The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho)

+7
TrackJack
armchairfan1
djlovesyou
CJB
Izzymiyagh1
UN03
lsabre
11 posters

Go down

ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho) Empty ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho)

Post by lsabre Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

Alright, since the big news have surfaced that Teddy Tamgho has entered the men's triple jump to engage in a mighty battle against Phillips Idowu in the next leg of the Diamond League meeting in New York, we could as well get a relative thread underway for Saturday from now. So let's get the start-lists for starters:

http://www.diamondleague-newyork.com/en/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview/

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho) Empty Re: ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho)

Post by lsabre Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

Here's the respective report from the IAAF website on the great battle of the triple jump at hand:

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/dlm/news/newsid=60263.html

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho) Empty Re: ADIDAS Grand Prix, New York, June 9 (Idowu vs Tamgho)

Post by UN03 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

Looks like Olsson and Oprea are entered too, so could be a 4 way tustle even, assuming they are all fit and well. Tamgho jumped his 17.98 here last year, so I would have him as warm faviroute, esprcially after his world indoor record earlier this year.

UN03

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzymiyagh1 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

Yup - a real test for Idowu - but he's got toughness now that didn't quite have a few years back ( that's the 'kiss-of-death' then egg )

Izzymiyagh1

Back to top Go down

Post by UN03 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

what happened to Nelson Evora, is he back from injury this season? If so its goin to be an incredible world championships.

UN03

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

Nelson Evora missed the whole last year due to injury but stated last month that he was ready and fully fit again to take on Phillips Idowu and Teddy Tamgho this season. He was due to compete at the Diamond League meeting in Rome but didn't show up a couple of weeks ago.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm

Let's get the list of the Brits in action in the 'Big Apple' tomorrow:

Men
400m Michael Bingham
1500m (national race) Lee Emanuel
400mh Dai Greene
TJ Phillips Idowu

Women
400 (national race) Shana Cox
800m Jemma Simpson
100mh Tiffany Offili-Porter, Jessica Ennis
LJ Jessica Ennis

Hannah England has withdrawn from the women's 1500m.

Incidentally, the men's 100m field is yet to be released while it is very intriguing that both Carmelita Jeter and Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce have moved up to joust over the longer sprint against Allyson Felix on her very own ground.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:58 pm

Isabre I've posted the game Very Happy

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

Thanks a lot!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

Isabre any idea what time the event starts, the time difference has confused me :L

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

They're 5 hours behind us if that helps.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:31 pm

Any idea why Hannah England has withdrawn? Is she injured?

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by UN03 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

It starts at 8 on the red butten - so channel 301 to the rest of us. Seems strange that this is later billed than Eugene even though there is less of a time delay.
I'm looking forward to the womens hurdles seeing Brigitte Foster against Lolo Jones back should be a highlight, as should the mens 100m.
I'm personally lovin the amount of athletics on tv at the moment- keep it coming BBC Smile

UN03

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm

Here's the IAAF preview of the Diamond League meeting in the 'Big Apple' tomorrow:

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/dlm/news/newsid=60299.html

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 11 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

Meanwhile, Michael Bingham has been 'relegated' to the B non-Diamond League-scoring race of the men's 400m while Jessica Ennis will be going in lane one of the women's 100m hurdles, far across her namesake Delloreen.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by TrackJack Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

Looks like the long jumpers a jumping into a -2.3ms headwind! will that help or hinder the sprinters in NY? and also will the Triple jump use the same runway? if so not good condition! LJ first round most girls around 6metres! Rybalko leading with 6.24! YES THAT LOW! Ennis 6th 6.03m into a -3.5ms wind.

TrackJack

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

Jemma simpson comes 3rd In 2:02:30.

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Really bad call by the starters for the 100m. They could at least disqualify the right people. This rule is making a mockery of the athletes, and the crowd isn't helping.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm

All in all the rain rather spoiled the whole Grand Prix. Not one that will stick in the memory for long. Many top athletes didn't handle the weather to well. Makes you think if it that wet and windy in London next year (which lets face it there is always a good chance) that we could have a few upsets.

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm

I sense it was a good call to go out tonight rather than stay in and watch the DL meeting as things turned out in the end, even though I didn't know what conditions were like in New York today.

And to think that I was more concerned about the BMC meeting in Watford in terms of the weather, having read that it was quite windy over there in the morning, but as Nick McCormick said conditions were fine there. As a matter of fact, he ran 1:48 over 800 (don't know the exact time yet) to show that he's coming along nicely this summer.

Very little, if anything, to read into what happened over in the Big Apple tonight at a meeting devastated by appalling weather conditions throughout and a horribly slow starter adding his own touch by ruining that 100m men's race.

With a really funny comment from Jason Henderson that there was nothing to scare Usain Bolt there! Well, what did he really expect to see in a race against such a headwind (-3.7m/sec I think?) and with a starter that did more than his best to dismantle?

Jemma Simpson said that she suffered round the second lap in these gales while her cause was hampered further when the pacemaker stopped dead right before her, forcing her to virtually stop short.

I'm pleased that Phillips Idowu maintained his nerve to easily put that competition away, I think 16.67m wasn't bad given circumstances, and go 1-0 up on Teddy Tamgho who fell into deep waters today.

Good run in the 400m by Michael Bingham who's getting better with every race and I think that the British selectors may have well got it wrong in overlooking him to the individual spot for the European Team Champs next weekend, unless he himself pulled out of the running.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm

The one thing you might find interesting about the 100m lsabre if you missed it was that even though he lost Tyson Gay's Drive and Pick up phases were amazing. He had a shocking start but closed up a lot of ground on Mulllins and should have won but he dipped a fraction early. But it really shows to me the form Gay is in if he gets a good start!

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:20 pm

Thankyou Armchairfan!

By the way, Bingham's time was 45.42 secs, a B standard for Deagu, to go top of the UK lists this season.

A shame that Tiffany Offili-Porter clipped that last hurdle to miss out on a big win there but I guess her eventual 13.11 secs into a -3.7m/sec headwind run that way leaves plenty of promise, as does Jessica Ennis's 13.27 secs in the same race.

In fact, I think that Tiffany broke the duck to beat Jessica for the first time over the sprint hurdles since she started competing for Britain.

Dai Greene sounded content to have survived his race and finish still in the top three in the men's 400m hurdles in 49.07, narrowly beating LJ van Zyl for the first time this season.

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:25 pm

yeah makes you think what 13:11 with -3.7 equates to in a negative or positive wind. Surely a good 4 or 5 tenths. So maybe she is on for a low 12.6 or late 12.5 run Smile

I can dream!!

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by etuoyo Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:21 am

Can someone explain to me how come the guy that triggered off Padget did not get disqualified in the 100m? Surely such a huge movement should have shown on the computer. And even if it did not shouldn't the judges be looking at action replay and not just the reaction times on the computer? Surely with this new no false start (stupid) rule they should make absolutely certain before they award false starts. Otherwise it just ruins the sport. I gather from the commentaries there were similar issues in Eugene.

etuoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:33 am

I think the new false start rule is good, it's just the policing of it that needs to be done properly. Last night was purely down to the judges not looking at the replay it was so obvious on the tv/internet.
Swimming has used this false start for years and it is drilled into kids from a young age, the number of false starts is minute whcih is fair to all.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:48 pm

Most sprinters I know or have got the sense of, from very top down to the ground, don't like the new false rule and so I would align myself with them in that matter. They should have been the first to enquire about it and they were never asked.

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

I think its a case we are stuck with the rule now though. I defintley would not want to go back to the farces of the past where everyone got one false start and you never saw a race get off first time.

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by UN03 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

I enjoyed this meet- but it seemed to give more questions than answers; such as...
- Has Van Zyl peaked too soon?
- Was Tyson Gay having an off day; or does he come unnerved under false starts?
- What has happened to the 2010 form of Renauld Lavillenie and Jeremy Wariner?

Performance of the day would have to be Oscar Pistorious for me- running 45.5 from the inside lane in wet conditions.

UN03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

I think van Zyl will peak at the world championships, he did what any wise athlete would do in those conditions he took care!

Very low 47s for the world championships, i am not saying he will win it but he will be there roundabouts Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by tootingmick Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

As Ella Fitsgerald sang "I love New York in June, how about you" !
For younger readers Ella was the Cheryl Cole of
her day with one small difference. Ella could sing !
Meet was wrecked by the weather. End of......
As a footnote if the stadium used is the best New York
can offer maybe Crystal Palace is not so bad after all.

tootingmick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down