The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conor O'Shea Turns Down Italy Job

5 posters

Go down

Conor O'Shea Turns Down Italy Job Empty Conor O'Shea Turns Down Italy Job

Post by Notch Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 3:46

Interesting to hear Conor O'Shea was offered the job by the FIR.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/1207/751772-report-conor-oshea-turns-down-italy-job/

It's a bit of a poisoned chalice in my opinion- I can see them finding it hard to get anyone of any quality.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Conor O'Shea Turns Down Italy Job Empty Re: Conor O'Shea Turns Down Italy Job

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 8:41

Most sensible people in the same position would have done the same thing imo. His job with Quins is more stable and secure than the Italy job would be. He has a settled, experienced set of players at his disposal. He has helped take Quins forward as a team and could yet continue to do so. And there's a chance he could go on to bigger things one day if he continues well in his current job. Not meaning any slight to Italian rugby but in Italy he wouldn't necessarily have these things.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 9:36

Just get in some ex Italy players as coaches and then spend the money on technical advisers like Argentina did.

Guys like Graham Henry or even Andy Robinson (very good forwards coach) could be helpful for a seasons analysis and advice.

Then there's always Farrell and Catt who are soon to be free agents...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 9 Dec 2015 - 16:00

Does Conna O'shea even speak Italian?

Surely the coach would have to be some one who is Fluent in Italian.

I know 99% of people can speak English, but how many English speaking people can speak Italian?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 10 Dec 2015 - 1:15

Do you mean 99% of people in England can speak English? Because there is no way most people in Italy do.

Jacques Brunel could speak Italian, but even that didn't stop him having major communication problems with his squad which eventually caused friction. Although those problems seemed self-inflicted. Brunel would only speak to four or five players and didn't even really talk to the rest! Shocked

The language barrier is just another good reason to avoid the job- if you were going to take a job where you have to learn a new language- i.e in France or Italy- it would be better to take one where you are working with players every week. Having low amounts of contact time with players is hard enough when you have no problems communicating what you want them to do.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Dec 2015 - 1:23

I have a feeling, and don't quote me, but I think O'Shea may not even be English.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down