The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthew Dunn

+2
Carrotdude
king_carlos
6 posters

Go down

Matthew Dunn Empty Matthew Dunn

Post by king_carlos Sat 04 Jun 2011, 9:21 pm

A fast bowler with from all reports huge potential but one I sadly know little about!

His profile on the surrey website states, "An eighteen-year-old fast bowler already capable of bowling at 90mph+, Matthew Dunn is an exciting prospect for the future." Obviously a year or so old now but from those who have seen him is this accurate?

Just curiosity really but what sort of bowler and player is he? From all I've heard he has pace, but does he have the accuracy to go with it? Does he get any movement, in the air or off the pitch? At 6ft 1in he isnt as tall as many pace bowlers so does he get decent bounce? Also any reports on other facets of his game such as fielding, batting and his attitude to training etc would be great? Our current crop of youngsters (and there are a few!) all seem to have a very good attitude so hopefully its rubbed off on him!

I know I've asked quite a bit there but I find myself woefully under educated on him considering he's come through the academy! Any help in fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers KC!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Matthew Dunn Empty Re: Matthew Dunn

Post by Carrotdude Sat 04 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

This is a question I myself am very interested in, over to you Corporal!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Hola King Carlos,

Can't really help as the only time I've seen him he was twelfth man! However, a few interviews can be found with him on Surrey tv - no concerns from there about his attitude.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

Despite giving him a regular plug I can't add all that much.

I was first alerted to the possibilities by his selection for and performances in the England youth teams. Ironically he hadn't done all that much in the Surrey second team this season before his selection for the Derby match.

As regards batting I would say he is probably a genuine tail ender.

Let's hope that his performance at Derby encourages hims to really push on.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

I've seen him on the telly in England age group matches and he's been bowling 85-90mph accurately with a little bit of movement. That was one-day stuff - I don't know if he moves it more than that with the red ball.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

Others may scoff at Surrey allegedly buying in talent but we're building up a bunch of young home grown quicks that would be the envy of most: Jade, Viscount, Meaker, Dunn.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

Cheers everyone!

Yep the interviews definetly show the good attitude the squad seems to have now! Not sure who to thank for that coincidentally, attitude like that comes from a young age so could be from the Butcher error and Adams/Hyphen are now reaping the rewards of! Wink

Cheers jbd, good to hear that! Bowling similar speed to what Meaker was at that age so hopefully he can add that extra few mph like Meaker has. Like you say if he moved a white ball abit then he'll probably move a red ball more! Any comments on how he controlled the movement would be great, usually controlling it is more of problem than getting it at that age.

Cant argue the quicks are looking much better this season Simon! Dernbach,Dunn,Linley,Meaker,Jordan (if he finds some form and Tremlett to return of course. Ideally shouldve signed an overseas spinner with how the young quicks have gone compared to Arafat! Hindsights a wonderful thing in sport Very Happy

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

Hola King Carlos,

To be fair (for once at least!), to Adams - the original intention was to sign an overseas spinner but no one good enough and available could be at all easily found. Then - slight Surrey bias coming up - Tremlett went and won us the Ashes. Adams twigged that Tremlett woulld be spending more of this summer with England than Surrey and so changed tack, signing Yasir Arafat whom he already knew and had full confidence in.

Although Arafat has so far been disappointing, the logic was sound.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

Evening guildford

Also would've been hard for Adams to predict the young quicks going like they have!! Linleys gone from second team regular to match winning CC wicket taker and Dunn of course taking 5 for on debut was outstanding.

To be fair I'm also a fan of Arafat. Though he's had a bad start he usually bowls well (and consistently) in all formats so a good signing with no spinners available.

Also anyone know what happened to the anual rumours about Chawla coming to us, seems to have been linked with Surrey every winter for the last few seasons!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:54 pm

Hola King,

I don't know how far we got with Chawla last time but the signing of Arafat would have brought things to at least a temporary end.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:18 pm

Shame really as he's looked a good bowler whenever I've seen him, but wouldnt have cost a ridiculous amount (most overseas spinners do!).

In my Martin Luther King mode I had a dream we'd try to sign Imran Tahir in the brief period when he hadnt resigned for Hampshire. Like most of rare high quality spinners going round atm he didnt last long though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:34 pm

I think it's fair to say that Dunn is an exciting prospect. It is improtant that we don't expect too much from him so soon as he has only played 1 CC match but given Meaker's progress we should expect him to become a very good bowler over the next 2/3 years. Exciting times indeed for our seam bowling department.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:41 am

Yes Carrot we cant expect to much but would definetly want to see him playing more first team cricket with Tremlett away, Meaker injured (have we any more recent news on a return date?) and Jordan struggling since his return.

Linleys good performances have been vital with the above and also Arafats bad start in mind. Hopefully he'll come good soon though, we really should be winning against Glamorgan at home in whats probably our strongest form this season (and of corse another Maynard century against his old club thumbsup )!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down