The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
SmithersJones
robopz
GPB
Be_the_ball
MontysMerkin
super_realist
sirbenson
Shotrock
raycastleunited
McLaren
Davie
pedro
kwinigolfer
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Jan 2017, 7:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).No silly, not the season-opener for the bloke that wanted to make Colin Montgomerie GREAT again, tweeting: "Colin . . . . so proud of you and your GREAT playing! You made winning MAJORS look easy!"

2).But the Happy New Year for 32 deserving chappies who tee it up this week on the drop-dead gorgeous Plantation Course at Kapalua in the "SBS Tournament of Champions". Unlike their compadres from the entertainment industry who mostly declined their invitation to perform in Washington DC in a few weeks, all the eligible Americans, and a few Internationals, will be on parade, the only six absentees being Garcia, McIlroy, Schwartzel, Scott, Stenson and Willett.

3).And that also means that Jason Day will return from his latest sabbatical, hopefully fit and healthy. It's probably a bit early to call him the Darren Anderton of the PGA Tour, but suffice to say the going price about Day withdrawing from a Tour event in the next two years is about even money. He'll be wearing a hat decorated with the Nike swoosh but sadly the possible wish that he might swoosh up his pace of play seems father to the thought:

4).According to Golf Channel, Day spent some of 2016 trying to speed up his game, but felt he got away from what makes him good. "If that means I have to back off five times, then I'm going to back off five times before I have to actually hit the shot."
It is somewhat depressing to note that the Tour doesn't penalise the first bad time, charges the culprit a stroke for a second bad time during a round, and dishes out a $5,000.00 fine for the second. Petty cash to most pros, and especially to Jason Day, who's surely too good a player to burden himself with questions about his dawdling rather than the clinic of great shots that he so often produces? Mike Dean would have him outathere, cooling his heels in the locker room at the merest hint of "deliberate" play.
Well worth checking veteran caddie Kip Henley's twitter account to see his take on this: @KipHenley. Spot on, I'd say.

5).With Garcia (who's a past Champion here, beating today's 50th birthday boy David Toms in a play-off), McIlroy, Stenson and Willett sitting this one out, Russell Knox is the only European entered. He'll be looking to be the first European winner here since Daniel Chopra - remember him and his hair?

6).But there's a strong field of Americans with Dustin, Bubba, Spieth, Reed, Snedeker, Walker, Ryan Moore, Justin Thomas and Dufner leading the way. Various degrees of interest in most of them, especially to see which Jordan Spieth turns up - he spreadeagled the field last year, putting superbly and beating Reed by 8 strokes. Others that I'll be interested in include Badds and Jimmy Walker.

7).David Toms was mentioned here last week as a likely debutant on the Champions Tour, though he'll surely play a few PGA Tour stops as well. Good for him, but it's curious to note that Bob Estes, almost 51, recovered from injury and carrying a 21-event "Major Medical Extension" for 2017 plans to play close to a full Tour schedule. He's earned that, but he's miserable to follow and taking the place of a youngster; nothing personal, Bob, but hope a few missed cuts send you to the Champers Tour.

8).Stories in the press about Wayne Westner's suicide in South Africa. Westner won twice on the European Tour, retiring after failing to recover from a 1998 on-course accident in Madeira. He didn't play much in the US, but there used to be a very mini mini-Tour event, the Genny Open, in NYS and a load of friends of mine, and possibly Shotrock as well, were playing at Higby Hills when Westner won. Demons have been chasing him for years, not necessarily because of drinking too much Genny, but this is a sad end for someone who won the 1996 World Cup in tandem with Ernie Els.

9).The Tour visits Honolulu next week, then the old Bob Hope event in the Californian desert, San Diego (with Phil, but possibly Tiger as well), Phoenix, Pebble Beach and Riviera before heading to Florida in late February. By that time the season will be more than 25% done.
The hottest player in late 2016 was Hideki Matsuyama; he's in this week's field and defends in a few weeks in Phoenix. He's the hottest player, is he close to being the best?

10).QUIZ! After robo's interesting piece about cuts made, one player who doesn't currently pretend to be the best has the longest streak of owgr points made. Who is he?

n.b.: The web.com season starts next week, in The Bahamas on Sunday. We'll be following that on this thread.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited Tue 10 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

GPB wrote:
Tim Clark is one of several players that need an Amber Alert.

What's that for? I think Jonny Depp needs one too.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

robo,
I know this is just about to be the age of Drumpf, but why wouldn't the LPGA demand equal prize money for their TOC participation? A la Major Tennis.

Not actually sure Kapalua would be the ideal venue to showcase their talents, but that's a whole other question!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
I know this is just about to be the age of Drumpf, but why wouldn't the LPGA demand equal prize money for their TOC participation? A la Major Tennis.

Not actually sure Kapalua would be the ideal venue to showcase their talents, but that's a wole other question!
Drumpf? Seriously?  This has exactly ZERO to do with politics... it's all about relative popularity and the economics of men's vs women's golf.

There's a REASON why LPGA purses for regular events are in the $1.5 to $2 mil range... because that's what they're worth to TV, fans and sponsors.  

To suggest that just because a "regular" event on the LPGA might play concurrently with the men... and that it should suddenly have a purse 30-40% above their richest major just doesn't fly.  If women's tennis can support equal purses to the men, more power to them, but the reality in the golf world is the women can't.  Maybe in Korea or some Asian countries they can, but not in this market.

Bottom line... it would be GREAT exposure for the LPGA to have a shot to play along side the men in a REAL event that can count for REAL official points, money, WR, etc for both Tours. And if they can get a top-end regular LPGA event level purse, or even a modest bump because of if, WONDERFUL. WIN-WIN.  But IMO the event will never happen if artificial and unsustainable economics are forced on it in the name of some bullsh*t  "politically correct" agenda.. and not having the event because of that makes it a LOSE-LOSE.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Jan 2017, 3:27 pm

Just trying to be devil's advocate. Nothing to do with politics, although clearly many in this country find demeaning behaviour towards women quite acceptable.
And having the LPGA playing the same course, under almost the same conditions, as the PGA Tour, but for a fraction of the lucre will undoubtedly get Christine Brennan's knickers in a twist, and likely many others too.
I'm inclined to agree with them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 10 Jan 2017, 4:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Just trying to be devil's advocate. Nothing to do with politics,

"Nothing to do with politics"

Are you serious? Did you even read what you wrote? You made it about politics with one ad hominem Tween girl mocking of a name.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Jan 2017, 4:46 pm

'Course I'm serious. As that's his name.

Fujikawa Monday qualifies for Sony Open.
Greg Eason finishes +44 (91, 95, incl front nine of 53) at the Great Exhumation in The Bahamas.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 10 Jan 2017, 4:59 pm

How many delays have there been in the Bahamas.

I thought it was one two hour delay in Round 1.

I guess there has to be others as they are still about 60-75 minutes from finishing round 2 on Day 3. And it is NOON in the Bahamas

A two hour delay should have nearly made up by the next day.

+11 is going to be the cutline.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Jan 2017, 5:03 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:'Course I'm serious. As that's his name.

Fujikawa Monday qualifies for Sony Open.
Greg Eason finishes +44 (91, 95, incl front nine of 53) at the Great Exhumation in The Bahamas.

Nothing wrong with mocking a name Kwini.

Perhaps GPB is called Skip Bornhooter III or something.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 5:23 pm

super_realist wrote:Nothing wrong with mocking a name Kwini.

Perhaps GPB is called Skip Bornhooter III or something.
Even though I find it quite juvinile... nothing all that wrong with mocking a name I suppose.  But if one doesn't want distract from the topic, probably better not to mock a political name simply for the purposes of getting an off topic political sideswipe in... just sayin...

Kwini:  Fine... if Christine Brennan's sensitivities are the big issue here... then perhaps it's better to forget the whole thing and leave the LPGA (or Ms Brennan) to come up with some "more equitable" avenue to promote and grow the LPGA.   Perhaps some other new $1.3 million event that nobody will pay attention to serves them better....  Hey, who knows, maybe Brennan can convince USA Today to pick up the tab...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm

The racist bigot being nominated for Attorney General has a name straight out of Willy Wonka: Jefferson Beauregard Sessions.

Willy Wonka would be better qualified . . . . . . .

But, having said all that, I still reckon the Tours will be on thin ice if they pay less to women at a combined-Tour TOC than men.

GPB,
I think that, given the scores filed by most of the golfers, rounds were taking longer than usual - it takes a lot longer to record 95, for instance, as "Leicester City's" Eason managed, than 65.

PS: I'm not mocking any name . . . . . . just giving him the respect of his family name. Surprised he didn't change his new name to Grand Slam or maybe Holeinone if he prefers golf to bridge. #overrated.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

GPB wrote:How many delays have there been in the Bahamas.

I thought it was one two hour delay in Round 1.  

I guess there has to be others as they are still about 60-75 minutes from finishing round 2 on Day 3.  And it is NOON in the Bahamas

A two hour delay should have nearly made up by the next day.

+11 is going to be the cutline.
I guess it takes a long time for most everyone in the wave to shoot in the 80's in a 40 mph gale. It looked to me like Sunday eve. they had to cut off play way early because of overcast and virtually no twilight... that probably put them later on yesterday's restart as well... I noticed the scoring differential was over 3.5 shots higher for the Sunday morning wave... I wonder if it'll equal out? The Sunday PM wave appeared to improve about 3.5 in their 2nd round... the Sunday AM wave would have to improve their scores by about 7 shots to equalize things.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Tue 10 Jan 2017, 5:35 pm

McLaren wrote:Interesting interview if you are a Rory fan.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/paul-kimmage-meets-rory-mcilroy-the-truth-about-the-olympics-close-friendship-with-tiger-and-the-important-things-in-life-35349397.html

Quite surprised to hear Rory being so open, seems happy to talk about any subject.

I always find Rory to be very open in interviews, sometimes to his own detriment. He can say things in the heat of the moment that he may regret later, but he's always trying to be honest. The press tend to magnify every comment to its maximum because of his status in the game, to get clicks and sell papers... I'd rather he be honest and open rather than guarded and closed.

I don't think what he's said in that interview about playing in the Olympics comes as a surprise to anyone on this website, we've all discussed it to death really, and to me it boils down to a choice he felt he couldn't make as it was going to hurt someone whatever way he went. Ultimately he's a kid from Holywood, Co. Down, Northern Ireland and has a shared identity with all the people of NI. He represents the next generation of NI. Good for him and good for all his family and friends.

Here he is speaking to Stephen Watson, one of NI's best sports journalists about the same subject - http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/38567639

Now can we just get back to watching him do what he does best, and that's play unbelievable golf ?!?!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Jan 2017, 6:13 pm

What ever has happened to the pgatour.com web site?

Navigation has gone from awful to abysmal, much of their info easier to find via Google.
And now the storms in The Bahamas seems to have thrown a giant spanner in the works of any web.com info.

All that money that the Tour generates and they can't even host a decent web site. Finchem clearly to blame.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 6:59 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:I always find Rory to be very open in interviews, sometimes to his own detriment. He can say things in the heat of the moment that he may regret later, but he's always trying to be honest. The press tend to magnify every comment to its maximum because of his status in the game, to get clicks and sell papers... I'd rather he be honest and open rather than guarded and closed.

I don't think what he's said in that interview about playing in the Olympics comes as a surprise to anyone on this website, we've all discussed it to death really, and to me it boils down to a choice he felt he couldn't make as it was going to hurt someone whatever way he went. Ultimately he's a kid from Holywood, Co. Down, Northern Ireland and has a shared identity with all the people of NI. He represents the next generation of NI. Good for him and good for all his family and friends.
I wish they could be honest without "recrimination" as well... but unfortunately that's NOT the world we live in. Every word is parsed to the n'th degree, and often times whatever they say is taken out of context turned into something entirely different than what was intended. This site is just one of millions of other examples of how simple things get blown up... we can't even have a discussion on the potential of a joint PGAT/LPGA event without it becoming a distracting partisan political football.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 7:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:What ever has happened to the pgatour.com web site?
It went from being one of the best and most useful sites on the web... to entirely sucking... and it continues to get worse to the point that now it's all but unusable (except on mobile devices where content is more limited, but at least it loads and works... kinda... mosty.... well... some of the time)

But other than that... everything's fine with it... Whistle

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 10 Jan 2017, 7:03 pm

I find name mocking sophomoric & juvenile. Way beneath the level of adults, like I think these posters are. Maybe I was giving to much credit. You people are WAY better than that, at least I think you are.

Trump is name of the PEOTUS. Case Closed. Not some outdated name from the old world. There is no reason to call him anything different, unless you just continually want to insult him.

I realize weather conditions made scoring tough and rounds were longer. But they are a full seven hours behind schedule at the start of round 3. AFAIK, there was only one two hour delay, which could have been mitigated by overlapping rounds at the end of round 1/start of round 2.

I think rounds 1 & 2 were taking way over 6 hours to complete. Hard to excuse that pace of play. 132 player field.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 7:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The racist bigot being nominated for Attorney General has a name straight out of Willy Wonka: Jefferson Beauregard Sessions.

Willy Wonka would be better qualified . . . . . . .
Perhaps Willy Wonka would be far better qualified to offer political commentary as well. And I'd bet he'd likely understand that a GOLF BOARD is a ridiculous place to do it.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 7:14 pm

GPB wrote:I think rounds 1 & 2 were taking way over 6 hours to complete.  Hard to excuse that pace of play.  132 player field.
Did you even watch any of the first round or see the video on Golf Central? I can absolutely see how it could have taken that long to play. I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like it where they kept playing... not even in an Open...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Jan 2017, 7:59 pm

I DO like Rob Bolton's weekly Comfort Zone feature . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 10 Jan 2017, 8:01 pm

robopz wrote:
GPB wrote:I think rounds 1 & 2 were taking way over 6 hours to complete.  Hard to excuse that pace of play.  132 player field.
Did you even watch any of the first round or see the video on Golf Central?  I can absolutely see how it could have taken that long to play.   I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like it where they kept playing... not even in an Open...

There can never be an excuse for a 6 hour round. Ever

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 10 Jan 2017, 8:13 pm

robopz wrote:
Did you even watch any of the first round or see the video on Golf Central?  I can absolutely see how it could have taken that long to play.   I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like it where they kept playing... not even in an Open...

So next Jason Day take 5 minutes to play a shot, he can say that wind was high and you gave players in the Bahamas that much time to play.

I don't think there are provisions in the slow play part of the USGA rules that allow extra time for extreme weather. Or The PGATour policy.

BTW...do they play by USGA rules or R/A rules in the Bahamas (and the other foreign locales that the WEB-tour visits?). (not that there is much difference in USGA and R/A rules).

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 10:58 pm

Technically the USGA has rules jurisdiction over only the U.S., it's territories and Mexico. But with the exception of the Open Championship, play in all PGA TOUR cosponsored, approved or coordinated tournaments are conducted in accordance with the USGA Rules of Golf, as modified by PGA TOUR.  This includes the 4 WGC's, the CIMB, and the conduct of tournaments on the Web, Champions, Mackenzie, LatinoAmerica and China Tours.

But as it relates to pace of play... it doesn't matter if it's USGA or R&A.  As specified in the Rules of Golf (Rule 6-7) for both organizations, the responsibility for setting guidelines for pace of play (called conditions of competition) rests with "the committee" who is conducting the competition (in this case the PGA Tour). The USGA, PGA of A, the Masters, LPGA, NCAA, etc. "committees" can set whatever pace of play guidelines they feel best suit their needs, and those guidelines can be different from all other organizations if a specific organization so chooses.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 10 Jan 2017, 11:26 pm

GPB wrote:So next Jason Day take 5 minutes to play a shot, he can say that wind was high and you gave players in the Bahamas that much time to play. I don't think there are provisions in the slow play part of the USGA rules that allow extra time for extreme weather.  Or The PGATour policy.
Jason only gets 5 minutes to play a shot if "the committee" agrees the time was warranted.  But he (and his group) are still going to be subject to the time-par, gap between groups guidelines and whatever other pace of play specifics the Tour has in place for that particular tournament.   And yes, "the committee" can set or modify their guidelines when conditions warrant as they see fit... as long as they do not violate a rule of golf.  But seeing as how there is NO rule of golf that dictates specifically how a committee will execute it's responsibility to pace of play in either regular or adverse conditions, changing the guidelines on the fly in conditions such as they've experienced down there is well within their purview...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:33 am

kwinigolfer wrote: Nothing to do with politics, although clearly many in this country find demeaning behaviour towards women quite acceptable.
Thought that was what you liked about Leonard Cohen?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 7:46 am

Davie wrote:
robopz wrote:

There can never be an excuse for a 6 hour round. Ever

4 hours is about the max it should take and that's for a fourball.

People spend too much time dawdling along and walking too slowly, talking when they should be playing, taking practice swings, not being ready to play, leaving their bags in stupid places, looking for balls 100 yards further than they can hit it, waiting for greens to clear they have zero chance of hitting, looking through a laser or at a GPS when they don't even know how far they hit each club etc

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jan 2017, 10:01 am

If it's not US politics it's slow play. Maybe let's get religion in there and we have the 606v2 full house!

Maybe Spieth, Zack J etc would play a bit quicker if they didn't stop to praise the lord before and after every shot.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

Ray, I went to a American college football game the other week, and every single player on both sides knelt and prayed in the end zone. Funnies thing I've ever seen (apart from hands on heart for the national anthem)

Wonder if Rev Zach, Arch Deacon Gordon, Bishop Bubba etc do that on the first tee.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jan 2017, 10:41 am

I'm sure I've seen Rev Zach sneak in a little prayer when kneeling down to line up a putt.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

The web.com'ers are finishing Round 3 of their weather-affected event in The Bahamas.
Haven't read about any contingencies to complete the tournament on Thursday; perhaps the players will go straight back out after Round 3 and play Round 4 in the same threesomes (or pairings as the Tour bizarrely calls them).
Easy to say pros shouldn't take longer than four hours to play their 18 holes, but conditions have been brutal - Eason reckons he's lost 32 balls (altho' that seems arithmetical challenged), and one of the Par-4's has an average score after 36 holes of 5.4, almost a stroke tougher than the most difficult web.com hole in all of 2016.

Dornoch's Jimmy Gunn and Lincoln's David Skinns both have pay-days to look forward to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 2:01 pm

If you'd lost 32 balls, you'd be looking at being at least 32 over par as there's a penalty shot for losing each, so that sounds complete rot, plus it's nearly two per hole.
Why do people claim such nonsense?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jan 2017, 2:11 pm

36 holes super, and he DID finish 44 over par including a Round 2 front nine of 53. Still seems to be pushing credibility, his short game must have been red hot!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 2:17 pm

Even over 36 holes, that' still nearly a ball a hole, so I think it still sounds like a rotten egg.
I don't care how bad the weather is, you should not be capable of losing 32 balls over 36 holes unless you simply weren't watching.

I've played in 40mph winds, and it's nowhere near likely I would have lost 10 balls a round, let alone 16.

Infact, I played in 40mph the other week, and lost just 2.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 11 Jan 2017, 3:13 pm

Gee, and I thought the religion hyperbole and sensitivity was going to stop.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 11 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

This forum's enduring topics ...

Religion
Tiger Woods
Tim Finchem (on thin ice at the moment)
Every other year exhibition event

Thankfully a lot of VERY good content (Kwini, Robo, GPB) interspersed with the above!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jan 2017, 3:28 pm

GPB, I think you'll find only yesterday on this very thread people were commenting on golfer's comments being over-analysed and blown out of all proportion. Surely you can't expect people to change overnight!

Because obviously he was being totally serious about losing 32 balls... His caddie hates him for making him carry 4 dozen golf balls in his bag every round.

Caddie: "Boss, why are you making me lug around an extra 3kg weight in balls? You only need half a dozen, it's not like you're going to lose more than one or two a round...."
Player: "One day I might lose more than one or two. One day I might lose 32, and then we'll be glad we were prepared."

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 3:42 pm

raycastleunited wrote:GPB, I think you'll find only yesterday on this very thread people were commenting on golfer's comments being over-analysed and blown out of all proportion. Surely you can't expect people to change overnight!

More to the point, it's no one's place here to tell anyone else what/how they should talk about certain things. Fortunately as long as we don't break forum rules we can say what we like. No one actually has to change at all, nor should be expected to.

No one is the editor, and than goodness for that. We've got the most free board on this site, others are draconian in their censorship, so appreciate it for what it is, and if you don't want to comment on something, or don't want to read it, no one is forcing you to.

I haven't got involved in the Trump/Drumpf stuff that GPB is getting his knickers in twist about, but I'm not going to have a go  at him for doing so, or Kwini for calling him so.

We've got a good forum, so will people please stop bloody complaining about how or what people choose to write about. If it's not of interest, it dies on the vine, if it is, a thread develops, that's how forums work.

Please will people stop being so bloody sensitive.

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed 11 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

I had one round where I lost 12 balls...... 4 on the first two holes..... Rough so long that unless you stepped on it you couldn't find the damn ball. Shot 123 that day. I haven't played that course since but I heard they came to the senses and keep the rough relatively short now.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:02 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Maybe Spieth, Zack J etc would play a bit quicker if they didn't stop to praise the lord before and after every shot.
Funny... in close to 40 years of following the game of golf... I've never seen that, not once, not by any player... ever.... oh well... carry on.... {{{sigh}}}

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

He lost 32 balls over two rounds. Presumably his caddie is not lugging around 4 dozen in a round. And it is not against the rules to go to reload on golf balls after nine holes.

That said, losing a nearly a ball a hole is extraordinary bad golf for a 20 handicapper, let alone a pro golfer.

Back in the balata "thin skin" days, golfers used to change balls every 2 or 3 holes. Ernie Els allegedly tosses a ball away after every birdie, so presumably he carries at least 18 balls in his bag,

Super, Even a bad comedian writes new material every once in a while. The continuing religious snark is the Same old S***, just repackaged like a bad holiday fruitcake.

"Nine Chins" might have been funny the first few times you said it but do you honestly still think it is funny after hundreds of references? Even my little 7 yr old nephew stopped telling me the same knock knock joke after 5 or 6 times.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:05 pm

Fine, GPB you don't have to respond. That's the whole point. You can ignore the 9C, or Rev Gordon Spieth references if you like, but making those references to religion, is not even remotely near as stupid as actually being religious and a billion miles from bringing religion into sport, so perhaps when they stop I might eh?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:08 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The web.com'ers are finishing Round 3 of their weather-affected event in The Bahamas.
Haven't read about any contingencies to complete the tournament on Thursday; perhaps the players will go straight back out after Round 3 and play Round 4 in the same threesomes (or pairings as the Tour bizarrely calls them).
Easy to say pros shouldn't take longer than four hours to play their 18 holes, but conditions have been brutal - Eason reckons he's lost 32 balls (altho' that seems arithmetical challenged), and one of the Par-4's has an average score after 36 holes of 5.4, almost a stroke tougher than the most difficult web.com hole in all of 2016.

Dornoch's Jimmy Gunn and Lincoln's David Skinns both have pay-days to look forward to.
They finished 3rd round and started going out in same groups at about 9 am. Last group should be out around 11. Sunset at 5:39... so that gives them about 6-1/2 hours to get the final group around.... should be OK.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:36 pm

thumbsup Cheers robo, all on the move. Better conditions as well so maybe the leaders'll finish under par.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:46 pm

Super - I want to be clear on something. It's not your religious views that bother me, it's just that IMO this is one of the better golf boards remaining around the net... that is WHEN the topic is golf.  But what I don't understand is the level to which you're entirely fixated on religion. I GET it when it's topical, but I just don't get why the obsession in working it in at every turn, and about 99% totally out of the blue. Trust me... EVERY ONE of us here fully understand your position on religion. I got it the 1st or 2nd day I ever visited this board... the other 100's upon 100's... maybe even 1000's of times you've brought it up since then are simply are NOT necessary to drive your point home.  

All I can say is thank God Tiger looks like he's coming back to play more. Hopefully that will distract you from your Religiophobia a bit and reignite your obsession with him... at least your Tiger stuff is  sometimes "somewhat" golf related... and often good for a laugh.

Kwini - Ditto you and your politics.  Guess what?  WE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. And same as it was for Super... I say GREAT, if that's your opinion, fine, you're entitled to it.  But maybe it's time to get over it already or at least bring it up when it's TOPICAL instead of just throwing it in every chance you get.  

- - - -

As an American "outsider" to this board.... sometimes I get the feeling there must be some kind of secret society going on here in which there's a requirement to express anti religious or liberal political views X number of times per post/topic/day/week to maintain your "bona fides". It OFTEN gets to the point it's beyond ridiculous.

To all... Hold whatever views you like about anything you want outside of golf... I don't care. And those opinions don't bother me when expressed here from time to time. Diversity of opinion is GREAT.  And I have non-golf/sport related opinions too, I just choose not to bore the crap out of all of you with them, like some of you bore the crap out of me (and others here) with them.  

Bottom line: All I would suggest is if you want to bring up your non-golf related views when it's topical and makes sense to do so... then go for it.  Fine with me.  But for GAWD's SAKE... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE quit peppering every freeking topic or discussion with that totally unrelated CRAP... sheesh...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:52 pm

Bloody Hell, Now what have I done? I strongly suspect no-one knows how I feel, politically (and I'm certainly not a "liberal") or any other way.

I knew that thumbsup was asking for trouble . . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:53 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Bloody Hell, Now what have I done? I strongly suspect no-one knows how I feel, politically (and I'm certainly not a "liberal") or any other way.

I knew that thumbsup was asking for trouble . . . . . . . . !
LOL... OK, OK... Anti-Trump then... I think you HAVE been quite clear on that...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

I haven't even brought it up that much to be honest.
Rarely has it led to a full blown thread, but if it has, so what. Again, it's not your forum, so don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about.

(I don't have religiophobia by the way, phobias are irrational)

If it's about stupid names, well if you have Tiger, Boo, Bubba, Webb etc that you are happy to have, then how is 9C or Rev Gordon any more stupid than those names that people have given themselves?

Did anyone interfere when you were having your set to about comparing era's and cuts made etc? No, if we're not interested we don't bother getting involved.

If we were all the same it would be boring wouldn't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:02 pm

robo,
Any characterization has been consistent for many years, narcissistic blowhard bigotted bullies just don't do it for me, whatever their position. Only one reference in this week's thread . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:06 pm

One or two young hotshots doing well in The Bahamas, Corey Connors and Austin Cook playing well for instance, but it's a pair of Thompson Gunners leading the way, though none called Roland and none "Headless"

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jan 2017, 5:39 pm

super_realist wrote:I haven't even brought it up that much to be honest.

laughing laughing laughing

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 12 Jan 2017, 12:10 am

And Just for the record.

I agree with the points Robo made on his post to Super and Kwini.  Especially the parts

*about this board being one of the best when it focuses on golf

*where the SOS is needlessly repeated over and over again

*and where everyone has a right to their opinion

Last edited by GPB on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next