The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sevens closer to spirit of rugby than fifteen man game

2 posters

Go down

Sevens closer to spirit of rugby than fifteen man game Empty Sevens closer to spirit of rugby than fifteen man game

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:53 am

Fiji are favourites to clinch the World Rugby Sevens Series after their dominant showing in Dubai but their coach Ben Ryan wants them to show more humility after their showboating following the semi-final win over New Zealand last weekend.

"I don't think we showed New Zealand much respect after the whistle," Ryan said on the TimesLive. "It's certainly not what I'm about, and it shouldn't be what any of my management or team are about. This Fiji team has the potential to match New Zealand's record 47-match-winning streak from a few years ago, but based on our attitude after that semi, that's not going to happen if the players continue to get carried away like that.

http://www.espnscrum.com/sevens-2014-15/rugby/story/283033.html

I can't see devotees of the 15 man game switching their allegiance to the shorter code but it often seems like many of the attitudes we like in rugby are more often on display there. I can't see many Test coaches publicly admonishing their players in such a fashion.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Sevens closer to spirit of rugby than fifteen man game Empty Re: Sevens closer to spirit of rugby than fifteen man game

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:34 pm

It makes no difference whether it is 7s or 15 a side or even womens, the same qualities are prerequsites of all forms and versions of the game.

If Ben Ryan chooses to admonish his players publicly, then that is his choice, but if other coaches deal with such issues behind closed doors it doesnt make them any the worse as coaches. the important thing is what they are trying to achieve.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down