Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seeing as no one else has set one up, I thought I'd start a 2016/17 season thread for the mighty Dragons.

The Dragons website doesn't have a straightforward list of the squad members, so the best I can do is a link to the page:

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/Teams/Squad/Dragons

Fri, 05 Aug 2016      Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay F
Fri, 12 Aug 2016        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport F
Sat, 20 Aug 2016        Ealing Trailfinders CCBC Centre for Sporting Excellence, Ystrad Mynach F
Fri, 26 Aug 2016        Exeter Chiefs Rodney Parade, Newport F

Fri, 02 Sep 2016        Ulster Kingspan Stadium, Belfast GP12 BBC N Ireland
Fri, 09 Sep 2016        Zebre Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 17 Sep 2016               Munster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 Sky Sports
Fri, 23 Sep 2016        Benetton Rugby Treviso Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso GP12
Fri, 30 Sep 2016        Glasgow Warriors Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sat, 08 Oct 2016        Scarlets Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli GP12 S4C
Sat, 29 Oct 2016        Ospreys Liberty Stadium, Swansea GP12 S4C, Sky Sports

Fri, 04 Nov 2016        Connacht Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 12 Nov 2016        Leicester Tigers Welford Road, Leicester AWC
Fri, 18 Nov 2016         Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport AWC
Sun, 27 Nov 2016        Edinburgh Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 S4C

Sat, 03 Dec 2016        Leinster Royal Dublin Society, Dublin GP12 S4C
Mon, 26 Dec 2016        Cardiff Blues Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sun, 01 Jan 2017        Ospreys Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales
Fri, 06 Jan 2017      Benetton Rugby Treviso Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sun, 29 Jan 2017        Newcastle Falcons Rodney Parade, Newport AWC

Sat, 04 Feb 2017        Gloucester Rugby Kingsholm, Gloucester AWC
10/11/12 Feb 2017        Munster Thomond Park, Limerick GP12
17/18/19 Feb 2017        Connacht The Sportsground, Galway GP12
24/25/26 Feb 2017        Leinster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

3/4/5 Mar 2017             Glasgow Warriors Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow GP12
24/25/26 Mar 2017        Ulster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

7/8/9 Apr 2017      Zebre Rugby Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma GP12
Sat, 15 Apr 2017      Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
28/29/30 Apr 2017        Edinburgh Rugby Murrayfield, Edinburgh GP12

Sat, 06 May 2017        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down


Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:41 pm

It went as most expected I think, although we probably could have kept it closer if we didn't take off our good players and replace them with below-average ones. I'm guessing our scrum went alright until we took Mitchell off and they brought on Francis, etc.

Did Dixon get injured?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 7:58 am

I can't believe he brought Luc Jones on before Charlie Davies. I don't know why I give Kingsley the benefit of the doubt sometimes, because he's clearly as big an idiot as the Lyp.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1001
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 9:43 am

I think Macleod is a real solid signing for us, Angus is coming on too.

Ulster will smoke us mind.

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 9:47 am

RiscaGame wrote:I can't believe he brought Luc Jones on before Charlie Davies. I don't know why I give Kingsley the benefit of the doubt sometimes, because he's clearly as big an idiot as the Lyp.

He replaced Dixon from the tweet I read? Hence leading me believe Dixon picked up a knock...

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:21 pm

munkian wrote:I think Macleod is a real solid signing for us, Angus is coming on too.

Ulster will smoke us mind.

That they probably will, but Exeter Racists just gave them a pasting too.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:22 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:It went as most expected I think, although we probably could have kept it closer if we didn't take off our good players and replace them with below-average ones. I'm guessing our scrum went alright until we took Mitchell off and they brought on Francis, etc.

Did Dixon get injured?

Just wow.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:44 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I can't believe he brought Luc Jones on before Charlie Davies. I don't know why I give Kingsley the benefit of the doubt sometimes, because he's clearly as big an idiot as the Lyp.

He replaced Dixon from the tweet I read? Hence leading me believe Dixon picked up a knock...

Charlie Davies seemed to replace Dixon, after Luc had gone on for Sarel

RiscaGame

Posts : 1001
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Munchkin on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 1:32 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
munkian wrote:I think Macleod is a real solid signing for us, Angus is coming on too.

Ulster will smoke us mind.

That they probably will, but Exeter Racists just gave them a pasting too.

A 6 point margin is hardly a pasting against a 2nd string Ulster side with 14 subs. Ulster were missing Herbst, Lutton, Best, Henderson, Tuohy, Henry, Coetzee, Reidy, Jackson, Payne, L Marshall, Olding, Trimble and Bowe. None of whom played v Saints, with Pienaar also missing.

I doubt any of the above will play v Dragons, but hopefully we will have Pienaar back (missing v Saints) from injury.

Dragons should have beat us in the same fixture last season, and that was against a much stronger team. I certainly wouldn't write off Dragons chances against us, even if I'm a little more encouraged by the strength of our pack.

Piatua was outstanding and Ah You demonstrated just how good he can be at TH. The new guys, particularly Herron, Lyttle and Rea had great games, but they have yet to prove themselves in the league, with points to win/lose.

It could be close.

Munchkin

Posts : 6621
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 2:16 pm

I think Ulster have the best squad in the league this season so I would be surprised if we can compete with them for the full 80.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Munchkin on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 2:41 pm

I think we have one of the best backlines in Europe, but our Pack isn't the strongest in the league. Backrow is a problem with Williams gone, Coetzee injured, Henry still recovering from injury and having to wait for our internationals to return. We are also weak at prop with Herbst and, I think, Lutton recovering from injuries.

We will be without 14 players when you face us. Possibly 15 if Pienaar hasn't recovered. Last time we played you in Belfast you should have beaten us. You were the better team on the night, and that was against a much stronger side than the one you will play next week.

I think we might win, but not as confident of a Dragons loss as you seem to be. I believe it will be a good game of attacking rugby played at a high tempo, and closer than you believe.

I can take a few positives from the friendlies, but I wouldn't read too much into them - positives or negatives.

Munchkin

Posts : 6621
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 3:08 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
munkian wrote:I think Macleod is a real solid signing for us, Angus is coming on too.

Ulster will smoke us mind.

That they probably will, but Exeter Racists just gave them a pasting too.

A 6 point margin is hardly a pasting against a 2nd string Ulster side with 14 subs. Ulster were missing Herbst, Lutton, Best, Henderson, Tuohy, Henry, Coetzee, Reidy, Jackson, Payne, L Marshall, Olding, Trimble and Bowe. None of whom played v Saints, with Pienaar also missing.

I doubt any of the above will play v Dragons, but hopefully we will have Pienaar back (missing v Saints) from injury.

Dragons should have beat us in the same fixture last season, and that was against a much stronger team. I certainly wouldn't write off Dragons chances against us, even if I'm a little more encouraged by the strength of our pack.

Piatua was outstanding and Ah You demonstrated just how good he can be at TH. The new guys, particularly Herron, Lyttle and Rea had great games, but they have yet to prove themselves in the league, with points to win/lose.

It could be close.

Yep my bad, it was Turks who got walloped. Fair to say Exeter have a few gears on any PrO'12 side though? Best drilled side i the UK.

But yeah, we do have a way of dragging Ulster down to our level I guess.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 3:26 pm

First time I agree with you Stone, RE Exeter. Certainly the best drilled in UK, perhaps even Europe and certainly one of the most powerful ones. Baxter is a great coach.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Munchkin on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 4:47 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
munkian wrote:I think Macleod is a real solid signing for us, Angus is coming on too.

Ulster will smoke us mind.

That they probably will, but Exeter Racists just gave them a pasting too.

A 6 point margin is hardly a pasting against a 2nd string Ulster side with 14 subs. Ulster were missing Herbst, Lutton, Best, Henderson, Tuohy, Henry, Coetzee, Reidy, Jackson, Payne, L Marshall, Olding, Trimble and Bowe. None of whom played v Saints, with Pienaar also missing.

I doubt any of the above will play v Dragons, but hopefully we will have Pienaar back (missing v Saints) from injury.

Dragons should have beat us in the same fixture last season, and that was against a much stronger team. I certainly wouldn't write off Dragons chances against us, even if I'm a little more encouraged by the strength of our pack.

Piatua was outstanding and Ah You demonstrated just how good he can be at TH. The new guys, particularly Herron, Lyttle and Rea had great games, but they have yet to prove themselves in the league, with points to win/lose.

It could be close.

Yep my bad, it was Turks who got walloped.  Fair to say Exeter have a few gears on any PrO'12 side though? Best drilled side i the UK.

But yeah, we do have a way of dragging Ulster down to our level I guess.

They are very good side, and play some wonderful rugby. I wouldn't fear them against a full strength Ulster side though (at home). Ospreys defeated them last season. Just a few scores:

Ospreys 25 - 13 Exeter

Clermont 42 - 10 Exeter  Compare with: Ospreys 21 - 14 Clermont

Begles 34 - 27 Exeter

Exeter 33 - 17 Ospreys

This would suggest that Exeter are tough at home, vulnerable away.

We do find Sarries hard to beat though. Thankfully we don't have them this season. We do have Exeter though, so we will see what happens.

Last season was a bit of a mess with the RWC. This season will tell us more about the strength of different teams.

Munchkin

Posts : 6621
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 8:56 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Clearly you are and not for the first time either. You weren't proven right, you said it was a game for the PSXV - I said it was the DRAGONS (note the difference between the two, which evidently you still can't do) not using a pre-season wisely. Everything that needs to be said about it has already been written in here so go back and read it. Wise up little man, you're the most pathetic poster on here.

censored

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 9:36 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Clearly you are and not for the first time either. You weren't proven right, you said it was a game for the PSXV - I said it was the DRAGONS (note the difference between the two, which evidently you still can't do) not using a pre-season wisely. Everything that needs to be said about it has already been written in here so go back and read it. Wise up little man, you're the most pathetic poster on here.

censored

OK

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 11:22 am

Munchkin wrote:
They are very good side, and play some wonderful rugby. I wouldn't fear them against a full strength Ulster side though (at home). Ospreys defeated them last season. Just a few scores:

Ospreys 25 - 13 Exeter

Clermont 42 - 10 Exeter  Compare with: Ospreys 21 - 14 Clermont

Begles 34 - 27 Exeter

Exeter 33 - 17 Ospreys

This would suggest that Exeter are tough at home, vulnerable away.

Fair. But would also suggest league was priority, Europe less so.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 11:33 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Clearly you are and not for the first time either. You weren't proven right, you said it was a game for the PSXV - I said it was the DRAGONS (note the difference between the two, which evidently you still can't do) not using a pre-season wisely. Everything that needs to be said about it has already been written in here so go back and read it. Wise up little man, you're the most pathetic poster on here.

censored

Wow. This spectacular bit of hystrionics passed me by yesterday. So this lingering brain fart of yours is basically semantics? I think it was a development team, the coach says it was, yet because the name was wrong it was a poor use of a friendly (despite noting the lack of depth in our squad). Thick as mince as I've said before.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

Snore. Read previous posts, or seek help with reading them at least.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 6:17 am

So by the looks of things our line up on Friday will be something like

Hobbs
Thomas
Harris or Mitchell
Landman
Screech/Hill
Griffiths
Cudd
Evans

Pretorius
Macleod
Warren
Dixon
Hughes
Howard
Meyer


GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 7:50 am

Seems legit.

Tyler will be on the bench apparently, Amos to return vs Zebra.

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 8:36 am

I don't get why if Hughes is starting, Warren is on the wing?

RiscaGame

Posts : 1001
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 8:57 am

They may well interchange. I think it was mentioned in the SWA that Warren was being looked at on the wing for the upcoming game.


GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:10 am

RiscaGame wrote:I don't get why if Hughes is starting, Warren is on the wing?

I think we have a fair few wing injuries ATM ?


munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:15 am

We're going for the Aussie style back-row are we?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:17 am

munkian wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I don't get why if Hughes is starting, Warren is on the wing?

I think we have a fair few wing injuries ATM ?


I think Risca means that Hughes is more of a winger than Warren, which I agree with personally, was just going off what I had read in Argus.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:18 am

Ah yeah - he was there a lot in his first stint with us. He's much stronger than he looks too.

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:19 am

mikey_dragon wrote:We're going for the Aussie style back-row are we?

Think so. I think Griffiths and Cudd work well together. Griffiths a better carrier and more abrasive, Cudd good over the ball.

We do still look lightweight, but that is why we are trying to play this fast tempo game. We are never going to run straight through people so why bother? Think you will see alot of offload attempts, quick rucks and then, hopefully, some decent kicking if we are out of options Fingers Crossed

GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:43 am

Agree with you there Gav, but I would have still opted for something like Evans, Cudd/Griffiths, Jackson. We should play to our strengths though, that's certainly something Lyn did not have us doing.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:22 am

Jackson is awful. The guy spills the ball in contact at least 3 times a game. Shouldn't be near the squad

GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:37 am

I haven't seen him lately, but from what I saw last season he was decent and you're describing Crosswell! The same Crosswell who didn't wake up and start playing until 60 minutes... You could well be correct now though. If true then why didn't we bring in another No.8?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:40 am

I imagine we couldn't afford to.

Crosswell is lightweight for an 8 but he has decent enough hands. Not abbrasive like Jackson, but doesn't make as many handling errors. Crosswell will suit ourstyle of play this season (although I think they see him as a lock option)

GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:57 am

Nick Crosswell's an underrated player.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:03 am

I rather flippantly said he was disposable at the end of last season. I think I was wrong tbh. He is a good squad player.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:25 am

He won't make any headlines, but he does the simple things well - a typical Kiwi in that respect.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:28 am

I wish they'd stop seeing him as a back-up lock though.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:29 am

BTW, anyone who watched a pre-season... How did Hobbs go in the scrum etc. ? He was starting to look good in Blue colours last season, up until he announced his departure and then they dropped him.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:42 am

Its hard to tell really until its televised - hard to see from the terrace.

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:44 am

He came on against Ealing and made a big impact - although you would expect that against that level.

We struggled against Exeter, on their ball in particular, but that was their loose head doing over Mitchell - sometimes legally, others not.

On our ball we are looking to get it in and out quick is my impression.


Last edited by GavinDragon on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

GavinDragon

Posts : 2488
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:49 am

GavinDragon wrote:He came on against Ealing and made a big impact - although you would expect that against that level.

We struggled against Exeter, on their ball in particular, but that was their tight head doing over Mitchell - sometimes legally, others not.

On our ball we are looking to get it in and out quick is my impression.

Yeah, we don't have Faletau to rescue the ball from the back of our retreating scrum anymore Doh

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 2:04 pm

The SWA seem to think Beard and Dixon, which is what I tend to think will be the two centres for this week. So that's why Adam Warren will then be on the wing again.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1001
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm

Newport Gwent Dragons team to face Ulster Rugby

15 Carl Meyer, 14 Adam Warren, 13 Sam Beard, 12 Jack Dixon, 11 Pat Howard, 10 Nick Macleod, 9 Sarel Pretorius; 1 Sam Hobbs, 2 Thomas Rhys Thomas ©, 3 Craig Mitchell 4 Cory Hill, 5 Rynard Landman, 6 Ollie Griffiths, 7 Nic Cudd, 8 Ed Jackson.

Replacements; Rhys Buckley, Tom Davies, Lloyd Fairbrother, Nick Crosswell, Lewis Evans, Charlie Davies, Angus O’Brien, Tyler Morgan.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 12:43 pm

Ulster team and replacements to play Newport Gwent Dragons, Friday 2nd September, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):
(15-9): C Piutau; C Gilroy, S Olding, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Herron, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (captain), R Kane, P Browne, F van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, A Warwick, A O'Connor, R Diack, P Marshall, S Windsor, R Lyttle.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

Don't normally get this when I read a Dragons team, but I was really happy reading through, until I got to 8. Normally I have to scratch my head way before then.

I take it we won't be kicking too much facing that back three. Something similar to last season would be lovely. Can't really expect a win, even though their pack is definitely there to be got at. Marius as ref doesn't make me happy though.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1001
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

I have this familiar opening-match optimism, even though I should know better. Having said that, they're missing a load of props, Henderson and Jackson aren't playing, and we led from gun to almost-tape there last season when they had a stronger team out.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21211
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm

I take it you weren't scratching your head at the choice of captain, then? I certainly was, and never mind being captain TRT is lucky to still be playing pro rugby after last season. Is there any reason why Harris isn't on the bench?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 1:19 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I take it you weren't scratching your head at the choice of captain, then? I certainly was, and never mind being captain TRT is lucky to still be playing pro rugby after last season. Is there any reason why Harris isn't on the bench?

I think he got a knock to his shoulder last game.

Not the strongest Ulster pack but probably strong enough.




munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 1:40 pm

Ah right, so him and Dee to return in the pack then. Amos, Hewitt and Prydie to return in the backs.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 4944
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 1:52 pm

And Wardle, aye.

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 2:09 pm

Was a bit gutted that I'm going to miss this match but just seen Mitrea is reffing.

I'll just punch myself a few times in the swedes whilst I'm out to make up for it.

munkian

Posts : 6441
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 2:34 pm

I am not happy with TRT being captain, but I'm not surprised he is. T'is the Dragons way. Welsh is best and all that.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1001
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:36 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum