The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazed

+3
Fists of Fury
Scottrf
eirebilly
7 posters

Go down

Amazed Empty Amazed

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Hello all;

I must say that i am amazed at the amount of posts here on the boxing forum. I had no idea that boxing was still this popular.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Amazed Empty Re: Amazed

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 pm

It's not, but boxing has the best fans (and like to debate the most trivial details) thumbsup

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:32 pm

There are some very knowledgable lads on the boxing board here. I think this site has more posts already than te 606 did in its entire history
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Boxing will live on, my friend. Still the top sport in my eyes.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 pm

I must admit to not watching boxing so much these days, just the big fights. I was a big fan during the 80's and 90's. When i was in Austrailia for a year working i lived 3 doors away from kostya tszu in Sans Suci. I met him a few times, he could'nt speak much English but he was a hell of a boxer. I was also a huge fan of Jeff Fenech.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Kostya Tszyu was inducted into the hall of fame this year thumbsup

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Was he? Well done to him. Genuine nice guy.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Oddly I'm actually more into boxing than ever. I seem to have become very interested in the history of the sport and the great characters who have lit up the ring.

I've just finished two great books on boxing actually if anyone is interested.

Fighters: The sad lives and deaths of Freddie Mills and Randolph Turpin by James Morton
and
Wales and its boxers by peter stead and Gareth Williams

The first one is interesting in itself as a background to two great English fighters but the second one gives great sociological background to greats like Jim Driscoll and Freddie Welsh and tries to explain why boxing has such appeal in Wales.

Anyway just thought I'd share...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I read a book last year about the life of Jack Johnson. It was a great read for anyone interested.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Pretty common books, but Four Kings, covering the careers of Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard, and 'Hands of Stone' a biography of Duran's career are cracking reads.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Eire, would guess that is Unforgivable Blackness by Ward, is a decent read but suffers from far too many footnotes IMO

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 pm

rowley wrote:Eire, would guess that is Unforgivable Blackness by Ward, is a decent read but suffers from far too many footnotes IMO
It's better for that in the second half I thought.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Agreed Scott, at the start it was ridiculous, just spoils the flow of the text. For me it seemed really pretentious. Just seemed to be trying to give the book the veneer of being academic which it really didn't need as this aside and the fact it gets a little dry at times it is a very good book.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm

also Bare fists by bob mee is a brilliant book...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Yep that was the book rowley, i quite enjoyed it. Hard lives those boys had back then
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm sure jeff would appreciate reviews!

https://www.606v2.com/t5564-boxing-book-reviews

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:19 pm

mckay1402 wrote:also Bare fists by bob mee is a brilliant book...

Totally agree, am fascinated by the barknuckle era (not Mclean and those idiots) and Mee does an excellent job covering the major names and fights. Wish he would write more as he is excellent and his knowledge is faultess. His last book was a real disappointment though was about Ali and Liston and is well enough written but the subject has been done to death and to be honest the book covers pretty much the same subject as David Remnick's King of the World, which is if I'm honest a far superior book.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Scottrf wrote:I'm sure jeff would appreciate reviews!

https://www.606v2.com/t5564-boxing-book-reviews

Too right Scott, do feel I am fighting a lost cause a little on that one, but be it blind faith or stupidity I do intend to plough on with it. Have visions in about 12 months of it just ending up a list of reviews of every boxing book I've ever read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 pm

You read the Fleicher one Jeff? Forget the exact name but every champion from Cribb to Louis, published 1949.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 pm

No I haven't Scott, to be honest have read plenty about the old timers but not really any by the old time writers. Have just been to New York and managed to get a copy of Dempsey's biography signed by him which is taking pride of place at the minute. Unfortunately though daren't actually risk reading it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:Was he? Well done to him. Genuine nice guy.

Apart from the occasional low blow to slow down an opponent Wink

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 pm

After reading through these coments i see some good books that i will have to get. Thanks lads OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 pm

rowley wrote:Eire, would guess that is Unforgivable Blackness by Ward, is a decent read but suffers from far too many footnotes IMO

You know, I thought it benefited from the footnotes, although you're right, they are numerous. I'm currently shuffling my way through 'Jack Dempsey & The Roaring 20s', and by contrast it seems a bit too sycophantic at times. I believe the author was friendly with Dempsey, so possibly not the best first choice to write a biography on him if impartiality is desired. Still, it's not a bad read although it's taking me ages as I rarely read outside of the journey to work, and I've also started on Otty's Burley book, which isn't helping.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Balti bought the Kahn Dempsey book in the states, would agree 100% about his opinion of Dempsey, I'm a Dempsey fan but dear god reading Kahn gets to be like reading a biography of Manny that was written by D4. The man refuses to say anything even vaguely negative about him. Have to say I much preferred Roberts' Dempsey book. The Otty book on the other hand is terrific.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:20 pm

It's not that Kahn's book is all bad, because he paints a vivid backdrop for the Dempsey story, but as you say he's so biased it's untrue. I found myself reading it the same way I read tabloid newspapers; picking up on the facts and filtering out the hyperbole. Shame. It is very much in the D4 vein as you mention.

The Otty book I'm not far into, but so far it's good. Knew nought about him aside from what I'd read on here, so figured I'd give it a go. Only gripe I have with it is that there are a few (admittedly minor and scarcely relevant) spelling discrepancies. Undermines what seems to be a quality read.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:09 am

alma wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:also Bare fists by bob mee is a brilliant book...

I wish Sky would use Bob Mee more. Just having him for the occasional tale of the tape is criminal really, given how vast his knowledge is

He does do a few bits on ringside every week.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down