The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest

+27
kevchadders
BoxingFan88
Union Cane
Michaels, Sean
ian_jamsie
tunes666
mckay1402
huw
coxy0001
The Galveston Giant
Day V Lately
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
Young_Towzer
Rowley
BorrisTheBlade
manos de piedra
The genius of PBF
88Chris05
BALTIMORA
azania
captain carrantuohil
oxring
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
WelshDevilRob
Lumbering_Jack
hitmansam
31 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest  Empty Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 am

I'm not Froch's biggest fan but I can't help but respect the man.

Since leaving the domestic scene, he's fought: Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham & Johnson.

He lost to Kessler but that was a close fight and had it been in Nottingham, Froch probably would have got the nod.

And all of these fights have taken place within the last 3-years!

He made his first championship defence in America - not in Cardiff against Branco Sobot!

He's fought in Denmark, Finland, and America twice. The final against Ward will also take place in America.

Froch puts Calzaghe's record to shame.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest  Empty Re: Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 am

Froch, for me, is already above Calzaghe in the British rankings. He has fought more quality in far less fights than Calzaghe.

That said, your hatred of JC is a bit silly.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest  Empty Re: Froch within reach of Britian's all-time greatest

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 am

Froch has done well by travelling but his performances haven't been Great. Exciting win over Pascal, losing to a faded Jermain Taylor then getting the KO, not knowing how to deal with the inexperienced Andre Dirrell (a fight many gave to Dirrell), losing in an exciting fight to Kessler (the right man won), impressively beat the 'found out' Abraham and now struggled against an old, slow, seemingly weight drained Johnson.

Froch must be applauded but he still has some way to go to be crowned the best Brit ever and I seriously doubt he will be.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:16 am

WelshDevilRob wrote:Froch has done well by travelling but his performances haven't been Great. Exciting win over Pascal, losing to a faded Jermain Taylor then getting the KO, not knowing how to deal with the inexperienced Andre Dirrell (a fight many gave to Dirrell), losing in an exciting fight to Kessler (the right man won), impressively beat the 'found out' Abraham and now struggled against an old, slow, seemingly weight drained Johnson.

Froch must be applauded but he still has some way to go to be crowned the best Brit ever and I seriously doubt he will be.

Rubbish

Froch ko'd Taylor in what was a very close fight up to that point. Boxing is 12 rounds and he won inside the distance.

You cant criticise Froch for only just beating Dirrell yet say the right man won in the Kesslet fight. Both were close and on balance the results were probably correct. The facts speak for themselves. Froch has won 5 of his last 6 against world class fighters, fighting away from home for the most part.

I should be surprised at your comments given you are Welsh.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:16 am

JC is given a raw deal IMO; not saying he is as good as the unbeaten record suggests. But watch his fight with Kessler, then watch Froch's.

Not saying it makes JC the better fighter but he certainly did a better job on Kessler than Carl.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:22 am

Joe beat prime Kessler. Carl lost to one-eyed Kessler.

The whole comparison has become tedious TBH. Carl has done great work with his cv since Pascal - however beforehand stayed around in the doldrums for eons failing to fight anyone of any significance.

Lumberjack and hitmansam don't rate Calzaghe - that's fine. Not everyone does.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 am

Prescott beat Khan, who beat Maidana, who beat Ortiz, who beat Berto, who beat Quintana, who beat Paul Williams, who beat Sergio Martinez, who beat Pavlik, who beat Jermain Taylor, who beat Hopkins, who beat Tarver, who beat Roy Jones, who beat Ruiz, who beat Holyfield, who beat Tyson, who beat Larry Holmes, who beat Ali.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 am

I rate Calzaghe alongside Dariusz M - both good but not great.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:28 am

I have Froch about 15th in the all-time UK lists right now; unless he suffers a Roy Jones-like collapse in form over the last two or three years of his career, or David Haye's results are of such calibre as to demand his inclusion ahead of Froch, I think it unlikely that Carl will be any lower than 15th when he retires, bearing in mind that I have Hatton at 16th at the moment.

Getting higher will obviously depend on a few factors. Let's suppose that he beats Ward and Bute to win the Super 6 and establish himself beyond all doubt as the premier super-middle of his day; that will entitle him to a place somewhere between 7 and 10, assuming he were to retire immediately. He won't, of course; after that we can imagine a series of contests at light-heavy, which would further determine his exact positioning. Realistically, the very highest that I could imagine placing Carl after he retires is 3, although it is not totally impossible that he eclipses even that. For that to occur, he could afford no more losses at all in his career. If he loses to Ward, then I would have a hard time ever finding room in an all-time UK top 10 for Carl. If he beats him, then he is at least in the argument for the number 10 slot, whatever his further results.

Let's see how the dust settles after his retirement, which is the proper time for a proper evaluation.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:29 am

Calzaghe was quality. Wins over Kessler and B-Hop proved that. Look at what B-Hop was continued to do. That win cements JC as one of Britain's finest of all time.

I like Froch and his willingness to fight the best. In a H2H I would back JC.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:30 am

hitmansam wrote:Prescott beat Khan, who beat Maidana, who beat Ortiz, who beat Berto, who beat Quintana, who beat Paul Williams, who beat Sergio Martinez, who beat Pavlik, who beat Jermain Taylor, who beat Hopkins, who beat Tarver, who beat Roy Jones, who beat Ruiz, who beat Holyfield, who beat Tyson, who beat Larry Holmes, who beat Ali.

Prescott is the ATG #1 Shocked Yahoo

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:31 am

hitmansam wrote:Prescott beat Khan, who beat Maidana, who beat Ortiz, who beat Berto, who beat Quintana, who beat Paul Williams, who beat Sergio Martinez, who beat Pavlik, who beat Jermain Taylor, who beat Hopkins, who beat Tarver, who beat Roy Jones, who beat Ruiz, who beat Holyfield, who beat Tyson, who beat Larry Holmes, who beat Ali.

that is a nice comparison but irrelavant; the debate is to do with Froch and JC. My point is I can't see a prime Froch beating a prime JC.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 am

Kevin Mitchell beat Prescott. Katsidis beat Mitchell. Marquez beat Katsidis...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 am

Difficult to rate Froch as he's still active, which in itself causes problems making a proper evaluation. I'd say that, if he were to retire right now, he'd be in the low end of my top twenty, no mean feat in itself.

I will add, though, that he can't be considered above Calzaghe in any way, shape or form as it stands right now. Like it or not, Calzaghe proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that he was the best 168 lb fighter on the planet before he ventured up to Light-Heavyweight. As it stands, Froch hasn't done this. He may well do in the near future, mind you. But given that Calzaghe beat something like seven or eight Super-Middleweight champions (Froch has beaten one as it stands, and one who was a decade past his best at that), I simply can't have my fellow Nottingham man higher, and this is coming from a massive fan of him.

In terms of ambition, making the most of what he has and taking risks, though, Froch leaves many other British greats trailing in his wake. If he gets past Ward and then cleans up all remaining business at Super-Middleweight via Bute, then a top ten spot should be a given, and I'd concede that his placing in relation to Calzaghe may need to be reversed.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 am

captain carrantuohil, ranking Froch one place up from Hatton is an insult to Froch's achievements. Hatton's record is mostly padded.

I'd lean towards Calzaghe had he ever fought Froch. But Froch is a hard man and I'm not convinced Calzaghe's pitter-patter would have kept him at bay.

How good was Calzaghe? He decisioned Kessler, got a highly dubious decision against Hopkins and ... beat a hyped Lacy.

Mayweather Sr said Kessler could have beat Calzaghe with the right tactics and I agree. Had he been a moving target then it would have been a different fight. Sadly for Kessler, he's a flat-footed plodder who fights in straight lines.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:45 am

**Like it or not, Calzaghe proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that he was the best 168 lb fighter on the planet before he ventured up to Light-Heavyweight.

Oh, OK. So how many top-10 super-middleweights did Calzaghe beat?

How long did it take him to unify?

And all the champions he beat were (1) coming back from defeat(s), and (2) never achieved anything after.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Kevin Mitchell beat Prescott. Katsidis beat Mitchell. Marquez beat Katsidis...

Trying to bait a poster who isn't even on here at the moment is pathetic...you complain about him when he is posting yet still cant stop talking about when he isnt even on here

Carl Froch is a true warrior on his way to cementing his legacy as a all time British great

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:49 am

Makes me laugh when people use the "Calzaghe didn't unify for years" tired line.

You can offer other champions money and more than they ever made before but if they don't want to fight you, then there is nothing that can be done.

I don't see why Joe gets dissed all the time when it was Beyer and ottke that rejected the offers.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 am

Not an insult, sam, bearing in mind that Froch isn't finished yet. Hatton's record may look padded to you, but until he was definitively exposed at the highest level, he did manage to keep winning and was regarded in most circles as the number one at 140 for around four years until Pacquiao set the record straight. As I say, Froch may well go higher than 15, but we can't pretend that his loss to Kessler (no Pacquiao or Mayweather, I'm sure you'd accept) never happened. It may have been a tight decision, but so was Carl's win over Dirrell. 15 is fine for Carl for the minute, in my view. In my opinion, he will end up higher, but performance will be the judge of that.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:51 am

hitmansam wrote:I rate Calzaghe alongside Dariusz M - both good but not great.

One of the worst comments I have ever seen on 606. Calzaghe even though should have tested himself more, his record is far superior to Dariusz Michalczewski.

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 am

Yes, yes. All fighters refused to face Calzaghe. He is just unlucky that around 10 fighters could not agree terms... Or, maybe he was the one who didnt want the fights.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
WelshDevilRob wrote:Froch has done well by travelling but his performances haven't been Great. Exciting win over Pascal, losing to a faded Jermain Taylor then getting the KO, not knowing how to deal with the inexperienced Andre Dirrell (a fight many gave to Dirrell), losing in an exciting fight to Kessler (the right man won), impressively beat the 'found out' Abraham and now struggled against an old, slow, seemingly weight drained Johnson.

Rubbish

Froch ko'd Taylor in what was a very close fight up to that point. Boxing is 12 rounds and he won inside the distance.

You cant criticise Froch for only just beating Dirrell yet say the right man won in the Kesslet fight. Both were close and on balance the results were probably correct. The facts speak for themselves. Froch has won 5 of his last 6 against world class fighters, fighting away from home for the most part.

I should be surprised at your comments given you are Welsh.

Rubbish? In your opinion - which I don't rate.

Froch getting outboxed by a man Kelly Pavlik could beat on points. Nice come from behind Ko but as anyone will tell you - he was losing and needed a KO. Credit that he got it but Taylor was a career Middleweight (and faded) as was Abraham. Abraham is not the same fighter at Super Middleweight and his performances have shown that.

There was a huge difference between the inexperienced Dirrell and the well proven Kessler - try looking beyond the names. Are you saying that the Froch vs Dirrell fight was impressive or on the same level as Kessler vs Froch? They were contrastly different contests.

Lennox Lewis is the best Brit ever IMO and Froch has along way to go to pass him. Suggesting otherwise at this stage seems foolish.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:58 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Yes, yes. All fighters refused to face Calzaghe. He is just unlucky that around 10 fighters could not agree terms... Or, maybe he was the one who didnt want the fights.

Name the 10? laughing

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 am

Lennox Lewis is not the best Brit ever, not even close.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 am

**regarded in most circles as the number one at 140 for around four years until Pacquiao set the record straight.

Nobody in their right mind regarded Hatton above Mr. Cotto. Cotto would have beat Hatton to a pulp @140. But yes, he was the lineal champion who was managed very well hence a Cotto fight never took place.

Calzaghe was happy to fight Veit in Germany, have a rematch with him, fight McIntyre in Denmark ... but he didn't want to 'risk it' - his words, not mine. They asked him about a fight with a Jones in the very early 00s and he said he wouldn't want to 'risk it'.

9-years to unify is why boxing has been declining.

Chris mentions these champions Calzaghe beat - WHO? Reid? Coming back from a loss and then achieved NOTHING. Woodhall? Coming back from a loss and then RETIRED! Brewer? Coming back from a defeat and then NOTHING. Lacy? Don't even go there. Calzaghe has a legit win over Kessler and a dodgy SD over Hopkins. Padded records mean s**t. Dariusz M made 23 championship defences.

Fact is, Calzaghe beat 5 top-10 168lb-ers during his ''reign'' at the weight.

End of.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 am

PBF, I think that it's a mistake to consider Michalczewski's record as "vastly inferior" to Calzaghe's. Dariusz did, after all beat men of the calibre of Rocchigiani, Hill (who would win a title at a higher weight after losing to DM) Thadzi and Hall. He didn't travel at all, right enough, but Joe only got the overseas bug comparatively late in life. I'm a huge Calzaghe admirer, and Joe is 6 in my all-time UK list, but let's not overstretch the comparisons - Michalczewski, for all his stay at home faults, is one of Europe's most notable boxing champions. He'd be on the edge of a UK all-time top ten, if he had been born Darren Michael.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:06 am

Name the 10?

Erm. A PRIME Roy Jones Jr. Calzaghe's response: I wouldn't want to 'risk it'.
Glen Johnson - a guy he BLATANTLY ducked - and on Saturday we saw why.
Taylor? Apparently wanted too much money.
Winky? Apparently wanted too much money.
Tarver? Apparently wanted too much money.
Prime Hopkins? Apparently wanted too much money. We're fed this story that Hopkins priced himself out - GIVE ME A BREAK!
Calzaghe wouldn't even fight Pavlik - a fight that was ready to be signed.

There's several opponents Calzaghe missed.

See a pattern emerging?

Peter Manfredo Jr
Mario Veit
Cadbury Salami
Sobot
Tocker Pudwill

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:09 am

Well, Lennox is fairly close to the best of British, Jack. Number 3 all-time to me, and certainly no lower than 5 in most people's estimation. Sam, we'll perhaps have to disagree on how easily Cotto would have disposed of Hatton at 140. I was never quite as convinced about Cotto as everyone else when he was unbeaten, and certainly, I feel that his style would have been much more up Ricky's street than Mayweather or Pacquiao's. Cotto couldn't make 140 for much of the time that Ricky was fighting there, so it's all a bit academic, but Hatton's overall record is clearly superior to that of men such as Benn and Eubank, for example.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:12 am

IF Calzaghe had the guts to chase a prime Hopkins and Jones in America much like Hatton did with Mayweather and Pacquiao, Calzaghe's record would read 44-2. Those are 2 fights he would have lost. Jones would have stopped him and made him look awful, and Hopkins would have made him look even worse. How anyone can rate Calzaghe's performance against Hopkins is beyong BELIEF to me. Calzaghe looked terrible and was made to look like an amateur. How he 'won' is truly baffling.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:13 am

hitmansam wrote:**regarded in most circles as the number one at 140 for around four years until Pacquiao set the record straight.

Nobody in their right mind regarded Hatton above Mr. Cotto. Cotto would have beat Hatton to a pulp @140. But yes, he was the lineal champion who was managed very well hence a Cotto fight never took place.

Calzaghe was happy to fight Veit in Germany, have a rematch with him, fight McIntyre in Denmark ... but he didn't want to 'risk it' - his words, not mine. They asked him about a fight with a Jones in the very early 00s and he said he wouldn't want to 'risk it'.

9-years to unify is why boxing has been declining.

Chris mentions these champions Calzaghe beat - WHO? Reid? Coming back from a loss and then achieved NOTHING. Woodhall? Coming back from a loss and then RETIRED! Brewer? Coming back from a defeat and then NOTHING. Lacy? Don't even go there. Calzaghe has a legit win over Kessler and a dodgy SD over Hopkins. Padded records mean s**t. Dariusz M made 23 championship defences.

Fact is, Calzaghe beat 5 top-10 168lb-ers during his ''reign'' at the weight.

End of.

Yet the supposed warrior Miguel Cotto never faced the 3 best fighters at the weight Floyd Mayweather, Kosta Tszyu and Ricky Hatton. Never been the man at 140, 147 and 154...Hatton beats Cotto up makes him quit on his stool.

Calzaghe beat the highly regarded Jeff Lacy...Lacy was never the same...GREAT WIN END OFF

Calzaghe beat a prime Kessler...GREAT WIN

Calzaghe beat Eubank a fighter he never faced on that level before...GREAT WIN

Calzaghe beat the man at 175 Hopkins wasn't nothing dodgy about it...Calzaghe clearly won the fight...GREAT WIN

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 am

Three decent wins out of forty-six. Hardly inspiring.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 am

hitmansam wrote:Name the 10?

Prime Hopkins? Apparently wanted too much money. We're fed this story that Hopkins priced himself out - GIVE ME A BREAK!

See a pattern emerging?

Peter Manfredo Jr
Mario Veit
Cadbury Salami
Sobot
Tocker Pudwill

Calzaghe offered Pavlik a fight but the reply was that Kelly wasn't ready.

I see your list but you have made up your mind what is fact and what is fiction.

For example when was he going to fight Roy Jones?
Roy moved up to Light Heavyweight in 1996 - Joe didn't even win his WBO Super Middleweight title til 1997. A whole year after Roy had left the division. So how did Joe duck RJJ? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

And I'll say this - Calzaghe at his best against a Prime Roy would have lost but this match-up at Super Middleweight was not an option so why are you pretending that it was?

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:19 am

hitmansam wrote:IF Calzaghe had the guts to chase a prime Hopkins and Jones in America much like Hatton did with Mayweather and Pacquiao, Calzaghe's record would read 44-2. Those are 2 fights he would have lost. Jones would have stopped him and made him look awful, and Hopkins would have made him look even worse. How anyone can rate Calzaghe's performance against Hopkins is beyong BELIEF to me. Calzaghe looked terrible and was made to look like an amateur. How he 'won' is truly baffling.

RJJ would have destroyed him, but not any version of Hopkins. I had him 2 rounds ahead and yes he did look awful. Name me a fighter who has looked good against Hopkins.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:19 am

Do you never get bored repeating the same anti Calzaghe stuff over and over again?

Whats the obsession? Maybe if you explained and shared with us your problem then we could be more understanding.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:20 am

hitmansam wrote:Name the 10?

See a pattern emerging?

Peter Manfredo Jr
Mario Veit
Cadbury Salami
Sobot
Tocker Pudwill

Taylor, Pavlik and Tarver Laugh Is that the best you can come up with? Like they would stand a chance against Calzaghe

Hopkins didn't deny turning down a fight with Calzaghe did he? Only 2 fighters you can have a go at Calzaghe not facing and that is a prime Roy Jones and Johnson.

Who are these 10 fighters I would like to know...doubt you can come up with ten but prove me wrong.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:26 am

**Calzaghe offered Pavlik a fight but the reply was that Kelly wasn't ready.

HAHA! When was that? When Pavlik wasn't a top-10 Middleweight?

**Yet the supposed warrior Miguel Cotto never faced the 3 best fighters at the weight Floyd Mayweather, Kosta Tszyu and Ricky Hatton. Never been the man at 140, 147 and 154...Hatton beats Cotto up makes him quit on his stool.

Hatton wanted nothing to do with Cotto. I love Ricky but he was very well managed. Cotto called Hatton out for a fight in Manchester - Team Hatton steered clear. And Mayweather wouldn't fight Margarito, let along Cotto when he seemed at the top of his game.

Look at Cotto's record:

Torres: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Malignaggi: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Maussa: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Quintana: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Judah: came back to win a championship
Mosley: became THE welterweight champion after Cotto loss
N'dou: came back to win a championship
Not to forget he beat former champions like Cesar Bazan & Corley

There's also:
Clottey: likely to win a championship again

Now that's a proven track record. Cotto's never been afraid to fight anyone. I can't say the same for Calzaghe.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by BorrisTheBlade Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 am

Frochs fight against Taylor was his first in America and maybe it affected his performance but never the less..lets applaud a tough british fighter who deserves a hell of a lot of credit..

BorrisTheBlade

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Three decent wins out of forty-six. Hardly inspiring.

I woud say he had more than 3 decent wins...You can pick apart any record like your insults for example...I hope you saw the irony when you said "I need to get a life".

Beat Eubank, Hopkins, Lacy, Kessler, RJJ, Bika and Reid

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 am

**Hatton beats Cotto up makes him quit on his stool.

The same Hatton who had his face smashed in by Thaxton? The same Hatton who was out on his feet against Collazo?

Cotto was wobbled at 140 but he was huge at the weight. He takes Hatton out in 6. Hatton hasn't looked anywhere near Cotto's level. The Cotto who beat Mosley would have given Mayweather a 50/50 fight - and even Floyd Sr has said that!

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 am

The genius of PBF wrote:

I woud say he had more than 3 decent wins...You can pick apart any record like your insults for example...I hope you saw the irony when you said "I need to get a life".

No, I was still busy being blinded by the irony of you slating this site to the high heavens and claiming you weren't banned when you were sulking over on the BBC 606. Mwah!

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:37 am

hitmansam wrote:**Calzaghe offered Pavlik a fight but the reply was that Kelly wasn't ready.

HAHA! When was that? When Pavlik wasn't a top-10 Middleweight?

**Yet the supposed warrior Miguel Cotto never faced the 3 best fighters at the weight Floyd Mayweather, Kosta Tszyu and Ricky Hatton. Never been the man at 140, 147 and 154...Hatton beats Cotto up makes him quit on his stool.

Hatton wanted nothing to do with Cotto. I love Ricky but he was very well managed. Cotto called Hatton out for a fight in Manchester - Team Hatton steered clear. And Mayweather wouldn't fight Margarito, let along Cotto when he seemed at the top of his game.

Look at Cotto's record:

Torres: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Malignaggi: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Maussa: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Quintana: undefeated, came back to win a championship
Judah: came back to win a championship
Mosley: became THE welterweight champion after Cotto loss
N'dou: came back to win a championship
Not to forget he beat former champions like Cesar Bazan & Corley

There's also:
Clottey: likely to win a championship again

Now that's a proven track record. Cotto's never been afraid to fight anyone. I can't say the same for Calzaghe.

Hatton fought Pacquiao and Mayweather yet ducked Cotto. Laugh

Cotto never called Mayweather out he would have no chance like Margocheato.

Paulie Malignaggi nearly beat Cotto for goodness sake. I don't care if they were undefeated they were paper champions for Cotto to pad up his record. Should we now laud Hatton's win over Urango?

Ducked Mayweather, Tsyzu and Hatton at 140...What excuses he had not to fight any one of 3...Malignaggi nearly beat him but Hatton would have no chance? Beats Cotto at 140 or 147.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 am

So HMS can we infer from this you don't rate Calzaghe, geez, it is true, you do indeed learn something new every day. Now if I could only clear up where D4 stands on Mayweather I could be assured a good nights sleep tonight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:40 am

Somebody should set a forum where Cottos and Calzaghes record are the only topics of discussions. Might help some souls find peace, or failing that, spare the rest of us.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 am

Well no, Sam, not that Hatton. Hatton's comfortable win against Thaxton some way before Ricky's peak is surely not evidence to show how he might have gone in his prime against Cotto?! Whatever the case there, his fight against Collazo certainly isn't. Ricky simply wasn't a welterweight; at 147, to use a horse-racing comparison, he was about a stone inferior to his level at 140. As you say, Miguel got awfully tight at light-welter, and I would have liked Hatton's chances against him on a horses for courses basis.

Cotto's win against Mosley, of course, was both his best performance and his best result. However, it would still have left him dominated by Floyd, I can only surmise that Mayweather senuior had his tongue rather firmly in his cheek when suggesting otherwise.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:48 am

hitmansam wrote:**Hatton beats Cotto up makes him quit on his stool.

The same Hatton who had his face smashed in by Thaxton? The same Hatton who was out on his feet against Collazo?

Cotto was wobbled at 140 but he was huge at the weight. He takes Hatton out in 6. Hatton hasn't looked anywhere near Cotto's level. The Cotto who beat Mosley would have given Mayweather a 50/50 fight - and even Floyd Sr has said that!

The same Cotto who was out on his feet against Torres...the same Cotto who quit against Margarito and stopped trying to win against Pacquiao...the same Cotto who had his face smashed by Clottey...the same Cotto who got hurt against the punching power off Malignaggi.

Cotto barely beat Mosley but carry on deluding yourself it's a 50/50 fight he has no chance against Mayweather...Floyd Sr also said De la hoya beat Mayweather, you believe that as well.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:

No, I was still busy being blinded by the irony of you slating this site to the high heavens and claiming you weren't banned when you were sulking over on the BBC 606. Mwah!

Coming from someone who spends their time sulking on 606v2 about D4...yet you claimed on 606v2 this site was bad as bbc 606 when you were having your tantrums as you were slating D4 articles when you rarely contribute anything yourself...On that note im off to write a boxing article feel free to contribute.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 am

Hatton fought Pacquiao and Mayweather yet ducked Cotto. Laugh

Paulie Malignaggi nearly beat Cotto for goodness sake. I don't care if they were undefeated they were paper champions for Cotto to pad up his record. Should we now laud Hatton's win over Urango?

Ducked Mayweather, Tsyzu and Hatton at 140...What excuses he had not to fight any one of 3...Malignaggi nearly beat him but Hatton would have no chance? Beats Cotto at 140 or 147.
Cotto boxed Margarito's ears off for 7 rounds, we all know the truth about that fight. Miguel never called him out? he said plenty of times he wanted to fight Mayweather, just it isn't his style to start shouting his mouth off like Mayweather and being a bully, he is an happy man he doesn't need all that. Mayweather was beaten to the punch, troubled hugely and pinged by the speed of Judah in their fight for 7 rounds, Cotto absolutely destroyed him, Cotto outboxed Mosley 4 years ago without nearly being knocked spark out of the ancient one 4 years later. Did Cotto get in the ring with Pacquiao though? mmmmm yeah, he might of lost but at least he got in their, Mayweather won't not fight Pacquiao because of steroids, he only takes fights he knows he'll win. Your the typical Mayweather football society fan, laughable. laughing

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 am

Coming from someone who spends their time sulking on 606v2 about D4...yet you claimed on 606v2 this site was bad as bbc 606 when you were having your tantrums as you were slating D4 articles when you rarely contribute anything yourself...On that note im off to write a boxing article feel free to contribute.
Shantel Jackson Girlfriend is BACK

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am

Young_Towzer wrote:Hatton fought Pacquiao and Mayweather yet ducked Cotto. Laugh

Cotto boxed Margarito's ears off for 7 rounds, we all know the truth about that fight. Miguel never called him out? he said plenty of times he wanted to fight Mayweather, just it isn't his style to start shouting his mouth off like Mayweather and being a bully, he is an happy man he doesn't need all that. Mayweather was beaten to the punch, troubled hugely and pinged by the speed of Judah in their fight for 7 rounds, Cotto absolutely destroyed him, Cotto outboxed Mosley 4 years ago without nearly being knocked spark out of the ancient one 4 years later. Did Cotto get in the ring with Pacquiao though? mmmmm yeah, he might of lost but at least he got in their, Mayweather won't not fight Pacquiao because of steroids, he only takes fights he knows he'll win. Your the typical Mayweather football society fan, laughable. laughing

The only thing laughable is your boxing comments like Degale will destroy Groves in 4 rounds or Khan beats Mayweather which I remember on your old 606 account...im not a soccer fan for the record Southpaw...Your the typical Kevin Mitchell soccer supporting boxing fan who supports the BNP and makes laughable excuses for his loss to Katsidis laughing

Cotto quit against Margarito some warrior he is...Cotto ducked Mayweather, Tszyu and Hatton at 140...Haha Cotto admitted he was badly hurt against Mosley which is why he went on the run in the second half of the fight and just barely beat Mosley...and it wasn't 4 years later, it was 2 and half years later so get your facts right... Zab Judah also hurt Cotto in the fight...Mayweather wont fight Pacquiao because Pacquiao doesn't want to take the test!!!

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 am

Young_Towzer wrote:Coming from someone who spends their time sulking on 606v2 about D4...yet you claimed on 606v2 this site was bad as bbc 606 when you were having your tantrums as you were slating D4 articles when you rarely contribute anything yourself...On that note im off to write a boxing article feel free to contribute.
Shantel Jackson Girlfriend is BACK

If your going to insult me in the future "Stephanie" at least make it funny.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next