The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages

+14
Heaf
Breadvan
TightHEAD
maestegmafia
HammerofThunor
RuggerRadge2611
goneagain
RubyGuby
Tattie Scones RRN
rainbow-warrior
fa0019
Biltong
Golden
LordDowlais
18 posters

Go down

Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages Empty Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages

Post by LordDowlais Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:14 am

Well, we know we all love our team here in Wales, but at least this shows we will go anywhere to watch them, Wales are top of the pile when it comes to supporting our team.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-3269664/Wales-watched-nation-Rugby-World-Cup-95-cent-seats-filled-1-8m-attend-group-stage-games.html

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages Empty Re: Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages

Post by Golden Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:18 am

Helps when you get to play at home....

Golden

Back to top Go down

Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages Empty Re: Wales were the most watched side in the pool stages

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:21 am

Who played i.n what capaxity stadia though?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:24 am

probably had something to do with the stadium choices to be fair.

Nearly all the matches have been sell outs but Wales played all their matches at Twichenham or the MS. England played 1 in Manchester which brought their aveage down etc.

been a well supported world cup that's for sure.

Heard the SA vs. USA game was filled with more bokke fans then you'd find in Loftus.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:25 am

Ohhhh the bitterness shown to the smallest of things.

England played at HOME for all their games and it has a bigger capacity than Cardiff.

Well done Wales.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:25 am

Golden wrote:Helps when you get to play at home....

Didn't England play at home as well then ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:26 am

Straws.

Clutching.

#walesworldchampsatsupportingtheirownteamatthebiggestgrounds

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:27 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Didn't England play at home as well then ?

They played 1 match in Manchester with what 50,000 capacity. Made all the diff to the overall sums. Had they played at Twickenham they would have sold out for that game too.

More to do with matches selling out and where they're held.

lets be honest LD, the MS is hardly ever capacity on a AI right, you can always get tickets. At Twickenham you have to sell your mother...

In Scotland they throw away tickets to up their stats.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:36 am

It is all about Capacity but it would have been interesting to see how many would have turned out at HQ for the Uruquay game - Manchester has been starved of such fare and they supported their heroes well on a very difficult evening

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:39 am

So Wales were on top at half time? Wonder what the final score will be.

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:39 am

RubyGuby wrote:It is all about Capacity but it would have been interesting to see how many would have turned out at HQ for the Uruquay game - Manchester has been starved of such fare and they supported their heroes well on a very difficult evening

thumbsup

Given twickenham sells out games vs. Fiji, Samoa, Argentina during AI's when the MS, Murrayfield etc barely gets 3/4 full I think they would have been fine. People take their kids/wives to such matches.

To be fair though... 50000 even for a 3MM pop is not bad.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:46 am

I think this is as good a thread to make this comment as any.

I would like to say a big thank you to the England fans, from a Scottish perspective. No doubt about it a lot of Scots will have made the journey to Twickers on Sunday, probably a lot of Welsh fans too, hedging their bets on how they would get out of their groups.

So I suppose I'm thanking the home nations fans who were in attendance for their support to Scotland. It has been mentioned on a lot of rugby news sites and even eluded to by the commentary team that Twickers sounded like Murrayfield, so a big thanks to all the supporters for cheering on Scotland!

P.S. it might have just been the fact you dislike the Ozzies more than us thumbsup  Hug
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm

Just for Poopie and giggles here is the breakdown based on capacity. The order is based on highest to lowest (done before rounding).

England 100%
Uruguay 98%
Wales 98%
Ireland 96%
Australia 96%
South Africa 96%
New Zealand 96%
Samoa 96%
Fiji 95%
Argentina 95%
Scotland 95%
France 94%
Romania 94%
USA 93%
Italy 93%
Japan 92%
Tonga 92%
Namibia 91%
Georgia 91%
Canada 90%

Most attended game at the Millennium Stadium was Ireland v France. Highest attendance overall was Ireland v Romania at Wembley stadium (only other game at Wembley was New Zealand v Argentina which was 250 less).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:51 pm

England got play all their games at home...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Just like Wales did during the 1999 world cup. Why do you have a problem with England doing the same?

Can anyone remember the 1999 world cup?

Last edited by TightHEAD on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 20 Oct 2015, 1:59 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Just for Poopie and giggles here is the breakdown based on capacity. The order is based on highest to lowest (done before rounding).

England 100%
Uruguay 98%
Wales 98%
Ireland 96%
Australia 96%
South Africa 96%
New Zealand 96%
Samoa 96%
Fiji 95%
Argentina 95%
Scotland 95%
France 94%
Romania 94%
USA 93%
Italy 93%
Japan 92%
Tonga 92%
Namibia 91%
Georgia 91%
Canada 90%

Most attended game at the Millennium Stadium was Ireland v France. Highest attendance overall was Ireland v Romania at Wembley stadium (only other game at Wembley was New Zealand v Argentina which was 250 less).

What is the 100% by England for? They had 50 778 v Uruguay in a stadium that holds 55 097

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:01 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Just for Poopie and giggles here is the breakdown based on capacity. The order is based on highest to lowest (done before rounding).

England 100%
Uruguay 98%
Wales 98%
Ireland 96%
Australia 96%
South Africa 96%
New Zealand 96%
Samoa 96%
Fiji 95%
Argentina 95%
Scotland 95%
France 94%
Romania 94%
USA 93%
Italy 93%
Japan 92%
Tonga 92%
Namibia 91%
Georgia 91%
Canada 90%

What is the 100% by England for? They had 50 778 v Uruguay in a stadium that holds 55 097

thumbsup

But the tickets were still sold.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:01 pm

You aren't seriously bickering about this are you?

picard
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Just like Wales did during the 1999 world cup. Why do you have a problem with England doing the same?

There is no problem, what has been said though, is that Wales had more people watching them as they had games at home, but so did England, but Wales still had more people watching them, the real fact is though Wales had two games at home and two games in London.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:03 pm

I still want to moan about poor old Craig Joubert but that thread has been killed unfairly imo.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:04 pm

TightHEAD wrote:I still want to moan about poor old Craig Joubert but that thread has been killed unfairly imo.

laughing
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:44 pm

TightHEAD wrote:I still want to moan about poor old Craig Joubert but that thread has been killed unfairly imo.

You want to kill Craig Joubert? Erm Run Smile

It does help that Wales played 5 games in huge stadiums but kudos to the fans that attended and costs incurred..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:52 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

England 100%
Uruguay 98%
Wales 98%
Ireland 96%
Australia 96%
South Africa 96%
New Zealand 96%
Samoa 96%
Fiji 95%
Argentina 95%
Scotland 95%
France 94%
Romania 94%
USA 93%
Italy 93%
Japan 92%
Tonga 92%
Namibia 91%
Georgia 91%
Canada 90%

thumbsup

Went off the official website for the world cup as they had all the venue capacities.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/venues/manchester-city-stadium

Remember that the capacity of grounds can change depending on what is happening, temporary changes, etc. And clearly in this case they increased it above the 47000 they have on the website.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 20 Oct 2015, 7:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Twickenham is their home ground, so no they didn't.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 20 Oct 2015, 7:53 pm

Wales played Uruguay and Fiji at home, and England and Australia in Twickenham.
Scotland did play in Newcastle which is on the Scottish Border just about. Ireland played a few games in Cardiff and lets be fair half the Irish population are still drunk from their grand slam party there in 2006, most never made it home so the Cardiff game was easy for them to find. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Oct 2015, 7:59 pm

Another sh*t thread for the fans of teams knocked out to discuss. Can't we have 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th place playoffs instead to give us something to talk about (sorry England, you're out of that one too I guess Wink )?!

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 8:34 pm

I say again

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:You aren't seriously bickering about this are you?

picard
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 20 Oct 2015, 9:53 pm

nope

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 21 Oct 2015, 7:29 pm

One Direction packs 'em in.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 21 Oct 2015, 8:54 pm

Scotland did play in Newcastle which is on the Scottish Border just about

bet you wouldn't like to be dragged by your wedding tackle from Newcastle to the Anglo-Scottish Border.

It's a lot further than you think.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 21 Oct 2015, 8:58 pm

Depends on who did the dragging.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 22 Oct 2015, 9:22 am

These stats obviously don't take into account how many fans are of what nationality.

Surprised by how few Welsh fans there were at the England vs Wales game. Expected 20k before the game but wouldn't surprise me if it was just 5k. English fans heavily outnumbered Welsh fans, I guess not that surprising but I thought the Welsh support would be bigger.

If you measured the support based on singing during the anthem itself and for most of the game Wales were relatively quiet. Only started to hear them in the last 20 minutes.

Many more Aussies at the England vs Australia than Welshmen for England vs Wales.

I am just estimating of course but wouldn't surprise me if there were 15-20k Aussies.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:09 am

beshocked wrote: Expected 20k before the game but wouldn't surprise me if it was just 5k

Well I was not at the stadium, but from watching the game on tele, there were massive amounts of red in the stadium, and although 20k Welsh fans were reported to be there, it has been said that there were a lot more than that there.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:41 am

Lorddowlais I was there and I didn't see that many. If there were 20k then they were pretty quiet - the national anthem was a clear indicator in my opinion.

Weren't many Welsh fans in close vicinity either. I personally thought the noise level of Welsh fans was low which surprised me.

Also before and after the game I didn't see anything to suggest there was as many as 20k.

I compare this to the Australian fans who I thought brought much more support than the Welsh fans.

I could well be wrong, perhaps there were 20k Welsh fans there, I just personally didn't see much evidence of that.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:44 am

beshocked wrote:Lorddowlais I was there and I didn't see that many. If there were 20k then they were pretty quiet - the national anthem was a clear indicator in my opinion.

Weren't many Welsh fans in close vicinity either. I personally thought the noise level of Welsh fans was low which surprised me.

Also before and after the game I didn't see anything to suggest there was as many as 20k.

I compare this to the Australian fans who I thought brought much more support than the Welsh fans.

I could well be wrong, perhaps there were 20k Welsh fans there, I just personally didn't see much evidence of that.

The supporters village was also a sell out as well, so there must have been a few over there.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:44 am

By all accounts 25 Million Japanese tuned in to watch them play after the SA victory so that sort of puts the rest in the shade

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down