The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January

+15
reallybored
justified sinner
True Raven
cakeordeath
maestegmafia
Don Blues
EWT Spoons
Cardiff Dave
wales606
VinceWLB
Coleman
Hazel Sapling
RDW
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Empty Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Jan 2016, 8:34 am

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Blues14             Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Edinbu12
Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh Rugby
Saturday 30 January 2016
KO 17:15
BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park

Live on Sky Sports

Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU, 38th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Dan Jones, Martyn Lewis (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Jeff Mark (WRU)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)

A. Head to Head

24 Played 24
14 Wins 10
10 Losses 14
0 Draws 0
568 Points 402

B. Form

Sun 1 March 2015
Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 November 2014
Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

C. Teams

Cardiff Blues
Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Roald_10
1) Davies
2) Rees (C)
3) Ma'afu
4) Hoeata
5) Down
6) Jenkins
7) Navidi
8) Vosawai

9) Knoyle
10) Patchell
11) Summerhill
12) Evans
13) Lee-Lo
14) Scully
15) Fish

16) E Lewis
17) B Thyer
18) D Lewis
19) Cook
20) Groves
21) T Williams
22) J Evans
23) E-W Bentham

Edinburgh Rugby
Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Jk-row10
1) Sutherland
2) Cochrane
3) Andress
4) A Toolis
5) Coman (C)
6) Ritchie
7) Watson
8) Du Preez
9) Fowles
10) Burleigh
11) Brown
12) Strauss
13) Allen
14) Fife
15) Tonks

16) McInally
17) Dell
18) Berghan
19) Bradbury
20) Turner
21) Kennedy
22) Helu
23) Kinghorn

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Jan 2016, 9:04 am

Sophie Dahl surely??

Well when playing Welsh teams these days I usually deploy my "we should thrash this useless shower" speech but after the Grenoble debacle I just how we keep our dignity intact on this roadtrip.

The 6 Nations boys will be away so we'll be down to reduced numbers. No doubt time for Andries Strauss et al to come to the fore.

I'd like to see Berghan and Dell given a start in the front row, McInally at hooker with the Toolis brothers paired at lock. Coman, Ritchie and Du Preez making up the back row (assuming Watson is kept with the Scotland squad).

Fowles and Burleigh at 9/10, Strauss/Allan in the centres and Helu, Hoyland and Cuthbert at the back.

Probably not the best team to have graced Cardiff.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh, 30 January

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan 2016, 9:22 am

With us now out of Europe attention turns back to the league, and we really need to go hell for leather in every game.

This game is incredibly important and if we win it it’ll be a huge boost, especially with 3 away games in a row coming up. It will be tough though – the Blues are on decent form recently and will be confident from a huge win at the weekend (albeit against a bunch of semi-pros). Sam Warbuton should be playing for the Blues too.

Assuming that Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Hardie, Hidalgo-Clyne and Scott will be saved for the England game, and that Bresler will have to sit out with a head knock, I reckon we’ll go something along the lines of

1 Sutherland
2 McInally (he really needs gametime)
3 Andress/Berghan (would be a big step for Solomons to pick Berghan
4 Toolis
5 Toolis
6 Coman
7 Watson
8 Du Preez

9 Fowles
10 Burleigh
11 Helu
12 Struass Rolling Eyes
13 Allan
14 Hoyland
15 Tonks

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Jan 2016, 9:34 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Sophie Dahl surely??

Well when playing Welsh teams these days I usually deploy my "we should thrash this useless shower" speech but after the Grenoble debacle I just how we keep our dignity intact on this roadtrip.

The 6 Nations boys will be away so we'll be down to reduced numbers. No doubt time for Andries Strauss et al to come to the fore.

I'd like to see Berghan and Dell given a start in the front row, McInally at hooker with the Toolis brothers paired at lock. Coman, Ritchie and Du Preez making up the back row (assuming Watson is kept with the Scotland squad).

Fowles and Burleigh at 9/10, Strauss/Allan in the centres and Helu, Hoyland and Cuthbert at the back.

Probably not the best team to have graced Cardiff.
I hear you. Unfortunately she was both in North London although being Roald Dahl's grandaughter must have been pretty cool at school.

I'm assuming that no international squad members will be chosen from either side, which means that Cardiff will be without Gethin, Dacey, Turnbull, Warbs, Lloyd Williams, Cuthbert, James and Anscombe. If Edinburgh don't kick on from their euro exit, then I will personally follow Solomons in the street until an opportune moment arises for me to kick away his walking stick.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan 2016, 9:43 am

Do we really think that Sutherland and Watson will be held back? I don't think they'll be involved in the matchday 23 against England and Watson could do with gametime.

Sutherland has played plenty so might be kept back but I'd play Watson.

McInally is probably going to be on the bench against England but desperatley needs gametime.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 26 Jan 2016, 10:00 am

Isn't Ben Toolis in the Scotland squad? Do Edinburgh have any other locks or would that mean Coman to the 2nd row and Ritchie or Bradbury into the back row?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

Forgot about Toolis - he could do with gametime too!

And Cotter seems to like Swinson instead for some reason.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Jan 2016, 10:11 am

Ben Toolis will surely start against Cardiff. He's only a couple of games back after a decent lay-off and I'd imagine Cotter would want him to get another game under his belt.

RDW - agreed on Watson. I just wondered with him being called-up whether there's something wrong with Hardie (heaven forbid), and whilst I'd like to think that Barclay is the obvious choice to replace him, you never know with Barclay and the current Scotland coaches. They've probably also looked at Fusaro in training and wondered when his Dad is going to turn up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan 2016, 10:12 am

The Scotsman were saying that Allan and Watson were mainly called up to provide training numbers.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Jan 2016, 10:14 am

Well that's a good thing. We could really use Watson in this run of games. He's one of the few players we have who can really make things happen.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 26 Jan 2016, 11:19 am

Warburton has said he is available for this game. He wants more game time before the 6N.

I'd expect our squad to look something like.

1. Hobbs
2. Rees/E. Lewis
3. Filise/Ma'afu
4. Hoeata
5. Reed
6. Navidi
7. Warburton
8. Vosawi
9. Knoyle
10. Patchell
11. Summerhill
12. G. Evans
13. Lee-Lo
14. Skully
15. Fish

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:38 pm

Coleman wrote:Warburton has said he is available for this game. He wants more game time before the 6N.

I'd expect our squad to look something like.

1. Hobbs
2. Rees/E. Lewis
3. Filise/Ma'afu
4. Hoeata
5. Reed
6. Navidi
7. Warburton
8. Vosawi
9. Knoyle
10. Patchell
11. Summerhill
12. G. Evans
13. Lee-Lo
14. Skully
15. Fish

Strong team, particularly if the new TH is starting. Edinburgh will do well to get anything out of that game.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:49 pm

Don't quote me on him starting. He's been with us a month now and i've not heard a peep. Very worried about the loss of quality in our backs. Keep an eye on young Ethan and Dillon Lewis. Very good prospects in the front row.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan 2016, 12:51 pm

Coleman wrote:Don't quote me on him starting. He's been with us a month now and i've not heard a peep. Very worried about the loss of quality in our backs. Keep an eye on young Ethan and Dillon Lewis. Very good prospects in the front row.

I wonder worry about that against Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm

Looking at the proposed line-ups I think this will be a tight game. I think it is evens in the backs, but prefer the Edinburgh tight 5 if they have both Toolis's (is that grammatically accurate?).

Also I don't think I have seen Warburton actually do much for Cardiff over the past couple of years. The back row for Cardiff has powerful ball carriers but never been convinced at the breakdown. Navidi seems to get penalised and Vosawi is a good ball carrier but for some reason I associate him with 1 stupid tackle per match that can get him booked. On there good days though, they are unstoppable if they can keep their hands on the ball.

Will plump for Cardiff to win narrowly though because they have someone who can kick well (Patchell) vs Edinburgh who have 2 who can kick (Tonks, Burleigh)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:04 pm

Patchell is my biggest worry – I think he’s a quality 10 and will cause us all sorts of trouble. We tend to give away a lot of penalties too so he’ll really punish us.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:30 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Looking at the proposed line-ups I think this will be a tight game. I think it is evens in the backs, but prefer the Edinburgh tight 5 if they have both Toolis's (is that grammatically accurate?).

Also I don't think I have seen Warburton actually do much for Cardiff over the past couple of years. The back row for Cardiff has powerful ball carriers but never been convinced at the breakdown. Navidi seems to get penalised and Vosawi is a good ball carrier but for some reason I associate him with 1 stupid tackle per match that can get him booked. On there good days though, they are unstoppable if they can keep their hands on the ball.

Will plump for Cardiff to win narrowly though because they have someone who can kick well (Patchell) vs Edinburgh who have 2 who can kick (Tonks, Burleigh)  

Twolis? Tooli?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:38 pm

If i'm honest Patchell's goal kicking is really hit or miss. He'll challenge the line in attack but if i am correct and Gavin Evans is at centre then don't worry yourself with our threat out wide.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

Going to depend on who Wales release to the Blues,

We should get Warburton and Turnball back,

Could also get Dacey, Allen, T.James and maybe even Cuthbert back.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm

If we just got Warbs and Allen i'd be over the moon. James or Cuthbert would be fantastic as well but i'll not hold my breath.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 28 Jan 2016, 7:54 am

Nasi Manu tweeted saying he's got another 7 weeks before he's fully fit.

Looks like Du Preez is going to have to carry on doing it all himself for a while yet!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 28 Jan 2016, 8:14 am

Gatland has not released Warbs or Anscombe to play this weekend. I'm unsure about the other Blues lads.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 28 Jan 2016, 7:13 pm

Coleman wrote:Gatland has not released Warbs or Anscombe to play this weekend. I'm unsure about the other Blues lads.

NDC/RSA tastic!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:14 am

Does that meanthe other Blues lads not on NDC's have to be released? Or are we without all of them?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:04 pm

Cardiff team up:

1) Davies
2) Rees (C)
3) Ma'afu
4) Hoeata
5) Down
6) Jenkins
7) Navidi
8) Vosawai
9) Knoyle
10) Patchell
11) Summerhill
12) Evans
13) Lee-Lo
14) Scully
15) Fish

16) E Lewis
17) B Thyer
18) D Lewis
19) Cook
20) Groves
21) T Williams
22) J Evans
23) E-W Bentham

Match live on Sky Sports 1

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm

Edinburgh Team:

1) Sutherland
2) Cochrane
3) Andress
4) A Toolis
5) Coman (C)
6) Ritchie
7) Watson
8) Du Preez
9) Fowles
10) Burleigh
11) Brown
12) Strauss
13) Allen
14) Fife
15) Tonks

16) McInally
17) Dell
18) Berghan
19) Bradbury
20) Turner
21) Kennedy
22) Helu
23) Kinghorn

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm

Edinburgh are really short of 2nd rows if Bradbury has to play there and Turner, a hooker, has to bench cover the back row. A Toolis better not get hurt.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

Wow our front row options on the bench are young. We have two tightheads as well. Wonder which one will be coming on as loose. Good to see Ma'afu in the team. Really looking forward to this game.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:19 pm

Disappointing that Andress starts. Berghan came on the other week and made a real difference, I would have rather seen him get a start, especially with Andress moving on.

Good to see Ritchie getting another start, but would have liked to see Dean involved in some capacity, certainly ahead of Strauss.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Blues Fri 29 Jan 2016, 12:34 pm

Coleman wrote:Wow our front row options on the bench are young. We have two tightheads as well. Wonder which one will be coming on as loose. Good to see Ma'afu in the team. Really looking forward to this game.

I'm pretty sure Thyer is a loose head, he's been selected there recently for the premiership select side. Looking forward to seeing Maafu, recon we'll win this one (famous last words!).

Don Blues

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jan 2016, 1:38 pm

Worrying lack of options at lock for Edinburgh, but otherwise it's pretty much as expected. Another start for young James Ritchie - he certainly can't complain about the opportunities Scottish rugby are giving him.

I think we'll struggle to be honest.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:20 pm

Don Blues wrote:
Coleman wrote:Wow our front row options on the bench are young. We have two tightheads as well. Wonder which one will be coming on as loose. Good to see Ma'afu in the team. Really looking forward to this game.

I'm pretty sure Thyer is a loose head, he's been selected there recently for the premiership select side. Looking forward to seeing Maafu, recon we'll win this one (famous last words!).

I thought he'd been playing tighthead for Ponty. Well if he is playing loose then even better. Very exciting Trio for us. I don't dare make a prediction.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 29 Jan 2016, 4:26 pm

Blues team is interesting. Hobbs must be injured, no idea how that front row will go, and not particularly happy to see Matthew Rees involved.

Bench is incredibly young, with a lot of promise, good to see them being given a chance rather that relying on journeymen as we have been doing. Danny Wilson is good at bringing through the youngsters.

Backrow and halfbacks are strong and need to perform if we are to win.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:58 pm

Looks quite a strong selection for blues considering missing players. Back row looks good.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm

I fear this is going to be a hammering. Coman shouldn't be anywhere near the engine room. Surely there are club players who could have started instead?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:35 pm

Edinburgh are absolutely awful tonight

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm

Breakdown is a complete shambles

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm

Tavis Knoyle is slightly slower than Lloyd Williams, and isn't making as many good decision. Need him to use his strength more, make some snipes and hold the Edinburgh backrow.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:54 pm

We should be further ahead. Need something more before halftime
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:54 pm

Sky sports have done great things to bring sport to the masses but the player mic is not one of them.....

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:02 pm

Edinburgh getting away with a LOT at the breakdown, slowing it down like crazy and the ref is giving them forever to move away
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:03 pm

True Raven wrote:Sky sports have done great things to bring sport to the masses but the player mic is not one of them.....

I for one, like it.

Dogged 1st half performance from Edinburgh, good defense.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

Should have been a yellow

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

furious

Great debut, Maafu is off with a yellow
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:25 pm

No wait, the ref has changed his mind...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:28 pm

How the hell was that not a card?

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:29 pm

Ref bottled because the TMO questioned it

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm

I think Edinburgh fans can feel quite hard done by

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:38 pm

That decision could have cost Edinburgh the game

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:43 pm

Terrible from Tonks

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next