The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greb v Ketchel

+10
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
Sir. badgerhands
Rowley
azania
oxring
Soldier_Of_Fortune
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
The genius of PBF
14 posters

Go down

Greb v Ketchel Empty Greb v Ketchel

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

Harry Greb vs Stanley Ketchel. Who wins?

What do the 606 members think???

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Greb v Ketchel Empty Re: Greb v Ketchel

Post by coxy0001 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

I see Shantel Jackson's Boyfriend is back.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt for the meantime Ketchell was too crude and simplistic for Greb for me, the former most certainly could bang but his rugged style would not be enough for the more talented Greb.

Greb is the #1 MW by some stretch, had an awesome chin and would've simply overwhelmed Ketchell by landing punches more frequently but would have to absorb some coming in.

Simply too much class against a crude banger to lose for me. Late brutal stoppage after a war

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

One of the most compelling and exciting fantasy fights in the entire history of boxing, for me.

Terribly difficult to call, and there being little footage of Ketchel and none of Greb it makes it even harder. I've seen some very good arguments in support of Ketchel offered by folks whose opinions I have learned to respect, and there's no doubt that his work rate would have been the equal of Greb and his power punching superior to that of Greb. However, Greb's record is choc full of ATGs - big, small, boxers, swarmers, sluggers - and I have to follow my gut feeling that he would have found a way to beat Stan.

This one is as tough to call as Duran v Benny Leonard, though, and I wouldn't argue with anybody who sees it for Ketchel, who is my idea of the third best middle of all time, behind only Greb and Monzon.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

Haha Coxy beat me to it.

What happened to am not banned and am not going on 606v2 again.

Couldnt resist

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

Nice to see him make the leap from articles entitled, "POOCHIAO take the test!!" to simply ripping off articles from seasoned 606er's. Spent the past few months doing on 606 as no-one there knew who he was so he could pretend he was some kind of expert

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

[b]

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

New start, benefit of the doubt please everyone. Now debate the article.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

As I say, PBF, I can see it both ways.

As to the broader issue, folks, the admin and mod teams being comprised of awfully nice chaps of charitable disposition, our philosophy is that a second chance means a clean slate, so let's all try to let bygones be and play nice.

Season of goodwill, and all. Only 204 days to Christmas, doncha know ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Does anyone want my opinion?

Anyway, here goes. Greb by late KO. Greb could handle whatever style came his way and dish out some serious punishment (and take some also). Great fighter...for his era.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

Allowing for the obvious fact that Pavlik beats them both in the same night have to lean towards Greb on this one, whilst Stanley has the edge in power and is one of the few fighters who can match Harry for sheer ferocity think what is sometimes underlooked with Greb is how hard he was to hit such was his movement and the sheer volume he sent in your direction.

Whilst reports suggest he was fairly crude it took astute clever boxers to solve the riddles Greb presented and even the peerless Tunney took a few fights to truly get on top of him and this was only on the back of advice from Benny Leonard. For all his gifts cuteness was not one Stan had in abundance and for this thing he simply does not land enough to get the nod over stan.

And to show I am a classy guy, welcome back PBF

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

azania wrote:Does anyone want my opinion?

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Here's a clue.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Here's a clue.

Think I covered Az' opinion in the opening line of my previous post

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Windy and rowley, dont derail a very good thread please.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

Being honest I have no idea who would win this.

There is so little footage of these two that you're down to relying on eyewitness accounts. I think the only footage of Greb is training footage and the only footage I've seen of Ketchel is the Jack Johnson fight and some photo's of the Papke fight.

What I do know however is that it's a fight I'd love to see, these two wouldn't take a step back and it would be an absolute bloodbath whoever won.

How's that for fence sitting!!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

rowley wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Here's a clue.

Think I covered Az' opinion in the opening line of my previous post

Bit too subtle for me, jeff. I take my buffoonery straight and undiluted, and to that end I only have eyes for az' rich palette of colours.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

rowley wrote:Allowing for the obvious fact that Pavlik beats them both in the same night have to lean towards Greb on this one, whilst Stanley has the edge in power and is one of the few fighters who can match Harry for sheer ferocity think what is sometimes underlooked with Greb is how hard he was to hit such was his movement and the sheer volume he sent in your direction.

Whilst reports suggest he was fairly crude it took astute clever boxers to solve the riddles Greb presented and even the peerless Tunney took a few fights to truly get on top of him and this was only on the back of advice from Benny Leonard. For all his gifts cuteness was not one Stan had in abundance and for this thing he simply does not land enough to get the nod over stan.

And to show I am a classy guy, welcome back PBF

Kelly Pavlik beats both, are you drunk? laughing

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Great chin of Greb negates Ketchel's main strength IMO, put in his incredible stamina and I'd go for an ugly Greb decision.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

azania wrote:Windy and rowley, dont derail a very good thread please.

Coming from you, this comment is akin to Fred West encouraging the setting up of Neighbourhood Watch.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

PBF i'll let that one pass as you are new back on here so probably don't understand the gentle chiding of another user in the comment. I assure you if you revisit the comment in a fortnight it will make perfect sense.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:56 pm

well twice a day a stopped clock is correct.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

azania wrote:well twice a day a stopped clock is correct.

Which would be at least once more than you are.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

azania wrote:well twice a day a stopped clock is correct.

If only you could manage such a batting average

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

Snap !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Hmmm. Are you taking the P?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

azania wrote:Hmmm. Are you taking the P?

Of course not, az. Wouldn't want you to lose so much weight.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

Ketchel from what i've seen is basically just an animal..The few clips of the Johnson fight showed a limited slugger who was wide open..

Greb is regarded as the greatest middle of alltime...

Doesn't really need much analysis...

Greb all night long..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

Would be an ugly fight to watch thats for sure and while Ketchel was a seriously big puncher he'd be in against one of the most rugged and durable fighters of all time in Greb which like Scotty said would negate Stans main weapon. Anyone who had the beating of Tunney at least once would surely have the beating of Ketchel too regardless of his style which incidentally I can see Greb absolutely loving.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

Greb, too tough and durable, not far behind in the punching stakes, beat better level of opposition in his career. Good fantasy fight but only one winner IMO.

Genius of pbf/ SJB - if the mods see fit to extend you an olive branch then I'm man enough to do the same, let's keep it boxing.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Being honest I have no idea who would win this.

There is so little footage of these two that you're down to relying on eyewitness accounts. I think the only footage of Greb is training footage and the only footage I've seen of Ketchel is the Jack Johnson fight and some photo's of the Papke fight.

What I do know however is that it's a fight I'd love to see, these two wouldn't take a step back and it would be an absolute bloodbath whoever won.

How's that for fence sitting!!!

There is now footage of the Ketchel/Papke fight Badger.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:13 pm

How would they fare against Jamie Moore?

Greb all the way for me by virtue of him being born after Ketchel and having benefitted from almost a decade of human evolution.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down