The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England V SL 2nd Test Preview

+9
dummy_half
Cowshot
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
eirebilly
LivinginItaly
packofwolves
Carrotdude
hodge
msp83
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England V SL 2nd Test Preview - Page 2 Empty England V SL 2nd Test Preview

Post by msp83 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

so the 2nd test is here. can Lanka bounce back after that absolute shocker? will the momentum generated at Cardiff carry England through?
I think advantage England. they have momentum on their side. Cook, Trott and Bell scored 100s, Strauss has been in fine recent form, and Morgan is also coming off with good recent form. among the batters, only Kevin Pietersen's form is a matter of serious concern.
the bowling unit will certainly miss James Anderson, particularly if the ball is swinging. but then Steven Finn should make the 11 at his home ground where he has quite a good record. Finn's a wicket taker, even if his economy tends to be more on the rather expensive side. Chris Tremlett is in great form, and so is Graeme Swann. Stuart Broad has to get his act together, as he's going to be the leader of the attack. so rather than acting petulant, he'll do well to pitch it up, and look for available movement and use the short stuff sparingly. so other than KP's batting, which I am sure will be in place sooner rather than later, andAnderson's non-availability, England are in a much comfortable position.
Lanka's case is pretty different. the 2nd innings shocker is going to haunt them for some time, but they have a job at hand. their batting and bowling are in serious trouble. both Mahela and Sanga, the walls of their batting are yet to find form. with Prasanna batting a position too high at 6, it adds more pressure on the top order. may be they have to think about the balance of the side. Prasanna may have scored a fine 100 at 6, but then you do need your no 6 to be someone who can average more than 30. Dinesh Chandimal's a fine player and may be they have to bring him in. Maharoof hasn't done anything of note with the bat or ball, and if they go for 6 batters, I think it is he who should go out. also Velegadera the left-armer should come in place of the rather iineffective Ajantha Mendis. Dilhara Fernando should walking, in my view in place of Lakmal. may be the fresh hands will provide Lanka some much needed sharpness, and as they have done so often, surprise England.
hopes the pitch won't be a flat monster like that of Cardif, and the weather stays fine.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England V SL 2nd Test Preview - Page 2 Empty Re: England V SL 2nd Test Preview

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:51 am

Well colour me amazed.

Our top 7 batsmen are no doubt quaking in the dressing room at the thought of facing the Sri Lanknan "pace" attack.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

The only thing I can think is that Strauss must have seen some pace and bounce from this pitch and fancied getting the seamers on it sharpish before it wears...maybe thats what Dillers saw too if it isnt blind fear.

Personally, I think with Swann in the team you should always fancy bowling last.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

Strauss will be rubbing his hands at these conditions. I hope he gets a big score. 300 + should be the target today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

And 400+ tomorrow.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

I think Lanka has got so many things wrong at the outset. wrong combenation, unbalanced side, and a poor decision at the toss. only Dilhara Fernando's come back is the good news, but then they got the wrong person out in Parera.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Play about to get underway,come on England!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

msp83 wrote:I think Lanka has got so many things wrong at the outset. wrong combenation, unbalanced side, and a poor decision at the toss. only Dilhara Fernando's come back is the good news, but then they got the wrong person out in Parera.

Which will hopefully all be exposed by Englands batters.

Glad Fernando's playing easily Sri Lanka's best seamer.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

that said, time will tell.

Oh don't. My dicky ticker won't stand it. 7-3 by 11:30. England top three too relaxed after Monday. 220 all out a bit after tea. SL 80-0 by close.

It can't possibly happen. Can it? steam

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

No weird predictions cowshot Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

Cowshot wrote:
that said, time will tell.

Oh don't. My dicky ticker won't stand it. 7-3 by 11:30. England top three too relaxed after Monday. 220 all out a bit after tea. SL 80-0 by close.

It can't possibly happen. Can it? steam

More like Trott gets 220. Bowlers just can't seem to get him out.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

Would like to see Morgan get a good score today...or maybe tomorrow! I really want him to do well in test cricket.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

In a way I want KP to get a big score,he's got so much ability but just not proving it.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

I still dont see Mogs as a test player pack. I see him more as a T20 and ODI player. As an Irishman myself, i would like to see him do well though Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

eirebilly wrote:I still dont see Mogs as a test player pack. I see him more as a T20 and ODI player. As an Irishman myself, i would like to see him do well though Very Happy

Hildreth or Bopara for me should be in the side. But Morgans got a chance here to prove himself he could form into a brilliant test player aswell as a brilliant one day and T20 player
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

well colour me very amazed. looking like a good decision as well!

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

hopes KP gets a good score today and answer all the critiques. he's off the mark with that typical single.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

well he won't be answering many critics with that msp, we're in real trouble here. I did not expect to be 3 down for 22 this morning!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:06 pm

Hi Pack - this is very worrying, Pietersen could be on his way back to Surrey Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:52 pm

Guildford, I'm starting to think that might be a good idea for him. He's been struggling for some time now, that double ton in Aus took a lot of pressure off him but lets remember thats pretty much his only significant score in tests for the last 12 months. He's struggling alright.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm

Trouble is, Pack, he's not popular with the supporters at Surrey, seeming to show little allegiance to the county. To make matters worse, the highly popular and immensely talented Jason Roy was dropped for Pietersen's only 4 day game this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:21 pm

Unless one of the IPL teams wants to sign him, I think KP's best option is to retire and become a pundit. Rolling Eyes

I'd love to know what his problem is. Inability to concentrate? Nerves? Inability to read balls? Indecision?

Its got to the point that this is exactly what I expect every time KP comes out to bat. Whatever it is, England would be better off without him, until he deals with whatever problems he has.

Lucky for us we have other batsmen in far better form right now. Lets hope like hell, Cook and Bell can stick around. Pitch looks like its causing a few problems, but hardly demonic.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

I'm sure he will become instantly more popular if he goes back and scores 150 Guildford!
Seriously though I do understand where you're coming from. He seems almost like an additional overseas for you in the sense that he's not really "one of your own". Pietersen playing for Surrey is going to do very little to bring on the talents of players like Roy and Maynard.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

Let us not panic over a couple of failures. Anyone can get out early - I know they were both poor shots , probably a sign of being too keen to get the scoreboard moving , a flow on from his obvious loss of confidence - but he is just too good a player to give up on so soon.

A hundred in the second innings and he'd be back in business. Don't bet against it.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

I think you're being a little kind calling it a "couple of failures" there alfie. His last significant test innings was that double hundred in Aus.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 03 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

Hi again Pack - I take the point entirely in your earlier post about the fickleness of sports supporters!

Nonetheless, as you also say, he just doesn't seem ''one of our own''. Earlier this week, someone set up a thread on the Surrey board seeking our current best XI. It was several posts in before Pietersen was remembered/mentioned!

I also don't agree with Alfie about it being ''just a couple of failures''. To me, the guy looks confused and mentally shot. Cue a double hundred in the second innings!

PS Congratulations, Pack, on The Great Escape!

Last edited by guildfordbat on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

OK I take the point he has been a bit iffy for a while - my reference to a couple of failures was just about this summer , as I figure once he started the series in the team he was always guaranteed the three games to find some form.

You can argue the point but I reckon his past record earned him that sort of latitude , once the management had concluded his heart was still in it, as I presume they have.

If he doesn't score runs in the next (three?) innings then yes, his place will be under severe scrutiny.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Alfie, I take the point of him being given a few matches in the English summer to get back into the swing of things, but the fact is three more innings is the end of the series with Sri Lanka. If it is then decided he is not in a good enough frame of mind/still bad form/technical issues you're rather up a creek without a paddle. Are you going to throw someone new in against the number one test side, or continue with a guy who looks shot?

Cheers Guildford! The final day of the season was without doubt the most nervous I have ever been. Talk about going through the mill!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

Well , packofwolves, I should think they'll be hoping that KP will recover his form so that decision doesn't have to be made.

Granted a debut against India is a tougher start for a new chap , but Test cricket isn't meant to be easy. I certainly don't believe in making a premature change just on the assumption that the worst will happen...

I guess it comes down to whether you think KP is washed up , or just having a run of outs , and here I think we disagree.

One way or another , we will find out in the weeks to come , eh?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

i wouldn't say I believe him to be washed up. I think he's got some major technical issues which, granted have always been there, are no longer compensated for by his confidence, conviction and excellent eye. I think the only way he's going to get that confidence back at the moment is with a prolonged spell of county cricket.

Although, I really hope he proves me wrong with a big hundred in the second digs.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Pack / Alfie,

I'm not convinced he's got the appetite for ''a prolonged spell of county cricket''. I therefore think it may be a case of all or bust .... Whistle

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

I'd agree there, guildford

KP will either get it back in the international arena , or not at all. And I think they'll give him a bit more time to do so.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 11:24 am

KP did carry the England batting for quite some time before the ECB induced disaster. Even after that, he has been making significant contribution, all be it a bit too inconsistently. But at the moment, he seems to be struggling, and the left-arm spinners have got into his mind. I think he's too good a player to be given up on. Rahul Dravid had almost 3 lean years after 2006, before coming back to decent form with a 100 against Pietersen's England. I believe world class players like KP do deserve that additional bit of time to get back. Hopes he comes back soon.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2