The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team

+8
asoreleftshoulder
HammerofThunor
LordDowlais
SecretFly
whocares
dummy_half
fa0019
GunsGerms
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team Empty South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm

15. Scott Spedding
14. Hal Luscome
13. Brian Liebenberg
12. Brad Barrett
11. Nick Abendanon
10. Mike Catt
9. Rory Kockett
8. CJ Stander
7. Bernard Le Roux
6. Antoine Classen
5. Mouritz Botha
4. Quintin Geldenhuys
3. W.P. Nel
2. Richardt Strauss
1. Matt Stevens

1. Brett Wilkinson
7. Dion O'Cuinneagain
7. Hendrie Fourie
8. Dries van Schalkwyk
12. Staurt Abbott
6. Josh Strauss
4. Carlo Del Fava
9. Tobie Botes
1. Pieter DeVilliers

Coach: Nick Mallet

Did I miss anyone? Is this the best South African 6 nations team of all time?

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:10 pm; edited 5 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team Empty Re: South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

Antonie Claassen was an awesome player for a time.

Rory Kockott probably better than Tobie Botes.

Fourie? Wasn't he a flanker?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team Empty Re: South Africa's Greatest Ever Six Nations Team

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:17 pm

Ha you are right he was. Not sure who I'm confusing him for. Have added the other too also. Thanks.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

They could do with spedding now.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

Its a good team isn't it? Id say they could come 2nd in the 6 nations.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:24 pm

Imagine what those players be like if their heart was truly into it? Guys like WP Nel seem a bit subdued. I reckon he would perform far more with a bok jersey on his chest.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:28 pm

fa0019 wrote:Imagine what those players be like if their heart was truly into it? Guys like WP Nel seem a bit subdued. I reckon he would perform far more with a bok jersey on his chest.

You couldn't accuse Mike Catt, CJ Stander, Dion O'Cuinnigean and some others of not having their heart in it. CJ even got lessons so he could sing the anthem every time. Half the Ireland team don't even sing the anthem.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:33 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Imagine what those players be like if their heart was truly into it? Guys like WP Nel seem a bit subdued. I reckon he would perform far more with a bok jersey on his chest.

You couldn't accuse Mike Catt, CJ Stander, Dion O'Cuinnigean and some others of not having their heart in it. CJ even got lessons so he could sing the anthem every time. Half the Ireland team don't even sing the anthem.

Singing anthem is a little different. Pay me enough and I'll belt out the fields of Athenrye no worry! Smile

O'Cuinnigean da was Irish, Catt's mum was English. They had ties.

Stander and Nel are about as Irish and Scottish respectively as Colonel Sanders. They're pros and good ones but I still think there is no way they could perform for their country like they could of their "adopted" home.

and when I say adopted I mean "for the stay" too. (a bit like prison right Shocked ). They'll all go home when their career ends.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:36 pm

Are there enough players to put together equivalent NZ and Australia teams? Could certainly do a non-England English team.
What about a non tier 1 nations team? Got the likes of Corbisiero at prop, Simon Shaw in the 2nd row, Heaslip at 8, ROG at 10, Yarde on the wing. Any more contributions?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:39 pm

I think birth place shouldn't be counted to this.

Shaw was from an English family, brought up English.
Heaslip da was a soldier and his family took him abroad etc.

Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse necessarily. If you're born, raised and ancestrally outside your representative nation then sure. If it was a case of your parents working abroad for a few years its not quite the same thing.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:45 pm

the Pieter de Villiers I know was a TH and great one for France. At the same time we also had Brian Liebenberg at centre.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:48 pm

ended up coaching the boks too (PdV)... scrum coach not the the media darling coach from 2008-2011.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:50 pm

whocares wrote:the Pieter de Villiers I know was a TH and great one for France. At the same time we also had Brian Liebenberg at centre.

Ah yes. Brain not working today. Was thinking of Tony Marsh who isn't even South African.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm

dummy_half wrote:Are there enough players to put together equivalent NZ and Australia teams? Could certainly do a non-England English team.
What about a non tier 1 nations team? Got the likes of Corbisiero at prop, Simon Shaw in the 2nd row, Heaslip at 8, ROG at 10, Yarde on the wing. Any more contributions?

David Denton Zimbabwe
Jordi Murphy Spain
Abdel Benazzi Morocco

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm

Oh here we go..... "Our Foreign Legion are less foreign than your ones"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:52 pm

To be fair guns when I looked at some of those names the brain took a while to engage too.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:53 pm

zimbabwe could have had an awesome team though.

Mujati, Mtawarira, Chavanga, Skinstad, Thom Evans, Max Evans, Garvey, Teichmann.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:56 pm

Thankfully Wales are not half as bad for this sort of thing since the farce Graham Henry capped. From memory, Hal Luscome, Andy Marinos, Bret Sinkinson and Peter Rogers are the only South Africans we have capped, so that is about 4 in about twenty years, and to be fair, I think two of those had Welsh parents.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:57 pm

How does Max Evans qualify for Zimbabwe? I know Thom was born there but Max was born in England.

Is this the first time in a while that England have had no South African links (closest being Zimbabwean Ewers)?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:59 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:How does Max Evans qualify for Zimbabwe? I know Thom was born there but Max was born in England.

Is this the first time in a while that England have had no South African links (closest being Zimbabwean Ewers)?

Family from there no and he lived there as a child at the least?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:00 pm

Must have because Thom was born there but that doesn't make him qualified for them. I was under the impression one parent was Scottish and the other English. Not sure about grandparents.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:08 pm

quick question for FA : are the baby bocks (U20) the south African designated 2nd team ? if not steven kitshoff will probably be in this list in 3 years time Wink

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Thankfully Wales are not half as bad for this sort of thing since the farce Graham Henry capped. From memory, Hal Luscome, Andy Marinos, Bret Sinkinson and Peter Rogers are the only South Africans we have capped, so that is about 4 in about twenty years, and to be fair, I think two of those had Welsh parents.

Is England not another Nation then? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Thankfully Wales are not half as bad for this sort of thing since the farce Graham Henry capped. From memory, Hal Luscome, Andy Marinos, Bret Sinkinson and Peter Rogers are the only South Africans we have capped, so that is about 4 in about twenty years, and to be fair, I think two of those had Welsh parents.

Is England not another Nation then? Wink

You just had to open the box didn't you!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:11 pm

fa0019 wrote:zimbabwe could have had an awesome team though.

Mujati, Mtawarira, Chavanga, Skinstad, Thom Evans, Max Evans, Garvey, Teichmann.

Pocock and Denton

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:12 pm

It's ok, as long as Ireland can keep beefing out their teams with South Africans then I can keep the moral high ground. angel

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:14 pm

whocares wrote:quick question for FA : are the baby bocks (U20) the south African designated 2nd team ? if not steven kitshoff will probably be in this list in 3 years time Wink

David Bulbring has also said he wants to play for Wales. He has played for SA under 20s.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:15 pm

Scarlets SA lock David Bulbring says he wants to play for Wales.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:16 pm

GunsGerms wrote:David Bulbring has also said he wants to play for Wales.

He has only said that, so that he can get a longer contract with Scarlets. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by LordDowlais on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:17 pm

thanks GG, that's clear.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:19 pm

Guns

Great shout on Benazzi. Hadn't considered the French Africans, which also could bring in Betsen (Cameroon). Pretty sure there've been a couple of others.

Had no idea about Jordi Murphy, and we can add Charlie Sharples (born Hong Kong) to the side.
So, so far the non-main nations we have:
1 - Corbs
2 -
3 -
4 - Simon Shaw
5 - Abdel Bennazzi
6 - Dave Denton
7 - Serge Betsen
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Jordi Murphy as reserve)

9 - (I thought Joe Simpson from Wasps, but he was NZ born)
10 - Ronan O'Gara
11 - Marland Yarde
12 -
13 -
14 - Charlie Sharples / Thom Evans
15 - Best I can come up with is Serge Blanco (born in Venezuela), but he retired well before the 6Ns began

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:19 pm

whocares wrote:quick question for FA : are the baby bocks (U20) the south African designated 2nd team ? if not steven kitshoff will probably be in this list in 3 years time Wink

No they are not.

Kitsoff is a big loss. Everyone has said it. Meyer vision was limited to the highveld only. "Plays for the bulls you say.... get him in the side".

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It's ok, as long as Ireland can keep beefing out their teams with South Africans then I can keep the moral high ground. angel

We're actually moving on to Kiwi's at this stage,oddly enough all the Aussies we cap seem to have family ties.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:22 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:It's ok, as long as Ireland can keep beefing out their teams with South Africans then I can keep the moral high ground. angel

We're actually moving on to Kiwi's at this stage,oddly enough all the Aussies we cap seem to have family ties.

Owning a Irish wolfhound does not count as family ties!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:25 pm

I wonder if we could do a full England foreign team. (Don't get all serious, its just a bit of fun. Some have been a long time I know. )

1 Mako
2 Hartley
3 Stevens
4 Botha
6 Billy V (Nathan Hughes - Is a certainty aswell!)
7 Fourie / Lipman
8 Waldrom / Ewers

10 Henry Paul
11 Vainikolo
12 Hape/Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Rokodugunni
15 Mike Catt

Struggling with a couple of positions, and haven't included the Nigerian contingent - Harriman, Ubogu , Ojomoh, Adedayo etc....

But not a bad side.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:27 pm

fa0019 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Actually if one of your grandparents owned one that will do us.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:27 pm

dewi morris for 9

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:27 pm

Heres a list of Welsh world cup squad players born outside of Wales.

Players: Tomas Francis and Aaron Jarvis born in England and qualify through Welsh grandparents; Luke Charteris, Matthew Morgan, Hallam Amos, Dan Lydiate, Alex Cuthbert, Jake Ball and George North born England qualify through Welsh parents or/and residency; James King born Australia qualifies residency; Taulupe Faletau born Tonga qualifies residency.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:28 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

or the Jack Charlton special right.... "like Guinness"?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:28 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:How does Max Evans qualify for Zimbabwe? I know Thom was born there but Max was born in England.

No South Africans but you do have 2 Kiwis, 2 Germans, 2 Aussies, 1 Zimbabwean, 1 Samoan, one Fijian and one St Lucian born player in your squad.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:28 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Heres a list of Welsh world cup squad players born outside of Wales.

Players: Tomas Francis and Aaron Jarvis born in England and qualify through Welsh grandparents; Luke Charteris, Matthew Morgan, Hallam Amos, Dan Lydiate, Alex Cuthbert, Jake Ball and George North born England qualify through Welsh parents or/and residency; James King born Australia qualifies residency; Taulupe Faletau born Tonga qualifies residency.

think Davies was born in England too.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I wonder if we could do a full England foreign team. (Don't get all serious, its just a bit of fun. Some have been a long time I know. )

1 Mako
2 Hartley
3 Stevens
4 Botha
7 Fourie / Lipman
8 Waldrom / Ewers

10 Henry Paul
11 Vainikolo
12 Hape/Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Rokodugunni
15 Mike Catt

Struggling with a couple of positions, and haven't included the Nigerian contingent - Harriman, Ubogu , Ojomoh, Adedayo etc....

But not a bad side.

Kieran Bracken at 9. Shaw at 5.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:31 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:I wonder if we could do a full England foreign team. (Don't get all serious, its just a bit of fun. Some have been a long time I know. )

1 Mako
2 Hartley
3 Stevens
4 Botha
7 Fourie / Lipman
8 Waldrom / Ewers

10 Henry Paul
11 Vainikolo
12 Hape/Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Rokodugunni
15 Mike Catt

But not a bad side.

wasn't it that Ireland looked at Bracken and said he was gash?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:31 pm

fa0019 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

or the Jack Charlton special right.... "like Guinness"?

Tony Cascarino http://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/oct/29/newsstory.sport12

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:32 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

1 Mako
2 Hartley
3 Stevens
4 Botha
7 Fourie / Lipman
8 Waldrom / Ewers

10 Henry Paul
11 Vainikolo
12 Hape/Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Rokodugunni
15 Mike Catt

But not a bad side.

Yeah, but I was trying to think of more clear cut foreign born...not just actually born with very limited time in that country

I forgot Flutey aswell.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:34 pm

From memory, here is a list of players capped by Wales, who had no link to the country other than three years living here:-

Shane Howarth (he was actually capped by New Zealand and lied about his lineage)
Bret Sinkinson (lied about his grand farther being born in Camarthen)
Hal Luscombe (residency)
Brent Cockbain (residency)
Hemi Taylor (residency)
Matt Cardy (residency)
Andy Marinos (residency)

I am trying to think of more but for the life of me cannot. Also, Andy Marinos can be added to the Zimbabwe side he was born in Harare.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

was it lies LD or was it genuine mistakes?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:37 pm

fa0019 wrote:

wasn't it that Ireland looked at Bracken and said he was gash?

That's a horrible word. Haha. Don't think Bracken ever considered playing for Ireland. Think he was rejected by London Irish though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:37 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Heres a list of Welsh world cup squad players born outside of Wales.

I think you will find the only one in that list that has NO ties to Wales whatsoever is Tomas Francis other than a Welsh grandparent. The rest of those either grew up in Wales from a very young age, or have played ALL their rugby through the Welsh age grade systems.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:38 pm

Chris Horstman, prop for Wales only link was living in Wales. Think he may be coaching their under 20's team now?

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next