The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home

+14
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
marty2086
Steffan
SecretFly
mikey_dragon
maestegmafia
carpet baboon
VinceWLB
Notch
doctornickolas
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
18 posters

Go down

Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home Empty Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Oct 2015 - 11:52

I have just been told that Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies are to return back to Britain at the end of their contracts at the end of the year. They both have a +1 year option on their contracts but talks are, that their French clubs do not want to take them up on this due to their commitments to the Lions.

Where would you have thought they would go ? Back to Wales on a DC ? A club in England ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/jonathan-davies-leigh-halfpenny-coming-10188068

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-star-jonathan-davies-cancels-10186929

I bet they would be in high demand. Some of the rich English clubs will be circling.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home Empty Re: Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Oct 2015 - 12:06

JD2 to Saints.
1/2p to Leicester as our second marquee signing (unless we sign Ben Smith first)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home Empty Re: Leigh Halfpenny and Jonathan Davies to come home

Post by doctornickolas Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 16:36

LondonTiger wrote:JD2 to Saints.
1/2p to Leicester as our second marquee signing (unless we sign Ben Smith first)

You would also get the benefit that neither player could be selected by Wales under the current agreement. They would effectively be saying goodbye to their international careers for a couple of years. Not sure either is ready to do that.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 17:07

Hopefully to Wales OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 17:18

JD2 is coming back to the Scarlets, they are very confident of it on the Scarlets forum.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 17:50

VinceWLB wrote:

JD2 is coming back to the Scarlets, they are very confident of it on the Scarlets forum.

I hope he does. Good for the Scarlets, Wales and the pro12

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 17:57

doctornickolas wrote:

You would also get the benefit that neither player could be selected by Wales under the current agreement. They would effectively be saying goodbye to their international careers for a couple of years. Not sure either is ready to do that.

It was meant to be a joke.

I thought though that the two players maximum only applied to people leaving Wales, not those already outside.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 18:46

carpet baboon wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:

I hope he does. Good for the Scarlets, Wales and the pro12

There was a rumour that Halfpenny might return sooner as his injury takes him out of the top14 this season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 20:13

Old news now - I can't see Jd2 going anywhere other than Scarlets. There was also a rumour linking Halfpenny with Wasps.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 20:17

Davies to Leinster I hear...on £1.2M. And Halfpenny is looking for a three year contract with Ulster for a non-declared secret salary of £1.5M.

Gotta keep up with the Carters Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 21:38

SecretFly wrote:Davies to Leinster I hear...on £1.2M.  And Halfpenny is looking for a three year contract with Ulster for a non-declared secret salary of £1.5M.

Gotta keep up with the Carters Wink

...but the Irish can only afford it coz they've got the IRB and World Rugby in their pockets Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 21:42

...yeah expensive buy for IRFU (I hear £300M) but you gotta commit to what's needed Griff Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 21:44

Why the hell would two of the best players in world rugby drop down a level and come back to Wales after playing in France? I imagine both will sign to English sides which I hope they do

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 21:51

Steffan wrote:Why the hell would two of the best players in world rugby drop down a level and come back to Wales after playing in France? I imagine both will sign to English sides which I hope they do

Maybe because they've been found out to be NOT two of the best players in the world? It's hard to name Welsh players that have actually enhanced their reputation AFTER moving abroad. Maybe Stephen Jones. Gareth Thomas possibly. The rest have generally come back with their tails between their legs. Yes, England might be a good move for them. But it will be a move based on, yet again, not fulfilling the potential to be a 'star' that their time in Wales originally suggested.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 21:55

Griff wrote:
Steffan wrote:Why the hell would two of the best players in world rugby drop down a level and come back to Wales after playing in France? I imagine both will sign to English sides which I hope they do

Maybe because they've been found out to be NOT two of the best players in the world? It's hard to name Welsh players that have actually enhanced their reputation AFTER moving abroad. Maybe Stephen Jones. Gareth Thomas possibly. The rest have generally come back with their tails between their legs. Yes, England might be a good move for them. But it will be a move based on, yet again, not fulfilling the potential to be a 'star' that their time in Wales originally suggested.

They will prolong their playing careers in Wales. They will earn the same money over a longer period with less chance of being burnt out in their prime.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 21:58

I agree Maes. I just don't agree with Steffam that they are two of the best players in world rugby. Certainly not at club level.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 23:41

Griff wrote:I agree Maes. I just don't agree with Steffam that they are two of the best players in world rugby. Certainly not at club level.
It's rather difficult to judge a player on worlds best levels on club performances. 

If they look good, the opposition may be mediocre. If they are having a tough time, the opposition fifteen maybe superior to that players own...!

Halfpenny and Davies have both proved time and again that they are excellent on the international stage. Maybe that is all we can judge them on. There is also no doubt that should they head home to the Scarlets and the Blues they will strengthen the team they join, they will be good enough to oust the current player occupying their position and they will make regional rugby stronger.

What more can we ask?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 23 Oct 2015 - 23:45

LondonTiger wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:

I thought though that the two players maximum only applied to people leaving Wales, not those already outside.

I think it is if they were to resign in France they would be ok but to make a move now needs to be back to Wales or essentially hope Gatland signs off on it but hes already got Roberts and Priestland in the AP and Faletau asking to go to Bath

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 11:00

marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:

I think it is if they were to resign in France they would be ok but to make a move now needs to be back to Wales or essentially hope Gatland signs off on it but hes already got Roberts and Priestland in the AP and Faletau asking to go to Bath

I think that to escape the now wild card pick rule, they have to remain with their current clubs. If they move they can only be selected as one of the (currently) two wild cards. At present these are Roberts and Priestland who have both moved to English clubs with WRU approval. Faletau will make it three, if he goes against WRU wishes it will be interesting to see if he gets one of the wild cards, or it WRU will take a stance?

During the Scarlets Munster Game yesterday, it was implied that both Davies and North are in discussions for a return to the Scarlets. North really needs to get out of Northampton, his form has plummeted since he left Wales and if he wants a long International career he needs to get back into Wales where his career will be better managed. It will be interesting though whether that will be at the Scarlets, he was not best pleased when they cashed in on the last year of his contract by selling him to Saints?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 13:36

doctornickolas wrote:

Agreements or not Gatland will pick them if he wants to, exceptional circumstances get out clause etc etc
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 14:34

bedfordwelsh wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:

Agreements or not Gatland will pick them if he wants to, exceptional circumstances get out clause etc etc

If Gatland doesn't sign off on it he won't and it would undermine the NDCs as one of the benefits of introducing them is keeping talent in Wales

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 14:39

I think Gatland did imply that he would only select more than two wild cards in exceptional or unforeseen circumstances..or something along those lines. Given the injury list with more likely to come then can we assume that more than two wild cards will be selected for the coming 6 nations tournament?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 18:13

mikey_dragon wrote:I think Gatland did imply that he would only select more than two wild cards in exceptional or unforeseen circumstances..or something along those lines. Given the injury list with more likely to come then can we assume that more than two wild cards will be selected for the coming 6 nations tournament?

Mikey, I think the big question is, if there is not an injury crisis, will Gatland stick to the rules he has agreed to and not pick seasoned Welsh internationals who have moved to English and French sides against his wishes?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 20:25

With Priest semi-retiring from international, only Roberts falls in the wild card catagory, freeing the way for Faletau to leave. Not sure where Charteris will end up yet, but maybe he will be steered to the Ospreys, meaning only Roberts and Faletau as players who are up for consideration as wild cards. So basically leaving Gars free to chose who he wants as normal.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 20:30

Is Charteris out of contract?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 21:06

Still think he will pick who he wants
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 24 Oct 2015 - 21:17

mikey_dragon wrote:Is Charteris out of contract?

I thought he was, but don't quote me on it. It could be end of next season
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 12:51

I heard a rumour Glasgow were in talks to sign North as cover for Lee Jones when he's away with the sevens squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 12:59

Charteris signed a 2 year contract, starting in the 2014/15 season (according to a BBC articl I found). So he's up end of the current season.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 14:38

HammerofThunor wrote:Charteris signed a 2 year contract, starting in the 2014/15 season (according to a BBC articl I found). So he's up end of the current season.

Cheers.

So really at the moment we have 2 'wild card' places, and only one player who would need to be chosen as a wild card.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 14:48

Charteris is exempt though isn't he, in that he was overseas before Gatland come up with this idea. It could be Roberts and Owen Williams...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 15:05

mikey_dragon wrote:Charteris is exempt though isn't he, in that he was overseas before Gatland come up with this idea. It could be Roberts and Owen Williams...

Owen hasn't changed teams. So I believe that makes him exempt the same as Tom Ftancus (renewed contract with Chiefs). So it is only Roberts, well from players expected to be involved in Welsh squads (or on the fringes).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 16:44

123456789 wrote:I heard a rumour Glasgow were in talks to sign North as cover for Lee Jones when he's away with the sevens squad.

Jeez, the Scots are getting cocky after their galant quarter final exit! You'd think they won the bloody thing Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 17:38

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Charteris is exempt though isn't he, in that he was overseas before Gatland come up with this idea. It could be Roberts and Owen Williams...

Owen hasn't changed teams.  So I believe that makes him exempt the same as Tom Ftancus (renewed contract with Chiefs).  So it is only Roberts, well from players expected to be involved in Welsh squads (or on the fringes).
So SS, what about those 2 reports in todays Rugby Paper that you have signed an ITM centre for this season and more importantly we (Ospreys) are trying to put together a deal to get JD2, haven't seen the article myself but it has been mentioned on our Forum

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 18:31

wayne wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Owen hasn't changed teams.  So I believe that makes him exempt the same as Tom Ftancus (renewed contract with Chiefs).  So it is only Roberts, well from players expected to be involved in Welsh squads (or on the fringes).
So SS, what about those 2 reports in todays Rugby Paper that you have signed an ITM centre for this season and more importantly we (Ospreys) are trying to put together a deal to get JD2, haven't seen the article myself but it has been mentioned on our Forum

I haven't seen either. But the ITM centre, Auckland?, will be to cover Scott who is out all season at a guess.

And talk is Foxy has already signed up, on a dual contract for next season. But rumours are rumours I guess
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 18:36

Wayne, Michael Colin's from Otago, Welsh qualified, former NZ under 20s. Supposedly turned down a Chiefs contract, but is def looking like an injury cover signing
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 18:39

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I haven't seen either.  But the ITM centre, Auckland?, will be to cover Scott who is out all season at a guess.

And talk is Foxy has already signed up, on a dual contract for next season.  But rumours are rumours I guess
SS,I think it is down to who wrote the article if it is Jackson, it could be true, he put it out there in the early part of this year that we had signed the NZ based prop, if it is anybody else I doubt it is true, and that is what I'm inclined to believe.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 18:41

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, Michael Colin's from Otago, Welsh qualified, former NZ under 20s.    Supposedly turned down a Chiefs contract, but is def looking like an injury cover signing
Well good for you, the more WQ we can get over here the better, lets hope it is for more than a short term.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 18:47

The centre is apparently true, here tomorrow? (See earlier post)

It was Fissel who did the foxy article, but apparently he claims he is wanted by teams in England and requesting £450k. In addition, both us and you are also in chase, but we are in pole at the moment. Which would tie in with the 'done deal' talk, maybe all bar dotting Is and crossing Ts?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 11:35

Here you go Wayne

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/10828.php#.Vi4P2U0ny70

ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:57

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Here you go Wayne

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/10828.php#.Vi4P2U0ny70

As I said earlier, well done, there is a bit of gnashing of teeth on our forum that we, with our NZ connections missed out on him, so well done again

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 14:03

ScarletSpiderman wrote:The centre is apparently true, here tomorrow?  (See earlier post)

It was Fissel who did the foxy article, but apparently he claims he is wanted by teams in England and requesting £450k.  In addition, both us and you are also in chase, but we are in pole at the moment.  Which would tie in with the 'done deal' talk, maybe all bar dotting Is and crossing Ts?
SS, I think Foxy will be disappointed if he expects anywhere near that amount on a DC, I know of another Osprey that has recently signed a new DC, who is NOT on half that amount, unless ALL the new sponsorship money is spent on him and Leigh.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 14:57

Clarteris will be more than welcome back at Rodney parade
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down