The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years

+9
AlexHuckerby
Mr Bounce
TopHat24/7
Lance
BoxingFan88
Coxy001
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
13 posters

Go down

Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years Empty Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years

Post by hazharrison Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:12 am

Looks like we may have to forget this one. Golovkin's contingency plans include Jacobs (for WBC belt), DeGale and Ramirez (who looks set to end Abraham's ABC reign).

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/411895-golovkin-its-not-legal-for-canelo-to-wait-two-years-for-their-fight#.VsZRRgIJ6YA.twitter

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years Empty Re: Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:14 am

We'll see...........He's been wanting to fight somebody decent for years..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years Empty Re: Canelo: Golovkin Fight Can Wait Two Years

Post by hazharrison Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:15 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We'll see...........He's been wanting to fight somebody decent for years..

If he can get the WBC belt then he may move on to '68.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:17 am

Let's hope he gets on with it....

Love to see Degale v GGG......Or if he is as good as I think he is Callum Smith v GGG when he wins a strap..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

I think if Canelo won't fight, he would be better to make the move. For financial reasons, as well as legacy.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:40 pm

I wonder if Ring Mag will strip him like they stripped Rigo!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

Canelo = joke. Fighting a blown up WW who has no standout wins above 140 and claims to be the MW champ.

Kind of hoping Khan sparks him now..... No, wait..... I take that back

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 2:16 pm

He is a middleweight champion like it or not.....Not the best one..

Cotto did beat the middleweight champion so it was a good win for Canelo....

Whether catchweight should be allowed is a different matter...I think not..

But he beat the reigning champion.

Say something nice about a fighter for once..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He is a Caneloweight champion like it or not.....Not the best one..

Cotto did beat the middleweight champion so it was a good win for Canelo....

Whether catchweight should be allowed is a different matter...I think not..

But he beat the reigning champion.

Say something nice about a fighter for once..

Fixed that for you Smile

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:01 pm

Canelo weight. .

Don't give the alphabets any ideas.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

It's ironic how some blame Floyd for draining Canelo to 152. Canelo won't even defend the 160 belt.

Anyway I do like Canelo as a fighter, I'm just saying.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

It's not Canelos fault GGG hasnt managed to fight a good boxer in 5 years.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 19 Feb 2016, 5:32 pm

This sort of thing depresses me. "I'm the champ - the man who beat the man! Therefore I don't give a stuff about my most dangerous challenger - he can wait. Instead I will defend against someone who's never fought at this weight. Or the one below it. Oh, and it will be at a weight that I dictate".

And because he is a money-spinner he gets away with it. This is why I rate fighters who don't care who their opponent is - they just want to test themselves. There should be rules for each council/federation/association/organisation/whatever they call themselves that a) any fighter who wins a title at a weight cannot make weight stipulations for their opponents at that weight and b) they must fight their No1 challenger within a set time or be stripped with NO EXCEPTIONS.

Canelo is an exciting fighter, but Cotto and him have turned the WBC Middleweight belt into a joke.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 5:34 pm

Never been any different mate

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 19 Feb 2016, 7:14 pm

I've never known a fighter invent his own weight limit. This type of thing has never been as prevalent (cash cows dictating catch weights).

Oscar was pictured schmoozing Jerry Jones today - so we can live in hope that it does go ahead in Texas (where the officials are known for their competence!).

As an aside: I read that Cotto vs Provodnikov is on deck. That would be violent!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm

Wow, Cotto Provodnikov, it's like how much punishment would Provodnikov have to walk through to get to his man. Good money fight for him, but even with how tough he is I dunno if he can consistently get close enough to Cotto to make an impact. Will be savage while it lasts might be the one where Prov finally gets koed

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

Canelo will avoid the GGG fight. He's the money maker for Goldenboy now (and has been for a few years) so it wouldn't make sense for Oscar to throw him in with GGG and kill a little of his aura when he's just done the same with Lemieux.

Canelo has gone through a pretty good list of fighters so far in his career and he's still a kid so I'll cut him some slack.

Golovkin will have to move up to get the fights that he needs for his legacy. I know there's the argument that he wants to unify middle but he's 34 now. How long can he wait for a fight that may never happen?
He can't wait as long as Pacquaio did for the Floyd fight as he'd be 40 years old by then. Better off moving up to a Degale fight. Probably unify Supermiddle in a quarter of the time that it would take to unify middle.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:45 pm

Thats interesting. I could swear I read yesterday that Loeffleur said contracts for the winner of Canelo-Khan were signed. Poor from Canelo if true. Then again this is almost word for word what OdlH said about Lemmy before tossing him up to GGG so let's see
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:56 pm

kingraf wrote:Thats interesting. I could swear I read yesterday that Loeffleur said contracts for the winner of Canelo-Khan were signed. Poor from Canelo if true. Then again this is almost word for word what OdlH said about Lemmy before tossing him up to GGG so let's see

Think the contract is for the winner to negotiate a fight with GGG within 15 days or lose the belt.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:39 pm

Wonder if the WBC actually have the cojones to follow through and strip him. Or will they find some other exemption for Canelo?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 20 Feb 2016, 7:15 am

Can you just imagine Khan somehow get st he upset.....

Khan vs GGG.

That would be the end of Amirs career....no....life.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Feb 2016, 5:26 pm

I remember when Curtis Stevens created that funeral for GGG, looks a bit silly now doesnt it?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnPrescottsJab Sat 20 Feb 2016, 9:55 pm

This could probably be the next Mayweather vs Pacquiao saga in the sense it could be many years before it finally happens. We could hear about this fight for years, countless articles, comparisons, who would win, people siding with Canelo, others with Golovkin, people making excuses for either party and all that business. I feel like I don't wanna hear about it no more till they sign on the dotted line

JohnPrescottsJab

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 20 Feb 2016, 10:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I remember when Curtis Stevens created that funeral for GGG, looks a bit silly now doesnt  it?

It looked a bit silly at the time to be fair. Stevens stayed hit. He's still walking around with his eyes popping out of his head!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Feb 2016, 10:59 pm

The look of utter devastation and shock on Stevens face when he, ironically, got taken out by a left hook.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:03 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:I remember when Curtis Stevens created that funeral for GGG, looks a bit silly now doesnt  it?

ONETWO continues to look silly on that on a regular basis.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down