The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if hatton didn't fight MP?

+13
compelling and rich
BALTIMORA
Bob
eddyfightfan
manos de piedra
Scottrf
Imperial Ghosty
TRUSSMAN66
zx1234
Lumbering_Jack
Young_Towzer
AlexHuckerby
MickeyGoldmill
17 posters

Go down

What if hatton didn't fight MP? Empty What if hatton didn't fight MP?

Post by MickeyGoldmill Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Hatton lost brutally and it finished him.

After Mayweather he came back with Lazcano and Malignaggi wins. Not top grade stuff but he didn't do too badly against the latter.

If he didn't fight MP where would he be today? Still in action? Who would he have fought and likely results?

Throwing a few out there:
Khan,
Cotto,
Marquez,
SSM,
Bradley

MickeyGoldmill

Back to top Go down

What if hatton didn't fight MP? Empty Re: What if hatton didn't fight MP?

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:36 pm

I would pick Bradley to take him, I think the Mayweather fight took a lot out of him, and you never see a great fighter knocked unconcious - and MP knocked him unconcious (As if you didn't know)
Bradley - would have had a bit too much in the tank for him at this stage, the bloating up and coming down shortened his career dramatically, I would pick Bradley in a close and tough fight but would have taken him imo.

Cotto - this would have meant going back up to Welterweight at the time I believe and he would have struggled against someone with such great boxing technique again just like Bradley but I think I lean to Cotto even more in this one.

Marquez - smaller and older PERHAPS Hattons amazing body punching ability would have taken enough away from MArquez to take him... PERHAPS

Shane Mosley - wouldn't have gone back down to LWW Ricky would probably have to go up to WW and I feel speed would have been too much and the power of Mosley would be too much (Don't forget at this time Mosley would be in his Margarito form)

Khan - A similar story to MP sadly, the speed would have just been too much for him at this stage, I think it would have taken a few more rounds but Khan to win with a stoppage.

Of course Ricky had the ability to take all these guys or get very close but apart from Marquez (Which is a little strange because he's quite possibly the best technical boxer there) I can't see him winning really. Pre - Mayweather? And maybe if he kept himself in shape, he would have put these guys to a real test.

Just rewatch that fight with Floyd and see how many punches he actually walked into, I didn't realise it at the time tbh, but the effect would have been detremental to him in honesty.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:40 pm

The Hatton who beat Malignaggi would of destroyed Khan IMO, Hatton's a different league to Maidana, in his prime Ricky could brush of big shots. Pacquiao was far too good and that did finish him, but against Malignaggi before hand i thought Hatton was brilliant. At the time if i'm honest i thought Hatton might be a little bit too big with Pacquiao, but Manny's mosquito assaults were far too much

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

you never see a great fighter knocked unconcious
Someone better tell Roy Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm

What if hatton didn't fight MP?
=========
He wouldn't of been rolled like a drunk?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm

DAVE667 wrote:you never see a great fighter knocked unconcious
IMO RJJ was slightly past it he was 34 and that head movement and reflexes only stay there for so long.
When Tarver got in the ring with him let's not forget RJJ had to "Drop 25 pounds of pure muscle and that took more out of me that I thought it would especially to be doing that at 34" Direct quote from RJJ let's not forget the previous performance wasn't anything to be marveled at. Think he was just off his peak the second that left hook of Tarvers landed it was RJJ's career over.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:14 pm

you never see a great fighter knocked unconcious

that wasn't the same roy jones, it was some sort of zombie look alike

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:22 pm

You never see a great fighter knocked unconscious.......

But you can see them rolled like drunks...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Better still someone tell Roberto Duran

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Better still someone tell Roberto Duran

not sure he would understand in english

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 pm

At least it brought it home to him that it was over.

He could have laboured to wins against some average fighters, with more of a struggle each time. Easy to say now but there were signs of him slipping and ultimately he would have lost to someone he'd have knocked out a few years before.

The guys you listed would either be above his best weight or are perhaps guys who would beat him anytime, or definitely with another couple of years on the clock.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Im not sure if there were that many signs he was slipping.

I remember after the Mayweather fight lots of corners were saying he should retire now with nothing else to prove. I thought it was it a bit much seeing as there good fights out there. I think it was just backlash and people felt his career was long enough.

Then there was the Lazcano fight and he shipped some punches in it and again people went overboard. Htton has always been easy to hit and he shipped far more punches in his fights with domestic level guys like Magee and Thaxton than he ever did against Lazcano.

After Malignaggi people were saying he had never looked as good.

I think he had bad training camp for Pacquiao, froze somewhat on the night, was a bit short of confidence and was up against a tremendous fighter.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Not that he was shot but missing a step, being affected more by punches, holding a lot against Lazcano, just not the same edge to him. Maybe part of that is unbeaten confidence.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Scottrf wrote:Not that he was shot but missing a step, being affected more by punches, holding a lot against Lazcano, just not the same edge to him. Maybe part of that is unbeaten confidence.

I didnt think he used his hit and hold style or shipped punishment particulalrly more or less than he had in the past if I am honest. I think the big thing was that it was supposed to be an easy nights work against a semi retired lightweight and he couldnt get rid of him. But to be fair, Lazcano shipped about 5 times the punishment Hatton did and I think it was down to a particularly gutsy display from him that saw him hear the final bell. But at the time he was getting a bit of battering. Had Hatton stopped him later on when Lazcano looked to be ready to go I dont think there would have been nearly as big a deal made.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:09 pm

i've no doubt that if hatton didnt fight mayweather or pac man he would probably be still fighting today, he did damage in those fight that was beyond repair, mentally and physically. he would probably be holding a belt or two as well.

Khan, if he fought the right fight ie on the back foot scoring points and using the jab could win hatton.
Cotto, maybe a bit to strong for hatton, but would give him a chance if hatton could score to the body and take some power away from cotto.
Marquez, to good and too skilled for hatton, tailor made for his style.
SSM, same problem as with cotto plus hatton would have to avoid the big KO punch full 12 rounds. not impossible but would favor SMM for this one.
Bradley, hatton gets the nod in this one for me. him and bradley are both relentless come forwards fighters and i think hatton was more accurate.

think hatton would have a lot of sucess and would have loved to see him against morales, think there styles suit. but most of all i would love to see him maidana, that would be an epic tear up (fancy hatton for the win)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:15 pm

I remember after the Mayweather fight lots of corners were saying he should retire now with nothing else to prove. I thought it was it a bit much seeing as there good fights out there. I think it was just backlash and people felt his career was long enough.
I think the Mayweather fight was a lot much mate to be honest, it never finished him at all, if he was finished he could of fooled me, the Hatton who beat Malignaggi was the most intelligent fighting style he ever produced that night

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm

think hatton would have a lot of sucess and would have loved to see him against morales, think there styles suit. but most of all i would love to see him maidana, that would be an epic tear up (fancy hatton for the win)
In his prime Ricky would of knocked him out imo. (Maidana)

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Steven_89 wrote:think hatton would have a lot of sucess and would have loved to see him against morales, think there styles suit. but most of all i would love to see him maidana, that would be an epic tear up (fancy hatton for the win)

agreed, but it would be one hell on a scrap. think hattons body shots would be the difference.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:think hatton would have a lot of sucess and would have loved to see him against morales, think there styles suit. but most of all i would love to see him maidana, that would be an epic tear up (fancy hatton for the win)

And when was young Ricky's prime? Was it beating the Great Tszyu? Struggling like hell with Maussa before the KO? Being outboxed by Collazo?

Hatton's prime made Tyson's look like the hundred years war, unless you throw it back to when he made his name dispatching domestic lightweights.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Him, and Duran, Hearns, Frazier...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:26 pm

hatton was a light welter so dont see why he would have been fighting cotto and mosley. he did step up couple of times and looked awful everytime at welter. at his best could see him beating khan and bradleyt all day. but around the time of mannys fight alot closer. khan around the time still hadnt been really tested so would still favor hatton despite not being near his best, would say the same about bradley not really beaten anyone at the time to suggest he could beat hatton.

JMM is alot tougher, stylewise i would give the advantage to jmm massivly, the major thing around this would be the weight. jmm is no light welter, hatton at his best could hurt him at the weight. we still dont know what was left of hatton. he was undoubtably poor against paco but who hasnt recently. would just favor jmm in that one

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Hatton was a fighter who had a massive career considering his limitations and his professionalism between fights.

He was popular so could pick and choose who he fought. Big ticket sales always get easy rides.

Froch who isn't a big name had a far harder path.

If Hatton had been unpopular I doubt he would have been at a level much above his brother.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:34 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:Hatton was a fighter who had a massive career considering his limitations and his professionalism between fights.

He was popular so could pick and choose who he fought. Big ticket sales always get easy rides.

If Hatton had been unpopular I doubt he would have been at a level much above his brother.

hatton was widely recoginsed at the number 1 at light welter for years, this had nothing to do with his fans.

his victory over KT had nothing to do with his fans

you trying to tell me matthew hatton could beat a slighty over the hill p4p great ha ha yeah right

Last edited by compelling and rich on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:49 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
ian_jamsie wrote:Hatton was a fighter who had a massive career considering his limitations and his professionalism between fights.

hatton was widely recoginsed at the number 1 at light welter for years, this had nothing to do with his fans.

his victory over KZ had nothing to do with his fans

you trying to tell me matthew hatton could beat a slighty over the hill p4p great ha ha yeah right

He spent his career dining out on the Tszyu win. We will never know how shot KT was, but Ricky never reached those lofty heights again 'cept in the minds of his most ardent fans.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:19 pm

zx1234 wrote:Better still someone tell Roberto Duran

not sure he would understand in english

Roberto - Usted nunca ve un gran boxeador golpeado hasta quedar inconsciente.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 pm

To answer the original question I don't think hatton wouldve beaten any of the fighters listed at the time he fought pacquiao - he just wouldn't have lost so quickly and brutally. He'd blown up in weight yet again, had never fully recovered mentally or otherwise from the mayweather loss and had been abusing his body with god knows what. Bradley and khan wouldve had to much energy and - crucially - speed for him, something he struggled with. Cotto and mosley are both too big and powerful for him, mosley at that time (4 months post margarito) wouldve ko'd Ricky, Cotto wouldve out boxed and out muscled him. Marquez wouldve been the closest fight as he's older and smaller, but he's also as hard as nails and a much more skilled technician. JMM has been knocking out good lightweights like Diaz, Casamayor and Katsidas, all of whom aren't that much smaller than Ricky, and if a lightweight in lazcano could have him in trouble then I'd back Marquez clean, hard punching to take him out.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 am

compelling and rich wrote:

his victory over KT had nothing to do with his fans

A lot of the rough housing Hatton did in that fight would have been stopped by some refs.

He fought KT just at the right time. Hatton had carefully arranged career that played entirely to his strengths. A fighter who didn't have an army of fans would never have been able to make those choices.

The Alphabets love money and will do anything to give popular or well watched fighters a leg up.

Look at Khan getting a shot at Kotelnik, never won a title at the lower weight, never even beat a ranked fighter at the lower weight.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:55 am

Writing was on the wall in the Lazcano fight, was in bad trouble and unfortunately a dominant performance against the pillow fighting Malignaggi only served to severly paper over the cracks.

To be honest he didn't look right in the Collazo fight. I'm going to trot out the frequent excuse that Hamed went downhill after splitting with Ingle and say that Hatton went down hill after splitting with his nutrionist (Kerry something?) and therefore if he'd stayed with him would've been a modern day great Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm

[b]

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah, Cotto quit. Riiight. Cotto would be too tidy, too sharp for Hatton. Hatton's not Margarito, with or without loaded gloves.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:40 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Yeah, Cotto quit. Riiight. Cotto would be too tidy, too sharp for Hatton. Hatton's not Margarito, with or without loaded gloves.

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Duran quit against Leonard. Ortiz quit against Maidana. Cotto was beaten to a pulp by a big pressure fighter with possibly loaded gloves.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:56 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Duran quit against Leonard. Ortiz quit against Maidana. Cotto was beaten to a pulp by a big pressure fighter with possibly loaded gloves.

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 am

Can't take you seriously, sorry.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down