The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 days to go

+7
Boston Exile
Rava
MBTGOG
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

100 days to go Empty 100 days to go

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 2 Jun - 8:45

Unashamedly ripped off from Planet Rugby, they've made a stab at selecting the starting XVs of the bigger nations:

With just 100 days to go until the World Cup kicks-off in New Zealand, Planet Rugby decided this was the perfect time to throw on its selection cap.

The excitement is building in the proud rugby country as IRB Vice Chairman Bill Beaumont declares preparations are right on track.

Beaumont on Wednesday joined New Zealand Prime Minister the Rt Hon John Key in celebrating the milestone at a special ceremony in the capital city of Wellington. The event included a symbolic rolling out of a giant welcome mat on Parliament's steps featuring greetings in the language of each of the 20 participating nations.

"Kiwis are renowned for their hospitality and the giant welcome mat summed up to me the warmth of the welcome New Zealanders up and down the land will be extending to teams and more than 85,000 fans in 100 days' time," said Beaumont.

"Preparations are well on track. Tomorrow, I will visit the magnificent fully enclosed Otago Stadium which will be handed over to Tournament Organisers in August as planned. All other stadia redevelopments have been completed on time, match day preparations are well advanced and I know teams will be well looked after so I have no doubt the platform has been laid for an excellent Tournament."

Excitement indeed...

So with time fast running out - if not already - for players to stake a claim in their respective country's 30-man squad, we've put together a few line-ups that we think will do the business come September. Remember, this is done on form alone!

Argentina: 15 Martin Rodriguez, 14 Horacio Agulla, 13 Gonzalo Tiesi, 12 Marcelo Bosch, 11 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, 10 Felipe Contepomi, 9 Nicolas Vergallo, 8 Juan Fernandez Lobbe, 7 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 6 Genaro Fessia, 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Mariano Galarza, 3 Martin Scelzo, 2 Mario Ledesma, 1 Rodrigo Roncero.
Not considered due to injury: Juan Martin Hernandez.

Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 James O'Connor, 13 Digby Ioane, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Cameron Shepherd, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 David Pocock, 6 Scott Higginbotham, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sam Wykes, 3 James Slipper, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.
Not considered due to injury: Rocky Elsom, Wycliff Palu, Drew Mitchell, Salesi Ma'afu, Huia Edmonds, Rod Davies.

England: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Matt Banahan, 11 Mark Cueto, 10 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Danny Care, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Lewis Moody, 6 Tom Wood, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Courtney Lawes, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Dylan Hartley, 1 Matt Stevens.
Not considered due to injury: Andrew Sheridan, Riki Flutey.

France: 15 Cédric Heymans, 14 Vincent Clerc, 13 David Marty, 12 Maxime Mermoz, 11 Maxime Médard, 10 François Trinh-Duc, 9 Morgan Parra, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Imanol Harinordoquy, 6 Thierry Dusautoir, 5 Lionel Nallet, 4 Julien Pierre, 3 Nicolas Mas, 2 William Servat, 1 Sylvain Marconnet.
Not considered due to injury: Aurélien Rougerie, Thomas Domingo.

Ireland: 15 Felix Jones, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Luke Fitzgerald, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Eoin Reddan, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 David Wallace, 6 Sean O'Brien, 5 Leo Cullen, 4 Paul O'Connell, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy.
Not considered due to injury: Rob Kearney, Jerry Flannery, Stephen Ferris.

New Zealand: 15 Mils Muliana, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 Brad Thorn, 4 Jarrad Hoeata, 3 Ben Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Wyatt Crockett.
Not considered due to injury: Sam Whitelock, Isaia Toeava, Israel Dagg, Sean Maitland.

Scotland: 15 Rory Lamont, 14 Joe Ansbro, 13 Max Evans, 12 Sean Lamont, 11 Chris Paterson, 10 Ruaridh Jackson, 9 Rory Lawson, 8 Kelly Brown, 7 John Barclay, 6 Nathan Hines, 5 Alastair Kellock, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Allan Jacobsen.
Not considered due to injury: n/a

South Africa: 15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Patrick Lambie, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Andries Bekker, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Not considered due to injury: Fourie du Preez, Jannie du Plessis, Gurthro Steenkamp, Heinrich Brussouw, Juan Smith

Wales: 15 James Hook, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 Jamie Roberts, 12 Jonathan Davies, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Ryan Jones, 7 Sam Warburton, 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Alun-Wyn Jones, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Iestyn Thomas.
Not considered due to injury: Lee Byrne, Gethin Jenkins.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

100 days to go Empty Re: 100 days to go

Post by red_stag Thu 2 Jun - 8:51

They have made some bold calls which I am glad to see but I'd be surprised if they got many spot on.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 2 Jun - 8:54

I'm not entirely sure we can expect that Scotland team anyway and there are few dubious ones in the others. I'll give my impressions of what I think the Scotland team will look like and leave the others to criticize their own teams.

1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Cross (Murray's Sunday thing I think will be very detrimental)
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Brown
7 Barclay
8. Beattie

9. Lawson (Cusiter I'm not 100% convinced will have had enough game time)
10. Jackson
11. Evans
12. S. Lamont
13. Ansbro
14. R. Lamont
15. Patterson

I also reckon Mossy is in with an outside chance of making the captaincy too, especialy considering the strength and depth we have in the second row. If I were AR I would not want to give the captaincy to a player in a berth with such huge ammounts of competition.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 2 Jun - 9:47

Some pretty odd decisions in those teams, particularly Scotland.

Euan Murray the form tighthead (surely Cross. Murray for me is better, but if picking on form, Cross should get the nod)?

Kelly Brown the form 8 (I know Beattie has been injured, but if going purely on form, then Denton would probably get the nod at 8, or Hogg. Brown isn't an 8, only really cover there)?

Hines the form 6 (Really? Even if you allow Brown at 8, surely Strokosch is playing better as a 6 than Hines, who isn't a 6. Strokosch was outstanding in the Aviva Playoff semi final I thought)?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 2 Jun - 9:50

fES, yes there are funny decisions but a lot of thought has actually gone into this I would say. Its by no means jazy journalism which is rare in squad selections.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 2 Jun - 10:04

Well I'll happily confess that there are a few names picked in some of the SH sides that I'm not overly familiar with, which probably suggests some decent research has gone into this. I do watch the SH stuff on Saturday mornings sometimes but certainly not every week.

Don't know much about the 15 they've picked for South Africa, I've never rated Cameron Shepherd particularly highly, is Ben Smith really the best winger the All Blacks have and do France really want Imanol packing down at 7?

From an Irish perspective, is Fitzgerald really the form winger in Ireland? Is Hook the form fullback in Wales?

All I know is that for the NH sides for which I am familiar with, the selections look odd in places. Happy to be told that the SH are a little better.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 2 Jun - 10:07

Stag,

I'd say a lot of thought went into some sides and some not so much.

Like for instance how is Bustos Moyano not been selected on the Argentine wing after he has helped lead Montpol to a surprise Top 14 final appearance not ahead of Amorisino who hasn't started for Leicester in I don't know how long.

Or Luke Fitzgerald ahead of Earls?

When's the last time Mermoz even played?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 2 Jun - 10:08

No and no to Hook and Fitzgerald. But you know what I'm happy to see some scope for discussion. Fitz hasn't been as bad as his critics make out but Earls and Horgan would be in better form.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 2 Jun - 10:20

Excited already, some fantastic line-ups. I know these won't be the final teams but there are so many players there that I can't wait to see performing on the biggest stage.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 2 Jun - 10:27

What would have been really good journalism is if they could have put down sides from nations outside of the Top 10.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 2 Jun - 10:35

Looks like a job for you then Munsty Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Jun - 11:39

If Byrne was injured then sadly Hook would play 15. That's always been Gatland's way. I don't think Iestyn Thomas will get selected over Paul James either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Thu 2 Jun - 14:59

Hines or Hamilton into 2nd row, probably in place of Kellock. Brown to 6 with Beattie or Denton at 8, or else Strokosch comes in at 6 and leave Brown at 8. Evans and Ansbro switch positions. Cusiter captain and starts if fit, with Lawson as VC. Cross in place of Murray for Sunday games.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 2 Jun - 15:47

Boston,
agree with exception of the lock places. Richie Gray and Al Kellock have an excellent understanding at 4/5 so leave Nate Hines as an impact player - he has had a long season after all and is the elder statesman of the team at 34. Ok!
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 2 Jun - 15:50

Boston,

should have added - what you doing up in the middle of the night ?!!! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 2 Jun - 15:57

Countdown to RWC 2011 Magazine OK

http://asp-uk.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=582/619/1790&lng=en
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Fri 3 Jun - 4:13

21stCSM, Not exactly middle of the night, normally post -5 hours GMT, one week a month it's -8 hours GMT, but when I'm travelling it can be all over the clock as I'm often a poor sleeper when on the road. Live on adrenalin and gin.

With regard to the locks, I'll stand by having big Nathan there. I think many know how much I rate Kellock's lineout ability and admire his captaincy. He needs ballast though to balance his lack of density so Hamilton or Hines are required. Gray has still to fill out and will get stronger, he may even turn into our best lock since Gordon Brown, time will tell.

Short answer though is Hines & Gray are first choice for me. But when discussing the back 5 it is an area of strength that AR has some leeway in. I'm much more interested in getting the midfield correct, sorting the front row form and ensuring a fit Rory Lamont shows up. That's what'll decide how well we go, I'm confident there are a load of good permutations in the back 5.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 3 Jun - 11:26

I'm with you Boston on the locks. For once we have the strength to simply pick on form, and Hines and Gray have both had excellent seasons.

I also agree on Rory Lamont. CP needs to play the big games to kick the point - Jackson's kicking isn't international standard yet - but in terms of scoring the 4 tries we need to in order to accumulate the bonus point against Romania at the very least, and hopefully Georgia as well, then I'd like to see Rory Lamont getting some time at 15.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 3 Jun - 13:00

I think we are all in agreement Rory Lamont when on form and fully fit is almost cetainly the best option at 15, but to perhaps make up for Jackson's shortcomings as far as kicking is concerned perhaps we could shift Patterson onto a wing.

For all we know Max Evans may get a criminal record and be unable to travel to New Zealand anyway........
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 3 Jun - 14:18

Having a criminal record has never stopped us sending people to New Zealand in the past.....

Not a fan of Paterson on the wing personally. His performances were very good at 15 in the 6 Nations and for the big games I'd leave him there.

Danielli should play on one wing, and if Evans can't play on the other for whatever reason, I'd put either Rory Lamont or Sean Lamont on the other, and if the latter, have Morrison back in at 12.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 3 Jun - 14:25

funnyExiledScot wrote:Having a criminal record has never stopped us sending people to New Zealand in the past.....

Not a fan of Paterson on the wing personally. His performances were very good at 15 in the 6 Nations and for the big games I'd leave him there.

Danielli should play on one wing, and if Evans can't play on the other for whatever reason, I'd put either Rory Lamont or Sean Lamont on the other, and if the latter, have Morrison back in at 12.

Do we have an extradition treaty with NZ? If not, can we send wee Maxy out there now, and worry about the rest in say November? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 3 Jun - 14:46

......or just leave him out there and not worry about it at all now he's leaving our shores to go to Castres!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 3 Jun - 16:02

Its interesting they have Felix Jones at FB for Ireland. In fact, its a wonder they even heard of him at this stage. It will be Kearney.

It is great to be talking about this now the all the NH seasons are near over. TOP14 Final yet to go.

As,
You could do a weekly countdown to it, to see how many of the team choices were right, wrong or mad in the 1st place. Also a good place to put all our countries updates in, as they unfold. Just a thought.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 3 Jun - 16:04

Gibson wrote:
It is great to be talking about this now the all the NH seasons are near over. TOP14 Final yet to go.

Great comment by Francois Trinh Duc. Making the Top 14 final has meant more to him than winning the Six Nations Grandslam as it is with his true team, Montpellier. Mick the Chef would agree. So would I OK
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 4 Jun - 17:57

Can`t wait for 2012,when the circus is over,all those defecting have gone conrtacts signed and forget it for another 4 years.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down