The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New owner at Sale Sharks

+5
yappysnap
englishborn
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
Rugby Fan
9 posters

Go down

New owner at Sale Sharks Empty New owner at Sale Sharks

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 10 Jun 2016, 2:18 am

Sale Sharks have been taken over by an investment group led by Simon Orange, brother of ex-Take That member Jason. They will replace majority shareholders Brian Kennedy and Ian Blackhurst, who were both co-owners at the Sharks. The pair took over in 2000 and helped build a side that won the European Challenge Cup in 2002 and 2005.

Sale, who will play European Champions Cup rugby next season after finishing sixth, also won a maiden Premiership title in 2006 during their tenure.

Talks about a potential deal have been ongoing since the start of the year.

"Sale have performed resiliently over the past 16 years under the ownership of Brian Kennedy, and now we believe we can build on this success and take Sale Sharks to another level," Orange said. "With our planned investment, I think we can close the gap between Sale Sharks and the teams above us."

He continued: "I hope rugby fans from the region will support Sale Sharks and help us to build a dominant northern powerhouse both on and off the field."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/29838662

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

New owner at Sale Sharks Empty Re: New owner at Sale Sharks

Post by beshocked Fri 10 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

Will be interesting to see how influential this is.

Wasps' takeover certainly was.

A stronger Sale would definitely spice things up.

We've seen a bit of an arms race in terms of big name signings, will Sale join the party?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:00 pm

Sale have signed intelligently so far this off season. They regularly achieve more than people think as well. That team ethos might not react well to big names. Greater quality squad depth might really help them going forward as well as being able to keep hold of their youth products.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm

Well as a Sale supporter I look forward to seeing how this changes things but I am not expecting too much.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Sale have signed intelligently so far this off season. They regularly achieve more than people think as well. That team ethos might not react well to big names. Greater quality squad depth might really help them going forward as well as being able to keep hold of their youth products.

Regularly achieve more than they think they will? 6th has generally been their best result in recent seasons. Top 4 has been beyond them. Don't think that will change next season without some players at the top of their game in their team.

Their 9s are a 38 year old and someone whose pretending to be a scrum half their entire international career. Both players past their prime.

I'd like to see Sale surprise me but I can't see it.

6th is doable but they'll need more to break into the top 4. Especially as Exeter,Tigers,Sarries and Wasps looked strong last season. Then there's Saints who will challenge and Bath will hope to put last season's poor show behind them.

Can't see Sale closing the gap.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 10 Jun 2016, 4:22 pm

That's true, they'd really need to change their accountants to make it to the top of the AP wouldn't they?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 10 Jun 2016, 4:24 pm

Good point. Wonder if there's some chaps in Barnet who could recommend someone?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm

Beshocked when you look at the Sale team individually you never think top 6. You think they'll be in a relegation fight but year in year they do well. Only lost one game at home in the AP last season was impressive.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 13 Jun 2016, 9:08 am

Laugh yappysnap and bambam- match made in heaven, you two should get a room.

It's little too hard for either of you to be constructive isn't it?

Sam They can make top 6 if sides like Quins and Bath underperform. Will they do so next season? We'll see.

My point is that I feel that Sale need to up their recruitment and improve their coaching.

Most club sides aren't standing still, everyone's trying to improve.

Will be interesting to see whether new ownership helps with this.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 13 Jun 2016, 9:25 am

I'm game if you are yappy Hug

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 13 Jun 2016, 11:48 am

Sale are not badly coached. I don't think there is much marginal improvement in coaching to gain. What they seem to lack is a bit of quality and depth. If the new owners are going to go up to the cap to get 3-4 difference makers and a couple of good squad players they could viably compete top 6 every year. They are limited in what they can do with 8-9 sides who are larger and have greater spending power.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poorly worded sentence)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 13 Jun 2016, 1:04 pm

beshocked wrote:Laugh yappysnap and bambam- match made in heaven, you two should get a room.

It's little too hard for either of you to be constructive isn't it?

Sam They can make top 6 if sides like Quins and Bath underperform. Will they do so next season? We'll see.

My point is that I feel that Sale need to up their recruitment and improve their coaching.

Most club sides aren't standing still, everyone's trying to improve.

Will be interesting to see whether new ownership helps with this.

They consistently find their way to around the top 6 though Beshocked. That's with missing out in the big names and having their best youngsters poached by other clubs. Sale are prime for a little investment. They currently do a lot with a little.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 13 Jun 2016, 1:15 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
They consistently find their way to around the top 6 though Beshocked. That's with missing out in the big names and having their best youngsters poached by other clubs. Sale are prime for a little investment. They currently do a lot with a little.

They did write off £9.2m last year.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 13 Jun 2016, 2:20 pm

Sale are what you could term a sleeping giant, they have a huge catchment area in the northwest, being the only professional rugby union club for around 6 million people (Lancashire, Staffordshire and Cheshire). If they could become successful and play a brand of rugby that excites people there a big gains to be made. Their stadium placement is a bit of an issue though, by all accounts very difficult to get to. As a fan of Northern rugby union I hope they do well (just not at the expense of Newcastle or Yorkshire Carnegie).
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down