The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Priestland to take a break?

+19
BamBam
beshocked
Heaf
rodders
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
InjuredYetAgain
Shifty
Knowsit17
mikey_dragon
HammerofThunor
Seagultaf
maestegmafia
fa0019
RubyGuby
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
offload
23 posters

Go down

Priestland to take a break? Empty Priestland to take a break?

Post by offload Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:13 am

BBC is reporting that Priestland has decided to take an 18 month "break" from international rugby to concentrate on new club Bath. Ford is saying he will stay with Bath whilst Ford junior is on international duty.

Seems like an odd decision - has it been reported elsewhere?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Priestland to take a break? Empty Re: Priestland to take a break?

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:27 am

Yeah it's been reported and seems to be true, I guess it was part of the deal he signed and given the Poopie he has taken on various forms of social media who can blame him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:53 am

I hope it is a decision taken by Priestland without any prompting from Bath.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:58 am

Let's see how strong Gatland is now with his favourite. This should signal the end of his Wales career and I'd like to hear what Gats has to say about it having listened to his ramblings regarding Faletau and Bath. Rhys has made the decision and good luck to him

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:06 am

Good for wales IMO. Good player, great skills... but his negativity drowns his teams. Wales' Charlie Hodgson, Stephen Donald, Dan Parks... has a "why always me" tag written all over him.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:08 am

I don't like this one bit. 

It would certainly have seemed a lot less dubious if Priestland had announced a sabatical rather than his coach's statement.

I think their should be an enquiry. 

There have been far too many cases where players sign with clubs in England and France who are reluctant to allow that players availability at international level to continue.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:11 am

I'm with you Maesteg - I think the way this has come out will backfire on Rhys which is a shame. It's for Rhys to give his reasons not the coach and he would have known this before the RWC. Just say you've had enough Rhys and go and enjoy your next chapter you've served Wales well but your frailties were exposed and everyone apart from Gatland coulda see that

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:16 am

Whats to investigate though? If Priestland knowingly signed the contract it's up to him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:18 am

There's nothing to investigate not sure what that's about. My beef is Gatland treating players differently with veiled threats to Talupe and a red carpet and sympathy for Rhys who does not seem to have the appetite for Wales anymore

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:40 am

Let's be honest if he says he wont be available for 18 months then he might as well retire from International rugby.  He will be nearly 30 by then anyway and if his contract states no International rugby for 18 months then Gatland wont be able to pick him anyway even if he wants to.

Isn't it similar to what Carter done a few years back by taking a sabbatical in France?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 25 Oct 2015, 9:14 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Whats to investigate though?  If  Priestland knowingly signed the contract it's up to him.

I believe it's against IRB rules for a club to restrain a player from representing his country. We know it goes on though, usually involving players from the smaller nations, but it's the first time I am aware this has happened to a Wales player.

Strange announcement made by the coach (and father ot Baths other 10) on behalf of the club. Not sure how much choice Priestland has had in this matter?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:31 am

I'm not sure there is anything contractual with Bath? It's not clear. Does he have the usual release clauses or did Bath force his hand?

If he has any ambition to one day return to international rugby, I hope he agreed in advance with the selectors his declared 18 month break.

All a bit odd.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:44 am

You can't be stopped from playing International rugby by a contract (at least a rugby one). If a player is called up but refuses because they've 'retired', it's a relatively big deal and you have sign a declaration. Then you can't play internationally in the next 12 months, unless you get World Rugby's approval.

Clearly what's happened here is Bath have said "we need cover for when Ford is on international duty" Preistland then said either "No probs" or "hmmm. I don't want to give up on my ... How much are offering? No probs"

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

Surely though we have all signed contracts with various T&Cs in them, if Priestland didn't like the T&Cs of this one then he didn't have to sign it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

I'd imagine if Biggar gets injured then Priestland would make a remarkable u-turn, I remember he said something during the world cup along the lines of "it doesn't matter how I play we all know who'll get picked for the big games". I've never rated the guy as a player but he seems to be completely deluded as to his rugby ability, Biggar on the other hand is quality and Matthew Morgan has a spark that excites and Rhys Patchell has potential so losing a lump like Priestland isn't all that important, I still don't like the idea of taking a break from rugby if I were Gatland I'd make his break permanent.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 1:01 pm

That's the whole point though if Priestalnd has willingly signed a contract saying he unavailable to Wales for 18 months he cant do a u -turn or he will be in breach of contract.

As for Matthew Morgan I would have kittens everytime if he was to play 10 for Wales he would get smashed constantly, plus I think he needs to be playing higher level than Championship.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 25 Oct 2015, 1:08 pm

I'm saying the World Rugby regulations specifically state that players cannot contacted to not play international rugby. If they are it's a breach of the regulations, just like doping or fielding ineligible players is. Any club attempting to enforce these would be heavily sanctioned.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 25 Oct 2015, 1:52 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Let's see how strong Gatland is now with his favourite. This should signal the end of his Wales career and I'd like to hear what Gats has to say about it having listened to his ramblings regarding Faletau and Bath. Rhys has made the decision and good luck to him

thumbsup

Pretty much. But if he was that highly valued then he would have had more game time. Like I said elsewhere it's good for us IMO, so long as Biggar, Patchell and Anscombe are fit.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 25 Oct 2015, 1:57 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Yeah it's been reported and seems to be true, I guess it was part of the deal he signed and given the Poopie he has taken on various forms of social media who can blame him.

If his decision was prompted by something on social media then you have to seriously question the psychology of the player.

bedfordwelsh wrote:Let's be honest if he says he wont be available for 18 months then he might as well retire from International rugby.  He will be nearly 30 by then anyway and if his contract states no International rugby for 18 months then Gatland wont be able to pick him anyway even if he wants to.

Isn't it similar to what Carter done a few years back by taking a sabbatical in France?

I think you're onto something there - given his capabilities and limitations now how can we be sure it will be different in 18 months time?

I don't think it's similar to what Carter did. I mean the guy is the world's best player and in high demand. Seems he was able to fit it in without it interrupting his ABs career due to the different seasons, plus he was further prompted to do so by sponsorship, etc. I think he has owned a clothing store in France ever since. Unfortunately for Perpignan he only managed a handful of games. McCaw had a sabbatical but that was time off from rugby in order to prolong his career I think? Where as Priestland seems to be, as you suggest, unofficially retiring from international rugby.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 2:17 pm

Good for all parties involved. Priestland's services are not required by Wales, no matter what Gatland seems to think.

Now if only Hook would join him in retiring... Whistle

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 2:24 pm

[quote="mikey_dragon"]
bedfordwelsh wrote:Yeah it's been reported and seems to be true, I guess it was part of the deal he signed and given the Poopie he has taken on various forms of social media who can blame him.

If his decision was prompted by something on social media then you have to seriously question the psychology of the player.

We all know he is a confidence player but come on some of the stuff that has been written about him and now Cuthbert has gone way beyond criticism of their performances and who wouldn't try to move on get away from it call it what you want if they were constantly abused like these two have.

There has been a big upsurge in cyber bullying and the affects it can have on people and how they should report it etc, are those rules regulations any different because someone is a high profile individual?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 25 Oct 2015, 2:46 pm

Yes there has been a lot of unnecessary stuff written. With Priestland it resulted from being a favourite and getting selected despite his form. Cuthbert was picked out of being the only last resort so not really his fault - that said I can understand the frustrations from fans. Also I am not so sure a move to Bath will end any of that seeing as the internet is kind of everywhere... BTW if you are a 'confidence player' then surely you aren't a capable professional? Just my take on it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yes there has been a lot of unnecessary stuff written. With Priestland it resulted from being a favourite and getting selected despite his form. Cuthbert was picked out of being the only last resort so not really his fault - that said I can understand the frustrations from fans. Also I am not so sure a move to Bath will end any of that seeing as the internet is kind of everywhere... BTW if you are a 'confidence player' then surely you aren't a capable professional? Just my take on it.

This.

We need to do away with the culture of selecting players who only excel when everything is going their way. We need a squad that can consistently stand up to pressure on the big occasions. Players like Warburton, Faletau, AW Jones, Biggar etc show this consistency more often than not. Priestland, on the other hand, could hardly be further from this category.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:03 pm

Good to luck to him, I think it's best all round most of the Welsh public has lost all confidence in him so a break is probably best for all.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:30 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Yes there has been a lot of unnecessary stuff written. With Priestland it resulted from being a favourite and getting selected despite his form. Cuthbert was picked out of being the only last resort so not really his fault - that said I can understand the frustrations from fans. Also I am not so sure a move to Bath will end any of that seeing as the internet is kind of everywhere... BTW if you are a 'confidence player' then surely you aren't a capable professional? Just my take on it.

This.

We need to do away with the culture of selecting players who only excel when everything is going their way. We need a squad that can consistently stand up to pressure on the big occasions. Players like Warburton, Faletau, AW Jones, Biggar etc show this consistency more often than not. Priestland, on the other hand, could hardly be further from this category.

Good point, and one that I agree with. Sadly I don't think North or Cuthbert fall into the big occasions category either, though there was a time when both did!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 25 Oct 2015, 7:46 pm

Even though it doesn't directly affect Scotland, I share other's concerns. We are, sadly, used to PI players being <ahem> encouraged to end their international careers by French clubs but, if he was lent on (but appreciating that he still had the final say in whether or not to sign the contract), it is a worrying precedent for a Tier 1 country's player

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:25 pm

That's sort of my way of thinking, he didn't have to sign the contract.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:39 pm

The worrying aspect from an English perspective is that a team who are cheating are doing this rather than develop another English ten. When I see Saracens drop Itoje, who fans were calling for to be in the wc squad, from the side altogether its worrying to think the cheats may be stockpiling players to stop others having them.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:50 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:That's sort of my way of thinking, he didn't have to sign the contract.

I don't think the IRB would allow a don't play for your country clause in a contract, I suspect it's that he has been leant on by Bath to make sure they get their pound of flesh during the 6n when Ford is likely to be away with England.

Still a lot of Priestland trolling going on today but I thought he looked good when on the field during the World Cup, particularly against England because when he came on and took over at 10 I think everyone thought Wales World Cup was already over!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 25 Oct 2015, 9:46 pm

Again though he didn't have to sign it if he didn't want to, lent on or not.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 25 Oct 2015, 10:29 pm

I keep saying, it doesn't matter what he signed.

World Rugby Regulations wrote:9.3 No Union, Association, Rugby Body or Club whether by contract, conduct or otherwise may inhibit, prevent, discourage, disincentivise or render unavailable any Player from selection, attendance and appearance in a National Representative Team or National Squad session when such request for selection, attendance and appearance is made in accordance with the provisions of this Regulation 9

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:45 am

Its all part of an evil conspiracy to buy off the Welsh team one player at a time picard

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:52 am

Hmm seems a bit suspicious this is timed with Falataus move to the premiership.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:52 am

HammerofThunor wrote:I keep saying, it doesn't matter what he signed.

World Rugby Regulations wrote:9.3 No Union, Association, Rugby Body or Club whether by contract, conduct or otherwise may inhibit, prevent, discourage, disincentivise or render unavailable any Player from selection, attendance and appearance in a National Representative Team or National Squad session when such request for selection, attendance and appearance is made in accordance with the provisions of this Regulation 9

What makes you think Bath care about rules? Run

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:03 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:The worrying aspect from an English perspective is that a team who are cheating are doing this rather than develop another English ten. When I see Saracens drop Itoje, who fans were calling for to be in the wc squad, from the side altogether its worrying to think the cheats may be stockpiling players to stop others having them.

no 7 & 1/2

Itoje misses one game against Gloucester and it's supposedly the end of the world? He was made captain against Sale, we don't know if he picked up a knock or injury vs Sale. I hope it was the former. As for stopping other players having Itoje - he's an academy product of Saracens.

Priestland can help Ford develop as a 10, a more experienced 10 who has won a GS and helped his team to a RWC semi and quarter in respective tournaments. Should help the youngster with his belief and vital experience.

People bash Priestland but he's been a pretty successful 10.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:08 am

It's worrying beshocked. Maybe I've bought into the hype but I was expecting him to be in the team. Maybe he's still developing and not as far on as I thought.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:13 am

Hahaha. Priestland develop Ford as a 10 Laugh picard picard

He'll be good cover, but thats laughable. Incidentally, Bath have a young Eng u20s 10 (Jennings?) who could get some game time as Ford cover

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:20 am

I really hope some of Priestland's "Belief" rubs off on Ford as he's quite a talented young outside half. As much as everyone likes to malign Farrell as a 10, some of his DNA would have turned Priestland into a top class outside half.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:38 am

no 7 & 1/2 can't write him off after he missed just one game.

Bambam is it laughable? Priestland has won a GS and has a better record in the RWC than Ford. Don't get me wrong I think Ford is a great young talent but he needs to work on his belief. Could have done with Ford closing out the game in the RWC vs Wales, yes he had a poor centre partnership to work with but a 10 needs to be able to step up in the face of adversity. Priestland in comparison when he came on.... cool as a cucumber in a patchwork backline.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:50 am

Not writing Itoje off at all quality player. My worry is that his development will be slowed due to the players in front of him. I think most knew it would be hard for him to establish himself in the Saracens squad. His chance will be to cover injuries to lock and 6 probably but again don't think he's going to benefit long term being shifted positions.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:56 am

As I understand it, the reason Priestland was signed for Bath in the first place was that he wasn't happy with his treatment in Wales by certain sections of the media/fans. In my opinion, for what its worth, I think he will do very well at Bath being outside the Welsh goldfish bowl.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:59 am

Why on earth are you talking about Itoje on a Priestland thread? I didn't start this.

He misses one game and you're writing him off. Don't jump the gun - let's see what happens. You talk about establishing himself - he did that last season. He was captain in the first game of this season and he needs to establish himself? Rubbish. Mccall wouldn't do that if Itoje was just going to be a bit part player. He wouldn't have picked him in the latter stages of last season if he was just going to be discarded.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 12:03 pm

Well it links to what we've seen in the Barclays Premiership where Chelsea, man U and City buy up talent and they don't end up utilised enough. It links in for me. You end up with players who would walk into other sides not even making the bench. It should be a worry for this Premiership but appears not to be the case. There were injuries around the Saracens squad last year and thats when Itoje got his chance, now back to full strength we see him dropping down the pecking order. We also see farrell being shunted out to centre as well. I'd just like to see quality players getting played. I can see more and more for Bath and Saracens players being bought for cover like this. Money talks.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Oct 2015, 12:19 pm

"Re: Priestland to take a break?"

18 months seems a long time. Wouldn't it have been better if he'd just had a Kit Kat?

Discuss?

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 26 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm

no 7 & 1/2 this is not the Barclays Premiership and Saracens usage of young English talent is far better than that of the likes of Chelsea,Man U and City.

Itoje is not a bought talent - he's an academy product.

Mccall could have started Wray but chose to play Itoje instead. He's a 20 year old whose been in big games already and you're worried about his lack of gametime? Picked as captain in the first match and he's being under utilised? As I said - he might have picked up a knock against Sale, if he doesn't feature in the next game you might have a point but we'll see.

Don't see you blaming England for not trying him yet Saracens don't pick him in the 2nd match of the season and he's not being used enough?

Of course I want to see Itoje get as much gametime as possible but I don't know if he is fully fit.

As for Farrell, Taylor and Barritt, are both injured hence why Farrell was shunted to 12, I disliked it too but after analysing the situation I see why it had to be done.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

Dropped when all the choices are available. It's a shame but that's what will happen.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Mon 26 Oct 2015, 2:25 pm

Seems like a really nice bloke and best of luck to him. That said, I don't think the Scarlets or Wales will miss him.

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 27 Oct 2015, 7:30 pm

Sounds like a euphemism to me, but there we are.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 31 Oct 2015, 7:59 pm

GavCanDance wrote:Seems like a really nice bloke and best of luck to him.  That said, I don't think the Scarlets or Wales will miss him.

The Scarlets have now won 10 games in a row in the Pro 12, the last 6 without Priestland, however he played a really big part in the first 4.

However despite dominating matches they are struggling to score try's and IMO that's where they are already missing an experienced 10 like Priestland.

As for Wales Biggar is no 1 choice, but Priesland had a good World Cup and played well when on the field, particularly when he took over at 10 against England. He certainly played a part in Wales coming from behind to win that game having just lost three key players.

How much he will be missed will depend on how the remaining candidates at 10 at both the Scarlets and Wales develop. There are rumours that Patchell will be at PYS next season, and I would like to see him in the Wales set up as the alternatives (Hook, Anscombe and Morgan) have done nothing to suggest that they have what it takes to play at 10 for Wales.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 31 Oct 2015, 8:39 pm

I think Priestland is a good player and likely the change of scenery will help him a bit.  

Of course, Bath is not far from home, and it's a pretty town with some cute uni girls.  
But on the other hand, their ownership are spawn of the devil, and there might be no return.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down