The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team to face New Zealand

+30
Knowsit17
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
wayne
GavinDragon
chris_501
Not grey and not a ghost
rainbow-warrior
aucklandlaurie
True Raven
Breadvan
yappysnap
maestegmafia
exile jack
Shifty
munkian
BigTrevsbigmac
bedfordwelsh
RiscaGame
GunsGerms
pheonix
Cardiff Dave
majesticimperialman
SimonofSurrey
mikey_dragon
funnyExiledScot
Luckless Pedestrian
BamBam
LondonTiger
international198
34 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wales team to face New Zealand - Page 2 Empty Wales team to face New Zealand

Post by international198 Thu 21 Apr 2016, 10:18 am

First topic message reminder :

15. Rhys Priestland/Liam Williams/Leigh Halfpenny/Hallam Amos/James Hook/Gavin Henson/Matthew Morgan/Rhys Patchell
14. Hallam Amos/George North/Liam Williams/Eli Walker/Steff Evans
13. Tyler Morgan/Jonathan Davies/James Hook/Gavin Henson/Steffan Hughes/Gareth Maule
12. Jamie Roberts/Scott Williams/James Hook/Gavin Henson/Steffan Hughes/Gareth Maule/Jack Dixon
11. Hallam Amos/George North/Liam Williams/Eli Walker/Steff Evans
10. Gareth Anscombe/Rhys Preistland/Dan Biggar/James Hook/Sam Davies/Gavin Henson/Matthew Morgan/Rhys Patchell
9. Rhys Webb/Aled Davies/Gareth Davies/Lloyd Williams/Martin Roberts
8. Taulupe Faletau/Joe Bearman/Morgan Allen/Dan Baker
7. Sam Warburton/James Davies/Ellis Jenkins/Thomas Young/Dan Lydiate/Taulupe Faletau
6. Dan Lydiate/Ross Moriarty/Sam Warburton/Olly Cracknell
5. Alun Wyn Jones/Jake Ball/Bradley Davies/Luke Charteris
4. Alun Wyn Jones/Jake Ball/Bradley Davies/Luke Charteris
3. Samson Lee/Eifion Lewis-Roberts/Tomas Francis/Aaron Jarvis/Dillon Lewis
2. Ken Owens/Scott Baldwin/Kristian Dacey/Elliot Dee
1. Rob Evans/Gethin Jenkins/Paul James

Last edited by international198 on Tue 10 May 2016, 10:09 am; edited 10 times in total

international198

Back to top Go down

Wales team to face New Zealand - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales team to face New Zealand

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 May 2016, 5:02 pm

exile jack wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
exile jack wrote:
miaow wrote:Anyway, just on the rugby, this topic has taken a diversion. It's not really relevant to discuss the merits of the 4th, possibly 5th choice, openside flanker for a tour to NZ this Summer, when there are obviously far more interesting positional and selection issues to talk about. I understand Dragons fans are excited by him because he's playing well, and has been a shining light in a difficult two seasons lacking in continuity, but Wales are blessed in the position, and he's unfortunate that the standard at 7 is so high. If only some of the gold dust of depth could be spread to other positions, like the wings and props.

Does no one else think Jamie Roberts is seriously hampering the Welsh team's attack?

I don't think Jamie is hampering the Welsh team's attack.He is so important to the Welsh defensive gameplan that dropping him would be a serious mistake.It's the abject quality of the backs coaching that prevents him from playing to his full potential.The coaching fails consistently to create variety in running lines for both Welsh centres,but for me the debate is whether Scott W should be preferred to JD.I'd say possibly yes but with the current Welsh backs coaching no permutation is going to be delivering what we need.My view is that NZ,Aus and SA would be getting much,much more out of Jamie as an attacking force.

Roberts plays the same way for his club as for his country. How can he be tied by a coach national level if he plays the same way all the time?

Jamie did not play the same way all the time for Racing and doesn't play the same way all the time for Quins.The problem we have with the Wales backs is that there is no variation in the running lines so international class defences defend bish bash bosh play easily.That is a coaching problem.Jamie's play on the last two Lions tours showed he is far from a one trick pony but,unfortunately,our backplay coaching is just that.

What do you think Jamie Roberts does differently at the clubs he plays for compared to the way he plays for Wales?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales team to face New Zealand - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales team to face New Zealand

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 02 May 2016, 5:19 pm

Doesn't matter how many times you try and explain it to some people, they'll still believe that Roberts is a one-trick pony. Yawn.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Mon 02 May 2016, 5:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
exile jack wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
exile jack wrote:
miaow wrote:Anyway, just on the rugby, this topic has taken a diversion. It's not really relevant to discuss the merits of the 4th, possibly 5th choice, openside flanker for a tour to NZ this Summer, when there are obviously far more interesting positional and selection issues to talk about. I understand Dragons fans are excited by him because he's playing well, and has been a shining light in a difficult two seasons lacking in continuity, but Wales are blessed in the position, and he's unfortunate that the standard at 7 is so high. If only some of the gold dust of depth could be spread to other positions, like the wings and props.

Does no one else think Jamie Roberts is seriously hampering the Welsh team's attack?

I don't think Jamie is hampering the Welsh team's attack.He is so important to the Welsh defensive gameplan that dropping him would be a serious mistake.It's the abject quality of the backs coaching that prevents him from playing to his full potential.The coaching fails consistently to create variety in running lines for both Welsh centres,but for me the debate is whether Scott W should be preferred to JD.I'd say possibly yes but with the current Welsh backs coaching no permutation is going to be delivering what we need.My view is that NZ,Aus and SA would be getting much,much more out of Jamie as an attacking force.

Roberts plays the same way for his club as for his country. How can he be tied by a coach national level if he plays the same way all the time?

Jamie did not play the same way all the time for Racing and doesn't play the same way all the time for Quins.The problem we have with the Wales backs is that there is no variation in the running lines so international class defences defend bish bash bosh play easily.That is a coaching problem.Jamie's play on the last two Lions tours showed he is far from a one trick pony but,unfortunately,our backplay coaching is just that.

What do you think Jamie Roberts does differently at the clubs he plays for compared to the way he plays for Wales?

He is/was not asked/required/told to truck the ball up all the time.Taking contact and finding space weren't/aren't mutually exclusive.People forget Jamie's got winger skills as well as physical presence.Perhaps the more relevant question is to ask what confidence level exists over the ability of the Wales backs coaching to get the best out of any combination of Roberts,Allen,Morgan,Williams,North and JD.World class coaching should be giving us the centre pairs to rival the Bunce/Little,Umaga/Nonu and Horan/Little quality that set the standard for centre play.We haven't got it yet which seems a shame given the Welsh talent available.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 03 May 2016, 5:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Doesn't matter how many times you try and explain it to some people, they'll still believe that Roberts is a one-trick pony. Yawn.

clap clap clap
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 03 May 2016, 9:47 am

LondonTiger wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I think Wales will win one test. You heard it here first.

Really? Headscratch

It would be amazing if they did and there first such win in over 50 years, but I would not expect any of the four "home nations" to do anything other than lose 3-0 in NZ.

Mind Ireland came damn close to winning one of their tests down thre recently despite being well beaten in the other two.

Didn't England come pretty close in their first Test too?

I think Wales could, if everything clicks then who knows. It's just that against the AB's you pretty much need to have the perfect game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 03 May 2016, 9:50 am

exile jack wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
exile jack wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
exile jack wrote:

Jamie probably has a lot fewer touches of the ball at Quins then with Wales, but a lot more variety, he's asked to run different lines off the 9 and 10, gets in the wide channels to link with the wings and does the usual 12 thing of bosh it up.

It helps having Care and Evans but either way for Wales I think he could be used to greater effect.

He is/was not asked/required/told to truck the ball up all the time.Taking contact and finding space weren't/aren't mutually exclusive.People forget Jamie's got winger skills as well as physical presence.Perhaps the more relevant question is to ask what confidence level exists over the ability of the Wales backs coaching to get the best out of any combination of Roberts,Allen,Morgan,Williams,North and JD.World class coaching should be giving us the centre pairs to rival the Bunce/Little,Umaga/Nonu and Horan/Little quality that set the standard for centre play.We haven't got it yet which seems a shame given the Welsh talent available.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 03 May 2016, 3:31 pm

IMO, Owen Watkin will be going on tour to NZ as he's been left out of the Wales U20s squad.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 03 May 2016, 4:36 pm

international198 wrote:IMO, Owen Watkin will be going on tour to NZ as he's been left out of the Wales U20s squad.

To be rested ready for next season I believe..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 May 2016, 9:18 pm

international198 wrote:IMO, Owen Watkin will be going on tour to NZ as he's been left out of the Wales U20s squad.

Instead of who, I am guessing Roberts, JD, Sc Williams and Tyler Morgan will go all of whom are ahead of him in the pecking order. He may be used to hold a few tackle bags I guess
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 05 May 2016, 8:34 am

He's being rested for the Ospreys next season
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 May 2016, 8:00 pm

munkian wrote:He's being rested for the Ospreys next season

I think that's a load of bollards as well to, the kid has a chance to go to a WC let him go ffs.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Thu 05 May 2016, 11:49 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
munkian wrote:He's being rested for the Ospreys next season

I think that's a load of bollards as well to, the kid has a chance to go to a WC let him go ffs.

He's already been to one and the ospreys pay his wages and want his knee to fully heal before next season

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 08 May 2016, 8:54 pm

Just been told Im being shouted tickets to the First test.

One month to go.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 09 May 2016, 11:36 am

Platinum tickets for Auckland and Wellington. Long drives from Gizzy but got nice comfy hotels for both. Chiefs and third test in the pub.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Mon 09 May 2016, 4:49 pm

No pay if you play for Wales says Leigh Halfpenny's boss at Toulon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36244582

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 10:06 pm

"I'm not paying anyone who's not here in June"

"We could find ourselves in June without three or four players at least because they are going to play friendly matches for their federations".

FRIENDLY matches? What a co*ck. I wouldn't shed a tear if that guy got hit by a bus.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 11:12 pm

If they don't like it then French teams should only buy French players, or change their club structure. The Top 14 isn't the centre of the universe unfortunately, Mourad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Not grey and not a ghost Tue 10 May 2016, 7:35 am

For anyone that's interested the make up of the AB's team has started to be debated. There will be change from last year. McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Mealamu, Woodcock and Conrad Smith Retiring, as Well as SBW and Messam on 7's duty it was always going to. I think the selecters will start with a team mostly made up of players who have been in the environment, but bring in more players over the course of the year. The good thing from an AB's supporters perspective in the medium/long term, is that there looks to be competition for places ac cross the field. Anyway here's the dom post with selections by Wilson and Jones.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/79782191/former-all-blacks-jeff-wilson-and-ian-jones-pick-their-teams-for-wales-series

Not grey and not a ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 May 2016, 8:32 am

Wales to win 1 test

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 May 2016, 8:33 am

It will happen

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016, 9:41 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36250866 wrote:Martyn Williams believes uncapped Scarlets flanker James Davies deserves to be selected for Wales' tour of New Zealand next month.

Coach Warren Gatland names his squad on Tuesday, with open-side Justin Tipuric ruled out following a head injury.

Williams, Wales' most capped open-side, believes Davies, 25, has done enough to edge Cardiff Blues' Ellis Jenkins.

"I would give James Davies a go if I'm honest because over a 12 month period he's been so consistent," he said.

"It's a toss up between Ellis Jenkins and James Davies but [Davies] brings more as an attacking threat and I think he deserves to be in that squad."

British and Irish Lion Tipuric suffered a blow to the head in Wales' Six Nations match against Italy in March and is unlikely to play again until the 2016-17 season.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016, 9:45 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-squad-announcement-live-11309273 wrote:Wales coach Warren Gatland today names his squad for next month's tour of New Zealand.

Gatland is expected to select a party of around 36 players to take on the world champions at 11am this morning.

Before travelling to face the All Blacks there is the small matter of a clash against England at Twickenham on May 28 when Gatland's men will be looking for Six Nations revenge.

We'll have all the breaking news throughout the morning here and you can also follow the lunchtime press conference from Wales HQ.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016, 9:49 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/hes-best-young-rugby-player-11307403#rlabs=2%20rt$category%20p$3 wrote:He was the only Welshman named in the Guinness Pro12 'Dream Team' and voted as the league’s young player of the season at the glittering awards ceremony in Dublin on Sunday night.

These accolades were in recognition of the stellar season enjoyed by Ospreys outside-half Sam Davies after he was involved in all 22 league games and finished the Pro12 regular campaign as the third-highest points scorer.

On Tuesday, Wales boss Warren Gatland is announcing his touring party to travel to New Zealand. If the selection is based on form then Davies, son of former Scarlets and Wales coach Nigel, must surely be on his radar.

The 22-year-old was also voted as the Ospreys' player of the season and has impressed after being given the chance to start at 10 following the regional absence of Wales maestro Dan Biggar during the Six Nations and World Cup tournaments.

The former Junior World Player of the year has shone at fly-half and also excelled when asked to slot in at full-back.

It has led some pundits to call on Gatland to consider putting Davies into his squad that travels to face the All Blacks.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016, 9:57 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-uncapped-players-who-could-11305496#rlabs=3%20rt$category%20p$4 wrote:It will be D-day for Wales’ rugby stars tomorrow when Warren Gatland announces his touring party to travel to New Zealand next month.

Wales face a warm-up Test against England on May 29 at Twickenham before three Tests against the All Blacks and a midweek game against the Chiefs.

So Gatland will probably name a larger squad than normal with a minimum of 36 expected to cover five matches.

With most Welsh stars having finished their domestic seasons now, you would expect the status quo to be maintained with the party very close to the 37 names selected for the initial Six Nations squad.

That included only one uncapped player in Scarlets scrum-half Aled Davies and he wasn’t used in any of the five matches.

So there shouldn’t be that many fresh faces tomorrow with the tried and trusted expected to head to the Land of the Long White Cloud.

But who are the few who can break the mould and maybe force their way into Gatland’s plans? We look at six uncapped regional rugby players who the Wales coach could turn to if he requires.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 10 May 2016, 11:12 am

WALES SQUAD:

FORWARDS: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Paul James (Ospreys) Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT).

BACKS: Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Matthew Morgan (Bristol), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Not many new faces. In fact none.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 10 May 2016, 11:20 am

Tackle bag holders: Rhodri Jones, Josh Turnbull, Eli Walker.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 10 May 2016, 11:30 am

What is it with this coach and picking injured players. I think it has been proven that international rugby, let alone test matches against the best team in the world, is no place for a player to be finding form/fitness. Why rush Alun-Wyn back and leave Sam as the only openside in the touring party.

The guy is an idiot - plain and simple!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 10 May 2016, 11:47 am

It always baffles me when Eli Walker struggles to get into the Ospreys team, yet is picked for his country to play the best team in the game. Same for Rhodri Jones too.

Considering you have Lydiate, Moriarty and King who are all blindsides, why bother taking Turnbull when you could have picked one of his Blues team mates in Ellis Jenkins or Josh Navidi to cover Sam when the last match he played in, came off injured

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 10 May 2016, 11:49 am

Hewitt over Walker and Dee over Dacey for me.

What 'new faces' were people expecting, or more realistically, hoping for ?

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 10 May 2016, 11:49 am

True Raven wrote:It always baffles me when Eli Walker struggles to get into the Ospreys team, yet is picked for his country to play the best team in the game.  Same for Rhodri Jones too.

Considering you have Lydiate, Moriarty and King who are all blindsides, why bother taking Turnbull when you could have picked one of his Blues team mates in Ellis Jenkins or Josh Navidi to cover Sam when the last match he played in, came off injured

Or one of the best 7s in the league like Davies or Cudd ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 10 May 2016, 11:53 am

Isn't James Davies going to the olympics? And id rather Ellis Jenkins than cudd personally.

Although Dee is a good shout to have toured and I would have preferred Nicky smith to Paul James as James is injured!

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 10 May 2016, 11:57 am

Got to say the selection of some of them incenses me, Eli Walker as a few above said, is not good enough for us (Os), if there was a game this weekend I would have Tom Grabham before him, Paul James why not give him the summer off to recover from eye surgery, and the worst decision of the lot, the selection of AWJ, when he got injured they said 6 weeks, which would have had him playing by Judgement day, but to help his recovery we did not select him for the rest of the season, the man badly needs a summer off and be recharged for next season which culminates in a Lions tour, but no, Gatland selects him, he is not concerned for player welfare only in his win percentage.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 10 May 2016, 12:06 pm

GavinDragon wrote:What is it with this coach and picking injured players. I think it has been proven that international rugby, let alone test matches against the best team in the world, is no place for a player to be finding form/fitness. Why rush Alun-Wyn back and leave Sam as the only openside in the touring party.

The first test is still a few weeks away, I wouldn't call it rushing AWJ back. You never know, Gats may just control the level of his training ready for Test 2 or 3.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 10 May 2016, 12:41 pm

chris_501 wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:What is it with this coach and picking injured players. I think it has been proven that international rugby, let alone test matches against the best team in the world, is no place for a player to be finding form/fitness. Why rush Alun-Wyn back and leave Sam as the only openside in the touring party.

The first test is still a few weeks away, I wouldn't call it rushing AWJ back. You never know, Gats may just control the level of his training ready for Test 2 or 3.

And if we were down to the bones in the boiler house, I would agree that taking him is the right call. At present, he is going to go from 6 weeks without rugby straight into a test match against a team who play the highest tempo in the world. He will be ineffective at best. Stupid, stupid decision.

I would have also gone with Sam Davies over Matthew Morgan. I am a big fan of nipper but he hasn't been playing for Bristol and Davies has been on fire.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 May 2016, 1:16 pm

Do you know what infuriates me the most ? This headline:-

Sam Warburton leads Warren Gatland's side
FFS, he is always OK for team Wales, yet he hardly ever is fit for Cardiff, and when he is, he comes off early with another unfortunate injury only to be well enough to play for Wales again.

He is a joke.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/36250866

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 10 May 2016, 1:17 pm

How does that make him a joke personally though?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 May 2016, 1:18 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:How does that make him a joke personally though?

Because he does not give a FF about his region/club. He only cares about playing for Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 10 May 2016, 1:22 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
chris_501 wrote:

And if we were down to the bones in the boiler house, I would agree that taking him is the right call. At present, he is going to go from 6 weeks without rugby straight into a test match against a team who play the highest tempo in the world. He will be ineffective at best. Stupid, stupid decision.

I would have also gone with Sam Davies over Matthew Morgan. I am a big fan of nipper but he hasn't been playing for Bristol and Davies has been on fire.

I would have taken Sam Davies for Priestland and Rhys Patchell (if not injured ?!?) for Matthew Morgan

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 10 May 2016, 1:43 pm

No Sam Davies? Shocked thumbsdown Headscratch mad

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 10 May 2016, 1:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:How does that make him a joke personally though?

Because he does not give a FF about his region/club. He only cares about playing for Wales.

Dowlais, you can't just say things like that. If you've read interviews with Warburton then you'll know that he does care about the Blues.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 10 May 2016, 2:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Do you know what infuriates me the most ? This headline:-

Sam Warburton leads Warren Gatland's side
FFS, he is always OK for team Wales, yet he hardly ever is fit for Cardiff, and when he is, he comes off early with another unfortunate injury only to be well enough to play for Wales again.

He is a joke.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/36250866

This has to be a WUM?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 10 May 2016, 2:13 pm

It must be a WUM. The guy plays his heart out for both teams every time I see him and happens to get injured as a result of putting his body on the line. He needs support and praise, not to be slagged off - but that's the usual tripe we can expect from oh lord.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 May 2016, 2:15 pm

According to Wikipedea, Sam Warburton has only played in 90 games for Cardiff Blues since 2009, that is just under 13 games a year for the last 7 years.

For Wales he has played 64 games. That is just over 9 games a year for Wales in the last 7 years.

Now considering the amount of fixtures that Wales has compared to Cardiff Blues, this would suggest that Sam Warburton never misses a match for Wales, but misses more than half the games for Cardiff Blues every season. So we can see where the priorities lie. OK

Now lets compare these stats to AWJ. He has played 139 games for Ospreys since 2009, that is almost 20 games a year for Ospreys, he has also played in 73 games for Wales, that is just over 10 games a year for Wales, yo can already see a difference.

Last edited by LordDowlais on Tue 10 May 2016, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 10 May 2016, 2:16 pm

I have to agree with most comments regarding selection, except for Dee over Dacey. For me it would be Dee over Owens, if there's a guy more talked up and then particularly unflattering in a Wales jersey please point him out. I would select Sam Davies either, he's not ready and it would just be like selecting another Priestland. Hewitt is injured but might have been in this squad had he been in the 6N squad - leaving him out for Cuthbert was a shocker.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 10 May 2016, 2:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:According to Wikipedea, Sam Warburton has only played in 90 games for Cardiff Blues since 2009, that is just under 13 games a year for the last 7 years.

For Wales he has played 64 games. That is just over 9 games a year for Wales in the last 7 years.

Now considering the amount of fixtures that Wales has compared to Cardiff Blues, this would suggest that Sam Warburton never misses a match for Wales, but misses more than half the games for Cardiff Blues every season. So we can see where the priorities lie. OK

No, we can't. That says nothing about Warburton's priorities, or about his commitment to the Blues. If he's injured, he's injured. Also, he's limited in the number of regional games he can play by the terms of his NDC.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 May 2016, 2:28 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:No, we can see that he's either injured, or rested. It says nothing about Warburton's priorities, or about his commitment to the Blues. If he's injured, he's injured. Also, he's on an NDC, which limits the number of regional games he's allowed to play.

Firstly the NDC only came in last year, I have gone back to 2009. Secondly, why don;t you consider Warburton's stats to AWJ's stats ? He has played 139 games for Ospreys since 2009, that is almost 20 games a year for Ospreys, he has also played in 73 games for Wales, that is just over 10 games a year for Wales, yo can already see a difference.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 10 May 2016, 2:29 pm

Some players are more injury-prone than others. You know that, surely?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 10 May 2016, 2:32 pm

Player welfare isn't gatlands priory either considering he tends to pick injured players in his squads. Paul James was supposedly out for the season, misses a crucial run in period for the ospreys and then is picked for wales......

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 May 2016, 2:47 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Some players are more injury-prone than others. You know that, surely?

Yep, some just never seem injured when team Wales come calling. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 10 May 2016, 2:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Some players are more injury-prone than others. You know that, surely?

Yep, some just never seem injured when team Wales come calling. OK

So you're suggesting that Warburton is pretending to be injured when he's with the Blues, is that it? Or that he just doesn't fancy it, and the Blues let him sit games out?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next