The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK 2015- Biggest Disappointments

+4
Qoxiivi
Derbymanc
catchweight
themadworldofjb
8 posters

Go down

UK 2015- Biggest Disappointments Empty UK 2015- Biggest Disappointments

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 14 Dec - 13:58

2015 has been a brilliant year for British Boxing as we now lay claim to 11 World Champions (and it could be 12 from Saturday).

With the good, there is also some bad and here are my own personal top 5 disappointments:

5. Frankie Gavin- This is a sad one. All the talent in the world and he has never quite realised it. I know there have been issues out of the ring but being pasted by Brook and then being banned was not nice to see. Hopefully boxing can rally round him.

4. George Groves- I am surprised I am putting him here but its not been a good couple of years for George. I was surprised he lost to Jack and his hopes of world glory are disappearing fast. He needs a new coach quickly and then hopefully lure DeGale into a rematch.

3. Martin Murray- Murray has had a heartbreaking year. 2 world title defeats have left his dreams in tatters and it looks unlikely he will get another title shot. He was well beaten by Golovkin but fought the wrong fight against Abraham and deservedly lost.

2. Kevin Mitchell- Another fighter who has seemingly lost his chance of world glory. I was gutted when he was stopped by Linares. I had him ahead before the stoppage. Then this weekend he was blown away by Barroso. Its a shame because I love watching Mitchell.

1. Amir Khan- This one will be controversial I know. Khan has fought once this year. An easyish win over the frankly overrated Algieri. Hes been stupidly holding out for Mayweather and Pacquiao only to be over looked. And this has been with a huge fight with Brook staring him in the face. Khan must now face Brook or the fans will turn on him big style.

Those are my thoughts. What do you guys think?
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

UK 2015- Biggest Disappointments Empty Re: UK 2015- Biggest Disappointments

Post by catchweight Mon 14 Dec - 14:15

I didnt think it was a particularly great year for British boxing from a fans perspective.

Biggest dissapointments for me:

Brook - another wasted year of poor fights
Bellew - another lacklustre year with average performances
Froch v Golovkin/Degale not coming off
PPV being used unneccessarily
Too many poor domestic cards and too many weeks with no boxing

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Dec - 14:16

Can't argue with that list to much

I'd also add David Price - Career looks well and truly over without the possibility of even being good enough to hold the British title. His frailties make him a marked man and, should he ever fight again, any team who haven't done their homework and figured out Price's whiskers won't hold up should be banned from fighting.

The inevitable rise of PPV - some will argue that Saturday's bill actually gave good value for money but on paper it certainly didn't have the feel of a bill that we should cough up our money for. Sadly, can only see this trend increasing over the next couple of years.

The Grudge match - bored of this manufactured nonsense and the Campbell/Coyle fight ha to be the lowest point. I doubt Luke Campbell's ever had harsh words spoken to him in his life. Even after losing at the weekend, I reckon because he's so nice, they'll reverse the decision!!

David Haye - glad he's back but wish he'd not waited until the year was nearly over before doing so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 14 Dec - 14:23

PPV becoming the norm
Khan not stepping up again
Mayweather/Pac (I enjoyed it but a lot didn't)
The big names not fighting each other again
The British Scene becoming a complete mismatch
Dodgy judging decisions still happening
Ward/Smith
Tickets being sold out and available on stubhub etc
More belts
Froch/Groves 1 being stopped too early (was that this year, can't remember now)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 14 Dec - 14:40

I agree with what you are all saying. I was focusing this on fighters but the rise of PPV is worrying. No doubt Frampton Quigg will be PPV (though I have no complaints if it is). Had Mitchell won then his fight with Crolla would have been PPV.

For me PPV is only an option when warranted. If Brook Khan gets made I will pay for that no probs. I would also love to see the stateside fights stay free for the time being
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 14 Dec - 14:52

Matchroom are trying to condition the general public that competitive cards are ppv, via extensive marketing, social media and these reality tv style productions.

Its going the way where the average Sky card will be feature a series of Matchroom fighters in mismatches. Its inexpensive for Matchroom to put on as they dont have to pay the fighters involved much.

Good competitve cards, irresespective of level, will be sold as ppv and marketed via these repetive face to face or behind the scenes style documentaries, which are heavily rehearsed. Anthony Joshua reminding a classroom of kids to stay humble, Luke Campbell having a cuppa with Mum and Granny, Chris Eubank Snr tap-dancing in a tux while Jr looks on cringing etc

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 14 Dec - 17:14

This is the problem Sky have when they get into an exclusive deal with a promoter. Eddie is just going to impose his wishes upon them and advise them it is going to make them both a heap of money.

PPV used to be for the marquee names- Lewis, Naz, Hatton.

I think nowadays the only two fighters that are true PPV sellers are Khan and Fury (by virtue of being HW champ). Joshua will most likely be a PPV draw but it was far to early to throw that on him
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Mon 14 Dec - 17:24

Fighters (well, two fighters) with too much power making a mockery of the weigh classes.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 14 Dec - 17:54

Yup Eddie has His finger on the pulse of modern society. He's taken his father's understanding that the public like a good domestic grudge match, and realised the great British public just can't get enough x-factor style schmalz.

I blame those that bought cleverly Bellew 2... It came with a warning that it was a pilot for eddie's business plan. In fact I think boxingfan88 should buy everyone's ppv's for them.Wink. Have I mentioned that before?Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Mon 14 Dec - 18:40

The biggest disappointment for me was that Whyte couldn't finish Joshua in the 2nd round. That's closely followed by Joshua knocking Whyte out in the 7th.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 15 Dec - 0:01

How about Kid Galahad? What a waste.

Bradley Saunders?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 16 Dec - 13:14

DAVE667 wrote:I'd also add David Price - Career looks well and truly over without the possibility of even being good enough to hold the British title.

He's ready won the British title Erm

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down