The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+7
guildfordbat
jimbohammers
thegooch7
kingdaveeagle
James100
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbobgooner
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 4 Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 16 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST HAMPSHIRE AT THE AGEAS BOWL STARTING ON SUNDAY.
Tom Curran is unavailable for selection as he has now joined up with the England Lions squad for their One Day Series against Pakistan A and Sri Lanka A. Mathew Pillans returns to the squad Rolling Eyes but James Burke is unavailable after having an injection in his ankle earlier in the week.
Gary Wilson is still with the Ireland squad for their One Day Series against Afghanistan.
There is no place in the squad for Jade Dernbach or Matthew Dunn again.
The surrey squad to play Hampshire in the Specsavers County Championship at the Ageas Bowl on Sunday 17th July, Monday 18th July, Tuesday 19th July and Wednesday 20th July:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Steven Davies
Aaron Finch
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Arun Harinath
Stuart Meaker
Mathew Pillans
Jason Roy
Dominic Sibley
Harinath and Pillans for me to miss out though Burns will need to get some runs in this game.
jimbo can update us with the hampshire squad OK
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 4 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by thegooch7 Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:02 pm

O........M.........G........Norah planned it to perfection! Amazing finish

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 4 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

YESSSSSSS what a win Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

My word
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

MEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:09 pm

Wow.....sorry I have not been able to comment on much this season thus far...but just got,in and seen the result....wow!!! I had checked earlier in the day...and thought draw....and now discovered we've won.....sorry GB I didn't get in touch about meeting up at Guidford the other week....mind you with the way the match went, I'm glad we didn't!!!! Although would have been good to meet up....With Notts losing too, there is a chink of light....we may yet escape!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:11 pm

corporal mug mug mug guinness guinness guinness cider cider cider RedWine RedWine RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky Whisky Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:13 pm

No problem, Chichester. Just make sure the bar is open and prepare for a long night. The first rounds are on those who said the game was gone! Wink Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Laugh working hard Guildford SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 4 3933776953

Glad to hear it, JimBob. Thought maybe you were helping Mr Wenger with his job application to the English FA. Wink
how i wish Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:corporal mug mug mug guinness guinness guinness cider cider cider RedWine RedWine RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky Whisky Very Happy
Cracking result!  Don't foret there's also Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale

Really pleased for Meaker after all the difficulties and troughs he's had in the last few years to deliver a bowling performance like that!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:43 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:Ok, that last wicket stand was frustrating but...

1/who wouldn't have settled for this position with one day to play when we were 415-7?
2/ if we'd knocked over the last wicket say 40 minutes before stumps, and asked them to follow on, with our knackered bowlers - without Zaf to hold an end - chances are Hants' openers would have got them up to around 398 anyway and had a little useful morale boosting mini-session tonight.

As things stand, we should be looking to take the last wicket early tomorrow with fresh bowlers, then have another go at them with all the bowlers still fresh. It's not ideal and it's frustrating but in many ways, I'd rather they were 398-9 tonight than 338 all out and 60-0 in their second innings. It still looks like a draw but you never know.  

There you go! I don't like to gloat (Whistle ) but I will. Hats off to Norah for a quite brilliant captain's performance with bat and ball, and for getting the timing of the declaration spot on. An especially big clap clap clap clap clap also to Burns and Sibley for great knocks to get it all going, Foakes for a splendid innings when we looked like we might tail off from our good start, then to all the bowlers for plugging away over 2+ days. How about that - we won a 4 day game with no contribution to speak of from either Curran (one absent), Roy or Ansari. Maybe - just maybe - we have the makings of a decent team, not just a few good individuals. Five to play and if we keep playing as a team like this, we should be safe. Well done chaps!!

Last edited by SimonofSurrey on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

Wow - at the end Surrey took four wickets in 20 balls.  In the first innings (in the unlikely event that my maths are correct) Surrey took four wickets in 366 balls.

Looks like a cracking decision by Batty as to the timing of the declaration. clap clap   In all seriousness, if you look at the other matches Notts showed what could happen if you don't build on an opening partnership of c200, and Glam had a massive first innings lead after their innings of c500 but still came rather close to losing to Derby.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:53 pm

Congrats on the win guys. Your bowlers kept going and going and deserved it.

I won't say what i think about that performance from a Hampshire perspective as I'll end up using too many swear words.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Jul 2016, 6:59 pm

I wonder who was the last Surrey player to score a century and take five wickets in an innings in a cc match? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Jul 2016, 7:02 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on the win guys. Your bowlers kept going and going and deserved it.

I won't say what i think about that performance from a Hampshire perspective as I'll end up using too many swear words.  
Thanks Jimbo!  Tbf Hants massively disadvantaged by loss of Vince, Carberry and Dawson.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 7:40 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I wonder who was the last Surrey player to score a century and take five wickets in an innings in a cc match? Erm

Easy one that, Corporal. Gareth Batty. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:...

Really pleased for Meaker after all the difficulties and troughs he's had in the last few years to deliver a bowling performance like that!

Absolutely.

Sounded like he bowled well in the first innings as well albeit with no reward then.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 7:58 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on the win guys. Your bowlers kept going and going and deserved it.

Many thanks, Jimbo.

There was considerable fight by some of your players and those individuals probably merited coming away with a draw. Unfortunately, for them and you at least, not to be. The essential thing for Hants now though is to get a win. As Surrey know too well this season, that's not easy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Jul 2016, 8:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I wonder who was the last Surrey player to score a century and take five wickets in an innings in a cc match? Erm

warning warning  Right! If that's so easy, who was the one before? Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 20 Jul 2016, 9:42 pm

bickers came close twice with 4 wkts #legend
i'm too young for anything before 86 Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Jul 2016, 9:56 pm

The Baron?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Jul 2016, 8:16 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

warning warning  Right! If that's so easy, who was the one before? Wink

I had no idea but have been reliably informed by Marcus Hook, lynch pin of the Supporters' Club, that it was Brendon Julian who achieved the feat twice in 1996.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Jul 2016, 10:23 am

Thanks, Guildford.  I had forgotten about Julian.  As I recall he was an exciting player for Surrey, although not overly consistent with the bat. I imagine he would have been in his element in T20.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Jul 2016, 10:35 am

Hi Corporal - I would have been down the London salt mines most of the '96 season so don't really recall Julian playing for Surrey. Think more of him in a few appearances for Australia. Heck of an achievement and especially to do it twice. I hope the same can be achieved by Norah! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Jul 2016, 12:36 pm

Interesting that after the match Batty criticised Hants for over bowling Mason Crane, the young leg spinner who got through 51 overs. That was 21 overs more than Berg (the second most used bowler) and more than double the overs of any other Hants bowler.

Batty himself seems, consistently, to have taken care not to over bowl Sam Curran, to the extent that some posters on this site have wondered how much confidence Batty has in his bowling. (By contrast many of us here have been concerned that the still relatively youthful Tom Curran was - match after match - being bowled into the ground!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Jul 2016, 1:37 pm

Corporal - I don't know the circumstances in which Batty commented on the number of overs bowled by Crane (is there an interview on youtube I've missed?) but am rather surprised he apparently allowed himself to get involved.

Following on from your post, I would not expect Batty to be too chuffed if another county captain suggested Tom Curran was being overbowled.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Jul 2016, 1:49 pm

Seems rather silly and unnecessary - especially considering we have to play Hampshire again this season

Giving them even a hint of extra motivation isn't what's needed
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4