The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Football Discussion

+32
TwisT
LivinginItaly
alfie
LionsV2
guildfordbat
Fernando
Geordie
Lowlandbrit
BamBam
Afro
Samo
dummy_half
lfc91
whocares
Duty281
Beer
wisden
NickisBHAFC
Ent
Born Slippy
owen10ozzy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Steffan
westisbest
Hammersmith harrier
spencerclarke
compelling and rich
Hero
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Atila
Crimey
36 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 5 Empty International Football Discussion

Post by Crimey Fri 26 Aug 2016, 3:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thierry Henry has been named Belgium's assistant manager. 

Another odd appointment, it makes sense for Henry who didn't want to give up his media duties. Will be interesting to see how he improves Belgium's forwards, if he can rub off any of his playing skill onto them it'd be sure to have an effect. I'm excited to see if he can work well with Origi who is a striker in his mould.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: International Football Discussion

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 Oct 2017, 11:24 am

westisbest wrote:Talking to some lads about a best 11 never to play in a World Cup

Giggs.
Bale (so far)

Hi Westy - try throwing some of these names, from Britain and all of Ireland, at your mates:

George Best
Ian Rush
Liam Brady
Neville Southall

And two from further back
Duncan Edwards, the leading Busby Babe who died shortly after the Munich air crash
Hughie Gallacher, almost totally unknown today but a prolific goalscorer for Newcastle and Chelsea in the 1920s and '30s. Scored 24 goals for Scotland in 20 games - only Law and Dalglish, who both played in World Cups, have scored more.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: International Football Discussion

Post by compelling and rich Wed 11 Oct 2017, 12:52 pm

george weah
le tiss
ginola
litmanen
cantona

are few from my era that never played

also de stefano is supposed to be one of the greatest of all time but never played at a world cup

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 11 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

Could do with a defender!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 11 Oct 2017, 3:51 pm

Duncan Edwards?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 11 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm

yeah defenders are a bit of short supply, steve bruce and gary pallister could make up a back three of all ex united defenders

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 12 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

FreekShow wrote:I wanna distance myself from all the Steffan baiting
Ah you can't bait me mate. While we had a team that was decent enough to qualify if we had taken our chances...bottom line is we didn't take them...were poor against Ireland and cannot have any complaints. Coleman has done well but I welcome a new manager now

As for baiting...every English man and his dog has expressed how happy they are that the "One tournament wonders", "One man team", "Bales", "Sheep molesters" etc have failed this time. It's no bother to me. Never knew we were so unpopular though laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 12 Oct 2017, 6:17 pm

you*

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 12 Oct 2017, 6:21 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:you*
Sod off

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 12 Oct 2017, 6:55 pm

Very Happy

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 12 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Very Happy
Just sod off ya knob

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 12 Oct 2017, 7:17 pm

Hahahaha

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Oct 2017, 1:11 pm

Croatia v Greece
Rep Ireland v Denmark
N. Ireland v Switzerland
Italy v Sweden

Don't think that could of gone any better for Rep of Ireland or N. Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 17 Oct 2017, 2:00 pm

I wished the Republic well even after they beat us. But all I have seen on social media is Irish fans taunting the Welsh ones. Can't stand N. Ireland anyway...so hope they both lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 17 Oct 2017, 2:11 pm

I can't see Wales so assume they qualified automatically?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 17 Oct 2017, 2:43 pm

LionsV2 wrote:I can't see Wales so assume they qualified automatically?
You know full well Wales didn't qualify so no need to act thick and be a knob about it

That being said...having seen some of your comments on the Brexit thread...maybe it isn't an act

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 17 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

Better luck next time.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 17 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

LionsV2 wrote:Better luck next time.
Or just be less crap. But thanks anyway

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:02 pm

England continue to conclusively prove that they have the best young players in the world.

6 major youth tournaments this year: three wins, one final still to come, one runner up spot and a semi-final.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:47 pm

Duty281 wrote:England continue to conclusively prove that they have the best young players in the world.

6 major youth tournaments this year: three wins, one final still to come, one runner up spot and a semi-final.

its mainly because our main tactic is to play bigger stronger quicker kids pretty much throughout our whole of grass roots football. problems arise when people catch up to them

i do think strides are being made to alter this, but it will be a while untill we see true progression

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 28 Oct 2017, 5:03 pm

England U17s have come back from 0-2 down to lead 3-2 in the World Cup Final; still 15 minutes to go.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 28 Oct 2017, 5:36 pm

5-2 in the end.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 28 Oct 2017, 5:44 pm

What a top class performance form the U17's!!! Showed the seniors what passion, fight and genuine footballing skills are!

Now without getting carried away, some of these lads will make it and some wont...(Phil Foden looked like Xavi or Inniesta playing against spain) however.....surely the FA has to look at putting a cap on the number of foreigners in the league...ie there must be 3-4 English players in the match day squad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 28 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:surely the FA has to look at putting a cap on the number of foreigners in the league...ie there must be 3-4 English players in the match day squad.

It will be possible after the UK leaves the European Union, and if her Majesty's government repeal the relevant bit of legislation.

It would certainly boost the development of young English players, as the main obstacle to their development is not getting enough first-team minutes at (roughly) 18-21 years old.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 09 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm

Worst penalty I’ve possibly ever seen given against Northern Ireland here - awful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 09 Nov 2017, 9:24 pm

Croatia on course for Russia

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Nov 2017, 9:54 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Worst penalty I’ve possibly ever seen given against Northern Ireland here - awful

I said exactly the same thing. Shocking decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 09 Nov 2017, 9:59 pm

Probably the worst penalty decision I’ve ever seen.
In such an important game to. Ref has a great view as well.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Fri 10 Nov 2017, 7:20 am

So disappointed with that result. As said above, the penalty decision was hideous. Really did ruin the game for us. In a different game there is a swiss man sent off early (I didn't think it was a red but the commentators certainly did) and the ref doesn't ruin us with an awful penalty.

On the balance of play the Swiss certainly were good value for a win, but not like that.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Nov 2017, 8:11 am

Yeah I mean ultimately NI didn’t even have a shot on target, so deserved to lose - but not in the fashion they did
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Nov 2017, 7:45 pm

The Denmark no:12 has a nice name!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 11 Nov 2017, 8:23 pm

Can see them scoring soon if we don’t sort things out.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 12 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

Hard luck on Northern Ireland.
Thought they played well and could have at least taken it to extra time.

Terrible decision costing them a chance to be in russia next summer.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 12 Nov 2017, 8:14 pm

Ricardo Rodriguez is a Swiss Hero. Penalty and then a goal line clearance

Unlucky on the Northern Irish, made the odd chance and got mugged really

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Nov 2017, 9:43 pm

Italy won't be in Russia

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 14 Nov 2017, 8:36 pm

neither will ireland on that first half performance. started well but two really sloppy goals to concede even if eriksons finish was quality

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 14 Nov 2017, 8:40 pm

Can’t see us winning this second half 2-0
Probably bring in Wes and maybe Long second half. Change it up a bit.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

Not watching the Ireland game as got the Wales friendly on (great goal by Tom Lawrence). But 4-1 to the Danes and it's all over for the Republic

Oh well...England are the only team from the Isles to qualify for Russia while the rest of us are sat at home cheering on their opponents laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:23 pm

Neymar has gone full show pony since going to PSG
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:35 pm

GSC wrote:Neymar has gone full show pony since going to PSG

he'll probably decline in the french league, its too easy for him every week that when the odd tough games comes he wont know whats hit him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:40 pm

Seems more intent on breaking out a few tricks than picking the right pass or shot. Fabulous player but don't think its quite as easy as flicking a switch when the time to ramp it up comes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:16 pm

No real desire or motivation shown from the Brazilians to show up. Pick up the £3m & leave. They will be a different animal come Russia, but England won’t be. Looks like ultra-defensive & hope Kane bails us out to reach the latter stages.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:20 pm

We're just devoid of any midfield creativity. Its a reasonable squad outside of that void.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:40 pm

PLayed against two of the best sides in the world, too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:48 pm

Both playing at half pace if we're being kind. Defense has come on pretty well though, Stones and Jones have developed, Walker is a pretty good FB, Rose and Bertrand are good options. We'll always have pacy wingers, Kane is Kane and Alli is an x-factor.

But its all underpinned by Dier moving at a snails pace and Henderson providing 0 composure on the ball to offset it.

Feels like we're back to hoping Wilshere magically gets a season in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

For me

——————Pickford——————
——-Jones—-Stones—-Cahill——
Walker———————————Rose
——————Dier—Alli——————
———Sterling————Lallana——
———————-Kane——————

Not a bad XI that imo - but we all know Southgate will go with Dier/Henderson in CM which is just depressing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 14 Nov 2017, 11:08 pm

Think you're asking to be ripped to shreds with that.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 15 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:For me

—�—�—�—�—�—Pickford—�—�—�—�—�—
—�—�-Jones—�-Stones—�-Cahill—�—
Walker—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—Rose
—�—�—�—�—�—�Dier—�Alli—�—�—�—�—�—
—�—�—Sterling—�—�—�—Lallana—�—
—�—�—�—�—�—�—�-Kane—�—�—�—�—�—�

Not a bad XI that imo - but we all know Southgate will go with Dier/Henderson in CM which is just depressing

Don't mind most of those , Olly. But Sterling ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Nov 2017, 1:24 pm

You'd leave out Sterling based on his form this season? I'd question Lallana way more

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

BamBam wrote:You'd leave out Sterling based on his form this season? I'd question Lallana way more

Perhaps I'm not being quite fair to him (I am no expert and see a lot less of these fellows than most of you) but he never really impresses me that much - maybe I just catch him on his bad days Smile

I'd have him in the squad , but not starting.

I want Rashford in there ; but I agree with several people on this thread that the real problem is the midfield . Not sure anyone has a magic solution...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:01 am

Media sources today stating that Southgate has already got his side, bar one position. Wants a 3-5-2, Dier back in defence & utilising the Kane & Alli understanding up front. One position up for grabs, is who joins Lallana & Henderson in midfield. No place for Sterling or Rashford in starting line-up, to be used as impact players. Just looks like same old, same old.

---------------------Hart----------------------
----------Stones----Dier-----Jones-----------
-Walker---------------------------------Rose-
-------Lallana---Henderson----?--------------
---------------Kane--------Alli-----------------

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next