The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight training and Golf

4 posters

Go down

Weight training and Golf Empty Weight training and Golf

Post by The_Phenom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

Before I went to uni I was a massive golfer and was the only sport I played and committed myself to. During my three years I stopped playing golf and started hitting the weights at the gym and put about two stone on within those 3 years. However I recently started playing golf again and noticed a quite significant loss in flexibilty in my backswing. Now i'm back into golf heavily I have stopped lifting weights and just do cardio at the gym.

Is there any way you can workout with weights and increase muscle mass without losing flexibilty?

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Weight training and Golf Empty Re: Weight training and Golf

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

Your best bet is high rep/lower weight stuff mate. Lean muscle, in other words.

I assume you have been doing bulking work over the last few years then, if it is affecting your flexibility?

Try 3 sets of 12-15 reps or something along those lines on a lighter weight, and mix that in with bodyweight exercises such as pressups, chinups, dips etc.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

Yeah my shoulders and lats have bulked up a lot in the last year and that's why i'm finding it harder to rotate in the swing. I've started to do boxing three times a week so we do lots of circuit training including bodyweight exercises etc. Hopefully I can drop some weight and maintain my lean muscle whilst loosening up my shoulders. I need to find a good balance of muscle mass and flexibilty.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

Yeah boxing should help a lot.

Don't overdo it on the calorie front either, as that will just assist with further bulking, so try and keep some control in regard to those.

A mixture of cardio, circuits, high rep/low weight workouts, along with lean meats etc in your diet should help to build lean muscle.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

Hi Phenom,

I'm so excited to see this part of the forum being used, at last.

I could talk about weight training all day....it's one of my biggest passions in life : )

I'm really busy right now and am getting ready to go away for the weekend (doing Taijiquan.....btw that would help your flexibility....see my tai chi threads in martial arts)

Hopefully this part of the forum will get busy, now that you and Fists have started posting on it : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

I used to play golf and had the same problem.....especially if I had a chest or shoulder workout the day before....Used to find I didn't complete the swing and would slice it off far right...

To be honest I wasn't a""ed as weight training is more important to me...

Maybe take some of the advice offered if it means that much to you.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down