The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up.

+13
RuggerRadge2611
RubyGuby
No 7&1/2
Gwlad
lostinwales
king_carlos
beshocked
Cyril
aucklandlaurie
Scarpia
WELL-PAST-IT
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
17 posters

Go down

Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up. Empty Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up.

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I think this would be a great idea. You have Jones now head coach of Australia in 2003. And you have Wilkinson the man who scored the winning drop goal in 2003 working together.

He would be ideal head kicking coach for England.

Any one think this would be a bad idea for England?

Discuss.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up. Empty Re: Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up.

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Well given Wales have Jenkins as our kicking coach makes sense for England to have next best thing
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up. Empty Re: Jones Wants Wilkinson in the coaching set up.

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Apparently, despite retiring he still goes out and does the kicking practice.

He would be more than just a kicking coach I think, just as much a mentor to the younger members of the squad.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:13 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

He would be ideal head kicking coach for England.

I didn't think players needed coaching on how to kick heads.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:22 am

George Smith is giving him advice on the loose forwards.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:03 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Not surprising. He's the best 7 since 2003.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 am

Cyril wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

....In England.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 am

Cyril wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Bit late for Wilco to change position to openside, although he always did tackle like one.

Run Run Run
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:20 am

Think it's a good thing. Wilkinson has vast experience. He's obviously a huge rugby icon would be a great mentor. Dealing with pressure and decision making is something that England quite clearly lacked in the last RWC. Wilkinson knows all about it.

If Wilkinson's work ethic and attitude can make any mark on the egoistical and petulant Farrell then it can only be a good thing. Farrell is a decent 10 but having Wilkinson to help him keep on the calm side... that could be very valuable.

Could also help Ford too - particularly with the physical aspects which I feel that Ford has struggled with. Too prone to being bullied IMO. Of course Wilkinson could help with the place kicking aspect too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Agree with all that beshocked.

Another thing that could help with place kicking in the side improving is having multiple kickers in the backline.

With Daly a real possibility at 13 and Slade seeming like Eddies first choice 12 there are options to both take the pressure of Ford (especially on longer kicks) and conversely put pressure on Farrell (if we have Slade in the centre then one of Farrells big strengths in keeping the score board ticking loses a bit of significance).

Goal kicking is one BIG strength of Farrell that regularly gets overlooked when debating between him and Ford. Ford on his day is a very sweet striker from the tee as well as from hand. When it isn't his day things can go astray though. Farrell on the other hand seems to more often than not land the important ones even on an off day. Plus the extra length he has on his kicks compared to Ford is not to be sniffed at.

All in all I think Wilkinson would do all our 10 options from Ford/Farrell through Slade/Cipriani and down to Saxons options such as Burns a lot of good.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Could be a very good move. For all the money spent at Toulon getting the right people was key, and it seems that JW did a very great deal to pull that team together and make it the sum of its parts.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:40 am

He'd drive everyone as mad as he was

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Jonny might have been mad, but it was/is a good mad.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I've said it before on a Wilkinson thread but I hate it when people joke about mental illness/self harm etc or use it to point score.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I've said it before on a Wilkinson thread but I hate it when people joke about mental illness/self harm etc or use it to point score.

Making an observation is a subjective act. Using the issue to score points in any way however is totally unacceptable, as you have done here

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Gwlad wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:I've said it before on a Wilkinson thread but I hate it when people joke about mental illness/self harm etc or use it to point score.

Making an observation is a subjective act. Using the issue to score points in any way however is totally unacceptable, as you have done here

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:20 pm

2 disgusting posters then. Take a bow guys.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:28 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:2 disgusting posters then. Take a bow guys.

Thanks mines a Strongbow thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Just mental illness you take the **ss out of or do you do cancer, disability jokes as well. Utter scum.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just mental illness you take the **ss out of or do you do cancer, disability jokes as well. Utter scum.

I've spent the last 25 years as a Consultant in mental health and if I'm honest I think you need to take a break from some posters on here. You are clearly affected by some posters including myself so my advice would be to just avoid us. That way there will be little problem for you. The rest of us can then enjoy the banter whilst you can enjoy your own rugby dialogue with those you choose to discuss rugby matters with. I really can't say anything fairer than that but you are really just looking for trouble so please don't try and become the moral barometer on here as you just appear foolish and inadequate. Now go away and enjoy your rugby discussions and leave the rest of us to enjoy ours. Alternatively I'd be happy to perform a frontal lobotomy for you free of charge thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:44 pm

I am sickened by jokes like that. I think you're scum and a troll. I won't avoid anything just because you want to try and act like a big man.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I am sickened by jokes like that. I think you're scum and a troll. I won't avoid anything just because you want to try and act like a big man.

Well you can't say I didn't try thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Yeah you try to get rises and will get one from me if you make flippant jokes or back up posters like you have here. Well done. Hope you get a life altering condition #banter

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:50 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah you try to get rises and will get one from me if you make flippant jokes or back up posters like you have here. Well done. Hope you get a life altering condition #banter

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Wilko is a great player and a proper gent. He'll be a quiet word in the ear of the team at crucial kicks and can get messages from the coaching staff onto the pitch with clarity.

I wouldn't have said his manor and demeanor essentially aligns with the Jones/Hartley combo. Headscratch
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:57 pm

This is not an easy transition and the very same thing was being said of Martin Johnson a few years back. We all know Wilko can be overly introspective and I'm not quite sure if that would lead to more confusion than clarity. He acknowledges that himself. Teaching and coaching are completely different skill sets to playing and for many they are not easily transferable. It remains to be seen as he's such a top bloke and respected by all other nations as a player

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just mental illness you take the **ss out of or do you do cancer, disability jokes as well. Utter scum.

To be fair, I haven't seen anything that takes the **ss out of mental illness, I think the issue may be more to do with your interpretation than intended nastiness.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Hoonercat wrote:

To be fair, I haven't seen anything that takes the **ss out of mental illness, I think the issue may be more to do with your interpretation than intended nastiness.
It's well-known that Wilkinson went as far as to self-harm, so joking about that is pretty insensitive, especially when sport has a long history of just telling people to "pull themselves together".

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/blog/jonny-wilkinson-%E2%80%93-physical-and-mental-battle-sporting-hero

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:44 pm

This thread has gone a bit haywire and I would hope that it is more a different opinion on the term ‘banter’ than anyone deliberately mocking mental illness. They wouldn’t have much of a future on here if it was the latter! Obviously it is a delicate topic and I think people maybe need to take that into account when posting on a forum full of people they don’t know.

Can we all just draw a line under it and move on please before we have to lock the thread?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Ale

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Ruby - as I said, let's move on.

Not all moderating happens in the public threads. We would get much less grief if people realised that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Eddie Jones interviewed by the Asahi newspaper in Japan. He might appreciate Wilkinson's input to help with the bit I've highlighted in bold.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/sports/AJ201602030005

Q: In Japan, you were very determined to make changes. Will you try to do the same things in England?

A: England’s a very traditional country, and there’s a lot of good things here, but most certainly I’m going to have to change a lot of things.

Q: What kind of things do you think you have to change?

A: Changing the players’ mind-set. Same thing. English players are very comfortable. They play in the good competitions, get well paid. Tough competition. But to me they don’t have a real aspiration to be very successful international players. They want to play for England, but I’ve got to get them so they want to be desperate to win for England, and that’s the big difference. And it’s only a 3 percent, 5 percent change, but it’s changing your mind-set, changing the way you operate, changing the way you do things.

Q: Do you think managing England is more difficult or easier than managing Japan? And is it the toughest challenge of your career?

A: We all do what we’re comfortable doing. You do what you’re comfortable doing. So to change is always difficult. I think coaching any national team’s difficult. Yes, England have shown they’re capable of winning a World Cup. That’s one of the great things. There’s only four teams in the world capable of winning the World Cup. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and England. So I’ve got an opportunity to change a team that’s got an opportunity to win the World Cup. That’s the exciting thing.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 am

I think Jonny would be a great addition to the England team. An England hero and a consummate professional. However, I always thought the key Jonny brought was the intangible of being a winner. And, to me, this is what ultimately set Jonny apart from his contemporaries.

And for this England team to be a winner, I think they need to associate with winners.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:08 am

Agreed but maintain his sort of obsessive attitude can be as destructive as it is constructive…just ask him.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 am

Gwlad wrote:Agreed but maintain his sort of obsessive attitude can be as destructive as it is constructive…just ask him.
Agree completely.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:25 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Agreed but maintain his sort of obsessive attitude can be as destructive as it is constructive…just ask him.
Agree completely.  

That said i recall his 1 minute synopsis of the period immediately prior to Wales scoring in the RWC game.

Nailed his analysis of the momentum swing as he called it and said England better wake up to it.

Pity nobody else noticed

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 am

I was watching in a pub which was very loud and didn't hear much of any of the commentary. I did hear some bad language towards the end of that match but not from the tv..........

I have heard Jonny in the past and he comes off as pretty insightful.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down