The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FO Semi Djokovic v Federer

+27
graf_the_greatest
debaters1
CaledonianCraig
kemet
yummymummy
barrystar
sportslover
Wooffie
erictheblueuk
Thomond
Haddie-nuff
Jahu
bogbrush
ebar86
lydian
legendkillar
gallery play
zaron
wow
I AM AWESOME
Kay Fabe
socal1976
FedsFan
sonic_boom10
droogle
Chazfazzer
Tenez
31 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

FO Semi Djokovic v Federer Empty FO Semi Djokovic v Federer

Post by Tenez Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:19 pm

I am not sure what's going to happen there but I hope the wind is finally going to stop ....for the sake of a high quality semi.

Discuss

Tenez

Back to top Go down

FO Semi Djokovic v Federer Empty Re: FO Semi Djokovic v Federer

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

I would like nothing more than for Federer to bring his A++ game and blast Djokovic off the court. Chance of that happening...probably about 5%. My heart tells me Federer, but my brain says Djokovic - probably in 4 reasonably tight sets.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

I want Nadal to lose more than I want Federer to win, so I guess I'd prefer Djokovic to make the final.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Welcome here Chaz. You found the right forum! Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Ha yeah; it was a toss up between here and not606, but 606v2 seemed a bit more populated on the tennis front!

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

Federer will win.

Probably should S&V to catch Djokovic of guard

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu 02 Jun 2011, 6:38 pm

droogle wrote:I want Nadal to lose more than I want Federer to win, so I guess I'd prefer Djokovic to make the final.

I totally agree with you. I want Federer to silence Djokovic and the critics that he is a real contender still but unfortunately Federer's mental demons will crowd his mind when he meets Nadal in the final. He will get steam rolled again. Federer gets impatient with the long baseline rallies and he tries to pull the trigger too early by going for a winner and makes errors. That is what happened to Soderling.

I would prefer to see Djokovic in the final for a couple of reasons. One is, Nadal will have a couple of sleepless nights as I am sure the last 4 losses will be on his mind. Second, correct me if I am wrong but won't Djoko be #1 on Monday irrespective of whether he wins the title? That would surely leave a sour taste in the mouth because the next days its all going to be about the new world number one and I doubt much focus on the 6th FO crown. Thirdly, Djoko's chances of winning or giving a good fight are better than Federer's chances with his touch play which I think lacks aggression against Nadal.

Dilemma! steam

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm

Personally, I think Novak will start the first set slowly, I think the 4 days in the middle of a slam are not conducive to performing. That being said Djokovic I think will fight as hard as possible for this win, he is hungry and has so much at stake. Although I think if Fed serves a high percentage and plays a clean match keeping the error count down then he could definetly win the match. I am Novak fan but I think I fed has about a 35 percent chance of winning, after all he is the great Roger Federer and Novak has to lose sometime. Still my pick Novak in 4 sets. If Roger makes a lot of errors like he did against Monfils novak will not bail him out with a ton of errors of his own. Plus if he doesn't serve well the best returner in the business will make even Roger's serve look ordinary.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 02 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

I fancy Rog to sneak this one

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

Lets see gaffer, either way i can't wait for tomorrow maybe the best day of tennis all year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:24 pm

Federer, come on I really want him to do it. COME ON!

Realistically, Novak will probably take this, but I still think it's gonna be tight whatever way the match goes. AO was very tight, so was IW so I expect this to be as tight as well. It's just that Roger's got the game that is not good for Novak.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:32 pm

FedsFan wrote:
droogle wrote:I want Nadal to lose more than I want Federer to win, so I guess I'd prefer Djokovic to make the final.

I totally agree with you. I want Federer to silence Djokovic and the critics that he is a real contender still but unfortunately Federer's mental demons will crowd his mind when he meets Nadal in the final. He will get steam rolled again. Federer gets impatient with the long baseline rallies and he tries to pull the trigger too early by going for a winner and makes errors. That is what happened to Soderling.

I would prefer to see Djokovic in the final for a couple of reasons. One is, Nadal will have a couple of sleepless nights as I am sure the last 4 losses will be on his mind. Second, correct me if I am wrong but won't Djoko be #1 on Monday irrespective of whether he wins the title? That would surely leave a sour taste in the mouth because the next days its all going to be about the new world number one and I doubt much focus on the 6th FO crown. Thirdly, Djoko's chances of winning or giving a good fight are better than Federer's chances with his touch play which I think lacks aggression against Nadal.

Dilemma! steam

And at the moment Djoko owns Nadal.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

Current form says Djokovic will win, but Federer has the experience of winning semi-finals at RG.

Since it's a close matchup, I think the result of the Nadal-Murray semi, which will be played first, could have an impact on the Djokovic-Federer semi.

If Murray beats Nadal, then Djokovic is the new world #1 on monday, regardless of what happens vs Federer. This will still be sinking in when they start their match, so it could cause Djokovic to lose focus a little bit, especially at the start of the match.

I am sure Federer would much rather play Murray than Nadal in the final, while Djokovic will be confident of beating either Murray or Nadal.

So I think a Murray win would give Federer an advantage, whereas a Nadal win would give Djokovic an advantage.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

First of all: the wind is still a factor. The forecast: a moderate breeze or a 4 on beaufort's scale. That's no good news for Federer.

I expect a match like their last meeting at the AO. Tight, intense and Fed could take a break lead a set or 2 but in the end Djoko will get an extra break each set.
I expect tomorrow night we'll be looking back at the match and say that it was very close affair but at the same we'll realize that Djoko never was in real danger. Djoko at the moment is too fit, too confident and too focused to be beaten by anyone this tournament.

The last time Federer did actually win when i expected him to lose? hmm that's a long time ago..I guess the Madrid final of 2009.

However, the day Djoko gives in 2% on his current form, things will be quite different. Federer, Murray and Delpo will be ready to strike back

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

gallery play wrote:First of all: the wind is still a factor. The forecast: a moderate breeze or a 4 on beaufort's scale. That's no good news for Federer.

In that case Nadal will cruise through without any hiccups as he masters the wind just as he did in Indian Wells in 2009 when he beat Murray. Murray admitted he struggled in the wind but Nadal did not.

Would this be a bad thing for Federer? I know Djokovic is a great player at the moment but sometimes experience does count and Federer has played in the wind which was very bad on Tuesday but was 'okay'. Djokovic on the other hand has had 5 days off. Sure he must have been on the practice courts buts its never the same as playing a match in windy conditions.

All the pundits, presenters and journalists said that the furthest Federer could go was the semis as Djokovic is expected to thump him. The focus is not on Federer and Djokovic has more to lose.

If Soderling had taken Nadal out then yes, I would hope for a Fed win but with Nadal around thats never going to happen. Also, Fed v Djoko is second up so if Federer knows Nadal is through, just like at the USO, I expect him to fold as I am sure he will be thinking 'How am I going to beat Rafa' and RG 08 will be in his mind. If Murray wins (Hell freezes over, pigs might fly comes to mind!) extra motiviation for Federer I think.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:12 am

I am a little surprised by Fedsfan's commentary that Fed will probably subconciously fold if Nadal wins the earlier match and therefore Fed would know that Nadal awaits him the final. I doubt that very much Roger knows that he won't be getting too many more shots of playing grandslam finals and beating Novak a rival that he actually has some personal animosity towards, taking away his streak and preventing him from getting to #1, and denying him a chance a grandslam would outweigh any negative feelings of playing Nadal. The biggest thing is Fed wants another chance at a grandslam that is why he is hanging around. And he can't attain that glory unless he beats Djokovic regardless of who is awaiting him in the final. Fed obviously feels like he still has what it takes to win a grandslam title, and to do that he knows at some stage he may have to beat Nadal. If he didn't have that belief then I can't see any reason why he would want to stick around the tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:35 am

I think the balls would suit Federer if he was to play Nadal, and it's also expected to be wet on Sunday so that will also play in Federer's advantage.

He was close enough in Rome and I actually think he enjoys the challenge of playing Nadal when fit. All his matches on clay have been pretty close when he had the energy.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:05 am

The new balls do seem to have helped Fed hit through the court a little better both with hs forehand and his serve. We will see how it plays out, I think it helps him that he has had a routine match every other day while Djokovic has had an odd break in his tournament schedule. You can't really replicate matchday speed or conditions.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:40 am

If conditions are blustery, and Federers forehand isn't working, Djokovic will roll him in 3. If it is working, I can see the Fed Express rolling Djokovic in 4. Federer needs all things in his game working today to pull off the victory. Djokovic is strong in all departments out the moment and it will be interesting to see how quick he adjusts to the conditions.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

Will be interesting to see how Nole's improved conditioning and breathing condition stands up to the heat as well as it will be the hottest day at RG today. Fed we know doesnt really tire so thats not an issue for him.

Agree the wind could play into Djokovic's hands - but then lets not forget Nole plays with small margins for error and low net clearance on those flatter shots. Also - lets not forget the sheer aura of playing Federer in a slam semi or final. Nole knows he's been burnt by Fed before and wont forget that, even the win over Fed at USO last year was so tight and Djokovic was arguably playing just as well then as now and you could argue Fed is in better form now than then....so will be very interesting!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

Djoko doesn't like the wind either. His advantage however is the DHBH which certainly help when timing gets tough.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

Yes its more solid that Fed's SHBH for sure. We may see Fed attacking the net alot today, and the warm conditions and fast balls certainly give him an opportunity to do that. If Fed serves as good as he can then it will make life tough for Djokovic.

I do have this sneaking feeling that Fed will win today...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:22 pm

He has certainly been playing well lydian. If he can serve at a high percentage he could trouble Novak. But if he plays like he did against Monfils Novak will roll him in straight sets.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

This mornings comments raise a lot of salient points.

The reason I mentioned Federer being slightly affected by the prospect of playing Nadal is due to whats happened in the past. Did Federer not comment after the USO match on not being 100% to play Nadal after that exhausting 5 setter with Djoko? Obviously it DOES play on his mind but I agree with Social with regard to his chances in another GS and wanting to be the man to snuff out Djoko's streak and hope for #1.

I would imagine the wind to affect Djoko too though so maybe Federer may use it to his advantage? In the US Open match Federer seemed to be in a 'mood' and from the moment he had that argument with the umpire when the line judge fell over the advertisement hoarding he lost his composure and the momentum he had. If the old cool and calm Fed is on court today he will take it but if the slightly annoyed Federer (like the on at the AO who kept having a go at the line judges) shows up, Djoko will frustrate him further. Maybe talking nonsense here but I think Federer's attitude on court plays a big part in these matches.

If the final day is predicted to be wet and damp would this not be an advantage to Nadal as I would imagine the balls to be heavier with the clay sticking to it more. I dont think a day like this would suit Federer somehow.

I suppose it depends on the player on the day. I still think Djokovic to take this one going on his current form in maybe 4. Nadal to cruise in 3.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ebar86 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

its quite weird,,when some federers fans 'want' fed to lose to djoko,,with hope that on fire djoko will beat nadal in the final,,bcoz they just cannot bear the scene fed get beaten by nadal

and what if djoko advance to the final (with drained out of energy of course),,getting bagel by nadal there? you might think nadal is not up to his usual standard,,but god sake,,hes defending champion n won it 5 times there,,he must do little wrong there

i thought most man utd fans know that barca are definitely a better team,,but they stand behind their club,,hoping that some miracles do happen..n at least after halftime,,man utd still have a chance.

its grand slam,,anything can happen,,just stand behind ur man, guys.
hope i can bring some of them out of their dilemma Smile

ebar86

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

Fedsfan, you make some good points, I think if it is windy that helps Novak as he hits the ball with more margin and topspin that should allow for more safety with his shots. Certainly, the player that maintains his poise stands the best chance of winning. Roger doesn't play well in the rare instances that he does lose his cool. Again I think Djokovic will be affected by the odd 4 day layoff, I don't see this as an advantage I see this as big disadvanatage and i think he really needs to find his timing early on without going down a set or set and a break to Roger.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Ebar, to me as a Djokovic fan I would be happy if Novak just gets to the final, then he will be the #1 one player in the world come monday regardless of whether nadal wins the tourney or not. i am not conflicted in the least I want Novak to win today and on sunday. But for me getting to the final will be enough of a success in this tournament, although I would be absolutely crazy happy if he wins the whole thing, it would really build his legacy as one of the alltime great players.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

At the end of the day as fans of the sport you want to see a great match especially when its the championship match. Frankly last years FO and Wimbledon were just dull. It is for this reason that I would mind Djokovic in the final. Its not that I am not getting behind Fed and not supporting him. I would really like him to win 1 more wimbledon and 1 more french as it would silence a lot of critics.

All I can say is que sara sara.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

Kiss her what?!

(with acknowledgements to Ronnie Barker)
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

No chance of this match finishing today.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Yeah, pity for Nole or Federer who will probably have to play the equivalent of a Masters tie the day before the Final.

Been falling that way for those two recently.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

They really should do something about teh 20s rule and apply it once and for all like they apply the line calls. It's either on....or out!.

It is simply not normal to spend 3hours for 2 sets and a half!

SOmething really wrong there.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Tenez wrote:They really should do something about teh 20s rule and apply it once and for all like they apply the line calls. It's either on....or out!.

It is simply not normal to spend 3hours for 2 sets and a half!

SOmething really wrong there.

Don't you know that some people have announced that this topic is not allowed to be discussed as it bores them?

(Of course since it's against Murray there might be more than a few who realise that if his opponent didn't take such vast time to recovery between points he may not have recovered so many break points, and their man might actually be winning this match).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

Medvedev one of my favourite player of the 90s (much better than Kafel btw) thinks Federer is going to win.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

Frankly the quality of this semi is so much better. Faster, sharper, technically much better.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:22 pm

Federer is looking awesome today. The backhand is not letting him down and I think Novak may need to re-think his strategy.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

Tenez wrote:Frankly the quality of this semi is so much better. Faster, sharper, technically much better.

But then it would be

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Djokovic is a hit and hope merchant.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

Annoying: until this moment Djoko can only catch up with Federer's level of play at the BP's..and he's 3-2 ahead
Like i predicted, very much like the AO match.. furious

edit: 2-4.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

With those balls Federer woudl be unstoppable at Wimbledon!

BTW, Nadal won't have a hope in hell to beat that Djokovic.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

Wumming I think Tenez

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

Tenez wrote:With those balls Federer woudl be unstoppable at Wimbledon!

BTW, Nadal won't have a hope in hell to beat that Djokovic.

Nadal has beaten Djokovic 16 times so I wouldn't put your mortgage on it.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

What was the warning from the umpire to Joker? For too slow serving?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm

I'd be what you calla fairweather tennis fan but this is simplay amazing stuff. Nadal will have a big advantage of the winner. He should be well fresher.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

1:0 Fed - 7:6 (7:5)

Last edited by Jahu on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Brilliant by the Emperor!

Come on Roger!!!

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

Hope he put's Joker to where he belongs, out of top 2.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Awsome 1st set by Roger, but can he keep it up cause I'm pretty sure Novak can.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Great set of tennis the first one and a fine hold by Federer.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:16 pm

Havent seen Roger play so well for simply ages

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next