The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales

+8
Cardiff Dave
offload
Cyril
glamorganalun
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
12 posters

Go down

Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales Empty Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Well Peter Jackson is ripping into the scheduling for the 6N, and particularly the WRU for in his words " the WRU embraced the concept with enthusiasm but without appearing to worry unduly about the congestion around the biggest bottleneck on the M4, the Brynglas Tunnel"

Yes he is right, but it looks to me as though it is the Welsh who are constantly crapped on, why ? It is because everyone and their dog knows us Welsh will travel en mass to watch our country no matter what time or what venue. Anyway, I was very surprised by the viewing figures for these Friday night games, the Wales and England game from the last world cup got more viewing figures than the world cup final in 2007.

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/peter-jackson/24887/peter-jackson-column-friday-fun-and-games-is-strictly-for-wales/

Do you agree with Peter Jackson ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales Empty Re: Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Money is the main driver in professional sport so if they feel they can get a bigger interest tehy'll generally go for it. The evening kick offs on a Friday and Saturday for Wales England game in the world cup are going to get bigger audiences for tv but do tend to put fans at the game as a secondary concern.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales Empty Re: Friday fun and games is strictly for Wales

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:31 am

I'm sure I read a while ago that a country would get more money if it agreed to host a Friday night game. It's no surprise that Roger Lewis leapt at the opportunity, regardless of the travel problems they cause, including for commuters who either live or work in Cardiff.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:41 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm sure I read a while ago that a country would get more money if it agreed to host a Friday night game. It's no surprise that Roger Lewis leapt at the opportunity, regardless of the travel problems they cause, including for commuters who either live or work in Cardiff.

LP,

Correct mate the wru get a bigger %.revenue wise by agreeing to.friday night games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:27 am

Cardiff City Council and SW Police should charge the WRU extra for the clean up and policing wth the extending the weekend with additional overtime for a late game etc. Evening games are not great for the players hanging around all day knowing they have a big game ahead of them and the possble travel late at night.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:01 am

WRU want it and others unions don't. Open and shut case.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:12 pm

Friday night games in Cardiff are a nightmare for anyone not staying in the city. Transport is a joke and spoils any enjoyment. I hate them and will never attend another. It took me 4 and a half hours to struggle home last time and I'm less than 25 miles from Cardiff. The WRU don't give a s*it about fans.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:12 am

LordDowlais wrote:Well Peter Jackson is ripping into the scheduling for the 6N, and particularly the WRU for in his words " the WRU embraced the concept with enthusiasm but without appearing to worry unduly about the congestion around the biggest bottleneck on the M4, the Brynglas Tunnel"  

Yes he is right, but it looks to me as though it is the Welsh who are constantly crapped on, why ? It is because everyone and their dog knows us Welsh will travel en mass to watch our country no matter what time or what venue. Anyway, I was very surprised by the viewing figures for these Friday night games, the Wales and England game from the last world cup got more viewing figures than the world cup final in 2007.

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/peter-jackson/24887/peter-jackson-column-friday-fun-and-games-is-strictly-for-wales/

Do you agree with Peter Jackson ?

Valleys folk have always travelled to Cardiff en masse, every Friday and Saturday anyway whether there's a Wales game or not. Great for businesses in the capital.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 am

offload wrote:Friday night games in Cardiff are a nightmare for anyone not staying in the city.  Transport is a joke and spoils any enjoyment. I hate them and will never attend another.  It took me 4 and a half hours to struggle home last time and I'm less than 25 miles from Cardiff.  The WRU don't give a s*it about fans.

Saturday afternoon Wales games also prove a struggle to get out of Cardiff btw. Tiz what happens when 100k+ people swamp the capital.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:53 am

Hate the Friday night games furious Went once

20:00 - kick off
22:00 - out of ground
23:15 - this was the time the taxi from my home village (13 miles outside of Cardiff) was booked to arrive
00:15 - this is the time the taxi got through the 'gridlock' and arrived (Fair play they rang several times to give us an update on progress)
01:15 - got home

With afternoon games, although just as busy, there is a staggering (see what I did there  Wink  ) as there's plenty of buses leaving throughout the afternoon/evening ..etc and plenty of time until the last one. Friday night games, it's either dash from ground for bus/train, get a taxi or stay in a hotel **

** that'll be a minimum of 2 nights stay sir Rolling Eyes

No WRU - you can stick Friday night games  mad

Half day for me. Finish at 12 noon and head for home Run
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
offload wrote:Friday night games in Cardiff are a nightmare for anyone not staying in the city.  Transport is a joke and spoils any enjoyment. I hate them and will never attend another.  It took me 4 and a half hours to struggle home last time and I'm less than 25 miles from Cardiff.  The WRU don't give a s*it about fans.

Saturday afternoon Wales games also prove a struggle to get out of Cardiff btw. Tiz what happens when 100k+ people swamp the capital.

I've been attending rugby matches in Cardiff for 40 years and afternoon matches are nothing like Friday nights - for the reasons Pete mentions. No, the WRU can stuff it, selfish barstewards.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 am

Why are people complaining?
Friiday night games are STANDARD in the Pro12, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland are used to them. If the players aren't used to hanging around all day for an evening game at this point then god help them. Shocked
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 am

It'll only be scrapped if people stop going. That seems to be working with the regions...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:01 am

offload wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I've been attending rugby matches in Cardiff for 40 years and afternoon matches are nothing like Friday nights - for the reasons Pete mentions.  No, the WRU can stuff it, selfish barstewards.

Agreed and as Pete has alluded to, more people wanting to leave the city at relatively the same time is a mare.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:07 am

Shifty wrote:Why are people complaining?
Friiday night games are STANDARD in the Pro12, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland are used to them.  If the players aren't used to hanging around all day for an evening game at this point then god help them.  Shocked

Easy peasy to catch a train at Cardiff central after a pro12 game mun especially if you delay your departure with a couple of pints and a trip to Caroline street. Carriages mostly half empty.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:32 am

Cyril wrote:It'll only be scrapped if people stop going. That seems to be working with the regions...

Worked for CCS, but that's another thing altogether.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:01 am

Can't imagine what it's going to be like for French fans this year and then Irish fans the following year. Getting the bus home afterwards is going to be difficult....
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 am

Pot Hale wrote:Can't imagine what it's going to be like for French fans this year and then Irish fans the following year.  Getting the bus home afterwards is going to be difficult....

A short walk to an outrageously priced hotel room perhaps?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Can't imagine what it's going to be like for French fans this year and then Irish fans the following year.  Getting the bus home afterwards is going to be difficult....

A short walk to an outrageously priced hotel room perhaps?

Hmmm...aaahh...umm... nah, I'll get the bus thanks.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by johnrgby Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:51 pm

[quote="Cyril"]It'll only be scrapped if people stop going. That seems to be working with the regions...[/

People have not only stopped going to Regional friday night games, its games in general, and more to do with the dross served up than the time of kick off
johnrgby
johnrgby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down