but Jenkins put in full shift against England and 60 against Fiji so again guess he is being rested and expect all 3 to return for the quarters.

I would have stuck with Morgan at 13 although it is maybe too early for him given our other options there. Happier he has gone with North over Hook though.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm

I don't think I'll ever understand dropping him to accommodate a winger in the centre, your best fullback on one wing and the out of sorts winger on the other one. Sure his time will come, but it's incredibly harsh.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:George North in the center !!!!!!

GAME OVER FOR WALES.

That's a bit extreme, isn't it? He has played there before.

Yeah, against Australia, and he was like a friggin turn style. He was at fault for at least two of Australia's tries that day, and do not get me started with his tackling, the kid is a big baby. I just hope he changes his tune on Saturday.

I don't remember North being at fault for any try? You're thinking of Cuthbert, missed tackles on Folau and Kuridrani.

That was the game with the Folau forward pass. 

This team looks good to me. Lots of attacking threat.

I was referring to the one the year after, our most recent encounter with Aus. I had assumed LD was also referring to that one; Roberts and North started in the centre. We notched up four tries that day, another four this weekend would be quite handy Whistle.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand dropping him to accommodate a winger in the centre, your best fullback on one wing and the out of sorts winger on the other one. Sure his time will come, but it's incredibly harsh.

I would have as well then put North and Williams on the wings with Anscombe at XV. Given out injuries in the backs it was always going to be a bit of a jumble/ mix and match back line.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:31 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:We notched up four tries that day, another four this weekend would be quite handy

Yes it would be nice, but we need to stop them from scoring as well, I just hope North has been taking some courage pills, and he puts some of that massive frame into affect when it comes to stopping the Aussies.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm

I have thought for a while North is more suited to play in the centre.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:47 pm

I don't think anyone would have predicted that team/bench - fair play to Gats for keeping us all surprised. I think it's a pretty interesting looking team. Cuthbert being given his nth chance to regain form, but I guess the cupboard is fairly bare - so lets hope he can recall how to run, catch, pass, tackle etc. by Saturday. I hope he has a stormer.

I think this could be a fun game to watch.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:50 pm

I don't think its that much of a surprise team given our injuries and knocks
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Oct 2015, 12:59 pm

TJ wrote:I have thought for a while North is more suited to play in the centre.  

I sort of agree. In attack, some of North's best moments have been when he comes in midfield and hits the line. If he's already in midfield, as a result of playing centre, then I'm hoping he'll get plenty of ball and a bit more space than when he's got to deal with a touch line as another defender. He can break a tackle too so it could be good. He's had a quiet tournament so far so this could be his game.

In defence though North is a bit of a worry. Much is made of his size, power and physicality but that's usually in reference to his ability to break tackles or carry a few tacklers over the line with him. In defence he's a bit of a flapper. Always has been. He goes high, flailing with his arms, and tries to grab players by the collar/shirt/chest hair perhaps, and push or bundle them into touch. He often misses those tackles and the attacker is away. At centre he could be a revolving door! He'll need good backup from his team mates here I reckon. Someone to play sweeper. But that creates more space behind then. Let's just hope he makes the first up tackles.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I just watched highlights of the 2014 game and North wasn't at fault for any try. Biggar missed a tackle, Webb gave an intercept, Cuthbert missed a tackle. North looked good setting up a try though. From what I've seen his defence actually looks better from centre than wing.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:11 pm

Paul James is very lucky that Joubert is reffing and Garces on the line. Garces would have penalised him out of the game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:14 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Paul James is very lucky that Joubert is reffing and Garces on the line. Garces would have penalised him out of the game.

What for ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:17 pm

I'll just leave this here - made me laugh. Great kick tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:20 pm

Very interesting team, really mixing it up, although I would have been happier to see Gethin and maybe Davies on the bench if they are fit.

Backline could be interesting, and might well be the best we can put together at the moment, the forward pack is strong. I guess we are playing Tipuric and Warburton to try to lessen the impact of having no second flanker in the front row.

Pity Gethin has been having so much trouble at scrum time, because I would have through Gethin, Warburton and Tipuric would be the perfect combination to take on Pooper at the breakdown.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:We notched up four tries that day, another four this weekend would be quite handy

Yes it would be nice, but we need to stop them from scoring as well, I just hope North has been taking some courage pills, and he puts some of that massive frame into affect when it comes to stopping the Aussies.

You are questioning Norths courage..... Seriously!

Ahem what is it three maybe four head concussions!. The guy has too much courage if you ask me he doesn't think about the consequences he just goes at it 100% every single time.

Question his technique and maybe his positioning, timing, application or awareness but jeeze how can you question his courage Shocked

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Paul James is very lucky that Joubert is reffing and Garces on the line. Garces would have penalised him out of the game.

What for ?

Driving in on the angle. James was the most penalised player in the AP last season just from doing that. For a while he was only second choice because of the penalties he was conceding.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:23 pm

AUSTRALIA TEAM TO FACE WALES

Backs: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Will Genia.
Forwards: Scott Sio, Stephen Moore (captain), Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Scott Fardy, Sean McMahon, David Pocock.
Replacements: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale

Tasty looking team!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:24 pm

Australia

Backs: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Will Genia.

Forwards: Scott Sio, Stephen Moore (captain), Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Scott Fardy, Sean McMahon, David Pocock.

Replacements: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale.

Folau and Giteau are both fit, while they are keeping with the two 7s approach with McMahon (who has looked just as good as Hooper in the games I have seen him in, he is inexperienced but very dangerous)

Not many weaknesses there.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:33 pm

I thought Folau was out?

More subterfuge by Cheika?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:36 pm

So Hooper the only absentee...!

This is going to be a very tough game to win for Wales. That team could put forty points on anyone in world rugby on the right day.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:37 pm

OP updated.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:43 pm

maestegmafia wrote:So Hooper the only absentee...!

This is going to be a very tough game to win for Wales. That team could put forty points on anyone in world rugby on the right day.

They could also lose on the right day. Let's not build these sides up into Super men. They're a side you have to fight brutally hard for 80 minutes. As they seek to bully, you have to bully back. But hey, that's rugby at the top. Not invincible though.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

Well said, Fly. They're a dangerous side but they have their own weaknesses.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:47 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What for ?

Driving in on the angle. James was the most penalised player in the AP last season just from doing that. For a while he was only second choice because of the penalties he was conceding.

He was the same at the Ospreys.. Always giving away penalties. Surprised he gets noticed for that particular infringement in the English Premiership? All the looseheads in the prem do it..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:49 pm

I hope North has had some serious coaching for this role - he was pants when he started at centre last time.

Interesting selection all around. We might be OK up front and win enough ball, not sure our backline will cause enough problems and the Aussie backline might run rings around us.

We'd better brush up on our Afrikanns.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:51 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Well said, Fly. They're a dangerous side but they have their own weaknesses.

On current showing their dangerous side is more prevelent than their weak side

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:52 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What for ?

He was the same at the Ospreys.. Always giving away penalties. Surprised he gets noticed for that particular infringement in the English Premiership? All the looseheads in the prem do it..!

I agree with LT, I've watched Bath a lot and James in a penalty machine. Gatland can mince around with the backline all he wants, it's our lack of a top front row that will limit how far we go in this competition.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:54 pm

There wasn't a lot of options really with Morgan or Hook being the other options at 13.  I would have stuck with Morgan but can see that it might be a season or two too early for him, I personally wouldn't have Hook anywhere near the side so that's a no go for me.

I think once they made the decision to move North into the centre then there weren't many other options over Cuthbert, if they had left Williams at XV who would have played on the other wing?

So moving him there seems sensible given he plays there when Halfpenny is fit and if it wasn't Asncombe at XV then the options were M Morgan of Hook.  Morgan looked ok against Fiji but defence wise would have been killed, as for Hook see above.

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 1:56 pm

offload wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What for ?

I agree with LT, I've watched Bath a lot and James in a penalty machine.  Gatland can mince around with the backline all he wants, it's our lack of a top front row that will limit how far we go in this competition.

Jenkins isn't great at not getting pinged by refs, he seems to get on their wrong side more often than not so I guess it's 6 of one half dozen other etc. I am a bit surprised Jenkins isn't even on the bench as don't rate Jarvis as cover but James starting is good by me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:03 pm

Lydiate will be missed.  Maybe he is still in therapy after his ghostly encounter?...   Very Happy

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/spooked-wales-star-dan-lydiate-10200836

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:04 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What for ?

Garces didn't penalise Marler for it so I'm not sure where you get the idea he would penalise James out of the game.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:12 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Well said, Fly. They're a dangerous side but they have their own weaknesses.

Where? - seriously they look very good and I do not know where I would chose to attack ie where their weaknesses are

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:38 pm

They struggled in the lineout in the second half against Fiji. I know ours hasn't been stellar, but we should pressurise them there.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:39 pm

TJ wrote:

Where? - seriously they look very good and I do not know where I would chose to attack ie where their weaknesses are

It is suggested that the ten and twelve channel aren't going to be able to cope well with big boys running at them all game.

Problem with that is that the Bazzers can just chuck any of their back row in to that area to help out and probably get a turn over.

Maybe we will try to bore them to death like we did vs The Boks in Cardiff last autumn?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
TJ wrote:

It is suggested that the ten and twelve channel aren't going to be able to cope well with big boys running at them all game.

Problem with that is that the Bazzers can just chuck any of their back row in to that area to help out and probably get a turn over.

Maybe we will try to bore them to death like we did vs The Boks in Cardiff last autumn?

:-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:So Hooper the only absentee...!

They could also lose on the right day.  Let's not build these sides up into Super men.  They're a side you have to fight brutally hard for 80 minutes.  As they seek to bully, you have to bully back.  But hey, that's rugby at the top.  Not invincible though.

Careful 'Fly, that's nearly like saying that Wales could beat them "on their day"! Let's not start World War 3 on 606V2 Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 08 Oct 2015, 2:58 pm

He's right, though. They're not invincible.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:03 pm

TBH, I can't see anything other than an Oz win.

I sincerely hope not though.....I would really love us to meet you boys in the 1\4s.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:03 pm

Their lineout isn't nothing special and with Charteris in I think we should aim to disrupt/attack theirs every chance we get.

We play an obvious kicking game and that's unlikely to change much so we have to make sure it is spot on or their backs will crucify us.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:08 pm

McMahon has been in superb form this season and the gap between him and Pocock isn't actually that great any more.

Very interesting Welsh team. Gatland wouldn't exactly be the first coach to stuff all of his favourite players onto the field at the same time and hope it works. I still think that Wales can do it if they get their noses in front and defend the gainline like he'll.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

Bloody auto spell check.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

Bit of a side note but it is likely that AWJ will get his 100th cap in the quarter finals. clap clap clap
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:10 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:AUSTRALIA TEAM TO FACE WALES

Replacements: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale

Fair enough, but can you really see any of those getting into the welsh XV, and lets face it they're not the most intelligent team around are they. Our forwards to blow them away in the first 20 and then to pick the bones out of what's left  Yahoo  thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:14 pm

Shows you how much respect we have for Wales, Rubes.

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:He's right, though. They're not invincible.

No team is invincible.

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:TBH, I can't see anything other than an Oz win.

I sincerely hope not though.....I would really love us to meet you boys in the 1\4s.

Yes, that would set up two immense, mouth-watering QF matches next weekend.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:18 pm

Australia looking strong all over the park and Wales not looking too shabby with the injuries taken into consideration. Hoping for a cracker - I think it will get heated so discipline will be key. Liam Williams is the bookies fav for a Yellow - thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:21 pm

Awesome Australia team. I can't see a repeat of last weekend for the Wallabies though, I think this Wales team are a little stronger and much better at the breakdown. Our weapon will likely be the lineout drive, and our scrum will have improved but not to the extent I'd have hoped so we'll probably just gain parity.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 08 Oct 2015, 3:24 pm

They look tired on paper to me.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next