The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two days away and not much talk about Froch?

+14
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
BALTIMORA
Mr Bounce
coxy0001
eddyfightfan
GeoffSnapes
Mind the windows Tino.
Sir. badgerhands
Scottrf
Rowley
Fists of Fury
DoubleD22
Union Cane
Michaels, Sean
18 posters

Go down

Two days away and not much talk about Froch? Empty Two days away and not much talk about Froch?

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:01 am

On the old 606 (and now here) a lot of boxing enthusiasts are quick to point out that Froch gets little exposure and is not well known to the general public. That said the boards here are clogged with articles about Khan Judah, Haye Klitschko and Hall of Fame inductees. I think there have been 2 articles in the past week or so on Froch and neither specifically referring to the upocoming Johnson fight. This fight is a shoot out to decide who gets through to possibly the biggest fight of 2011 and it involves an Englishman!

What is the issue? Personally he is my favourite fighter since Eubank. Tough, sometimes crude, but 90% of the time entertaining. Unfortunatley he doesn't seem to inspire the masses, and quite clearly the enthusiasts on 606v2. Imagine an upcoming Calzaghe, Hatton fight? We'd be into our 100th article by this stage......
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Two days away and not much talk about Froch? Empty Re: Two days away and not much talk about Froch?

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

The fact Carl seems to be ignored I think is mostly down to jealousy.

It shouldn't be like that though, the situation should give hope to a lot of the guys on here.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Two days away and not much talk about Froch? Empty Re: Two days away and not much talk about Froch?

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

Just find it wierd that 606'ers aren't really getting stuck in to this one. Is it because Johnson isn't rated as an opponent? People have their eyes on a Ward match up.......
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

Great point Sean,

this is a massive fight for froch a man who i would say is the best in the uk at the momment. In terms of the people he has beat the opposition he has fought he certainly deserves more credit. I can see a hard fought UD for him against Johnson and then hopefully people will get talking with the finale coming up!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

The fact that the fight will be on in the middle of the night probably doesn't help either.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:14 am

What time does it all get started Union?

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:22 am

Probably a combo of Johnson being a bit of a journeyman (albeit a very good fighter), the fight being on in the middle of the nights, and the general expectation that Froch should cruise home.

I will certainly be recording it though, thoroughly enjoy watching Carl's fights and look forward with anticipation to a bout with Ward.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:24 am

DoubleD22 wrote:What time does it all get started Union?

The program starts at 10:30, but I wouldn't expect the warriors to the ring until maybe 2-3 in the morning.

I haven't stayed up that late for a long time.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:25 am

Cheers mate,

might stick that on eon record till the morning i think!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

where is Atlantic City? I had a feeling this might be a midnight-ish job?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

Carl is my favourite fighter at the minute and so I am happy to talk about him. The run he is on currently is pretty much without compare, certainly in the modern era amongst British fighters, his last five opponents have been current, present or future world champions. Add into this a good number of these fights have been overseas and there is so much to admire in his approach to the game.

As for the fight have a lot of time for Johnson but have to back Carl, think he reminded everyone he has decent technique and ability in the Abraham fight and if he can utilise his reach and set a pace in this fight struggle to see Johnson being able to live with him because whilst Johnson is a decent fighter the Green fight probably flatters him as Green is a bit all mouth no trousers and at 42 have to think against a busy strong fighter like Carl the pace will begin to show down the stretch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:28 am

Sean it is on the east coast so should be on a bit earlier than the Vegas fights

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

They are 5 hours behind us, so a 9pm start there would be 2am here.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:34 am

rowley wrote:Sean it is on the east coast so should be on a bit earlier than the Vegas fights

Just googled it. Eastern Time Zone is 5 hours behind, Vegas 8 hours. With our clocks going back I reckon it will be 1am.

Note to all broadcasters - PUBLISH A F-ING ESTIMATED START TIME ON YOUR SCHEDULES!!!!!!!
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:43 am

I already did an article on this fight, granted it was on 3 others too but have given my prediction. Big Froch fan.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:10 am

It's always a mystery to me why Froch hasn't had more acclaim.

But I do also think his been slightly unlucky.

He seemed to get some attention after the Taylor fight (albeit not much) and then was unlucky to have to fight Dirrell.

Dirrell of course tried his hardest to back-pedal into the front row of seats thus making an ugly fight.

The Kessler fight was a corker but left a slightly bad taste with Froch moaning about hometown decisions.

All those things, together with his woeful promotion team helped to turn a few of the casual fans off in my opinion.

Which is a shame because his a cracking fighter and deserves more support.

I also wouldn't be too shocked if he beats Johnson and Ward (who I feel is overated).

Would also like to bash Carl's Mrs. backdoors in.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

Sean, well done for getting an article up here today then.

I am with the majority here and have to say, Froch is a fantastic fighter and just about my favourite Brit around at the moment. I would certainly rather watch him than Khan/Haye/Burns, not to say I don't rate them as fighters, I just love Carl's attitude and appreciate his skills.

He really is teak tough and genuinely willing to fight anyone. As Rowley has alluded too, his run of fights has been nothing short of sensational, and I hope he gets all the accolades that come his way. Breath of fresh air.

Sir Badgerhands wrote "Would also like to bash Carl's Mrs. backdoors in."

Breaking and entering? That's illegal you know.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:38 am

Carl seems to get a really poor deal from the media. There was a large article about him in a newspaper the other day. However, it had only a line about his upcoming fight with Johnson. instead it went on about him training with the Olympic amateur boxers and the advice he is giving them. Hope he puts in a great perfomance on Sky and gets the coverage he deserves.

Boxing Fitness

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:39 am

i think maybe the super 6 is responsible for lack of interest. we've known who froch is fighting and who he is going to be fighting for a long time and the buzz just dies down anyway. i think alot of fights are built up too much anyways. just look at recent fights with lots of hype, khan mccloskey, degale groves.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Probably a combo of Johnson being a bit of a journeyman (albeit a very good fighter), the fight being on in the middle of the nights, and the general expectation that Froch should cruise home.

I will certainly be recording it though, thoroughly enjoy watching Carl's fights and look forward with anticipation to a bout with Ward.

I think you should maybe take the "journeyman" label back when you consider since he was voted Fighter of the Year in 2004, has been a player around 168-175 ever since and has given Dawson and Cloud (among others) a fair amount to handle - moreso than a journeyman could ever dream of doing.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

Re: Two days away and not much talk about Froch?
by Mind the windows Tino. Today at 10:34 am

------------------------

I see the analogy but i have a feeling this property has been subject to squatters and the like for a good few years. The back door is probably never locked. Slap on the wrist at most.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

If I need anyone to speak on my behalf in court I shall hire your good self Sean.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

He'll surely have too much for Glenn. I sincerely doubt he'll be only the second to stop the Road Warrior though. It's got UD written all over it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Wasn't Johnson losing to Green when he stopped him? I dunno how much bearing that has on this fight, but Froch is better than Green. Just gotta avoid being punched in the back of the head...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:28 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:He'll surely have too much for Glenn. I sincerely doubt he'll be only the second to stop the Road Warrior though. It's got UD written all over it.

I have a bad feeling about the fight but this is tempered by the fact that Clinton Woods was able to draw and defeat Johnson. May have been hometown decisions (haven't seen the fight) but i'm pretty sure Woods is not in the same class as Froch.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Wasn't Johnson losing to Green when he stopped him? I dunno how much bearing that has on this fight, but Froch is better than Green. Just gotta avoid being punched in the back of the head...
On the judges cards, I'm not so sure.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote: Re: Two days away and not much talk about Froch?
by Mind the windows Tino. Today at 10:34 am

------------------------

I see the analogy but i have a feeling this property has been subject to squatters and the like for a good few years. The back door is probably never locked. Slap on the wrist at most.

Just because her backdoor is often unlocked, it doesn't give you the right to enter without her express permission. Perhaps, Sean, you should knock gently on the front door and then, once given the go ahead by Mrs Carl, slip quietly in the backdoor.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:slip quietly in the backdoor.

I very much doubt that there would be anything quiet about it, she strikes me as a bit of a screamer.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

If there is "favorable" judging in this fight, it will be in Froch's favor.

The competition is drawing to a close and the fight everybody wants is Froch vs Ward.

Ward vs Johnson final would be a let down imo.

So as most have said, a Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide UD to the Cobra
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Union Cane wrote:I very much doubt that there would be anything quiet about it, she strikes me as a bit of a screamer.
Clearly you aren't well versed in the manly art.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Union Cane wrote:I very much doubt that there would be anything quiet about it, she strikes me as a bit of a screamer.

What, fencing?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Probably a combo of Johnson being a bit of a journeyman (albeit a very good fighter), the fight being on in the middle of the nights, and the general expectation that Froch should cruise home.

I think you should maybe take the "journeyman" label back when you consider since he was voted Fighter of the Year in 2004, has been a player around 168-175 ever since and has given Dawson and Cloud (among others) a fair amount to handle - moreso than a journeyman could ever dream of doing.

Coxy, I only meant it in the loosest sense, and was only really referring to the last 2 years or so. Johnson was/is a fine fighter, and a credit to the sport. Others could do with being as willing as he is to get fights on, and travel wherever necessary to make sure they happen.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

rowley wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

What, fencing?

Obviously those with a smaller epee probably wouldn't elicit a vocal response from said Mrs Froch, she'd probably not even notice.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

I see Johnson as no more than a gatekeeper really. He poses a question and his fantastic durability is perfect for testin a fighter but he should really pose no major threat to Froch especially at his age now.

What interests me most is the manner in which Froch deals with him and how effective his tactics are. I see Froch coming out on top in whatever manner of fight he chooses to adopt - be a war or be it the jab from the outside tactics we saw against AA. But I expect Johnson to come and apply pressure early on and ask tougher question than AA did so will be interesting to see if Froch sticks to his disciplined "boxing" or whether he will be drawn into a war by the Jamaicans style.

I also think its worth considering that Froch will now be on Sky Sports and I wonder will this play on his mind as he may be desperate to put on a show now that hes finally recieving mainstream coverage? With Johnson pressure style and great chin it could turn into a tasty clash.

But overall Johnson has really become gatekeeper status and the S6 essentially savd his career after it looked like he had nowhere to go at lightheavy.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:39 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

thumbsup well put.

The Road Warrior is legend and am amazed he is still fighting at the top tier, considering his style of fighting!

I think that the lack of interest because we have known about this for a while and is seen by some as a gimme.

I see I Froch win but not a 120 - 108 shutout. More along the lines of 116 - 112. He will be made to work hard for this victory and must not under estimate Johnson. But he has seemed very respectable of Road Warriors abilities so far.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

He got in bed with fat Mick and Sky couldn't fit in after that :P
Sky would have got HBO going crazy over a guy like this like they think Khan is a wet dream :P
However I do feel sorry for Carl in a way, he hasn't made the big time bucks (Although he ain't doing too bad and Rachel Cordingly is like unifying a title anywho) but that's down to no Sky coverage - pure and simple. And it's not like he doesn't go for the biggest and toughest fights out there like Hatton did, the man ducks no one and hasn't gotten his big reward. =/
It's not like the man earns millions against fighters like Audley "Ordinary" A-FARCE Harrison like some boxers do... Rolling Eyes

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

@AlexHuckerby

KHAN ON HBO
VS MALIGNAGGI
An absolute gimmee, never gonna lose, 80/20 fight.

VS MAIDANA
Fair play, quality fight on paper and in the ring

VS JUDAH
Another absolute gimmee in my eyes

FROCH'S FIGHTS
VS PASCAL - ITV1
Best fight i've ever seen in a British ring for a genuine world title, millions watched it, whilst Khan was on box office against Fagan laughing

VS TAYLOR - DELAYED ON ITV1
Froch is outboxed for long spells but underlines his exciting style with a spectacular 12th round stoppage

VS DIRRELL - GRINDS OUT A WIN ON A POOR CHANNEL

VS ABRAHAM - SCHOOLS ABRAHAM IN A 50/50 FIGHT, BOTH COMING IN OFF 1ST DEFEATS

HBO should be snapping him up, fair enough it's a showtime tourney, but look at the gimmee's Khan's having compared to them.

I wish Froch was Irish, we would idolise him because we don't have NO WORLD CLASS current boxer.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:18 am

Don't think this has been posted yet, a 360 "Bonus Feature" about Frochs rather loud and stupidly hot lass:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/167547-video-carl-frochs-significant-other-makes-her-presence-felt

Didn't realise they'd put her RIGHT behind the commo box! We all thought she was mic'd! Nope! They even tell her to take a few steps back at one point!

No bluetits on show either, shame

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:46 am

People can pick Froch's record apart all they choose you can do so with any fighter but for those that chose to would ask them to name any British fighter who has had a better five fight run than Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham. Certainly I can think of none from the modern era and when one considers three of these have been away from home and he has gone 4-1 it is pretty much beyond reproach for me.

The only guy I can think has had better is Jimmy Mclarnin and it is questionable he is even British.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:50 am

Agreed Jeff, fantastic record against some real top tier fighters.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

The criticism of Froch really gets my goat Fists. Realise a lot of fans hold over some residual resentment of his criticism of Calzaghe but for me the things fans commonly ask of fans is to not pursue meaningless belts, not fight gimmes and travel if that is what is needed to make the big fights. Carl does all of these things and still draws criticism, it baffles me. Personally I absolutely love the guys attitude and he is comfortably my favourite current fighter

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

Will Johnson be regarded as continuing the streak against top tier fighters?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:04 am

I wouldn't class Johnson as top tier at this point in his career, but I still think it'd be a very solid win against an extremely tough and experienced fighter. We shouldn't kid ourselves that Johnson is at his peak, but at the same time we shouldn't dismiss the win, should Froch get it, based on Johnson's age, as he has shown time and again that he can still operate at a very high level.

Agree with you Jeff about Froch being a breath of fresh air, and like you he is currently my favourite fighter, alongside David Haye (not to everyones taste, but I like his style both in and out of the ring).

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

JUst read that Froch has spent 3 hours in a US hospital with an ear problem, though it only seems to have been minor, and he says everything is fine now.

He also commented that Johnson may be struggling with the weight, as he saw him running down the beach in a full tracksuit.

Looking forward to this fight, hope to see a solid performance from Carl.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:33 am

I dont think its neccessarily Johnsons age that is the main problem. Its that hes lost nearly all his recent big fights.

He falls into the tough nights work bracket but other than a big year in 2004 hes been pretty patchy overall and has some really poor losses.

His style and durability mean you cant really dismiss him as "easy" but I think its apparent now that a top level fighter should be beating him with no excuses.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:37 am

I think the only reason a lot of people disliked Froch was to do with his calling out and criticising Calzaghe. Calzaghe in turn has been guilty of similar actions. It's part of the business.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:40 am

Very true Balti, Joe used to call the likes of Benn and Collins out relentlessly on his way up and at the time had done little to nothing to deserve such a fight, not a criticism by any stretch, as you rightly say is part of the game but to crticise one whilst giving the other a pass always struck me as a little hypocritical

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:46 am

Froch was also misquoted so often with those Calzaghe quotes. Anytime he spoke the headline would be manipulated into something to do with Calzaghe when the actual gist of what he was saying was reasonable.

He was calling out Calzaghe at a time when Calzaghe was fighting stiffs who were scarcely more deserving than Froch. Mrtchyian, Salem, Viet (plus rematch), Ashira etc. Had Calzaghe actually been taking on the Hopkins and Kesslers sooner then I dont think Froch would neccessarily have had an argument but for a 3 year period while he was Commonwealth champion Calzaghe was fighting nobodies and I think Froch felt he was just as deserving.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down